Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Old timey guns-- crits are awesome

mbullister
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
mbullister polycounter lvl 18
Hey guys, long-time lurker, first(ish) time poster.

Working on some weapons for a Lovecraftian-themed 3rd-person mod a friend is trying to start up. It's my first real experience with hard-surface modeling, and the first time I've tried to get deep into normal-mapping.

These are all still WIP, but all crits are appreciated!

First weapon I started on, and furthest-along
coltm1911.jpg

Destination for both of these is UE3.
thompson.jpg

Less old-timey than the rest. Working on this for a personal project.
m60saw.jpg

Shoulder strap still needs to be modeled out, and the bipod screws aren't textured.
I'm not really sure what's going on with the cheek guard-- I think I should probably just rebake that. It's also a bit more polies than I'd like.

Please tell me what you think.

Replies

• Kitteh
    Offline / Send Message
    Kitteh polycounter lvl 18
    If these are for third person, 2048 is way too big and even 1024 is a stretch. Your polygon counts are also very high for third person.

The diffuse textures seem a bit too... textured. The Thompson receiver looks like stone, and the 1911 looks like marble.
  • downarmy
    Offline / Send Message
    downarmy polycounter lvl 7
    love the mlg good job!
  • mbullister
    Offline / Send Message
    Kitteh wrote: »
    If these are for third person, 2048 is way too big and even 1024 is a stretch. Your polygon counts are also very high for third person.

The diffuse textures seem a bit too... textured. The Thompson receiver looks like stone, and the 1911 looks like marble.

Thanks, that's a really big help.

The triangle counts were born pretty much out of ignorance. I looked at the UT3 models, and the third-person models are between 1.5 and 3k, so I'll aim for that.

I'll drop the resolutions down to 1024 for everything. I'll see how it looks at 512, but I'm concerned that I won't be able to keep the detail I want (text especially) if I bring the normal and diffuse that low.

Once I've got the UVs sorted, I'll take another crack at the metal, see if I can get that working better.
  • praxedes
    You could apply the text as a decal over the top of the main texture if you drop the texture resolution? Depends on the UV layout I suppose...also, possibly cheat the barrel resolution by losing edges from the middle sections and keeping the higher res cylinders for the ends where the viewer can see the curve. Finally, look at areas where the geometry isn't contributing much, like the divots at the base of that slatted cover over the M60 barrel base- they could be baked into the normal map and get pretty much the same look, and lose a fair few tris- just a few thoughts to try help!

Looking good! (and I love Cthulhu!)

~P~
  • dejawolf
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    the models looks good, but the textures looks like you used a cloud filter, then quickly went over with some scrape brushes. especially the grip on the beretta needs more attention, it doesn't have enough contrast there.
  • mbullister
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf wrote: »
    the models looks good, but the textures looks like you used a cloud filter, then quickly went over with some scrape brushes. especially the grip on the beretta needs more attention, it doesn't have enough contrast there.

Nope, that's some 100% genuine hand-painted failure right thurr.

Brought the Thompson down to under 3000 tris and added the charging handle, though it probably needs to go lower since it's going to have a big fancy drum magazine. Brought the textures down to 512, and I think the quality is acceptable:

optimajig.jpg

Still need to rebake some of the AO and a bunch of the normals.

I'm thinking it might be worth trying again from scratch on the textures.

Thanks for the feedback! I'll try to get some reworked stuff online in a day or two.
  • Kitteh
    Offline / Send Message
    Kitteh polycounter lvl 18
    That looks pretty good now (although the normal map definitely needs some more smoothing on the edges of the receiver and stuff)
  • 00Zero
    for the metal, you need a dark color map and a bright spec map.