Home General Discussion

College and the future of LoMChaos ;P

Hey guys, I've been thinking:

I'm probably known here (Yeah, right..) for being pretty young compared to most of you guys. I mention it alot (But not for sympathy and a scapegoat to my 3D skills or anything like that) But I'm coming up for 16 and well, I'm in my last year of Highschool. I plan to go college after this final year.

I would like to ask you guys if I'm on the right track.
I don't want it to be about me, me, me but hopefully when I say stuff about myself it'll give you experienced 3D artists an indication of whether I am indeed on the right track.

Good qaulities :
Able to learn fast. Very fast.
Determind. When I have a goal I put everything else to the side.
Mature, sensible and serious about things.
Very technical and able.
Can listen well.

3D Skills:
Able to learn 3dsmax at the age of 12-15/16
proficient in 3dsmax and Zbrush.
Able to use engines such as Unreal and can use the Marmoset engine renderer.

Previous and current work :
Worked in around 3 original IP - not sucsseful
Working in a Cod team - Trey arch has their eye on them

My question, to you amazing polycounters is, am I on the right track? :)

Peace.

Replies

• Taylor Hood
  • lefix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lefix polycounter lvl 11
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    worry more about your Art ..les about everything else... Focus on that.
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD wrote: »
    No
    Zac, how come?
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Your work isn't great, but it's probably thousands of times more advanced, in this medium, than most people were around here at your age. At least for me, I barely even knew how to use a computer when i was 16 and definitely had NO idea how to even go about creating game assets.

I'm very much against college for game art, assuming that that is what you are planning to do. In my mind, you probably already have whatever you would learn from there and, in that regard, are on the right track. You're motivated to do the art, to do it better and, as you say, have already taken part in some mod teams. (Am I the only one who misses the mod community? I've been toying with the idea of taking part in one for kicks :P ) Even if the school was Earth shattering with it's amount of awesome talent it employs, you've still got to do tons of personal work because that's what's going to make your portfolio stand out and allow your skills to progress at the rate they need to. I think a few others here will echo, Polycount University has taught me more than any classroom.

No one here should tell you what to do, it's your future. Though, with so many different backgrounds, I don't think there's one "true path", y'know? I went to college, hated it, dropped out..moved to Vancouver, became a tester and worked my way up to where I am now. Some have a fine art background, some went to something like VFS...loved it, for some reason, and got right into the industry.
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for your words Gav.
    Indeed, my 3D work isn't that great. But for my age I think it's okay. But then saying that will make people say "It's not age that matters" but you just said the same thing as me :) I know I have along way to go.

Thanks.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    If you enjoy art enough to want to work in game art for a living:

Learn to draw, go to art school, enjoy youth, think about game art when you graduate.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Gav - you shouldn't be comparing yourself at that age to him, but rather how good you were after spending the same amount of time in the app. Starting learning 3ds Max at 12, so that puts him at four years experience in it.

LoM - you mention your age far too much. but you seem to be on the right track.
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sectaurs, I know I do. But its not for sympathy or used as a scapegoat. like I said.
    :)
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Sectaurs: Fair enough, you're totally right :)
  • lefix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lefix polycounter lvl 11
    going to college isn't such a bad thing (when not considering the costs). just don't expect them to teach you how to become a great artist. you will always have to learn the stuff yourself.
    a college provides you with alot of opportunities tho. may it be equipment like mocap systems, hd cams, 3d printers/scanners, greenscreens, panorama cameras and all that fancy stuff, or software packages and workstations/renderfarms, or simply being around alot of people who share the same interests and keep pushing each others limits and also establishing connections which may be useful in the future.
    oh, and it teaches you some social skills, and you get used to present your work in front of people. it gives you valueable life experience and for fucks sake, it's a damn good time in your life - something that i value alot.

honestly, at your age, you should just focus on having fun with what you are currently doing, and also try out everything else that interests you. theres many different fields in the industry. so whenever you end up in a job, it's good to have an understanding of how all the other stuff works, without necessarily being an expert in everything. so i'd advice against focusing on 1 field too early.
    but based on what you have told us, yes, you are on the right track.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    going to have to repeat whats been said around here a lot:

go to a traditional art college. get very good at that. worry about the technical stuff towards the tail end, or, as you seem to know a good amount about 3d programs already, just stay focused on brushing up traditional skills. they will help so much.

it really depends what you want to end up doing though.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sectaurs wrote: »
    Gav - you shouldn't be comparing yourself at that age to him, but rather how good you were after spending the same amount of time in the app. Starting learning 3ds Max at 12, so that puts him at four years experience in it.

LoM - you mention your age far too much. but you seem to be on the right track.
    You also have to look at the level of help and access to knowledge and not to mention the advancement in the tools and techniques. I think its never been an easier time to learn this craft.

LoM, At some point you won't be able to play off inexperience with youth so don't let yourself get too caught up thinking "this is good enough (for my age)". There are people younger than you that can probably kick your ass, so honestly your behind the curve and need to get crackin. =P

I think your on the right track but don't fall off. Keep goin!
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    LoM Chaos wrote: »
    Sectaurs, I know I do. But its not for sympathy or used as a scapegoat. like I said.
    :)

well, then why exactly do you bring it up?
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    Sectaurs wrote: »
    well, then why exactly do you bring it up?

because he's 15
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Looks good to me. I would do more finished pieces so by the time you finish school you have options, like apply to a studio directly or go to a decent school and get a scholarship. work on your painting skills as well.
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    Yozora wrote: »
    because he's 15
    As long as he´s not on the same level when he is 20-25 and "doing okay" won´t cut it at that age. Well. Depends on your goals i guess. Progress baby! All that matters! :)
  • Noia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noia polycounter lvl 13
    LoM Chaos wrote: »
    proficient in 3dsmax and Zbrush.
    Able to use engines such as Unreal and can use the Marmoset engine renderer.

Previous and current work :
    Worked in around 3 original IP - not sucsseful
    Working in a Cod team - Trey arch has their eye on them

My question, to you amazing polycounters is, am I on the right track? :)

I think you're on a good path. Keep modeling, sculpting, and modding. If you want to go to college, find a school with a decent arts program and work on improving on general art skills while working on modeling stuff on the side. Investigate wisely. If money is an issue or you can't make a decision right away, try going to community college for a year or two and soak up their beginner art classes (and those obnoxious general education credits) then transfer. It saves you a lot of debt.
  • ChrisG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChrisG polycounter lvl 14
    dont fall into a trap my friend has just done- going to teeside uni to study games art even though we were told by a rep a sony liverpool NOT to go on a games art course and study fine arts and to use 3d apps as another kind of 'Brush' for your fine art.

He told use that he has employed people with ONLY fine art skills and NO 3D but never the other way round, as it only takes a couple of weeks to learn an app whereas it takes years to learn to draw well. Plus by doing a fine arts course you have such a vast amount of careers you can go into.
    You dont have to stop modelling but you will find with a fine arts course your 3D skills will gratly improve aswell.

Also you already have everything you can get from a games art course.

Please take this into consideration
    Chris
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Also game art courses tend to be filled with would be if they could be's. Dont go there expecting to have alot of other likeminded people, as the majority will be lazy and wont actually get the work at the end.

Or perhaps this is just my impression of aussie game art courses.
  • Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    chrizz1 wrote: »
    as it only takes a couple of weeks to learn an app

That's actually pretty funny.

From now on, only people with less than 3 weeks of experience using any particular app are allowed to post for help on this or any other board. After 3 weeks, you should already know it. :poly131:
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    feh, 3 weeks to learn how to use an app? Should be 3 hours, amirite? Now mastering, that's another story.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    by "college" i assume you mean 6th-form or Tech, and doing a-levels or a HND or whatever the hell they have these days?

Use that time to do something you really ENJOY
  • Sandbag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sandbag polycounter lvl 18
    they don't use those terms in 'merica land Danr; college (commonly called university I thought over there?) is definitely worth doing and should be something you ENJOY.

I will always recommend going to a normal University for a BFA over going to any school specializing in "games design" or whatever else they're peddling. Aside from the obvious and well mentioned fact that a fine art degree will serve you from the ground up in any artistic application you might find interest in I think people neglect to mention how important that type of environment is for social development.

I hate to say it because it sounds...not so nice, and because there definitely are people it doesn't apply to, but 9 times out of 10 you'll find that people that went to college vs people that did not (in art this holds very true) are more rounded, more mature and adaptable people that are far better at taking critique.

College forces you to interact and deal with people on both a casual and professional level. Even something as simple as living in a dormitory is a valuable experience.

Taking that and then combining it with the win of a painting or illustration (personal bias towards) major can make for an extremely rewarding 4 years.
  • ChrisG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChrisG polycounter lvl 14
    Ott wrote: »
    That's actually pretty funny.

From now on, only people with less than 3 weeks of experience using any particular app are allowed to post for help on this or any other board. After 3 weeks, you should already know it. :poly131:

where did i say become a master of an app? no a month or so intensive training can get you up and going most apps
  • Noia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noia polycounter lvl 13
    Sandbag wrote: »
    Taking that and then combining it with the win of a painting or illustration (personal bias towards) major can make for an extremely rewarding 4 years.

Seconded, if not just for the awesome texturing and concepting skills. Try doing some traditional sculpture too. I wish I did before. I've been doing some super sculpty models lately and it does quickly improve your spatial reasoning.
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Sandbag wrote: »
    they don't use those terms in 'merica land Danr; college (commonly called university I thought over there?) is definitely worth doing and should be something you ENJOY.

It normally run like High School > College > University, over here.

I agree that studying fine art will do you more good than the games courses.
    I've learnt more on these forums while i've been lurking the past couple of years :poly115: than the time i've spent at college.