Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

1950's Bunker

Well, this being my first post, i'll make a quick introduction. My name is Pbcrazy, I've been working on different hobby size game projects for about 2 years now, from 2D to 3D, online and offline (and yet i'm still horrible at art :D ).

Anyway, now that that is out of the way. I've been wanting to start a small 3D project. But before I do anything else, I need to get my 3D skills back in shape (been working on 2D projects for the past 6 months). I also recently bought Luke Ahearn's book on 3D Game Textures, and needed something to apply them in. As well, I wanted to try working with modularity style of development. And this all funnels down to this scene...

A cartoonish 1950's make-shift bunker. Now albeit, this first render only has place holder textures, it'll hopefully give you an idea on the final product. I'm going to replace the light concrete on the floor with a wood plank texture, the dark concrete on the floor with some diamond plate, but keep the walls and ceiling a concrete texture.

file.php?id=17

And now, I am attempting to recreate the same scene except using modular pieces.

file.php?id=18

And now as a disclaimer, I didn't use a real modeling app to create this yet, so far I've only used 3D World Studio (a CSG type program). But after I complete it in 3DWS, I'm going to see how hard/long it will take me to do the same thing in XSI Mod Tool (still don't have enough cash to afford Modo, or XSI, or 3ds Max). I also think this is extremely bland (and not just because of the textures) I suppose I am just lacking in the creativity department (which is an obvious problem, but I really don't like programming).

Anyway, enough blabbering, C&C greatly appreciated.

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not to shabby, I like that you're thinkin' modular!

About the planned texture swaps, concrete floor for wood with concrete walls. that seems a little odd to me. Normally you would have a concrete base and maybe wood walls.

Keep chuggin along! A lot of people started out with weird 3D apps and managed to make the transition at some point so no worries =)
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Shame to see someone struggling without a copy of necessary software because they can't afford it. It's the old catch 22, you need to buy the software to get good enough to be paid, you can't afford the software because you don't have that job yet.

I'd reccomend getting max or maya SOMEHOW, talk to friends who are into computers and art, they may know of a deal or something on max/ maya. I know students get a pretty good price. So much of being a good artist is getting very comfortable with a top end software product.

Get the software, learn the hotkeys, just play with it. Can't make art if you're not comfortable. Work hard enough and keep having fun and you might be able to afford this stuff some day.
  • Pbcrazy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys.

I have no idea why i came up with the wooden plank floors, but the other night when i was trying to think of a good scene to create, for some reason i though it'd be cool to have like wooden slats on the floor that water could drain through to a concrete... lower area i guess, kinda like a mini flood canal lol.

Unfortunately, I'm really comfortable with this software, which is kinda bad, as it's slightly limiting, and has many draw backs. Currently I'm saving up, and just past the $1000 mark a couple days ago, so I might look into getting Modo.

Any recommendations for someone who would prefer to specialize as a Environment Artist?
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm a Modo user and it's quite capable for environment art. However it sounds like money is an issue here so before going out and spending $995 on a commercial license of Modo you should really check out other alternatives.

Free XSI Mod Tool is a good option if you're not working on commercial projects (a commercial license is available very cheaply for XNA Creators Club premium members for XBox Live games). Once Blender 2.5 gets released it will probably also be quite good. Houdini also has a free learning version but I'm not sure how good it is for game art http://www.sidefx.com/

If you do need a commercial license then be sure to download the free trial of Modo before you buy it. You might like Modo and you might not best to try before you buy. Sometimes Luxology will email you a discount on the full license during the trial as well.
  • Pbcrazy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aye, i tried to download the modo trial, but it has a page saying they are working on getting the next/current version out to their customers. Suppose i should email them...

And I'll check out houdini...
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry I forgot about that, yeah not sure when the new trial for Modo will be up. In that case I'd go with XSI Mod Tool you will probably be able to get more help with that here on Polycount than Houdini.