Home General Discussion

Darkest of Days - demo

Replies

• t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    Saw this on Rock Paper Scizzors earlier, congatulations guys!

/edit WTF work-related-retardedness. I mean Rock Paper Shotgun. Damn, my brain is fried.
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    reloading animations are sexy, nice and snappy :)
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    played it yesterday. runs blazingly fast on my 8800gts and the load times like firebert said are blink and you miss them. nice work dudes. visually it looks pretty good, the only things that kinda bugged me was the lighting seemed very white with little color in it and the animations in the 1st scene with the horses looked outta time kinda. meh minor things.

the guns were cool, the "active reload" thing was nice helped retain a semirealistic reload time, while having a way to get through it fast. great work guys ill probably grab this day 1.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    dudes, for seriousness now.

this game wets my dingle.
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Pure win

That is all.
  • Filbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Filbot polycounter lvl 12
    Almighty_gir says it best...
    dudes, for seriousness now.

this game wets my dingle.
  • dolemite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Man the demo was really great!

I was impressed with how sharp all the assets looked. The guns were awesome. That shit with the corn field was insane. It was pretty cool to waste all those dudes with the assault rifle.

Good work you guys! Day 1 purchase for me.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Lots of fun. Nice seeing so many polycounters work. Its funny, it tells me my system doesn't meet the minimum system req's, but then runs the game w/ everything set to "11" @1920x1200 like a champ.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    woohoo, can't wait to play it. Downloading it now!
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    cool, I like the reload system where it even takes some skill to "reload" instead of being completely automated.

And yea those load times are insanely fast.

The jumps are a bit floaty though, feels like I'm in some special anti gravity suit. I think there should be a option for enabling friendly fire too, just feels weird that I can run in front of my "team" while they are blasting away at the enemy :p It would also make you more careful with shooting enemies.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    I have to say I'm not a big fan of the graphic.. The individual parts do look quite good ... from time to time..
    but the composition is not mine..

because it trys to look photoreal but fails to come close to.
    so I would have loved to see a more stylised approach..

but anyway.. the game itself makes a lot of fun.. and with some polish.. we'll see :)

great demo btw
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, it is awesome. I am relieved to see that other people like what we had hoped they would like about the game :)
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    rollin wrote: »
    I have to say I'm not a big fan of the graphic.. The individual parts do look quite good ... from time to time..
    but the composition is not mine..

because it trys to look photoreal but fails to come close to.
    so I would have loved to see a more stylised approach..
    It's funny because I have the exact opposite opinion. I personally think that the game is stylized, the textures look like they've been run through the sharpen filter a bunch of times and the colours are really saturated. For example, the character skin tones have tonnes of red in them making them look really fleshy.
    I agree that it doesn't look photo-real, but I don't agree that it tries to look photo-real.

I thought the demo was great and I'm really looking forward to playing the full thing. You can tell that there was a small team on the project, but I think that's what gives the game so much character and appeal.

Congrats once again, 8monkey (and 3PS) crew.
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    I really enjoyed the demo but there where a few things that tood out as being really, really 'off' to me. Sor starters, running isn't very smooth, and going over slight changes in gradient makes your screen jump a tiny bit with the ground. its hard to explain, but it bug the hell out of me. Imagine it as instead of stepping down stairs, you just moved forward and then dropped half a foot instantly.

Another thing that got on my nerves was the waypoint targeting. Obviously you have the map, but it takes time and in bright areas is totally unreadable. It would be a ton easier if there was a hotkey that showed an arroy pointing oyu in the right direction momentarily, or minimalistic compass someplace. Its only when you get close to a target that your hud pops up to guide you, and I had to check the map every two minuites to make sure I knew where I was going first time through. It could have been the vauge open layout of the level, but I always felt a little lost.

Everythign else is great fun! I cant wait to buy the full game!
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I only got to play for a few minutes before my pc crashed and died (not sure if thats a problem with my graphics card ati 4850 also crashes in farcry2 and batman arkham in the same way, lines on screen). What I did play was good with all the red indians everywhere but I found the aiming felt a little wierd and I couldnt really see wether I had hit someone or not, there was sometimes a very slight blood spray or smoke so I guess that means a hit but it was quite hard to see, could just be that I had a lame little gun and it gets more obvious later.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The game is beautiful, great job Joe etc.!

A few LOD pops here and there took me out of the zone, some unpleasant invisible boundaries too, but all that makes sense given the size of the team, first project, all that. Niggling issues really. Been there, there's only so much time in the day. And you guys definitely did it right.

Loved the little touches like the leaves rustling across the forest floor, all the ambient animations, the lighting, rustling through the cornfield, the scripted sequences. The indian fight was really well done IMO.

Great game, looking forward to this.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    ah, man. Darkest of Days doesn't like my computer. I am running two different O.S. on separate hard drives, one is xp 32bit the other is vista 64 bit, and the game crashes at some point every time, usually right after the opening cutscene when your horse is shot, before you get to actually play the game. So yeah, I tried the game on xp and vista, but it crashes for me either way.

I have a strong computer as well. Intel Quad core 2x 8800gt, 8 gigs ram...
    I thought possibly the game didn't like the 3 monitors I have, so I turned all off except one, but that didn't help. I hope they can fix these issue at some point. I really want to play this. Oh, and I passed the bench mark with flying colors, so no problems there.
  • sicsided
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was having errors coming up with a lot of games lately involving drivers for my 8800gts. Check to see if your drivers are up to date.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    sicsided: yeah, that's the first thing I did. Both O.S. have the latest drivers from the nvidia site installed.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    demo got a perfect rating from shacknews, nice!

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/60023