Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

future hallway wip

lincolnhughes
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
lincolnhughes polycounter lvl 10
futurehallway01.jpg

still TOTALLY wip, any suggestions anybody?

Replies

• Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    looking good so far. however for the shape, it kind of reminds me of the inside of a bus or something. i think it would make a great interior for a troop transport or something of that nature. maybe put some benches inbetween the light pannels on the walls.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    reminds me of a tunnel going through underwater.

if you give us a bit of information of what you are going for, where this is suppose to be, and that sorda thing, we could direct you more. as of right now, it just seems empty.
  • P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    it depends on what you want to do with it
  • lincolnhughes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i was thinking kind of like an aliens style futuristic hallway. I plan on having skyscrapers and buildings that you can see through the glass on the side and top of the modular piece. More grates, and a crapload more pipes and maybe some signs etc. I also plan on having broken sheets of glass with roots and foliage creeping in.
  • P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    if those are supposed to be windows, i would move those white lights down toward the vent looking things or just get rid of them. Also, your paint damage doesn't wrap around edges or just ends with a straight edge and that looks "lazy." You seem to have plenty of ideas for where this is going, so get to it.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you make a good point about the lights P442. but on that not i would say instead of moving them down toward the vent, i leave them be and maybe make them horizontal instead (or just go along with what was stated and delete them).
  • Axios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axios polycounter lvl 10
    What is this currently being rendered in?
  • lincolnhughes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    needs some small details to break it up. off the top of my head I can think of... uh.. fire extinguisher? loose panels? signs?

gl!
  • GugloPWN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you want to go Alien style, work in some man-sized vents for cliched horror scenes!

My initial take on the hallway was that it was underwater. I bet the Aliens are amphibious, that would make a good movie!
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    GugloPWN wrote: »
    If you want to go Alien style, work in some man-sized vents for cliched horror scenes!

My initial take on the hallway was that it was underwater. I bet the Aliens are amphibious, that would make a good movie!

been done... aliens 4.... crap... utter crap....
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Although this hallways doesn't have super awesome high frequency detail or models. I really like the atmosphere you've got with the cast shadows and the color scheme you have going, very professional looking.

A lot of people put too much time into these mundane detail without getting the big picture right, looks great so far.
  • lincolnhughes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks crazyfingers, i'm probably gonna change the atmosphere a bit to be less colorful and more aliensish, but ya i think i've spent too much time fiddling with lights etc, and not enough making my model look better :( thanks for the comment though
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Looking good I love the color palette you chose for this piece. I do have some recommendations and provided a quick paintover for maybe some visual possibilities?

futurehallway01_crit.jpg

I think you need a bit more ambient red to affect the floor from its light source, also right now you have two primary colors, blue and red, perhaps adjusting the lighting along the side walls to be greenish can provide for some interesting visuals? The walls would also definitely pop out if you provide specular edges along them.

Otherwise it's looking great!
  • lincolnhughes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alien_eggs_01.jpg

made some alien eggs that I'm gonna eventually place in the main foyer that that last hallway will lead to. They aren't finished. They have no spec / gloss, the diffuse is only partly finished and i'm still debating whether or not I wanna put that mucus like goo as an alpha on the lips.

I've decided that the hallway is wayyy too colorful to seem aliensish, as well as there needs to be way more pipes and gizmos on the walls etc. Thanks for the paintover kaburan, but I think I'm gonna go for a way more serene / evil looking light rig in the end. Suggestions always welcome, thanks guys
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Wow.... I just got awesome sauce all over my face, thank you :)

Can't wait to see more man!
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    The eggs are so dark all i can see is there silhouette and the lips at the top
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    lincoln hughes....you rat fuck. signed on up for PC on the sly eh....why didnt you show me this today at work?! hahah.

I would add a cube map to your glass diffuse, so it doesnt look invisible at glancing angles and there will always be some reflection showing. the hallway reminds me of a sky bridge that would connect 2 buildings cause its kinda skinny.

the aliend egg normal looks pibs but the texture is super dark like autocon said, I thought it was just a black material at 1st from mudbox. they eggs are a yellowy white/brown color if i remember right. love the base of the egg it moulds niceley with the rest. touch the texture up or I'll impale you with my tail like what happened to bishop......peace bud!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXgteH3gu2g[/ame]
  • lincolnhughes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hahaha what a douche. Man if i get impaled i'll puke all that milky shit all over your face :)
  • lincolnhughes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alien_eggs_04.jpg

pretty sure i might get rid of some of that webbing or at least tone it down in the diffuse, it's kind've overpowering. The base needs a ton of work still. Anyways, let me know :)
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "if i get impaled i'll puke all that milky shit all over your face."
    Did this thread just go gay? Har, har.

Seriously though that smeggy stuff is kinda overpowering, might tone it down big time in the diffuse but keep a good bit in the spec, see how that turns out, it'll look more slimey and add to the eggs rather than steal away from 'em.

Really cool sculpts, the color's flat at the bottoms though.
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pope Adam polycounter lvl 11
    lincoln, I'm all about "butthole looking things" keep it up!..

cuz i love buttholes
  • pestibug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pestibug polycounter lvl 18
    We all know what Giger is all about :) Umm, well lovely eggs, now make them facehuggin' bastards to swarm that hallway! Chop, chop, toothsweet!
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can't believe I haven't commented on this scene yet, it's really hot! I love the lighting you have going on it just plain gorgeous, especially if you can pull off kaburan's suggested changes.

Oh... just read you want to desaturate to keep it more Aliensish, that's too bad I like the colors :( Nice eggs too, they seem pretty colorful as well. Maybe you could keep the nice saturation levels you have so you end up with something like Aliens but with your own artistic take on it, much more original that way.

Either way I look forward to seeing more, keep it up :)
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice alien egg things. are those rendered in unreal as well?
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Lighting is kind of cool but I feel too uniform, if you want this to be creepy you need some dark areas, perhaps broken lights and where they aren't broken some subtle fog effects.
    Digging the eggs, nice work :)
  • lincolnhughes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    They aren't in unreal yet, these are just a screengrab from max 2010 with a quick 2 point lighting setup. I plan on throwing these in a moderately open interior, having a shitload of smoke effects and more necromonic alien crap all over the walls and floor, as well as a dynamic light that looks like an alarm is rotating.
  • Proxzee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this is looking really neat!
  • lincolnhughes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey decided that the first hallway i showed just wasn't aliens enough. I'll eventually finish it, but for now I've pretty much redone it.

hallway.jpg

obviously not finished, but at this stage crits and suggestions are extremely welcome. I've decided that this is how my texture usage is gonna go:

hallway_texture_density.jpg

let me know, thanks guys :)
  • GugloPWN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seems a little wide open for a horror set, I really like the grate/pipes on the bottom though. Maybe put a solid beam crossing the grate once per modular piece.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the center floor of the hallways seems really busy with all the tubes and thin railways. Might want to thicken some of the elements up and give yourself more of a canvas to work with.
  • lincolnhughes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hallway-1.jpg

hey did a teensy bit of work on that old hallway, still not finished lol but getting there, lighting needs alot of work still but for now this is what i got.
  • lincolnhughes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alienshallway_01.jpg

Finally got around to throwing a base texture on as well as partially lighting that aliens hallway I was modeling. The lighting is kinda tough cause it's supposed to be really dark, but sometimes it looks perfect on one monitor then horribly dark on the next. Still needs alot of work.....
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    old ones looking really nice

it needs some variation though, maybe a different component
  • shinobix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shinobix polycounter lvl 16
    Linc,
    When are you gonna get around to finishing these puppies? They're lookin pretty sweet so far!
  • P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    i would watch the black and yellow striping. It doesn't make sense there.
  • lincolnhughes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aliens_hallway_01.jpg

Hey guys, finally managed to put some more time into this scene. Let me know what you think.
  • DInusty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DInusty polycounter lvl 17
    man thats looking pretty awesome. remember to get some low depth bias fog going :)
  • lincolnhughes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i had it before, but for some reason it just wasn't meshing well. I'll have to go in there and tweak the color of it maybe before adding it in again.
  • lincolnhughes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I plan on eventually adding in some vert blending where the necromonic stuff meets the metal so that there's a smoother transition between the two. I also plan on adding that webbing shit that's on the eggs blended in on certain parts of the necromonic stuff. Strewn papers flung everywhere and wires / rubble all over the ground. There's also a bunch of little details that you don't even really notice are there, like acid burns all over the metal, and acid burns that have melted holes in sections of the middle grate.
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Seems a little wide open for a horror set
    I just watched Lost in Space for the first time in years and that one scene with the spiders coming under the floor in that really large hallway would scare the sh*t out of me if it were in a game.

Only crit I can think of is the hazard texture on the railings. Not sure it fits in with the gloomy atmosphere. Maybe experiment with that.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    lookin cool linc, the eggs look great, so adding more deatiling like that to the walls will help tie it together, as well as some more detail in the diffuse of that shit.

I think it definitely needs a door or something to help end it instead of going on forever. or a t junction/staircase to break up the straight hallway look.

those pipes need some loving too, but I remember you already said you were going to re-do the texture for that, so thats cool. It needs more handing broken shit from the ceiling like wires and stuff to give some nice silhouettes. adding some dust specks into the air will help add that look cameron had in his film.

nice work man, cant wait to see this finished, then Im going to cocoon you to the ceiling and slowly devour your life force.
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    look at refs from the recent AVP game. the eggs look great. the hall, not so much.
  • lincolnhughes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol what a helpful comment... thanks rooster
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jocose polycounter lvl 11
    I agree with rooster about the hallway. One difference between it and your eggs and the rest of the scene is the readability of the materials.

When you make a material don't think about the physics of it nearly as much as much as the visual iconography people have in their heads.

For example, if you are trying to create metal you might just go through a logical series of steps in your head:

Metal is gray, has some noise, its aliens so its going to be dirty. You use that information to then go about creating the surface.

This can be a pretty inefficient and often ineffective way of tackling the issue.

Lately I've been finding its much more effective route is to think about those surfaces in terms of their qualities as they relate to human perception.

If you are trying to describe metal think about it in terms of specular. This might mean actually deviating from the concept a bit, but it will make your scene look better.

Right now your textures are noisy, and look like a mix between stone and hard plastic.

Instead of focusing on the diffuse focus on the relationship between the specular value and the diffuse and work with that. Then sparingly add the grime as a last step after the surface reads as metal to you.

In other words focus on the readability, plausibility, and then physical (scientific) accuracy last.

Just try to have VERY specific goals when you create your surface always try to communicate ideas as they relate to your audience perception of them.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    looking at the hallway and then the hall, the architectural style looses itself, maybe apply some of the hallway feel and look to make that hall with all the eggs more interesting to look at. eggs look sweet and that hall way is coming along nice! keep it up man.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Looks nice, especially the eggs. Agree on what others have said about architectural textures, they aren't as pleasing nor have the depth that the eggs have so I did you a paintover with a few changes...
    aliens_hallway_02.jpg
    Hope you don't mind:shifty:
  • lincolnhughes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cool! I'll definitely have to go in there and add alot more material contrast. The sickliness of the scene is nice on that paintover too. The added diffuse detail and color variation looks great. Feels more organic for sure. Thanks! I'll see what i can do
  • lincolnhughes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aliens_hallway_03.jpg

re-lit it to look more like the paint-over (more of an aliens resurrection type light-setup). Added that webbing type stuff as a detail normal / diffuse / spec.

turned on post processing in udk to unify the colors a little bit more.

Was still gonna add more to the material differentiation of the metal and the alien goo, but here's a WIP shot anyways :)
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jocose polycounter lvl 11
    Still way too dark. You were on the right track with the blue before. make your darks blue and up the value bottom of your value ramp a little. Your darkest darks shouldn't be so spread out. They should be reserved for AO only.