Home General Discussion

Scribblenauts!

Who is going out and buying it today! I'm just waiting for my friend to get out of class and I'm going to get it. It looks incredibly innovative and new. The developers are among the pioneers of next-gen gameplay in my opinion. Make a game look as pretty as you want but when you come across a game that you've never actually "played" before, it's something amazing. I can't wait to get my hands on Scribblenauts. I'm sure everyone is at least aware of it but if you're not, watch this video from E3 for some inspiration.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3HXgvl8lp0[/ame]

With thousands of levels and unlimited possibility, I can see this game keeping us entertained for a very long time.

Replies

• Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    this is something i'd have to play to believe,, we've heard games for years claim that you could "literaly do anything you want" but they mean you can "literaly do the stuff we made the game let you do" and watching the video, it does not seem like theres a lot of "game" to this game i guess its for the ppl that could sit for months making funny spore creatures and watching them dance "i'm lookin at you justin!"
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    It has just over 200 levels, not thousands ;) And ya, paid for already - I just need to go pick it up!
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Rhinokey wrote: »
    this is something i'd have to play to believe,, we've heard games for years claim that you could "literaly do anything you want" but they mean you can "literaly do the stuff we made the game let you do" and watching the video, it does not seem like theres a lot of "game" to this game i guess its for the ppl that could sit for months making funny spore creatures and watching them dance "i'm lookin at you justin!"

You're just sad that I blew your creature's planet up. The Jeffgoldblum empire was just too aggressive.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Very excited to check this out. Been following this one for a while now. Any game that has God, zombies, and T-Rex is a win in my book.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's had pretty iffy reviews, but I reckon I'll still pick it up.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    i wana see a vid of someone typing "giant black dildo monster" in it and having it apear
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    ya, I'm probably going at lunch to pick it up.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I'm anxious to hear what you guys actually think of it, once you've played it. I think my daughters would love this, but I'm curious if it match what they claim. I'd like to see if it does indeed create anything you can imagine.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    rhino, its a PG game. The objects have to be within that limit.

Anyway, I got it this morning and so far am having a LOT of fun with it.
  • AtlusZMH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm lovin it so far, just sitting on the title screen and messing with words is a blast, let alone all the puzzles..

stuck on some damn level where i need to power on a car though >.< WTFFF
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love it too, but have 2 gripes.

1) when you pan away from Max, it will pan back after only a few seconds. Often, I'm trying to set something up off to the side a bit, and when it pans back, I screw things up.

2) Max running into the pit of spikes/polar bear/wood chipper whenever I try to click an object and miss.

Otherwise, fantastic.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    cool nice post, anything is possible eh? hmmm someone post boobs! lol
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    it's really fun to play, but the controls of the character are god awful. just gotta work around them.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    I just won a level by spawning cthulhu to scare off children, and the next level by cooking baby in a stove.
    God yes.
    (and yes, the controls are terrible)
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's official, best game on the planet:
    liger.jpg
    GW82H57
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    W00T! I forgot it was out... Have to make sure i grab a copy this weekend.

Make sure you buy it! If not just to support my friend's company! Its a great game so what ever reason gets a copy in your hands is a good one to me!
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Picked it up on the way home from work, just played a few quick maps once my DS was charged up. Love it. Controls could be worse by a long ways, so that's in no way a deal breaker (if anything, my only control gripes fall on the DS and not the game). Had to force myself to stop playing, and definitely gonna have some fun coming up with creative ways to solve puzzles.

For the hell of it, on the main screen I spawned Death. Then I spawned God. Death killed God (!). Then I spawned a Kraken. The Kraken killed death (again, !). Then I killed the Kraken with Death's scythe. I love the fact you can unlock main menu levels. :)
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    very awesome game. me and my fiancee spent allll night just thinking of words. god in a monster truck rocks.
  • numo16
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    numo16 polycounter lvl 9
    God on a motorcycle with a ray gun vs. a slime monster = god dying?!?

definitely a great game, and I managed to make some useful trade-ins to end up getting the game for $0.93! would have paid the whole $30 though. Controls are a little quirky, but as flaagan said, they could be much worse.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Er, the controls get better when you realize that whereever you tap = where he'll go. Simple taps work really well.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shut the fuck up douchewaffle! When I'm trying to click on the tiny end of a rope, and my bloated sausage fingers can't QUITE manipulate my tiny mouse penis of a stylus into exactly the right position, it's not my fault that Max gets beaten to death with a chalupa by Rick Astley!
  • commander_keen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    commander_keen polycounter lvl 18
    hmm i might have to get a DS for this. too bad its not on iphone :(
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    Tumerboy wrote: »
    Shut the fuck up douchewaffle! When I'm trying to click on the tiny end of a rope, and my bloated sausage fingers can't QUITE manipulate my tiny mouse penis of a stylus into exactly the right position, it's not my fault that Max gets beaten to death with a chalupa by Rick Astley!

get smaller fingers or pay a little kid to play for you.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, if I need a kid to play for me, I'm not going to fucking pay for it, I'll just go down to the basement and pull one out of his cage!
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Action level 2-3... probably the one level I've seen where I got real crazy with solutions.
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    God vs Vampire = ZombieGod
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    I was severely disappointed when I gave Satan a fiddle and he found it more important to beat me with it than to challenge me a musical showdown.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Picked it up tonight - sooo awesome. The only object I could think of that didn't work was laser cannon. It just gave me a regular cannon.

Otherwise, yeah they really did pack a crapload of objects in this game.
  • cman2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cman2k polycounter lvl 17
    notman wrote: »
    I'm anxious to hear what you guys actually think of it, once you've played it. I think my daughters would love this, but I'm curious if it match what they claim. I'd like to see if it does indeed create anything you can imagine.

hey dude. I picked it up with the same intentions, that my daughter would enjoy playing it either with me or on her own.

as you can tell from a lot of people here, the controls can be a little challenging and for younger kids (<8?) that is probrably a showstopper.

I was hoping the controls would be the easy part and she would just get stuck on harder puzzle/solutions, where I could help her out by playing sidekick. Instead, I end up in the seat playing both the controls and coming up with the solutions, which kinda takes the fun out of playing it with her (she'll get bored, wander away).

Still, she got through a lot of earlier levels all on her own and it is good spelling practice, which is why I thought it'd be good for her. The is something to be said for challenging critical thinking and spelling all in one, and she'll still get some enjoyment out of the game, just not as much as I'd hoped. Besides, give it some time and i'm sure she'll be pro at the controls...kids learn quick.

In the meantime....I am hooked and sitting on my couch with her pink DS into the wee hours. lol.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm kind of disappointed that when I spawn death, he has to attack things rather than just taking their lives.

Also, blackholes are like having a leatherman in game.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    I think the game is great. Aside from being a fun sandbox toy, it reminds me a lot of when I used to play The Incredible Machine on my old DOS computer 15 years ago.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What's so hard about understanding what 'literally' means?

That aside, I'd like to play this. I've been checking out the videos for a while, and it seems pretty fun!
  • Luxury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxury polycounter lvl 18
    Haven't played it yet, but will. My friend founded 5th Cell, so I have to support him.

Anyways, I thought this video pretty much summed up everything about the game in 3 turns. [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uh65m-3o1co[/ame]
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    Finally got to try it out today!! Very amusing :D Not sure how long this one will keep me entertained for, but so far really enjoying it :)

Highlights of playing: Trying to make a star and realizing I can make a 'celebrity' star, then making a papparazzo--and watching him chase her into a corner.

Creating a mammoth, and then on the suggestion of someone else, creating a gargoyle and watching it massacre the mammoth and anything else on screen, then turning on me. Beware of those things! :\

I was also looking through the strategy guide, and while it gives most possible solutions to beat a level, it also gives the 'crazy solutions' that are really eccentric but amusing ways to beat a level. Like, in the level where you gotta help the lumberjack cut down a tree, the 'crazy solution' is to have a beaver come do what it does best :)

Very fun game! But yeah, the controls can be bitchy :P So not pefect, sadly.
  • .Murder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    if i had a DS i'd get this game fo sho!
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    in the main screen I spawned a teleporter and it warped me to the 5th cell offices so I decided to try placing a nuke with a time bomb next to it. Unfortunately one of the devs must be overly curious and he activated the nuke before I could get away.
  • Parnell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Parnell polycounter lvl 18
    Bought it the day it came out. Love it, can't wait for the sequel...I love trying to just come up with the craziest possible thing. I like the challenge modes where you have to replay the same level 3 times in a row without using the same objects. It makes for some very interesting solutions.
    Blackhole FTW! I also like boulder, and wings. Those are like a staple of my Scribblenauts vocabulary.
    B
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    in the main screen I spawned a teleporter and it warped me to the 5th cell offices so I decided to try placing a nuke with a time bomb next to it. Unfortunately one of the devs must be overly curious and he activated the nuke before I could get away.
    Priceless. I've gotta pick this up now.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ya, I tried spawning 2 teleporters to get across a gap, but just ended up in their offices instead.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    I did the same thing :P