Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Concept Assault Rifle for Fallout 3

AssualtRifleConcept_wip1.gif

AssualtRifleConcept_wip2.gif

Just started this like an hour ago. Drew the thing myself, photographed it with camera and imported it to Maya 2009 Unlimited. I am working as a modeler for a Fallout 3 mod.

I got the rough shape done and am shaping the pistol grip and will soon merge vertices.

I will have plenty of questions, lol but one first, how do I cut holes in model like to make the hole for the finger to press trigger?

Thanks, will update this as time goes on.

Replies

• Zotter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    need to see more :) it's hard to see where it will be going with only the silhouette you can see from the side.
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You mean you want to see my image plane alone??

I'll get more done today...
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seeing the concept and then seeing the model with wires turned on and see-though turned off would help. Right now the wires on the backside are making it look messy and hard to discern edge flow, which looks messy even without the added mess.
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah been a while since I last modeled.

Here's the concept, a gun I drew up

AssualtRifleConcept_wip0.gif

A question....

When I cut into the model to make a trigger guard, is it the best way to just delete faces and then sew the vertices together as neatly as I can or is there a better way??

Got my trigger guard done...

AssualtRifleConcept_wip3.gif

AssualtRifleConcept_wip4.gif

AssualtRifleConcept_wip5.gif
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Looks nice, except for that topology. Quads, my friend, or tris
  • MattBradley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea I'm not an expert but I would cut a loop just above where I wanted the trigger guard and then extrude the polys beneath, stopping where I wanted another loop to add detail until it was the required length. Then cut at the other end and weld it all up.
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok thanks Matt... haven't ever done loops before but I'll practice.

Made progress to the rifle...

AssualtRifleConcept_wip1.gif

AssualtRifleConcept_wip2.gif

AssualtRifleConcept_wip3.gif

AssualtRifleConcept_wip4.gif

AssualtRifleConcept_wip5.gif
  • MattBradley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    By adding a loop I'm referring to the 'Slice Plane' tool in Max. I know you're using Maya, but I assume that it would have a similar function somewhere. Using it would help keep your model tidier. It's pretty messy at the moment.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Looks like you are trying to block out most of the gun at once, this will cause problems with poly flow and the object will appear flat thus requiring lots of vert tweaking which will inevitably mean extra time spent on something that could have been avoided.

Best possible solution is to start over, read from the reference and visualise the object broken into pieces, use the nearest primitive shape and develop individual pieces, move on and try to build the gun as you would expect it to be manufactured so that in the end it would actually be a fully riggable model.

On a side note the reference is very plain, it helps to have a shaded reference so that you can determine the rounding of surfaces.
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jocose polycounter lvl 11
    I would suggest getting rid of some of your geometry. You need to have a very simple foundation to build on with as little geometry as possible. You may want to back up a bit clean things up and nail some of these basic components and their shapes and then add some of the geometry back in.

The mess you have around the trigger and handle is going to take you ages to clean up unless you just delete some of it.

EDIT: GCMP posted at the same time I did, basically the same advice. I agree starting over and re-tackling this based on the advice that has been given here would be a good idea.
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah you guys are right...

Hey I started a new model, new gun, desert eagle.

I made my image plane, put the reference image on it and it's all good to go but I have a problem! When I create a rectangle to start getting some shape made, my reference image is one the rectangle but I didn't set it to be on there?! Like this...

How do I get the image off the primitive when I create new objects?

Clipboard01.gif

Thank you for helping a newb!!
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    you'll defiantly want to keep these images so you can look back at them in a year or so ;)

keep it up!
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Also, how does one hold the first gun? The cartridge seems to get in the way of my arm in my imagination...
  • Mtg_kirin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    assign a new material and assign the ref texture to that and leave your default texture to grey.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    you are using maya and you've applied your image to lambert1 the default material. You'll need to create a new material and use that, not lambert1 default material.