Home General Discussion

Traditional 2D art is... weird

ngon master
Offline / Send Message
ZacD ngon master
Now that I've been in 3 different art classes at my community college for a month I have a completely different perception of art. My drawing teacher could care less if the perspective is off and just cares about contrast and composition, the first day I was like okay I'm going to be the best kid in the class, then bam, my drawings get torn apart, and a lot of the people that don't have much technical skill quickly learn how to use contrast and composition and their stuff looks great even though the scale is completely off, and that leaves me in a limbo land of what makes art good... technical skill or just doing a great job on a few important aspects of art, or what...

/end random rant.

Replies

• rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    ZacD wrote: »
    I was like okay I'm going to be the best kid in the class,

yeah this'll screw you over pretty quick
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    lol, I'm defiantly not the "I know everything and I don't suck at anything and I have nothing else to learn" kind of kid. I was just pretty confident of my basic art ability.
  • Paul Pepera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Pepera polycounter lvl 9
    Seems like you were born to be a draftsman.
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    No one is born to be anything.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Color and composition is definitely a skill, i dont know what you could possibly mean by
    "technical skill or just doing a great job on a few important aspects of art,"

The more technical skill (including having good ideas!) the better your work will be. If you only are serviceable at one tiny bit of drawing than yeah, everyone who's picked up a handful of skills you dont have is going to do better.
  • Murdoc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Murdoc polycounter lvl 11
    Calabi wrote: »

Except gay people.

Seriously though, been working on my 2d skills for awhile now since they were horrible and there is this perception that is in complete contrast with my 3d brain, if I do 2d long enough I almost see it, but as soon as I touch a computer again it's gone :(
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    don't make me quote arshlevon again today... i don't think i can handle it
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    From what little I know about drawing my advice would be stick to learning perspective first while also keeping all the other design fundamentals in mind while you work.

Everything contributes to the end result of a good piece of artwork. However perspective is the framework which a drawing or painting is built upon, if the perspective is bad then as far as realism is concerned then the artwork is flawed. If you neglect perspective you will always struggle to depict anything accurately.

I find it very odd that a drawing instructor doesn't emphasize the importance of good perspective. When I was taking college art courses it was the drawing instructor that emphasized perspective the most while the painting and photography instructors cared more about everything else.

You're not suddenly going to become a master at anything in the time span of a college course so just keep working on your fundamentals and don't worry about it. You will get better one step at a time given enough practice.
  • Sandbag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sandbag polycounter lvl 18
    Try not to look at that advice as advice to follow for the rest of your life, the idea is just that you're in a beginners level class, you'll get to perspective when you get to it, but for now you learn one thing at a time.

So they're starting with understanding contrast and composition, only focusing on that. Once you learn those skills you can then move on to others. The order in which you do that varies a bit from school to school (and to the leanings of your teacher between design/illustration/fine art/etc), but the idea is to try and separate skills so that you're not learning everything at once.

If you know about perspective then that's fantastic, you dont have to throw that knowledge away. If you can focus on keeping a good range of values and having good composition WHILE having correct perspective then you're one step ahead.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I was more amazed just how much influence composition has, of course is the perspective is off it can be distracting, but I must admit a lot of what our class is producing is very pleasing to the eye (compared to what our class was doing the first few weeks) and when you look at a lot of more modern famous artists (picasso being one of the quickest to name) the often start realistic and then go back to making art that is less real and more visually pleasing.

By technical I meant getting every line perfect and 100% reproducing what you see.

I just thought it was weird that perspective is normally the first thing all highschool art classes go over, and I haven't heard much about it besides my painting instructor helping people with their preliminary sketches, be he also isn't looking for perfection in that matter.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    i was only teasin ;)
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    it did come off as cocky, like "look at my reflective checkboard render, I'm Jesus in human form at 3D."
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    ReEdit: I posted in the wrong thread, but rather than just say "wrong thread sorry!" i figured i'd just make a post so i don't look totally retarded. YAaay for messing that whole goal up.

The obvious answer is... they're all important, tremendously important. But important in different ways to different jobs. My personal opinion is you should be good at all of 'em because they should at all poin't click and become one in the same in a way. All art is emulating reality, and to be good at that you need to be good at all of those things described.

Long story short, find out what you excel at, find a job that requires that. You can be successful doing just one of any of those things :D
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Just be really good at what you want to do for the rest of your career and you can brush up the stuff you suck at along the way.
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    I'd say composition is INCREDIBLY important. If an image has outstandind perspective, but the focus of the image is simply the object or character in the center of the screen in a boring pose, then it's more like draftsmanship. If the image has less than perfect perspective, but is arranged artistically with interesting lines to draw the eye, and a pose that flows along those lines, then it's a thousand times better.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Valandar wrote: »
    I'd say composition is INCREDIBLY important. If an image has outstandind perspective, but the focus of the image is simply the object or character in the center of the screen in a boring pose, then it's more like draftsmanship. If the image has less than perfect perspective, but is arranged artistically with interesting lines to draw the eye, and a pose that flows along those lines, then it's a thousand times better.

QFT
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    Eraserhead wrote: »
    Seems like you were born to be a draftsman.

There are worse things.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    I think that perspective is the most important thing to understand in 2d art possible.
    How can you design convincing worlds if you cant make an illusion of depth.

There are a lot more bad teachers out there than there are good ones. A good indicator is the quality of their own work (though a lot of bad teachers don't show their own work for this reason... ).
    Anyways this is a good quote, slightly unrelated, but also very related at the same time.

Quote by Marko Djurdjevic
    http://sixmorevodka.blogspot.com/

"OK,

guys, you have to realize that there is two forms of style.

The first form of style is based on the lack of knowledge about certain things, such as anatomy, perspective, composition, etc...
    Artist with a style like that are very distictable, cause they rely on shortcuts and style treatments to hide their flaws and issues in their own work.
    A good example would be Rob Liefield.
    Back in the early nineties everyone drooled over his "style". It was full of imperfections, flaws, mistakes, but it hit the nail in people for a certain period of time. People were liking the freshness of it for some particular reason that I cannot comprehend anymore today. Anyhow, his art didn't grow since then, he was caught up in his style for years and people started hating what they once loved. Because he would constantly reproduce his flaws and his art didn't mature as the culture around him evolved and ventured away from percieving his work as fresh. One of the main reasons for this happening, is that a style that is selling like hotcakes for a time will catch a lot of imitators and copycats, thus causing the market to drown in it's own pile of shit-styles. Spectators will grow tired of seeing the same style everywhere and long for something new. That is the point where most style-artist get outdated and forgotten by the general public within their own lifespan.
    An artist like Liefeld is what you call a one-trick-pony. And there is alot of artists here on the boards who fall in the same category.

The second form of style is based on pure knowledge of all basics in art. An artist that has a great grasp for anatomy, composition, design, etc. will be able to venture into every possible style, just for the sake of trying out new things. His foundations will be so solid and strong, that he will be able to rely on them for every topic or style that he approaches, his style will define itself by how much he abstracts his knowledge about art from the basics, that he has inherited completly. Such an artist will always stay fresh, because of his abilities to work on a style for a given amount of time, then switch back to the basics and start searching for the next new style from this point on.
    A good example for an artist who is capable of doing this daily is our very own Coro, who ventured from learning the basics, to his sketchbook graffiti influenced style, back to the basics, from there into representational landscape painting, then back to the basics, from there to his abstracted bum drawings and so forth. His handwriting will be seen in every one of his pieces, but it will be different in style every time. Mainly because of his expertise in the basics of art. Also, he will never have to worry about getting outdated due to an influx of imitators, cause as soon as this situation arises, he'll be able to go back to his basics, redefine himself, and start something completly fresh and new.
    An artist like Coro is what you would call an accomplished artist, who is able to venture out of his comfort zone any time he needs or want's to.

Cheers
    M"
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    Calabi wrote: »

EXCEPT HUMAN
  • cowboyorange
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really should read everyone's posts but I'm a little buzzed so i'll pass. Any way here are my thoughts. I graduated with a BFA in Painting. (Bachelor of Fine Arts) so I have some cred. I do believe that there are 2 types of people when it comes to artists. there are people that see things as lines and people that see things as shapes. Draftsmen are people that see lines. You draw with a pencil and can only produce lines. their areas gradually get bigger. Painters are people who see things in shapes and produce large areas of color and gradually get smaller as they work.

I'm not a professional artist but I know what does work the best is to work hard. If you are good with a pencil use it and draw a lot. If painting is your passion do that.

can you tell what I am? draftsman/painter?

http://www.toddplesniak.com/2d_LifePainting.html

ZacD there is always someone better only thing you can do is improve yourself and work hard.

peace.
  • Sandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add some nice contrast and composition magic to your perspective drawings and you'll be the best kid in teh class!
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    EXCEPT HUMAN

My cat would disagree... :P
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    In an age of digital photography and CGI special effects, a quest for perspective in 2D illustration seems almost pointless. Why bother attempting to draw anything realistically? Anyone with a 3 Megapixel camera or a copy of 3D Studio Max is going to be able to do you one better in a fraction of the time.

In drawing you are attempting to produce the illusion of depth. With digital imaging, you can create actual depth. No illusion necessary. So someone with exceptional skill at drawing realistic images will always be impressive. But there is far less demand for their skills these days. That manner of artist usually finds their way into concept drawing, or drafting.

Of course, this might just be my natural bias showing itself. I've always been more of a cartoonist, and have mildly resented artists that can draw realistically.
  • Sandbag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sandbag polycounter lvl 18
    In an age of digital photography and CGI special effects, a quest for perspective in 2D illustration seems almost pointless. Why bother attempting to draw anything realistically? Anyone with a 3 Megapixel camera or a copy of 3D Studio Max is going to be able to do you one better in a fraction of the time.

In drawing you are attempting to produce the illusion of depth. With digital imaging, you can create actual depth. No illusion necessary. So someone with exceptional skill at drawing realistic images will always be impressive. But there is far less demand for their skills these days. That manner of artist usually finds their way into concept drawing, or drafting.

Of course, this might just be my natural bias showing itself. I've always been more of a cartoonist, and have mildly resented artists that can draw realistically.

No.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Of course there's always the discussion when is digital art/CG going to be considered real and could it ever make it into a contemporary art museum.

@Sandbag, no to what? its a lengthy post.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    what sandbag said...

Yeah i'll just leave it at that.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    In a world of real live people and animals, why bother trying to emulate them inside a computer. You'll never attain the same level of detail, the fluid, nuanced animation the life of these entities, so why bother?
  • Sandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

From pragmatic standpoint, every sort of art is more or less pointless, except some technical drawings.
  • frostymoose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frostymoose polycounter lvl 17
    Sandro wrote: »
    From pragmatic standpoint, every sort of art is more or less pointless, except some technical drawings.

Then you've got the people saying that for something to be "Art" it can have no other purpose but to exist. Otherwise it's not art...

I dunno if I agree with that, but I'm not exactly striving to define art.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    *steers train back onto original track*

You'd be amazed how much 2D skills cross over into the 3d world. While most of us aren't composing entire scenes with our 3d, good compositional knowledge applies just as much to individual assets and characters. Same with color, lighting, even perspective.

One of the great things about 2d art relative to 3d in this area is that it's much easier and quicker to practice these principles on a 2d canvas as opposed to a 3d model. You can crank out a really decent color/lighting study in a couple hours in photoshop, whereas a similarly comprehensive color study, done on a 3d model, might take 4x as long. Anatomy studies, thumbnails, etc... having a solid 2d base is like putting a multiplier in front of your 3d skill set.

I level up my 3d skills a lot before I even started seriously working on my 2d, and I've pretty much fallen in love with it. If you're on the fence at all, I recommend diving headfirst into the 2d art dimension. It's a ton of fun and will really round you out as an artist, and your 3d will improve a lot because of it.
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
  • Noia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noia polycounter lvl 15
    My drawing teacher could care less if the perspective is off and just cares about contrast and composition.

That's academia for you.

Anyway, you're not going to impress everyone. Art teachers often grade on what they personally value and on they are the most skilled at, and if its a beginner class, value and composition is the first thing they teach.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    or to be wild - get your motor running
    No one is born to be anything
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    I did notice a lot of artcourses portfolios which tend to focus on the ARTSY FARTSY kind of painting (here in belgium that is). I think basics are basics and nothing beats training your brains to know how to draw and paint good perspective and anatomy.

@Richard Kain:

In an age of swords and axes who still uses a knife to make his/her sandwich the old king said...
    or why do people still walk while they can embed motorized rollerblades to their feet

just saying that 2D is 2D and 3D is 3D and each require their own skills,
    there is no shame in combining the two but someone who painted a beautifull realistic painting has other skills than someone who modeled and rendered one.
    Even though the results might look the same the process and the experience differs.

anywho i like both of the processes and enjoy doing them for their own reasons ^^
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    Valandar wrote: »
    My cat would disagree... :P

EXCEPT HUMAN AND A CAT
  • monkeyboy_garth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monkeyboy_garth polycounter lvl 9
    Sounds like the course (at least in these initial stages) is about how to design an image. Tackle the task at hand - don't focus so much on drawing 'things' but just making that page look interesting. When designing it's best to think in terms of shapes, negative space, contrast, tension, repetition, size etc.
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    edit:

Draw more :)
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Think of it as a HUGE step in the right direction. Lots of self taught artists don't know much about composition, and it really holds them back for a long time. When the shape and contrast composition is good ... lines really fall in place and the less you have to painfully render stuff out. Ashley Wood...
  • xysdf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xysdf polycounter lvl 17
    pior wrote: »
    Think of it as a HUGE step in the right direction. Lots of self taught artists don't know much about composition, and it really holds them back for a long time. When the shape and contrast composition is good ... lines really fall in place and the less you have to painfully render stuff out. Ashley Wood...
    good quote!

its sometimes wired to pass allongside people telling you this is the most important stuff in art or whatever. confuzing confuzing... hmmm , well, neglecting i would never suggest - its great to slip out of your role from time to time, getting experience with this and that to see the importance or impact it will have. take all those "this direction teachers" serious and give your best and make your experiments (why not keeping perspective/proportions out of focus for a while? lets call it for a while working abstract!), never care about if the other person might be stupid or not - all has his importance! & no fear from loosing perspective, you can always go back to it if you want ... afterwards ;)

one day, one day, "this" school is over
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    rooster wrote: »
    yeah this'll screw you over pretty quick

Lol, this was a good one, even in jest.

Anyway, the way I see it, when I'm going to a place to be tought stuff, I try to kill my ego and my preconceptions the moment I step foot in the class/gym/whatever so that I can be taught from scratch.

Afterwards (that's not right after the class, but rather after a couple of months of classes) you can analyze the stuff you've been taught in a way as objective as possilbe and see if you think it is an experience that has merrit to it, and thus you should be sticking around, or if you should try something else instead.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    There's a book called Perspective - A Guide for Artists, Architects and Designers by Gwen White, it's very good for starters, for those who have problems making coherent drawings.
    [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Perspective-Guide-Artists-Architects-Designers/dp/0713488867[/ame]

There are too many similar books at amazon, but being myself an engineer, i prefer the technical ones :D, they are more complete.

The quality of an artist resides on his stroke, his lines, his perception of volumes and perspective. Poor artists usually do "abstract" art and they have a dirty style with fat brushes... due to their lack of perception. Focus first in learning perspective, master it, then, worry about angles, and compositions, and then, in colors/lighting.

Any person, animal, can be simplified to helpers, primitives, poligons, etc. If you are good in perspective... piece of cake. Once you have enough practice, forms will flow on paper as water. "Be water my friend" haha

You can be very good with composition/colors, but if you fail at the first step.. too bad imho. Composition/colors are something that should come after. When we are modelling, we should not pass the "grey phase" until the model is enough good or better said, "almost perfect".

You can have a work with a good composition... but if the model, scene, is a shit... no way dude.

An example, pencil work only by a japanese artist... and finishing it = total satisfaction. It could be some hours or less.
    centered composition? :poly136:

I recomend you to try to represent the world as a real photo camera ^^ but with pencil filter haha.

traditional.jpg

Learn the technical aspect first, then add the art.

edit: 2D can be different of 3D, but it makes us better with 3D. Generally, all great 3D artists draw very well.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    in that drawing, basically everything is the same shade (ground, wood, rocks), even though the line work is impressive, it doesn't offer much, personally I'd rather see a messier piece that was visually more interesting (better use of contrast than just to show wood texture).
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer wrote: »
    Poor artists usually do "abstract" art and they have a dirty style with fat brushes

Case in point: that sargent guy, what a hack.

sargent-rosina.jpg
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    10x more interesting and pleasing to the eye
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    10x more interesting and pleasing to the eye

It must be for you, because i only saw spots, and fat brush strokes i fail to identify as real forms. It's worse than to have blindness, or seeing everything blurry. That brown/dark shape under her arm, is supossed to be a hand? and where are the folds of the clothes? what is she carrying?

I think it could be a matter of tastes, but dunno really, maybe of level?. I hate dirty drawings :poly136:. If you are asked to make a concept, for a prototype/model/character, the standard, what it must be done, is to do a clear drawing, as easy to read as to don't need to ask... what's this part? can you explain me? can you draw me a better drawing?. When i'm painting... i'm not seeing blurry things in my brain (my black canvas..), so i don't understand this dirty trend. It's untolerable to look over a dirty concept, and wonder how is designed a part... that kind of concepts, for me are a fail, a total fail, done by someone who don't see things properly.

The drawing i posted is from a manga... so it does not need to offer much ¬¬. Manga is monochrome and with black and white, you can sense all what the author wants to express. Take as example photography, with sepia and WB photos, you get maximum contrast between whites and blacks.

If we should talk about traditional art, let's have as example things like this:

What suppore posted is clearly unfinished for me.

cough cough

1182256598135.jpg

Look at the year. 1890. Now all the art artists do.. seems to be worse, except a few ones.

ahh, Picasso didn't know how to draw very well... and you see, abstract art ¬¬

We can love to paint, but we also can not have the skillz. For that reason we see too many levels and styles. Arrogant and Ego artists usually got stucked on a level... they don't evolve as result.

I could put more examples, but if you want to learn, you must start from the basic, and to be good in the understanding of perspective and space, is far important than to be good in composition imho. A house can't be builded starting from the roof... believe me.

Just an advice :)
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    ciencia-caridad-1897-barcelona-pt.jpg

Picasso did this when he was 14

If you want something that looks like a photo, take a photo, we see people everyday, I want to see something visually interesting when I look at art.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It must be for you, because i only saw spots, and fat brush strokes i fail to identify as real forms. It's worse than to have blindness, or seeing everything blurry. That brown/dark shape under her arm, is supossed to be a hand? and where are the folds of the clothes? what is she carrying?

For the sake of art, it's a very good thing no great artists of the time shared your asinine opinions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Singer_Sargent

Look at some more of his work, there's some variety, he certainly has some more photorealistic pieces, but he clearly understood there was more to a good painting than jerking off to minute details.
  • funshark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    funshark polycounter lvl 16
    Blaizer, ZacD > I think you guys are not very open-minded about art here.

The first pic do not need any more contrast or "dirty" strokes. We sense the sunlight and the immobility of the scene.
    The Sargent one should have been posted in a smaller size; I can't even see it entirely on my screen. The "dirty" aspect you have here bring motion and dynamism. That's something we can't see in the last painting. The technic is good but all the things are on the same level and I see immobility when I want to see movement.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Let me try to put this into "perspective".

Plants, people, and cloth were the barrels, crates, and pipes of art before the camera was invented. Just like today everyone has training to make a kick ass barrel, every artist back then new how to paint cloth and skin, it was formulaic and easy. It's ironic because the things easily made in a game engine are hard to paint, whereas the things hard to paint (perspective) are very easy to achieve in 3d engines.

The argument about realism is like trying to convince someone who really likes britney spears to listen to "insert your favorite band here". This isn't a rational argument, it's just one taste vs. another. No ammount of talking is going to make you like this artist or that artist. Just like i couldn't convince you enough to make dog crap taste good. You either have the taste developed or you don't.

Realism is the pizza of art. The masses dig it and it was everyone's favorite food when they were 8, but don't expect a lot of respect from fellow artists for creating it.
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    that kind of concepts, for me are a fail, a total fail, done by someone who don't see things properly...

Arrogant and Ego artists usually got stucked on a level... they don't evolve as result.

I disagree with this. Fine art doesn't share the same deadlines and volume required for game or movie concept artists. You can't paint like Gerome or Bouguereau under an hour or two and come up with the same quality as the originals. Concept art is about multiple iterations and describing mood and setting and not really about making pretty pictures for hanging in museums.

Proof is in the pudding as they say. Couple of successful concept artists.

http://www.flaptraps.blogspot.com/

round3-flaptraps-round3.jpg

http://paperblue.net/

tank_rest_ruin.jpg