Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Yedp

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Yedp polycounter lvl 7
CRITICS ARE REALLY WELCOME! (and needed) Thanks in advance :)

Hello everyone, I am kinda new here i just posted once before to ask for advices which was really helpful, but I just noticed the sketch book so I'm going to try post my work here instead. Thanks in advance and please let me know if I'm doing it wrong!
Everyone level is so high and there are such amazing work here so again all Critics/comments are really welcome as my current level isn't great, thank you again.

This is my latest personal project I did in my free time at work for training, it's my first Normal map model, I wanted to leave it as it was but i went further and textured it, added rig and blendshapes

HMK_pose.png?t=1340619110

Here is a little animation, sorry it's not really good but it's showing some of the blendshapes (click it to access the video, sorry i dunno how to post videos yet)

th_ANIMATIONtest.jpg

finally a screenshot of the model wireframe and UV (5.5k triangles counting the hairs). I thinck it is a bit messy at some spots, mostly face, I had a hard time with retopology, it was my first time as well.

HMK_wireframe-1.jpg

Replies

• violetcity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Yedp,
    My skill level is not high enough that I can really do a critique on your work, but i do want to say that i think your mesh looks great, super clean, and the hair has a nice shine to it. I am learning basic rigging right now, your short animation looks good to me ^_^
  • Yedp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yedp polycounter lvl 7
    violetcity wrote: »
    Hi Yedp,
    My skill level is not high enough that I can really do a critique on your work, but i do want to say that i think your mesh looks great, super clean, and the hair has a nice shine to it. I am learning basic rigging right now, your short animation looks good to me ^_^

Hey, thanks for taking time to comment on my work, it's ok you are free to say what you thinck is wrong, i thinck it doesn't matter whatever your level is, sometimes when we work on our project for too long we start to miss little mistakes that make all the difference in the end, that's why having feedback from every kind of people is good in my opinion, I even ask people who aren't necessarly in arts or 3d to comment because they are usually the first to notice the biggest mistakes.
    I wish you good luck with your rigging and I hope to see more from you :)
  • Yedp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yedp polycounter lvl 7
    A fast sketch I did, I've never really been into mecha and guns and I never really drew them but I thought it could be a challenge to change once in a while. Sorry about the messy lines.

rough_gunner.jpg
  • Yedp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yedp polycounter lvl 7
    A quick sketch I did at lunch

sketch.jpg

More anime type character, it is quite generic and cliche but it was fast and relaxing to do, hand got proportion problem I thinck and there are maybe some other drawing mistakes.

i-fell-so-low.jpg?t=1340959926
  • Yedp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yedp polycounter lvl 7
    Hello, I started this yesterday, I wanted to work on my modeling skills, this was done in maya.
    This is the model of Shirota Yuu a half Japanese/Spanish singer and actor, he actually has a pretty symetrical face, I used these references to work my model. I'll try to learn about hair systems and see how it goes.

• Yedp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yedp polycounter lvl 7
    Hello, here's a quick concept I did during my break at work, I'm not that good with coloring or concept art so wanted to train on that, I still have a long way to go, any critics or comments are welcome.

• Yedp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yedp polycounter lvl 7
    A little update on my Shirota model, attached hairs to curve in maya, I need to work on it a bit more.

I need to work anatomy, I really don't know much about muscles in the human body and it is still abstract to me so I decided to try making a guide for me using several references I could find. I could definitly use help and critics. Thanks!

• Yedp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yedp polycounter lvl 7
    Hello, been a while since i posted something actually got extra work to do on top of having already a job hopefully I will be able to post some pictures soon.
    Anyway i started to work on my Shirota model again, I've been experiencing a bit with the SSS material, it's not that good yet I have to do more tweaking.
    Like usual critics/comments are welcome.

shirota_render.png
  • KyleHickey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KyleHickey polycounter lvl 5
    you have some nice work yedp, I would suggest focusing more on the planes of the face, it can help you define areas and maintain proportion.

I also find working on faces and anatomy in Zbrush much more natural feeling. If you cant get access to Zbrush I believe Sculptris is a free sculpting program.

Swizzle posted some reference awhile ago: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76733

Dont forget to grab the download as well, plenty of helpful images.
  • Yedp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yedp polycounter lvl 7
    Hi KyleHickey, Thank you for taking the time to comment! Thanks for the thread link these are great references *saves to ref folder!*, it reminds me a bit of Burne Hogarth head anatomy.

I actually do have access to Zbrush at work but I'm still pretty bad at it and I'm a slow learner, I need a lot of practice just to get the shape right :(.
    Zbrush or sculptris are great tools though I really want to master them someday!

I checked your blog by the way, great work there! I'm still far to achieve that level of details, I hope to see more from you soon!
  • Yedp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yedp polycounter lvl 7
    I really am a beginner at zbrush, I just started training recently, this is my second attemps at sculpting a head from a polysphere, I find sculpting way harder than box modeling I dunno if this is normal knowing how much people seem to find zbrush "easy", I guess it requires a lot more practice to get into the shape and details or I am a slow learner. I'm trying to explore the tools but Mostly found standart brush and move to be usefull at my level.

• Yedp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yedp polycounter lvl 7
    Hello, been a while since i posted anything I've been a bit busy with work and personal life, just updating with a few things.
    Like always Critics are welcome!

I had to do about 10 character sheets + vector portraits for Damage Report board game (Damage Report KickStarter Link).
    Here some sample:

Some random concept art training!

Hopefully can find more time to keep working on some personal projects
  • Yedp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yedp polycounter lvl 7
    Hello, I've been working on some model of Flash in my free time at work.
    I wanted to learn a bit about anatomy and train my modeling skills at same time. The wireframe is probably not that functional animation-wise.
    Critics are welcome!

Model has 3.3k triangles (without toon lines)and just diffuse at the moment:

A quick render !

And a quick little turntable

th_TheFlash_anim_0001_zpsfbe871a6jpg
  • Yedp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yedp polycounter lvl 7
    Not much news this time due to work and being busy with other things, critics are welcome like usual.

first a quick update on the Flash model i did, put it in Unity and played with AR a bit, was fun!

Started a model of IronMan armor to relax a bit, not really putting myself any deadlines I just wanted to do some hard surface modeling for training and to take a little break:

second is an illustration I did for a friend

finally this is a concept I'm working on, when it is finished I'll try to model it and play a bit with it in Unity, mostly got inspired by Exteel artworks

• Kerroh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, your work is gorgeous. :)
  • Yedp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yedp polycounter lvl 7
    Kerroh wrote: »
    Wow, your work is gorgeous. :)

Thank you I really appreciate :)
  • Yedp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yedp polycounter lvl 7
    Little update on the mech, started to model the high res of the head.

• Yedp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yedp polycounter lvl 7
    little update on the mech. I did some test with the head, first time trying to do a normal with a model made of different parts, wasn't sure how it would look like, still a few fixes to do. Head at 438 triangles so far

I keep training with Zbrush but I'm still learning the tool slowly, this time tried dynamesh sculpting. Can't find a way to push the detail much yet, need practice

And a little random sketch

Critics and Comments and always welcome of course!
  • Yedp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yedp polycounter lvl 7
    Hey, first a shameless cross-post sorry :poly122:, trying some quick concept for training!

A quick drawing on paper this time!

A little update on my Iron Man model with a little gif for the fun! Simple car material and glow in Maya

Next some training on zbrush again, trying to work the torso for a change but I have a hard time getting it right, worked from a dynamesh sphere

Like usual critics are really appreciated, thanks for your time!
  • unsungivy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like your Shirota Yuu mesh, I think you did a great job!
  • Yedp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yedp polycounter lvl 7
    unsungivy wrote: »
    I really like your Shirota Yuu mesh, I think you did a great job!

Thank you very much I really appreciate :)
  • Yedp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yedp polycounter lvl 7
    Shameless cross-posting!
    Some quick sketch/coloring training during lunch

• Yedp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yedp polycounter lvl 7
    Some zbrush rock sculpt training! Still learning, trying to get familiar with some of the basic brushes, Critics are always welcomed!

• Yedp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yedp polycounter lvl 7
    Some head sculpt training without reference, don't mind the hair I just didn't want to show a bald head so it was made quick.

Critics are welcomed as always!
  • Yedp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yedp polycounter lvl 7
    More sculpting training, critics are welcome like usual !

First a kind of skeletton head that could be part of a staff or wand, can see it with fire in its eyes of something

Then anatomy training, still have a lot of mistakes I think, planning to work this piece a bit more so critics are really welcome, thanks!

• Crazyb2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crazyb2000 polycounter lvl 6
    Nice thread. I'm really liking your drawings and your hard surface modelling is really good too.

I'm no expert and I still make mistakes in anatomy myself but I will point out something I noticed. The post above seems to have no real eyelid definition. It's a great start on the face, but I think the eyebrows and eyelids need to be defined a bit more. And by that I mean, there needs to be two folds, one quite prominent on the top and one almost invisible on the bottom, and the lids should wrap around the eyes a bit more. Sorry, I'm not the best at giving crits.

Just google "female eye" or just "eye" and you'll probably see what I mean. Also I think the eyebrows should come out a little bit more. Right now they seem a tad flat.

I shan't say anything else as it looks to be in early stages and I don't want to bombard you with crits about this, that and the other. Still, keep it up. I look forward to seeing more of your work.
  • cgartland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cgartland polycounter lvl 4
    It's good that you did some surface details on the skin in that last one, but pay attention to different skin types on the face

Even on a young person, pores are stretched in the direction of wrinkle lines.

Mask_Salesman did a good tut on it:
    Mask_Salesman__Skin_Sculpting_Techniques_Tut.jpg
  • Yedp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yedp polycounter lvl 7
    @Crazyb2000 Thanks for the nice comment and crits! I see what you mean about the eyelid and you are totally right, thanks for pointing that out! I'm going to redefine that area and the eyebrows too!

@cgartland Thanks for pointing that out, that tutorial is really nice I'm going to try fix the skin!
  • Yedp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yedp polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks again for the advices it helped a lot! here are some updates, still need to refine the feet they aren't really there yet :poly136:
    Any critics are welcome like usual thanks!

And to finish some quick sketches for a friend contest designing creatures, exploring some ideas

• Yedp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yedp polycounter lvl 7
    Hello, I tried working some basemesh clothes in Maya for my character but didn't finish the lower part yet, not sure how I'll work that in zbrush afterward though. Critics are always welcome as usual, thanks!

• Yedp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yedp polycounter lvl 7
    Been a while since I posted anything, was playing around with my Iron Man model (might finish it in a few years at this pace).
    Rendered with Element3D in After Effect, my first time trying Element3D, so far I love it, it is pretty user friendly.

• Yedp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yedp polycounter lvl 7
    Hello, been a while since i posted anything, got no excuses for my laziness sigh

Let's start with a quick sketch of a spaceship, mechanical and transportation isn't really my cup of tea, so a concept to train myself!

Some little fix on my first character on zbrush, fixed the eyes size, the pose to balance the body and a few other things... Started sculpting the clothes but didn't get that far yet.

I started some package for unity3D for fun, trying to create my own sprites too, maybe i'll release this for free when i have enough effects to share, I'll make videos later for better preview but for now just pictures sorry!

hope you like and as usual Critics are welcome!
  • Yedp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yedp polycounter lvl 7
    Hello, it has been a while since I posted anything.

Some random speed sketch to start:

This is a project that a colleague has, some kind of watch, I did some designs and tried rendering one in various color:

And a little update on my first real sculpt on zbrush, I'm really slow with it but I plan to finish it!

Like usual critics/suggestions are welcome, thank you in advance!
  • Yedp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yedp polycounter lvl 7
    Been a while since I updated, trying to finish my first zbrush model, really starting to extend a lot but I learnt a few things.
    Next step is adding a weapon and posing.

Little close up on the chest:

And Overall view:

Critics are welcome as usual, thank you.
  • Yedp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yedp polycounter lvl 7
    I almost got crazy with Transpose, after a while finally figured it out and got to a point where I can "show" something, added a crossbow and tried to pose my model.
    I learnt quite a few things through this project by making tons of mistakes :poly122:.
    I'll call it done and move on to something else!

Critics are welcome!
  • Yedp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yedp polycounter lvl 7
    Been a while again since I posted anything, I started to do the retopology of my previous character.

a quick Bake test of the head and some test on the eyes

Made the iris in photoshop based on Suren Manvelyan awesome macro pictures, feel free to use it if you can find this usefull

and finally some animation test for some game character that wasn't used so posting it here

Like usual critics are welcome.
  • Yedp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yedp polycounter lvl 7
    I haven't posted in a while, so I tried to work a bit more on my model, pretty much done with the retopology, quite a lot of polygons, 6.7k triangles without eyelashes and eyes.
    I cut the model in 5 different pieces (head/Chest/Arms/Legs/Feet), next step is textures, blendshapes, rigging!

• Yedp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yedp polycounter lvl 7
    Hello, I started working on the hair, decided to change the haircut from my sculpt.

As usual critics are very welcome!
  • Sweetangel0467
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sweetangel0467 polycounter lvl 10
    Hey Yedp! Thanks for stopping by my sketchbook :)

I'd say, your character's face is a bit too perfect (no wrinkles). Also the lips aren't really in a relaxed pose. But since you've already brought it this far..

For the hair I would try and bring in some variation. Then again I'm not really familiar with how you make hair xD haha. It just looks a little bit too grainy right now. maybe adding some color hue changes could make it more interesting as well ^^

Overall I really like your sketches they have some great dynamic to them!
    Keep it up :D
  • Yedp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yedp polycounter lvl 7
    Hey Yedp! Thanks for stopping by my sketchbook

I'd say, your character's face is a bit too perfect (no wrinkles). Also the lips aren't really in a relaxed pose. But since you've already brought it this far..

For the hair I would try and bring in some variation. Then again I'm not really familiar with how you make hair xD haha. It just looks a little bit too grainy right now. maybe adding some color hue changes could make it more interesting as well ^^

Overall I really like your sketches they have some great dynamic to them!
    Keep it up D

Hi Sweetangel10467, thank you very much for taking the time to comment and advice on my sketchbook!

I might go work on an other normal bake later for the head or figure out how to fix it directly in the texture, thanks for pointing that out!

I tried to fix the lips and I'm using maya hair. I am still working on the hairs, I will follow your advice and try to give more variations with the colors although for now I can't seem to figure out very well how this work :poly136:

Any critics are welcome like usual
  • Yedp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yedp polycounter lvl 7
    Hello, been busy working my portfolio lately and got into texturing that character a bit more today. Still a lot to do, it feels like SSS is smoothing the normal map a lot for some reason or maybe there's something I didn't do well.

Critics are welcome as usual.
  • Sweetangel0467
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi again! I see you've really tried your best at the hair.

A few points I'd like to make here are the color of her face and the body. It's really different from each other right now. Are you still going to add more redness to the body?
    Also, the proportions from the head compared to the arms is really weird.
    Maybe making the neck shorter and the head smaller could help.

Keep it up :)
  • Yedp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yedp polycounter lvl 7
    Hi Sweetangel0467, thank you again for your help, I definitely need to add more colors to the other body parts, right now the head has way too much saturation than the rest of the body.
    My camera FoV is a bit weird too, I didn't change it yet, but I think you are right the neck seems a bit long after a second thought :poly136:, I'll definitely check it out!

Thanks again for your comments, it helps a lot :)
  • Yedp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yedp polycounter lvl 7
    Hello, I have shorten the neck, added a bit more redness to the body and fixed a few things there and there.
    Hair on the back need a bit more thickness.
    My next step is to go back on the model, merge it for the final one, probably check the topology one last time and fix it, then start the blendshapes!

As usual critics are welcome.
  • Yedp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yedp polycounter lvl 7
    Hello, I started working the blendshapes for this character, these are a few combinations of different blendshapes without any kind of rig yet. Some of them look a bit weird I know :poly136:

• Sweetangel0467
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the reason why they look weird is that they're a bit over the top. It's very easy to get into the uncanny valley with realistic characters.
    When it's more stylized, it's harder to get them to look weird :)
  • Yedp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yedp polycounter lvl 7
    Sweetangel0467, thanks for the comment, makes sense actually! Sorry for late reply!

I went for Vector art this time, it was a good training.
    Did this based on the awesome HUD designs by Jayse Hansen (http://jayse.tv/v2/).
    Some text/graphics I couldn't really read or reproduce easily so I kind of replaced by what seemed to make sense :poly136:

If anyone is interested by the vector file for some personal work just let me know I'll be glad to send the original illustrator file (CS6) with all separate layers.
  • Yedp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yedp polycounter lvl 7
    Hello, my job has been very demanding and I haven't had any occasion to touch 3D for sooooo long , no excuses for laziness though :poly122:

Worked on my demo reel lately:

Satrayana ELDIN DE PECOULAS - 2014 Demo Reel from Satrayana ELDIN DE PECOULAS on Vimeo.

My quest to learn zbrush continues as I struggle to refine my skills in both sculpting and anatomy.

First time I model everything in zbrush with zsphere for basemesh.

Critics are welcome! thank you.
  • Yedp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yedp polycounter lvl 7
    Hello, been a while since I posted anything!
    Latest work done at my company lab:

This demo was done using Vuforia virtual buttons and cyllinder target.
  • Yedp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yedp polycounter lvl 7
    Small update after a long period of personal "inactivity".
    Been working my hard surface modeling skills on the mk39 gemini helmet from Iron Man then 3D printed this (5cm)

This was way harder than I thought, I compared two different game models and the action figure as a reference and I feel some parts aren't looking the same.

The model is done in Maya, the honeycomb patterns are done in zbrush with the awesome noise maker, first time I used it.
    The model is cut into different pieces so they could be 3D printed separately and assembled in the future.

Hope you like, critics and comments are welcome.

Sorry for the bad quality of the picture