Home General Discussion

3D Print!

Replies

• jouste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jouste polycounter lvl 14
    this looks so super cool. you must keep us updated with the "sanding" pics, i've only ever really seen these in the state it is there.

super job guys!
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Aw, damn. This shit's rad!

Question: You said above that the maximum size is 6x6x8 inches, but is that just for a large, single object? Can you do exploded models that would be reassembled later, or would it take multiple batches?
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks guys!

Mop: updated my post with some answers, including some pricing info.

on this guy, we broke the bank. Chosen for his awesomeness, we gave Manuel no time to make the appropriate changes one would expect when getting something printed, so his cape, pauldrons, every bit of armor is a discrete part and thus completely solid, which = lots of material used. He weighs in at $124

Swizzle: Absolutely! if you don't mind gluing, then neither do we. However, any ball sockets or other fitted/housed mechanical parts would need to be in the same print.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Very, very cool.

Can you give an estimate/guesstimate as to how much the owl would've cost had it been fully optimized for this process? If I wanted to print out a bunch of little skinny bits like armor for a character I also printed, but they were all really thin (say, a millimeter or two at the thickest), how might that affect the price? Would it be more efficient to just make the character and armor bits a single solid object so the software can just optimize the whole thing together?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    $124? Damn, I thought you were going to say something like $300!
    For that price, at that size, it seems like a great deal!

Maximum 6x6x8 inches, you say... does that mean this owl is about as big as you can reasonably go for a single object? If not, what are the dimensions of the owl?

At that price I'd probably want to print something as big as it could possibly go :)
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord McMutton polycounter lvl 17
    So how difficult is it going to be to sand all of the tiny details?
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 18
    Nice work Ian and Travis--the owl came out beautiful!
  • Asthane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asthane polycounter lvl 18
    That looks familiar, I don't suppose that's a Dimension doing the printing? Well, no reason it should be, just curious. ABS plastic is ABS plastic I guess no matter how you slice it ;)

<shameless promotion> Anyone in the North Carolina Raleigh/Durham/Cary neighborhood interested in larger prints or doing some casting could do worse than to look up the local TechShop </shameless promotion>
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Swizzle - It's impossible to say for sure without seeing the model. Yes, thin parts seem to take up less material, but a thick part is mostly hollow with a thin shell. It's a trade-off. In order to be done more cheaply, Otus could have been modeled more contiguously, without all the undercuts and inside planes. Right now he's got lots of details that will never be seen - you can pop off his cape and see everything on the back of the armor printed as nicely as the front. But what the price would get down to is impossible to say without an actual model.

Mop - Otus' actual dimensions are 3.41"x 4.54"y 4.01"z, z = up. We can go much bigger, but he's got so much surface area that he'd be more expensive than we wanted our first show pony to be.

and that's an important factor when determining how much material it will eat - surface area can be just as important as volume.
  • ChaosEidolon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChaosEidolon polycounter lvl 17
    nice man!! Just found the thread. Can't wait to see what you guys crank out.
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow very cool. show us the sanded down version! and then the painted version of course.

this is awesome, I'm gonna model a 6x6x8 box and get it printed. its gonna be so cool.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for the enlightenment, Sectaurs. This is sounding very interesting indeed... I guess I should try and prep a few models and send them in for a quote :)

Oh, and just for absolute clarity, when you say the owl print "weighs in at $124", does that mean the cost in material to you guys, or the amount you'd charge a client getting that printed?
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    So how difficult is it going to be to sand all of the tiny details?

I've built a few resin and injection plastic models, and if I had to hazard a guess, I would say somewhere between pain in the ass and impossible. Srsly, that would be no picnic. You might could used some sort of self-leveling primer, though.

I'm still psyched to try this out, though!
  • [MILES]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [MILES] polycounter lvl 17
    I think that is a fantastic idea. I've been wanting to get something made like this but the current prices are just beyond what I'd be willing to pay, in all good conscience.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    MoP wrote: »
    Oh, and just for absolute clarity, when you say the owl print "weighs in at $124", does that mean the cost in material to you guys, or the amount you'd charge a client getting that printed?

That is the amount a client would pay for the model.

For sanding something like Otus - yeah, it'd be a bit of a pain in the ass. There are special tools for that sort of thing that will help, but there's a lot of nooks and a lot of crannies. Naturally, your larger flatter shapes will take sanding much easier.
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    Sectaurs wrote: »
    For sanding something like Otus - yeah, it'd be a bit of a pain in the ass. There are special tools for that sort of thing that will help, but there's a lot of nooks and a lot of crannies.

These are examples of some files I have for sanding curves and crevices and such:

http://www.micromark.com/5-PIECE-DIAMOND-RIFFLER-SET-FINE-GRIT,7751.html

http://www.toolplanet.com/product/MIT-10-piece-Curved-Needle-File-Set-MIT-6661?utm_medium=shoppingengine&utm_source=googlebase&cvsfa=1799&cvsfe=2&cvsfp=MIT6661
  • katzeimsack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katzeimsack polycounter lvl 17
    That's soo awesome! and cheap at the same time! I know where i will print lot's of stuff soon :D
  • stoofoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stoofoo polycounter lvl 18
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    Hey Sectaurs, best of luck man. We're in the middle of shopping around for a company that can print master models for a wargames company. So far, the most likely one we've found uses the same printer that Games Workshop use which has a 16 micron resolution (that's finer than a human hair). Can you match that level of detail on a miniature roughly 30mm high? I'd love to throw some business to another polycounter, specially at the rates you're charging :D