FlowMap Painter

• Offline / Send Message
  • 1.4K Replies
flowMapPainter.jpg
(if you look closely, you'll note that I painted greentooth into that flowmap)

Updated 4 October:
v0.9.2 for Windows
v0.9.2 for OSX

http://teckartist.com/?page_id=107

[update_4_Oct]
I've added the ability to actually load flowmaps, so you can either pick up where you left off in your last session, or load up a simmed flowmap to tweak, for example. Tiling/wrapping option, too. A few more additions and fixes in the 0.9.2 update (October 4).
[/update]

So I've been working on a vertex painter for Unity for a while now, and at some point decided to add flowmap painting functionality to it. Then I realised that this would be pretty useful outside of just Unity, so I ported most of the code to work at runtime, and put together a rudimentary standalone build. I'm gonna keep updating/maintaining it, adding functionality as necessary, as well as fixing stuff that might be broken. Also, I'd like to make it such that the UI isn't as fuck-ugly as it is currently :p

A video of it as of last Friday:
[ame=""]Working, rudimentary, standalone flow map painter built in Unity - YouTube[/ame]

I've since added [ugly] functionality to load your own tiling texture for preview, and also to load an overlay image (eg. an overhead shot of your terrain so you know how you want your flow to look like).

As a sidenote, this could probably be used to create maps for anisotropic specular, for example.

Have at it, and feel free to abuse the shit out of the feedback button to spam me with bug reports and suggestions! :)

Replies

• Oniram
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 2.3K Replies
    oh wow! this is amazing! thanks for this excellent tool.
  • Brendan
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 375 Replies
    Oh god this is fantastic.

Is there any plan to include alternate brushes (like 'flow outwards' or 'flow inwards' or 'vortex') or anything?
  • LoTekK
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 1.4K Replies
    Brendan wrote: »
    Is there any plan to include alternate brushes (like 'flow outwards' or 'flow inwards' or 'vortex') or anything?
    Yup! I've started getting the code ready for flow out/in (basically pinch/inflate). Vortex will take a bit of thinking, but should be doable. I'm also trying to implement a blur/blend brush.
  • cman2k
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 586 Replies
    <3 <3 <3

This really is amazing man, thanks so much for sharing this with the community!
  • konstruct
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 2K Replies
    SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!!!!!

It would be interesting to see a third dimension applied to this. I cant even imagine how editing that would work. *head explodes*
  • daemoria
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 84 Replies
    konstruct, you mean as the plane that currently exists just rotated in a 3d space, or actual importing of the target geometry that you are generating the flowmap for? I think the later would be more trouble than it's worth, seeing as textures are normally painted from this perspective anyway, I don't think the rotated plane would help either.

This app looks awesome, and I can already think of ways I can use this. Im going to see if the textures can be used to generate anistropic highlight normals for hair...
  • haiddasalami
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 2.3K Replies
    Awesome stuff Teck!
  • waf
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 26 Replies
    brilliant work!
  • ScribbleHead
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 105 Replies
    Holy cow! Awesome job LoTekK
  • Ace-Angel
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 4.7K Replies
    Great job!
  • sinistergfx
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 477 Replies
    Very nice! Sounds like you've got good plans for features too! Thanks!

I had actually written up an article on a new method for creating flow maps in Photoshop (just needed to create screenshots), but now it seems kinda useless :P.
  • Gannon
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 1K Replies
    Sweeeeeeeet!
  • breakneck
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 799 Replies
    amazing! thanks for sharing!
  • konstruct
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 2K Replies
    I`m thinking like a flow volume. As opposed to a 2d flow map surface I`m not sure if the usage would be for a simple texture anymore though, but more so control of the movement of AI, or FX in a 3d space or something. I dunno I`m kind of thinking out loud. Pay no attention to the crazy guy in the corner.
  • tristamus
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 673 Replies
    Wow......fucking impressive.

Thank you.
  • Computron
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 1.8K Replies
    Wow, your app, if you will pardon my french, blows every other flow editor out of the water. Or lava... eh, it's up to you...
  • SirCalalot
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 869 Replies
    Absolutely fantastic!
    The option to have the flow field lines visible (while simple enough) is genius :)
  • aajohnny
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 1.4K Replies
    Wow awesome, I'll be using this a lot :)
  • Gheromo
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 329 Replies
    Thanks for sharing. Will try it out soon.
  • LoTekK
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 1.4K Replies
    Thanks for the kind words, folks! :)

I've done a bit of an update.
    - fixed a bug with the overlay feature (it was broken)
    - added a pinch/inflate brush, as well as a vortex brush
    - added pan/zoom functionality
    - version checker, too!
    - I'm using a denser plane right now, since you can zoom in
    - this unfortunately means the flow lines preview is a bit... slow

and its own page (since the version checker will direct you here if you're due for an update):
    http://teckartist.com/?page_id=107

sinistergfx:
    I'd actually be curious to see what you came up with. I love thinking up and seeing crazy approaches to impossible things :D

konstruct:
    It's funny, actually, I'd started getting crazy ideas of using these to drive some sort of gameplay... directing particles or some such malarkey :p
  • Snader
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 2.6K Replies
    Maybe an idea to have a customizable density? Make it scalable to low/high performance machines.
  • LoTekK
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 1.4K Replies
    Snader wrote: »
    Maybe an idea to have a customizable density? Make it scalable to low/high performance machines.
    Sometimes I miss the most obvious things. Thanks for that, I'll figure a good way to roll that into the next update :)
  • Swizzle
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 2.8K Replies
  • Computron
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 1.8K Replies
    Denser grid, zoom and the inflate brush work awesome.

This is insanely cool.

I'm curious as to how this works, is the painting already being done in 3d with brushes being projected from the camera and pushing around vertex normals? Could it support panning and rotating around the plane with the camera? It would be awesome to have the ability to import geometry with non square, unwrapped UV usage to paint on as well as background geometry to guide you.
  • Santewi
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 242 Replies
    Great job on the new update.

Can you add a feature to invert specific channels before baking the map? Would be easier if I didn't have to always invert them in Photoshop (because UDK...).
  • Fingus
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 733 Replies
    The ability to import your own meshes and paint a flowmap on them, or simply to use as reference, would be huge. Is that feasible?
  • Snader
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 2.6K Replies
    Importing geometry might be a bit complex, but it should be relatively easy to import a flat image (for example an UV unwrap) if I'm correct.
  • Skummel
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 56 Replies
    wow great job man! very awesome tool
  • LoTekK
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 1.4K Replies
    Santewi:
    Good idea, I can definitely add that. It's going in the next update :)

Computron, Fingus:
    I haven't started looking into what it would take to import geometry, but reference images are currently supported (via the overlay bit at the bottom). I'll eventually look into seeing if it's possible to get a proper file browser up, but for the time being you're limited to text-inputting the path.

I haven't really put any thought into a full 3d camera, though the base functionality is there (this project is essentially forked off my in-editor vertex painter project). Right now it doesn't actually modify the vertex normals, only the colors (in a nutshell it simply translates your XY brush movement into RG colors, which the preview shader uses to flow the texture).
  • dantefox
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 1 Reply
    this is amazing!