Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

low-poly monster bust

pseudo low poly I suppose, I was aiming for an in game polycount for a nextgen title which I think I maintained for the percentage of the body that's actually modeled.
It has a 1024x1024 diffuse map,it's 80% self illuminated and is composed of 608 triangles.

bustcomposite.jpg

bustviewport360.gif

MONBUSTCOMP.jpg

let me know what you think.
feedback and critisism is appreciated.

Replies

• beartraps
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beartraps polycounter lvl 8
    If this is for next-gen than should make a high poly for this and bake normals. Concept isnt bad it just looks really flat since its only a diffuse mapped to it.

Not really feeling the mosaic tiles filter overlay on it. Keep messing with it, definitely do some sculpting, im sure you could get something creepy lookin with tons of detail for a normal map!
  • DoomiVox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    512x512 normal map now included.

bust_update1.jpg

i'm thinking about taking the normal map off and really treating it like a like a static bust and texturing in some dramatic/less ambigious lighting.

comments?
  • ha55a
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scary. This reminds me of the necromorphs in Dead Space. I love the visible veins in its head.

What were your references? It seems like your aiming for a human look, whereas you go against that with the head.

I agree with beartraps, try a sculpt :)

Maybe add some rot on one of the pecs/under the arm? Would add to the horror.

It looks awesome.
  • DoomiVox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i made a rough doodle for the general shape of the bust on an index card and hoped to flesh it out as i went along. i was sort of channeling the creature from the black lagoon mixed with the 3rd stage of the william birken tyrant from resident evil 2.

i'm thinking of changing the color scheme for the last revision to something with blue and yellow hues and i'm gonna bake lighting to create the impression the creature is housed in some sort of damp,cavern esque basement.

i'm also going to take note to increase vein presence and at a bit of rot element.
  • DoomiVox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    progress. i had something different in mind for the colors but it looked a little too gears for my comfort.
    one diffuse map 1024x1024 at 80% self illumination.

bust_update_montage1.jpg

bust_update_montage2.jpg

thoughts?