Home Technical Talk

Maya 2009 move tool annoyance

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Pseudo polycounter lvl 18
I cant figure this out, I'm hopeing one of you noticed the same thing...

In Maya if you use the middle mouse button while on the move tool it allows you to nudge verts around in all 3 axis.

maya2009b.jpg

If you left click on one of the axis, then the move tool is "locked" on that axis in the sense that if you middle mouse drag it will only move on that axis.

maya2009a.jpg

In all the previous versions of Maya if I had clicked on the X axis and was "locked" on that axis, pressing the W key (hotkey for the move tool) would "reset" the axis and allow me to middle mouse nudge in all 3 axis again.
I just installed Maya 2009 and now pressing the W key doesn't do anything, the gizmo stays locked in the X axis until I either manually click off the selection or change tools to scale and then back to move.

It's VERY minor, but its something that I've just become accustom to in my workflow and this little hitch bugs the shit out of me since I cant figure out if there is a setting thats changed or if the functionality is just different now.

Anyone else know what I mean? Or am I the only person that works like this.

Replies

• ivars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivars polycounter lvl 15
    There was a post about this before.
    You could either just get used to pressing Q,W or something instead, or make a small script that does that and assign it to the W key.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    You can also get back into screen-space by CTRL+left clicking on the yellow box in the centre of the manipulator.
  • elte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    elte polycounter lvl 18
    hold shift+mmb and u're locked to whatever axis your mouse goes. otherwise you can click the cyan box and when it turned to yellow like pic 1, youre free from any axis constraint.

uhm...at least q w workflow is better than modo's space w :P
  • Pseudo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pseudo polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks guys, finally someone understands what ive been trying to tell my coworkers.

ivars - good idea on the script.
  • Flynny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flynny polycounter lvl 9
    Ivars good call, I swear this is the most annoying thing ive had to deal with so far while animating >< but then the animation layers make up for it i suppose ;D
  • RyanTaylor3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have the same problem as the poster but that didn't fix my problem..

When I hit Q and then go back into the move tool it is still locked on the X axis. So I can't move with MMB on all 3 axis, perpendicular to the camera view, until I click the cyan box. If I try and MMB move, it takes me along X only. :/
  • ivars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivars polycounter lvl 15
    Ryan: that's weird. It works for me.
    just add a new hotkey and paste this in to the command and assign it to "w".

setToolTo $gSelect;
    setToolTo $gMove;
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Similarly, I don't get the MMB functionality with the rotate tool any more. If I start to rotate an axis, change camera view, then continue with MMB, it auto-picks the nearest axis to the new camera position.

Ryan, which video card are you using?
  • RyanTaylor3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not compeltely sure what we have at work. I'll have to check but I'm pretty sure it's an 8500. I don't have any problems at home - just at the studio.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    Super f*cking annoying I posted about this a while back. Some one e-mailed me the answer here it is.

-In the Maya Hotkey Editor, create a new hotkey. Call it something like "TranslateTool_PRESS"
    -In the subsection of "Assign new hotkey" assign "w" as press
    -For the command of the new hotkey type in:

buildTranslateMM;
    setToolTo $gMove;

-Save the hotkey
    -Now make another hotkey. Call it something like "TranslateTool_RELEASE"
    -In the subsection of "Assign new hotkey" assign "w" as release
    -For the command of this one type in:

MarkingMenuPopDown;

-Save the hotkey
  • ivars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivars polycounter lvl 15
    malcolm: Good call. I guess I rushed it a bit with my suggestion.
  • RyanTaylor3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll def have to try this out when I get back to work tomorrow. Thanks yo. It's just so weird that it only happens at work and not at home.
    Any speculations on that, anyone?
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    No idea, the code has changed in maya2009.
  • sama.van
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sama.van polycounter lvl 14
    I received 2 weeks ago my Maya 2009 licence...

I installed it yesterday night....

And this shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitt!!!

They modified lot of stuff and cannot understand why...

A - switch between the change pivot tools and object mode is shiiittt..

B - The mulit color component selection compeltly and definitly unusefull.

C - The Snap Uvs tools doesn't work anymore..

B - The FBX Function in the mel script documentation changed of name (with the exactly same version of the exporter in Maya 2008)

D - The workflow for the export selection on the FBX exporter changed too with the version of the exporter but on Maya 2009....

E - the new little menu in the viewport is bot usefull too, and delete space in my viewport!!

F - When you start another Maya, Maya create an error saying this si probably because you have another instance of Maya... and your default script are crashing at the beginning

anyway. only 2h on Maya 2009....

RAAAAAA!!! Autodesk you definitly SUCKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!
    fuck and fuck!!!
  • ivars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivars polycounter lvl 15
    sama.van wrote: »
    A - switch between the change pivot tools and object mode is shiiittt..

B - The mulit color component selection compeltly and definitly unusefull.

C - The Snap Uvs tools doesn't work anymore..

B - The FBX Function in the mel script documentation changed of name (with the exactly same version of the exporter in Maya 2008)

D - The workflow for the export selection on the FBX exporter changed too with the version of the exporter but on Maya 2009....

E - the new little menu in the viewport is bot usefull too, and delete space in my viewport!!

F - When you start another Maya, Maya create an error saying this si probably because you have another instance of Maya... and your default script are crashing at the beginning

A - It's the same as it's always been.... press insert, or hold d.......

B - Turn it off if you don't like it. "Preselction highlight" in preferences

C - It's the same as before, works for me....

E - Turn off "show panel toolbar" ni preferences

F - Works for me. Maybe something with your setup....
  • RyanTaylor3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm wrote: »
    No idea, the code has changed in maya2009.

I'm using '09 at both home and work. Iunno.
  • sama.van
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivars wrote: »
    A - It's the same as it's always been.... press insert, or hold d.......

Wrong.

Maya 2008 : First press insert for activing the change pivot mode and you can press W for activing the move tools
    Maya 2009 : Need to press the Insert key one more time for coming back to the previous mode.
    And, Inser is a far away key, to have to move the left hand near the W // E // S key to the insert key, is lost of time and disturb while working.

But yeas anyway, some mel script and it will resolved...
    Just it's new and stupid.

B - Turn it off if you don't like it. "Preselction highlight" in preferences

In the Preferences // Manuipulator // Preselection Higlight I stick off the Highligh manip Handles and it doesn't stop the christmas tree mode selection.
    C - It's the same as before, works for me....

Wrong :

- Maya 2008 : Once you select an Uv, you can put your mouse cursor on a far away Uv and activing the snap and it will snap your point.

- Maya 2009 : snap only work on the most nearest Uv or if there is an uv in a distance less than 0.1 or 0.2 in the mapping editor.
    E - Turn off "show panel toolbar" ni preferences

Oh yeah, I also find the CTRL+Shift+M hotkey in the documentation
    Thansk for the key words!

F - Works for me. Maybe something with your setup....

Yeah Maya works but will say that :
    Maya2009 wrote:
    // Error: line 1: Could not create command port : commandportDefault (terminating other Maya instances may solve this problem) //

Conclusion : why they lost time to change old tools when they was working well...
    Also the documention is more slow......
  • sama.van
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

And if someone success to make working the mipmapp options in Maya 2009, I would be glad he explains it to me!!

in Maya 2008 it works perfectly but in Maya 2009 there is not difference between Mimap Linear and Mipmap Trilinear.....
  • sama.van
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sama.van wrote: »
    In the Preferences // Manuipulator // Preselection Higlight I stick off the Highligh manip Handles and it doesn't stop the christmas tree mode selection.

Right I found it...

For ending the christmas mode :

- Empty current selection
    - Ctrl + Shift +RMB
    - ---> Marking Menu : "Select"
    - ---> Pre- selection Highlight

• nolocont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nolocont polycounter lvl 8
    i did this, double click on the move icon and the tool settings appear and check object or world option and all will be back to normal..