Home General Discussion

Poll: How many hours do you spend per week on gaming? (average)

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Yozora polycounter lvl 11
"Gaming" refers to games on all platforms including consoles, computers, arcades, handhelds and mobiles.

Back when I was a WoW addict, I was doing around 75 hours per week... but I managed to quit a couple of years ago and now I probably spend about 14 hours a week on gaming :)

The games I play mostly are Street Fighter 4, L4D, TF2 and occasionally various indie games + game demos.

Replies

• Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    0-1

I spent most of my late teens and early 20's gaming... pretty much OD'd on it. Though I still love an epic tetris attack battle when the right people are around.
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Id say about 15 hours a week according to my steam profile. Don't play near enough as what i used too.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Maybe 10 hours a week, used to play more. Wish i could say i'd grown as a person but mostly there just aren't any games worth playing right now. Waitin' on the next starcraft.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I probably do 10-12 hours a week. Mostly Left 4 Dead at lunchtimes at work, and in the evenings every other day. A bit of ETQW and Q3 here and there.

Does Brink count? :)
  • willy-wilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    willy-wilson polycounter lvl 8
    not counting consoles witch hardly ever get turned on about 20 -30 hrs a week (time that could be better spent bettering my 3d skills although half that time if trying to get things from maya to source... what a pain)
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Just street fighter 4 this week (was wanting a fighting game)
    just found paper mario so I think I'll have to play that soon.
  • sicsided
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg wrote: »
    Though I still love an epic tetris attack battle when the right people are around.

This.

All other gaming revolving around TF2, L4D from time to time, and Bookworm Adventures when I want something quick.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I Mostly play Monster Hunter with some doods at work during our lunch break. Said 7-9 hours
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    I mostly play Monster Hunter with some jerks at work during lunches.

Then I play Monster Hunter in bed after the wife has gone to bed. Plus a little gaming on the weekends.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    My Steam profile says I've played 37-ish hours in the past two weeks, but less than half that is actually playing games. The rest is just screwing around in Hammer and level testing. I don't really play anything other than TF2 these days, and that's only when there's a scheduled game with some folks from CGTalk.
  • Asthane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asthane polycounter lvl 18
    Voted 13-15 since I've been off-and-on trying to muscle through TFU on the hardest setting for trophies. Sucks when 'hard' just means 'we trippled all damage sources without any thought at all'...

Normally though I won't play at all until something comes out, then I'll cram through things as they become available (or as I get the urge to go back and finish something I gave up on).
  • man_o_mule
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    man_o_mule polycounter lvl 18
    I havn't been playing games much lately. my band is getting ready for our first live gig in a couple weeks. been writing songs and playing guitar like crazy. This last week though i have been playing allot of shadow complex and trying to go back and play some Castlevania: OOE. (that game is soooo hard)

I do play rock band 2 every tuesday though with my roommate. We download every new song and play thier challenges. I would probably say that I normaly play less than 10 hours a week.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    I say about 4 - 6 on my own, and then I enjoy relaxing with the roommates and watching them play as well... I defiantly don't want to fall in the trap of not playing any games at all, need to see all the sexy artz n stuff :)
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond wrote: »
    I mostly play Monster Hunter with some jerks at work during lunches.

Then I play Monster Hunter in bed after the wife has gone to bed. Plus a little gaming on the weekends.

lulz, I was originally going to say "jerks" but I changed it to doods because I knew it would hurt your feelings. I see how it is though *SNIFF*
  • Paul Pepera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Pepera polycounter lvl 9
    19.7 hours past 2 weeks; I only play L4D or TF2, with some CS:S sprinkled in there.
  • achmedthesnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    achmedthesnake polycounter lvl 17
    i'm a bit of a TF2 freak, i have a quick hr each day to work out my rage issues.......
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It really varies for me depending on my work schedule. I'd say anywhere from 0 - 16.
  • Zotter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1-3 but it's more for when I get a new game, and unless It's blowing my mind I really only get a couple of hours into it to really sample of the gameplay.

I'm in the last couple quarters and I'm trying to get plenty done early for my portfolio in the end so most of my time goes to that, but it's more fun than retail.

But growing up it was non-stop so I guess I got my time in early :D
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    The last time i played a game, was overlord 2 in july :S

I don't play too many games nowadays because i don't see the fun. Man, i'm getting old U.U'
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    in the good old days i always played games when i got home, ff9, legend of the dragoon, maybe a 30 hours a week.
    in highschool i used to play like 30/60 hours of halo a week,

then i started to focus on my portfolio and prioritising, i cut that down to only clan or fun hours, maybe 10 hours a week

now i hardly play anymore,
    sometimes i just do gaming days with a buddy, get some good beer and pick up a new game, so the 22nd..

man i love to get back on that final fantasy horse, damnit
  • MALicivs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MALicivs polycounter lvl 15
    1-3

its kinda interesting to see that most people that work in games dont actually play all that much.
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    25 - 27 hours, I still play games a lot, yesterday, I managed to get in an 8 hour sesh.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    Bleh, I don't wanna think about back in my WoW days. I had a program installed that logged hours played and I played 81 hours of WoW in 7 days. Disgusting.

On average I'd say I play about 20 hours a week now... ranging from 3 to 4 hours a day.
  • Zotter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MALicivs wrote: »
    1-3

its kinda interesting to see that most people that work in games dont actually play all that much.

I was noticing that, too true

Goes to show how much it takes to just make one that it can turn it's most dedicated players into casual players... just to make even more of 'em.
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    number far constant but from 0 usually to more than 20 hours per week when i get something really good.
    last one was Bioshock.
  • ChrisG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChrisG polycounter lvl 14
    the thing with playing games I find is that Im always thinking- I could be doing something more constructive,I could be doing something more constructive,I could be doing something more constructive,I could be doing something more constructive,I could be doing something more constructive,I could be doing something more constructive,I could be doing something more constructive,I could be doing something more constructive over and over and over.

I would rather make the art or paint/draw or play the acoustic/[SIZE=-7] yidaki [/SIZE]
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    MALicivs wrote: »
    its kinda sad to see that most people that work in games dont actually play all that much.

imo.

but honestly, I don't really have the time or enthusiasm to play games NEARLY as often as I used to, but on average I'll play around 8-10 a week, much more if the game just came out.
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
  • vik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vik polycounter lvl 13
    10-12 hrs. And yes I`m ashamed.
  • marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    About 15 hours which I should be spending more productively. Summer break from university :/
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Hahaha. Right now I am working overtime QA. Around 10 hours a day of gaming, minimum... And that's on a single game. Also maybe an hour and a half spent on the SFIII cabinet at work and my DS.

Normally though, somewhere around 15 hours give or take. Depends if I am in a phase of playing single player games, multiplayer fps or mmos...
  • EbolaV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EbolaV keyframe
    mhh depends on game releases. maybe 21 hours? Sometimes its not realy gaming but more run through a game and making screens of different styles or details for references.
  • Surfa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Surfa polycounter lvl 12
    Well at the moment I have nothing better to do so I would say around 35-45 hours a week.

Edit:Also I just clicked on the wrong poll answer oops :poly138:
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    It is interesting that games industry artists are playing 1 - 3 hours, when usually the criteria to getting a job, in the games industry, is being passionate about games. Is there a break off point when your job gets in the way of enjoying other people's work? Its almost hypocritical tbh.
  • diminished_Self
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    diminished_Self polycounter lvl 12
    average week: 0-1 hours. when i get something i can sink my teeth into it jumps to 10-12 hours. last games for me in that vein were fallout 3, mass effect, lost odyssey, and bioshock.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    making games is a game. of sorts. to me at least.
  • motives
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
    hrm i voted 1-3 only to remember the countless NHL09/10 games at work.. that ups the count with about 10 or so hours :)
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It is interesting that games industry artists are playing 1 - 3 hours, when usually the criteria to getting a job, in the games industry, is being passionate about games. Is there a break off point when your job gets in the way of enjoying other people's work? Its almost hypocritical tbh.

doing stuff with my GF, socializing with friends, Warhammer tabletop, D&D and various art projects cut into my video game time. I'm actually considering getting some exercise into my schedule so my weekly game time might drop to 4-5 hours a week or less.
  • TWilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TWilson polycounter lvl 18
    I wish I could play some console games more but I just can't think of what I'd want to play these days. I'm really only interested in light gameplay.

I do play TF2 a lot when I don't have a project going at home.
  • sicsided
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doing stuff with my GF, socializing with friends, Warhammer tabletop, D&D and various art projects cut into my video game time. I'm actually considering getting some exercise into my schedule so my weekly game time might drop to 4-5 hours a week or less.

Warhammer and D&D are gaming too...

As to it being hypocritical to having a passion for games, I don't think so. Maybe those 3 hours or so that are played are played intensely towards games. Hell, I've loved games and wanted to make them since I was 3, yet now I hardly even play them due to working on them. I still passionate enough, because I seek to make them and make them better than before.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There aren't many games out that interest me at present. I've been playing through point-and-click adventures on my lunch breaks - probably gets me 3-4 hours a week.

When a game I like comes out, I'll hammer it constantly until I'm finished, which can be 30+ hours a week (Brutal Legend, Borderlands, Mass Effect 2, Dragon Age, et al. will all be doing that to me). During droughts... eh, a few hours messing with indie games here and there. I really only enjoy story or character centric games that I can play for multiple 7-8+ hour stretches, so namely RPGs or adventure games.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I love playing games but dont have much time to do so, especially with all the game art I want to make, I thought I was a little alone in this but it seems alot of us are in the same boat and I find that rather reassuring. I guess you might conclude that although people here are passionate about games they are even more passionate about making games art.
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack polycounter lvl 10
    I remember one day saying to a friend "I sure wish I could turn all the bad guys off and get rid of all the stupid puzzles, I just wanna run around and look at stuff!" Thats when I knew, I should make games.

Being passionate about games has many different meanings. I wouldnt hold that against a potential employee.

That being said, im stomaching down the shitty game play of resident evil 5 right now, just to look at the gorgeous env work.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Average I'd say around 20 hours.

All depends on when a new game comes out. I do most of my gaming during the Christmas season, till around the time Dominance War starts.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    1-3, although that will skyrocket once Modern Warfare 2 hits shelves! :D
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Around 10 hours a week. Been mostly playing TF2 and Battlefield 1943 for the 360.
  • sir-knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sir-knight polycounter lvl 10
    I think it's a lot of "goddamn it I do this shit all day, why do I come home to it" effect. I felt a lot of this when I worked in animation, and it's really just starting to recover now, about 3-4 years away from it. But for some reason, now I've stopped watching movies.

Also, since quitting WoW (long before BC), my hours/week in gaming are probably averaging in the single digits.

I've been filling my time with many other pursuits that I've either always wanted to do or had interest in. Currently, I'm baking a lot for some unknown reason.

I also race my car in local grassroots events.
    I write
    I draw
    Latest addition is learning japanese.

Maybe next year when my scriptwriting project is done and I've finally moved onto art for it, I'll have the time to learn piano. I used to play trumpet in highschool, I miss it dearly now. All of this, in addition of course to building a 3d portfolio.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    1-3 which really means a big fat 0 unless something good is out, i did have one fight on soulcalibre the other day though when i was waiting for my flatmate to get ready to go drinking. havent bought a new game in ages. maybe 6 months or more
  • martinszeme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    martinszeme polycounter lvl 8
    Have to agree with chrizz1. Love playing games, but I am always thinking about what could I've done for my portfolio to get into gaming industry.
    Mostly TF2 and about 10-12 hours a week. Hope to play some more or just relax when I finally land a job. :)
    Pitty I am in Europe so its hard to get and play with some CGTalk guys. :/
  • alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    Nothing like WoW to inflate my weekly gaming hours :D though I've been keeping it mostly to weekends and late night, after working on my 3d stuff. I gotta get my epics!