Home General Discussion

2D skill levels required for the 3D Artist

As a 3D artist, how 'far-out' must your traditional/digital skills in 2D art be?

Should you be able to create the stunning environments and designs that the Concept Artists are able to make?

I think you need to have a decent level of skill in order to be able to get the correct portions and recreate things in three dimensions but, I'm not too sure on what level that skill has to be.

Perhaps a few example images of your concepts or 2D work and whatnot so I can get an idea of what I need to approach and possibly exceed.

Maybe I shouldn't be asking this because, if every 3D artist were able to create the stunning vistas, they'd be working as Concept Artists, right?

Or maybe you should be working on these skills all the time to constantly improve.

Replies

• Seaseme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seaseme polycounter lvl 8
    I think the most important part of 2d skills is just being able to show what you're thinking. It's a tool that will really help when it comes to pre-vis. On top of that, you should probably understand Color Theory pretty well.

Just be able to put on to paper what you're visualizing in your head. I think that should be sufficient. 2D is one of those things that you should always be working to improve.

Myself? I draw for 30-40 minutes a day just to keep sharp. I know it will help me in the future, and it's definitely one of those things that will really help advance your career.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    As good as possible !
  • PieJesu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Seaseme

Good answer.

I 'think' I'm alright at drawing, but then again, alot of people think they're alright - when they really aren't.

Good enough to bring something from concept to final though just, the concept doesn't quite look professional enough. I guess I should post more work on these boards to get some genuine critique as opposed to people just trying to make me happy eh.

@pior

That's what I'm going for! :P
  • Kevin Albers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Albers polycounter lvl 18
    Well, you want really good texture painting skills as a 3D artist, and textures are 2D, so you want really good 2D skills. Great concept art skills are nice, but not a huge requirement for many 3D artists...depends on the gig.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahh the do I need to be an artist to hold an artist position question.

No, but it really really helps.
  • PieJesu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe I should've searched before I posted eh. Sounds like you've answered this question alot ;)
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    I'm gonna be heretical, and say, if your not enjoying drawing for itself and just doing it to try and further some other ability by proxy, then it may not be a good idea. Drawing should be fun and would it really improve your 3d skills? Its not a neccesary thing for 3d.

But thats just my opinion and I dont know anything.
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    be damn good at what you do and you'll get paid for it.

however, if you can do a bunch of other stuff as well, people will slather over your balls with saliva.

do what you love baby!
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFcFT4UZE28[/ame]
  • DInusty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DInusty polycounter lvl 17
    2d skills are great to have. which reminds me i need to work on mine. i strongly sigguest having a 7/10 grasp on it at least
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Hmm you need to be able to paint! I know a lot of painters than can't draw, even though they paint in a photo realistic way. You should have basic drawing skills cause they help, but what really matters is know how to paint things, and shade them to create the illusion of how color and light works. I can draw fine. I dislike painting though. I think in terms of lines, and tend to see shading as an after thought, which is really bad.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Hehe JW, Jay Kay huh? That must be the best example, since I think the guy cannot even read music tabs. He really just does his own thing.

SO yeah I'd say pick whatever you want, if you don't you will face quite a bit of frustration. The problem with CG is that most recruiters/producers really think of it as 2D vs 3D. Yet I cannot think of a single kickass modeler who can NOT draw.
  • [Deleted User]
    Drawing won't make you better at 3d stuff any faster than just doing the 3d stuff. Like riding a bike won't make you better at running faster than just running would. But, as in sports, cross training can have benefits. If you draw a lot of people your anatomy knowledge will increase. Draw a lot of mechanical stuff and your design sense will improve. Nothing's really wasted in art. But the idea that if you draw a lot you will suddenly become better at making realistic textures, well, that isn't really true.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    if we are talking about drawing from imagination to a concept artist level, then i am not good at drawing, but I am not bad at drawing from life and using lots of reference to create reasonably convincing 2d illustrations.
    But would I be quick enough and imaginative enough to do my own concepts in 2d then model them, then I would say no.
    I see myself as a modeller/texture artist primarily. I lost all interest in 2d when I sold my last airbrush.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    Why not both?

2D is much faster when it comes to prototyping designs
    and its really not that hard. just takes practice..
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    PieJesu wrote: »
    Or maybe you should be working on these skills all the time to constantly improve.

secondeded
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    in 10 years we will have cyborgs who will draw for us, so don't worry about it..

ya, it helps really. :)
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    I know quite a few guys that can model well and can't draw a lick nor wants too.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Only problem with drawing as a modeller is when you have to work with a concept artist less creative and skilled than you :P.

Agreed with drawing making you a much stronger modeller.

Its also more fun modelling your own concepts ;).
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think to a certain extent it really boils down to exactly what your goals are, and what type of work you're doing. To me, it seems much more important for character artists to have a very solid knowledge of 2d, drawing, anatomy etc, than it would for someone who is doing weapons or props for instance. That is not to say that these jobs don't require additional skills, they just focus less on the drawing aspect of it.

Also i think if you want to be in a position that you are designing AND creating assets, its very important to have solid conception skills at any position. For me thats not really my thing, i would rather someone who's developed their concepting skills and know-how do that work than to sort of half ass it myself, you know? Also i don't want to be the guy that has to mind read what the designers what as far concepting goes, i really enjoy the straight forward work when dealing with a concept a lot more. Some guys really love to have more freedom, to work with loose concepts and be a bit more creative, and in that i think you need some better conceptual skills.

At the end of the day, its really up to how you like to work, and what sort of work you enjoy doing. You can absolutely create great 3d work without knowing much of anything traditional wise, or training specifically to be a concept artist. Also i think a lot of the skills that are required in the more traditional sense(because its far from just drawing) you will pick up in the process of creating assets, i think that is a natural process.
  • PieJesu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very happy with the informative replies :)

I guess I'll keep doing what I'm doing, modelling and concepting for some mod projects. I do love to draw as drawing was the only thing I was capable of doing until I decided to delve in the 3D world. It's just slightly frustrating when you strive to achieve some of the astounding levels of work out there but can't quiet get the 'magic' flowing. Maybe I expect it to look good too quickly eh.