Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Artwork Critique - Beretta, Hovercraft , Fire Hydrant

Hello there, It's soon time to start searching for an internship so im looking for some critique on my models. They are all in latter stages, so mostly looking for critique on the texturing, but modelling critique most welcome!

forgot to add the marmorset logo, so yeah, every image except the hovercraft is rendered in marmorset. cheers 8monkeylabs

Beretta :
beretta.jpg

berettaflats.jpg

Hovercraft :

hovercraftq.jpg

hovercraft2.jpg

I added a very quick color blockout on the bigger parts to try and find out something that would work, however failed miserably, I'll go and try and fail some more, if anyone got any suggestions about it feel free to help me out ;)

Fire Hydrant :

firehydrant.jpg

textureflatsfirehydrant.jpg

Dont worry about the big texture error on the back, i'll smudge that out later on. I havent added the rust to the spec yet but I doubt that will be enough to save it. Looks very dull and unrealistic any tip on how to put more realism into it?

Beretta is about 2242tris

Hovercraft : 12263

Firehydrant : 2482

Replies

• MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    this thread might be helpful since you have an almost identical hydrant

http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=62472&highlight=fire+hydrant
  • motives
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
    He also has an identical beretta and an identical hovercraft. you change name or something?

aneways. i would straighten out some stuff on that hydrant UV and push the specmap some more. mainly contrast it/ sharpen it. the beretta is cool but suffer from the same prob.

good luck with the internships, where are you located?
  • HolyMonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha I thought i'd mention that, read the registration rule and didnt say anything about having 2 accounts, having a portofolio site coming up soon so i thought i'd have a fitting name to it here. Apologize if this is somewhat not allowed.

Anyway here's an update to the hovercraft

http://img299.imageshack.us/i/hovercraft.jpg/

MikeF: It is my previouse thread, and I followed the advice given to me, atleast I think so. In the end I ended up with having a very pale dull modell. Need to contrast it more, but I feel the metal i've made just isn't working. Gonna go over my previouse thread and then most likly redo the texture.

Motives : You got me ;), I'll push it some more, it's still W.I.P so barely touched the spec. Thanks for the advice.

I am located in sweden(Falun) atm, originally from norway. Dont mind moving abroad for a job though :)

"edit"

I've gone over my last thread and so fucking stupid of me not going through that again. The hydrant i've followed most of the tips however not that precisely i'll make some changes, and the gun im going add more color, post coming as soon as i've gotten something done. Then some critique as I go along with the hovercraft would be nice =)
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    Damn, for a second i though there was an art thief in our midst!

I dig the hovercraft, but i think you would benefit from some smaller detailed bits like wires/bolts be it to actually help out the silhouette or just for the highpoly (if you're doing one)
  • HolyMonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF wrote: »
    Damn, for a second i though there was an art thief in our midst!

I dig the hovercraft, but i think you would benefit from some smaller detailed bits like wires/bolts be it to actually help out the silhouette or just for the highpoly (if you're doing one)

Sorry to disappoint you ^^

The bolts is actually a good idea, started adding a bit of dirt here and there now working on the base metal for the thing, I'll go crazy with heightmapping and see what I can do with the minor detail thanks for the advice.
  • HolyMonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update to the firehydrant. Cheers to all the people who gave me awsome tips in the previous and this thread. I feel this is a bit closer to the real deal. Still have some texture work left like the top "bolt" thing, aswell as the screws on the bottom being bugged. Overall opinions on the texture? Does it work?

Also triscount is 1840, i had some hidden screws ontop of each other eating up the triscount. Going to work a bit on the beretta now, see if I can pull of a better result.

firehydranto.jpg
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    its look pretty good, but rite now the lack of subdivisions on the top half is really throwing off your normals unless your looking at each groove head on. Keep at it, its shaping up
  • HolyMonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey therr, tried something new with the beretta. Gave it a really really dark basecolor in diffuse, didnt show up much change in Marmorset. So I tried maya and heres the result.

beretta1.jpg

I just added some very quick scratches to see about how it would look and I think this got a bit more potential to be like the real deal than the previouse screen. Just feels very wrong having an almost totally dark diffuse, feels as if it doesn't show of any "skill".

"edit"
    changed the upload picture.
  • HolyMonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Beretta update, finally got the color somewhat right, gonna add a bit more dirt, and darkness around the scratch area in the spec. Any thoughts on it so far?

beretta232.jpg
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    this is looking good, but i think it could be taken much further on the spec and normal maps.

If you're dead set in sticking with the black metal, then i'd recomend http://www.game-artist.net/forums/spotlight-articles/42-tutorial-hard-surface-texture-painting.html to help bring out the details a bit more.

If you wanted to really make it pop i'd say do a two tone scheme http://www.bbguns.co.uk/l.aspx?k=1051743

keep at it, you're getting there
  • Max
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Max
    Tjeeena Grabbeeeen! I think the hydrant looks a little pale, even paler than the diffuse map. Just cream some color in and give it some fine lighting.
  • HolyMonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tjena Maxen ;D

The hydrant is suppose to be very pale, it has almost no spec. Here is the ref I used for texturing http://farm1.static.flickr.com/8/6381524_23b8856422.jpg?v=0
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    im curious to see the wireframe of the fire hydrant. mind posting it?
  • HolyMonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    not at all here you go! wiresr.jpg
  • HolyMonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright here's a update on the beretta and the hovercraft. I decided to try out and make a silver version of the beretta however im not totally liking how it turned out. Any ideas on the black and silver version?

The hovercraft i've started on the spec, what i've worked with in the spec so far is mostly the body chassis, the ball shape under the helmet and the helmet itself.

Crit away MikeF! haha ;D

lonleyjoe2.jpg

lonleyjoe3.jpg

lonleyjoe.jpg

silverhinhio.jpg
  • dk-sketch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice work so far though it seems that you desaturated everything witch makes it look more bland. Try this take a screenshot of the hovercraft throw in a lot of colors on diffrent layers copy the ones you like and work from there. Just an idea :P
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    since the fire hydrant is painted red, it needs to have a stronger spec (at least in the cleaner areas) and the cosine (spec power, w/e) needs to be tighter. you need a highlight.
  • pyromania
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pyromania polycounter lvl 18
    The position you have the safety lever in would mean the gun is ON safety. The red indicator needs to move so it would be under the lever's current position. Also the slide should hang over the front frame a little.

For a black/silver combo, try changing everything that could be replaced on the gun to black parts. Front/rear sight, spring guide, take down lever, slide release, hammer, safety, trigger, mag release and mag base.

Hope you don't mind, I did a paintover.

berettapaint.th.jpg

I'm not sure about the cloud noise in the texture. Are you going for a dirty beretta look? Some carbon stains around the chamber area would help it show heavy use.
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    these are looking much better, esspecially like the new scheme on the beretta, so much more detail is poping out now.
  • HolyMonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey MikeF! My trustful critique'r :)<3 glad to have you back and thanks for the feedback!

00Zero : I agree that it needs more highlight, but if you look at the reference it is very dull, almost no highlights, but I will pump it up a bit.

Pyromania, could you reupload your paintover? I cant see it, is this what you mean? http://www.waffennoser.ch/img/beretta_92_fs.jpg

anyway im pretty sure when I modelled the gun and looked at refs ,some refs had the indicator up left where it is now, then again I cant locate any beretta with the red indicator at that position now.. But hey no biggie moving it.. just checking ;)
  • pyromania
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pyromania polycounter lvl 18
    Yes that is what I mean.

I changed the uploader for the paint over. Not sure why it wasn't working for you *shrug*
  • HolyMonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's working now, i'll try out the colors and see how it turns out thanks!