Home Technical Talk

moving from Maya to Max.

mod
Hey all. So i started my 3d career in Maya, and now im trying to learn Max. from what i hear, its a much better modelling program, and seems to be the more common of the two. But anyone thats used both knows they are fairly different. I was wondering if anyone had any tutorials or anything to help me pick it up faster.

two of th things ive noticed so far in max.

-when spinning the camera in perspective, it always seems to be off center. in maya, i could just press F, and it would center my object.

in perspective, if i grab a vertex, i cant just move it in one axis. do i have to go to the front/side/top views to do that?

Im sure theres way more, but i havent gotten to far into the program just yet. any help would be appreciated.

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius wrote: »
    -when spinning the camera in perspective, it always seems to be off center. in maya, i could just press F, and it would center my object.
    Z centers your camera on the object and the camera will orbit around it. Walk through mode can help position the camera also (little foot prints down in the lower right). The help file has more info on it. I can get into specifics if your interested. Basically its mouse look.
    slipsius wrote: »
    in perspective, if i grab a vertex, i cant just move it in one axis. do i have to go to the front/side/top views to do that?
    You grab a certain axis on the gizmo. Click the box between two axis to move it along both of those directions.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    ah thanks. ya, after playing around some more, and going through a few of the beginner tutorials, it helped a bit. problem with the certain axis for me, was the boxes and arrows werent showing up right away, i had to press x to get them.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh yea that gets everyone. Good thing you figured it out so early. Max is loaded with lots of little gems like that. Just wait until you lock your object (spacebar/padlock icon lower middle) and can't figure out why it won't let you edit anything. Or Keyboard Shortcut Override, there's one that gets just about everyone... Oh and the UV editor, can't just call it up any damn time you want, thats fun.

Oooo smoothing groups, they'll bake your noodle too.

Good luck keep pluggin away you're over most of the main hurdles already and it sounds like your forehead and keyboard are still intact.
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Best piece of advice i can give is don't try to make Max act like Maya and vica versa.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Well, there's plenty of stuff you can do to make Max a bit friendlier from Maya (eg. mapping hotkeys like "Focus Selected" from Z to F since you're used to that in Maya), but yes, the workflow especially when dealing with polygon modelling is quite different.
  • ChaosEidolon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChaosEidolon polycounter lvl 17
    go into hotkeys and unlink X and Spacebar from their keys. both will annoy the piss outta you.

To make the camera rotate around your current selection, hold down on the tiny button, 2nd over from the right hand bottom corner, and change it to Orbit Subobject. It will behave like when you F focus in maya, but automatically treats it as your rotation axis (dont have to keep F-ing it)

ALWAYS model in Edit Polygons, not Edit Mesh. Imported OBJs will come in as Edit Mesh by default fyi. To change it, right click on "Edit Mesh" in the little window in the right and bar, and change it to Edit Poly. Once in there, you can press 1,2,3,4 and 5 to cycle between vert, edge, open edgeloop, face, and element. 6 takes you to top object level.

I've used both for work, and as a modeler, you'll really appreciate Max once you get over it's quirks.

Play with Edge constraints and soft selection. They're my fav Max vs Maya features.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    well, all of those suggestions have definitely helped, so thank you!

yes, MoP, work flow is DEFINITELY differnet. and the tools, it seems are way different as well. Slowly workin away at it. Ive had a picture of a weapon ive wanted to do for a while now, so i figured id learn with that.

a question about edge loops. specifically adding them. Whats the best way to do that? I set up a hot key to insert edge loop, as i did with maya, but all it does is add a loop in the middle. And then i cant slide it to where i want, unless im missing something. Is the best way to add an edge loop the connect tool? or is there a better way? with the connect tool, i had to highlight all of the edges i want, which can really slow my down in certain cases.

what about deleting edge loops? i tried that and it deleted the entire geometry around it?

thanks for the help guys. i really appreciate it.
  • CastratedWeasel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CastratedWeasel polycounter lvl 10
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    slipsius: use "Remove" to get rid of unwanted vertices / edges / edge loops - pressing "delete" will actually physically delete the geometry, which is usually not what you want.

connect is the best way to add edge loops - if you want to put them into a ring just select one edge from the edge ring, then select the edge ring, then do Connect.
    you can move the edge loop around afterwards by turning on "constrain to edges", or you can use the options box to the right of Connect to tweak the insertion point (and number of edges to connect).

I would hotkey all these things - I can model super-fast in Max by having mainly these hotkeys:
    C = connect
    X = collapse
    CTRL+E = remove
    R = select edge ring
    F = select edge loop
    ALT+C = cut

That gives you pretty much everything you need for basic poly modelling.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Inside of polyboost (graphite tools in 3dsmax 2010) there is a Swiftloop function lets you place a loop wherever you click. It was inside the polydraw tools in polyboost, not sure where it is now in 2010. If I remember correctly it lets you slide it into place before you release. I haven't used it in a while tho...
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    MoP, thanks for the hot key setup! ive changed them all, cept for one. connect... there isnt just a "connect" in the options. theres connect edge (poly), connect vertex (poly), connect options x2, connect (spline).

also, whats connect even do? lol. or cut, for that matter?

ive noticed extrude works differently as well. can only go up and down it seems. say, for a cylinder, in maya, i could select faces in the middle, and extrude, then it would go out from the cylinder. max, it seems i cant? unless i pressed something i shouldnt have. which, ive done a few times already. lol
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cut lets you draw/click edges across the surface of the mesh. If you select two edges and click connect it creates an edge between them. Select two parallel loops and click connect and it inserts a loop between them.

You can also click the box next to the connect button and insert more than one edge and pinch it to the outer edges.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Cut is the same as Maya's Split Polygon tool.

Connect just makes new edges between any contiguous selected edges (if they share a face, they will be "connected" by a new edge across the face). Connect also works on vertices - select 2 vertices that share a face and Connect will make an edge between the 2 verts. A fast use for this is to select a bunch of verts somewhere and just hit Connect - it's basically the same as doing "Triangulate" in Maya - it will create edges across all faces shared by the selected verts.

Simply use them a bit and figure out what they do.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    ya, thanks vig! ive been playing around with it for a few hours now. im startin to get the hang of it! woot
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Someone living in Canada? :D

I don't know about Maya but you might find the ; key useful. It repeats your previous actions, so if you extruded a face, and clicked ; it would extrude the face again with the same settings.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    ok. so im having an issue. lol. im trying to add loops to preserve my edges when smoothing, but im getting this messed up thing happening... from left to right in this picture (before, adding loop, after). in maya this was usually caused my normals not facing the right way, but i dunno where normals are in max so i cant check. is it the normals or something else causing it? i might add that its only this little section its happening. i can do it to the indented area just above where im trying with no problems. its like there is an auto merge or something on?

EDIT: fixed the problem. was just cause i hadnt filled in the back of it. as soon as i did that, it worked.
    maxMess.jpg
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Glad you figured it out, but its weird it wouldn't do that on an open edge I'll have to see if I recreate that at some point, I don't think it should do that. =)

There are two ways I know of to check the normals.
    1) Apply a Edit Normals Modifier to your mesh. It draws lines from each vert showing which way.
    2) If you're just checking to see if a poly is flipped or not, with the object selected you can right click the viewport, go object properties and turn on backface culling. It will make the back faces transparent.

Leaving backface culling on for a lot of objects can impact viewport performance, but it really depends on the scene, the system and the version of 3dsmax.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Thanks vig! that helps alot actually! seems as though alot of the things i cant find come as modifiers in max.

after about 8-10 hours of playing around with it, this is what ive done. http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=65246

just one more question, for now. Besides going into the object properties, is there a way to find out poly counts? object properties only seems to work with 1 object at a time, so with floating geo, doesnt help too much.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's looking good, nice work. Good object to learn on too.

Poly/tri count comes up as text in the viewport. Press 7 or right click the viewport label in the upper left corner and turn on "show statistics".

To configure the stats (show verts/polys, selected, all ect) Right click the viewport label go > configure > statistics tab.
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    Great thread - I just made the transition to Max from Maya myself, and am actually adapting pretty quickly. Initially, the differences seemed counter-intuitive, but now I'm starting to see that Max's modeling tools are a lot more precise than Maya's, and give me a greater degree of control.

It's almost inevitable that I'll have an obvious, yet very real, problem and end up posting it in here. Some very helpful tips so far!
  • elte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    elte polycounter lvl 18
    Mop, ideally I wouldnt use any shortcut to select loop or ring, I prefer to use ctrl+shift in maya, Still haven't figured how max work.. this is what I mean

http://draster.com/videos/downloadable/NEXv1-part1.mov

Is there partial loop/ring in max? Couldn't find it yet.

Also I notice when I activate cut tool, click on some edges, and when I rotate the viewport using alt+mmb, it's disabled, is that normal?
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    How do you smooth normals in max? in maya we just had to go tthe normals drop down, and click smooth.
  • CrazyMatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Under you're edit modifer panel where the functions of "extrude, ring, loop, ect."
    There should be a square # chart of buttons stating (1,2,3,4-30) at the near bottom.
    Not quite sure myself what they all do. But if you have a component part(s) selected, and press one of the #'s. It will smooth it out.

It's really odd I know, but that's the way it works. Unless if you're like me and have "polyboost" installed. Well, then it's the standard maya approach with only 3 buttons (Smooth, Hard, 30) :)
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Thank you kindly crazyMatt
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Or, add a Smooth modifier on top of your stack.