Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    shit sux. hopefully JP wasn't affected.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I agree with the comments, really poor choice of wording on that press release. comparing themselves to wounded soldiers? meh

As an aside, this is the first layoff news we've had in a long time, and this one actually has a real reason behind it besides, we're not doing well.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Yesterday I read the creative director had jumped ship. Not sure why. That seems to spell the end. Today I read this. My time at Atomic ended over a month ago. I hate to think the people who assisted me are now in the same trouble I'm in.

There were good talented folks at Atomic. I hope they have luck finding new jobs.

That said. This is all due to the controversy of the project. Not the current financial climate.

Very poor wording with the press release.
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is kind of sad really, bad press killed this studio.

No one seems to complain about any of the WW2 fps games, yet 60 million people died during that war both soldiers and non combatants. Yet here we have a game trying to accurately depict a more recent war with far FAR fewer casualties and the media goes off on it. I guess the grief of those lost more recently is still to raw.

Hopefully those affected can find new work quickly.
  • Jet_Pilot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jet_Pilot polycounter lvl 10
    Yea so after getting drunk today, I decided to check out the boards and see what was new besides my company collapsing.

@ ElysiumGX - well apparently his contract was up, but the CEO decided not to renew it. This would later explain its self because the company could no longer float its self and had no money.

Atomic Games went down to a skeleton crew of 3 artist, 4 engineers, 1 designer, 1 producer and a FEW other individuates (around 10-12 total), mainly to work on the engine and other avenues of revenue.

I wish all ex and current Atomic Games co-workers the best of luck on their new projects and adventures. You all will be missed a lot. Sadly I am not one of the chosen few to stay on, and will be adding my name to the long list of unemployed artist out there in the world.
  • joe gracey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joe gracey polycounter lvl 11
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    damm sorry guys. hope you find work in Raleigh.
  • Cthogua
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cthogua polycounter lvl 18
    ElysiumGX wrote: »
    Yesterday I read the creative director had jumped ship. Not sure why. That seems to spell the end. Today I read this. My time at Atomic ended over a month ago. I hate to think the people who assisted me are now in the same trouble I'm in.

There were good talented folks at Atomic. I hope they have luck finding new jobs.

That said. This is all due to the controversy of the project. Not the current financial climate.

Very poor wording with the press release.

DUDE...really? We worked together? Hehehe I guess I should've left my little environment artist corner more often. Although to be honest I've been neglecting Polycount for a year or more now, so I would've missed any announcement. What did you do? I was the guy with the long hair and beard who sat next to Suzanne.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Cthogua wrote: »
    DUDE...really? We worked together?

We had a good chat at the BBQ in the park. I mentioned Polycount. I was the QA guy waiting for another EnvArt position to open up. Never did. :D
  • Cthogua
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cthogua polycounter lvl 18
    ElysiumGX wrote: »
    We had a good chat at the BBQ in the park. I mentioned Polycount. I was the QA guy waiting for another EnvArt position to open up. Never did. :D

OOOOH Ok yeah hehe I remember the chat. Sorry I didn't connect the dots...like I said I've been kind of neglecting Polycount and really even personal 3D work for a little while now. That project kind of sucked some of my enthusiasm for 3D away.(it's back now though :D) Yeah sorry that didn't pan out, but now the rest of us are in the same boat too :P Not sure If I'm gonna stay in the area or not. There's a few opportunities, but Sara, my wife, has gotten into the idea of moving somewhere new, so that might happen as well. I'm currently working on an art test, and we'll see how that and a few other apps. pan out before I start looking farther afield though.

james ball