Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Cold One (1st Zbrush model)

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
P442 polycounter lvl 8
coldone_render.jpg
coldone_render_wire.jpg
The model is around 1800 tris. Its supposed to be a sculpture made of polished stone. Don't know what the purple stone is called, but I liked the color. Not amethyst or charoite. crits welcome

Replies

• ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    I like it. Maybe I would have added one more step to the tail to end it in a smoother way. It's head is quite boxy considering the amount of triangles it's made of, some vertex moved and voil
  • P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    made some quick tweaks, reshaped head and tail a bit. Also slightly changed color and spec. Let me know if I'm getting warmer
    coldone_render_purplestone.jpg
    coldone_render_stone.jpg
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    it looks like its made out of purple rock, and the head is far too square.
    not to mention the myriad of other anatomical problems.
  • P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    can you be more specific about the myriad? Also, it is supposed to look like stone
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    It looks more like feeble dinosaur texturing than purple stone to me. It could pass at present as a small, rubbery toy, but not really an ornament... and not really polished.

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=lapis%20lazuli%20sculpture
    http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&safe=off&sa=1&q=lapis+lazuli+statue

Check out these statues, you will see that they are mostly smooth, sometimes with streaks of white running through the stone. I think the colour map could work right now, though it's a bit pink, with a smoother normal map. Then it might look like a small, carved and polished figurine. Why not smooth out some of the broader regions, and leave some rough spots in the nooks and crannies that would have been more difficult to reach when polishing? That could be more convincing.

As for anatomical problems, some of that can be forgiven if it's supposed to be a sculpture by some sort of primitive craftsman; depending on the scale of the carving, maybe you should make the arms and legs even bigger... tiny appendages like that would probably be really hard to carve out of rock without breaking off.
  • JohnnySix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnySix polycounter lvl 16
    What Vrav said - plus the lizard skin/rock texture is smaller on his head, it'd be worth taking some time evening out your texture density.
  • P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    good suggestions. I think I just got a little excited with Zbrush being my first time. I'll try simplifying it a bit to be more sculpture like.
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    For your first time doing 3D sculpting it's pretty tame, actually, and in a good way. Despite the suggestions regarding the texturing I think you did a pretty swell job on the retopo of the sculpt, and the bake. Always tend to learn a lot from the first thing you do with a new tool involved... good times.
  • P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    yeah, definately a good exercise. when i have the time, i'll do more work on it, make it an actual living creature, add some more spikes and armor/saddle.
  • P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    anyway, here's where its at right now.
    renderlapis.jpg
  • Bad Spleen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey P442... nice name ;)

In ZBrush, do a cavity map.

Use this cavity map on top of your texture (set to multiply and lower opacity for immediate effect) and use it to darken the wrinkles and details of the skin.

Vary the skin colour, think of this animal living in a habitat, at the moment I can't think where he could live that he could be that colour and survive. Then again I have no scale of reference, so he could be as tall as a building, put something on the base to indicate his (or her ;) ) size.

Try looking at other peoples designs for dinosaur colouring such as Jurassic Park (Duh! I know it sounds like a lame cliche but hey, they did it right!) and follow more natural colours.

Colour his horn.

Give him a helmet with lasers and a rocket launcher backpack and he's finished.

-Adam
  • P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    will try cavity map. I was wondering how to do something like that. Currently, he is textured to be a sculpture, but I will take all of your suggestions into consideration when retexturing it to be a live creature. Digging the sci-fi suggestions. Maybe I'll do a 40K version!
  • Celes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i'd say lighter spec map for the polish stone look. maybe do layering stuff in photoshop to create the polish stone look esp if u're going semi transparent.
    so far it actually look like hard leather.
    that's a very good first sculp tho
  • P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    thank you. stupid sculpture look is harder than anticipated
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    you need to rethink your forms, forget the texture for now.

the model itself should be your main focus at this point as it looks nothing like a Nauglir (cold one).

you need to give greater bulk to the rib area, and the hind legs. its legs need to look like they can cary the 1 1/2 ton of weight that its body holds, the tail needs to look thick enough to counter balance the body. the lower jaw needs more mass, as that's where most of the killing power comes from.

Cold One's designs are taken from a few different dinosaurs, and sometimes they add in, or leave out certain species attributes, like the raised inner claw.

but for the most part, you should be looking for a very "straight" back, from tail to nose, they would keep low to the ground if possible, being pack hunters.
    try combining facial elements from a t-rex, with a dynonichus, along with the body forms of a rex, and a dilophosaurus (the movement of the dilo, and the mass of the rex).

in terms of miniature reference, these are pretty good:
    ColdOneRider-musician.jpg
    ColdOneRider-Champion.jpg
    ColdOneRider.jpg

then Mythic came up with a great model sheet:
    WAR_DE_Mount_ColdOne_Heavy.jpg

and there's several novels featuring Spite, a cold one from the Malus Darkblade series:
    malus-darkblade-reign-of-blood-dan-abnett.jpg
    g2_02.jpg