Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sexy Flight Instructor :)

Hi guys, this is my first character wip based on a photo i found on the net. So far everything has been modeled in 3dsmax (with a little help from makehuman) and the only thing i've zbrushed so far are the gloves and a little bit of the face. Zbrush is also very new to me so I hope this thread will help me along the way especially when it comes time for textures, hair and overall composition!

So here's my first in what i hope are many wip shots :)

Render_02-1.jpg

And here's a fast paintover in photoshop to give you an idea for the hair

Render_02_paintover.jpg

Replies

• beartraps
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beartraps polycounter lvl 8
    Lookin sexy, she looks kinda like Sandra Bullock imo. Her hair out in front of her looks kinda strange tho, like shes wearing a fur coat. Gloves are looking good as far as i can see, I too am learning Zbrush.

Nice work, keep it up!
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Her hips look sort of non-existent.

Also her upper thighs look funny, the crotch too.
  • Jet_Pilot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jet_Pilot polycounter lvl 10
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    The corners of her mouth are razor-sharp. Make the little pockets there and the muscle pad around it. I think you might have pulled the corners up too much as well, which is a classic mistake for smiles. It should be more of a horizontal stretch than a curve. It's a bit hard to tell for sure without the other visual cues though. I'd drop the upper eyelids a bit as well, to get across a bit of a debauched, sexy look.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    I'll let everyone else handle the particulars of model execution, it's well beyond my purview. What I see you running into problems with real/soon/now is the overall concept and execution for the piece.
    You've got some photo ref that should be able to get you a lot of what you want for the female form, but it's not going to provide focus, color palette, and overall concept.

Start with a nice overview sketch--if you're not that great at drawing don't worry about it, just get some colors blocked in to think about the character as a whole, even if it's just a trace over whatever photo reference you've got going for her body. If I may:
    fempilotsketch.jpg

I don't think you'll have trouble with the particulars (looks like you have ref for helmet and gloves for instance), it's having a united concept for the character to go off.

There are a lot of talented modelers that nevertheless end up with a sort of jumbled, unfocused mess of a character--despite tightly modeled particulars--because they didn't have a working concept.
    It can evolve of course, but don't underestimate the strength of having even a crude sketch to work from+high res reference for particular elements.

Having fully dialed in orthos with call-outs on details all drawn out for you is better, of course, but it's hard to get a concept artist like that on a personal model :)
  • AaronF3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey man not bad, but i think the neck is way to thick. The female neck is usually long and slender.
  • kysterama
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments! :) Its great to get all this feedback before I start the body sculpting in earnest. I am very new to character modeling and zbrush in general so this helps heaps.

Gauss, i'll definitely do some more photoshop concepting before the next phase and try and get the look i'm after early in the process. I have a great studio photograph of a chinese woman in this pose with helmet and gloves and hair like that which really caught my eye and got me inspired to model this character.

CheeseOnToast, thanks for pointing that out. I'm also not happy with the face and will definitely spend more time on expressions and getting a better look happening with that mouth and those eyes.

Jet_Pilot, the reference photo i have also has no gap between the thighs so thanks for the advice, i'll definitely fix that up.
    n88tr, the hips are very slim and was kind of the waif thin look i was going for like the model in my photo reference but she could do with a little more shape ;)
    beartraps, the hair is going to be quite difficult i think to pull off I think, but i wanted this frazzlled kinda look happening.
    AaronF3d, good point, i'll try and make that neck a little more feminine!

I'll post the ref pic i have when i get home tonight so you can all see the kind of look i'm going for :)

Great stuff! Thanks everyone
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    It's looking good for a first try.

If you're new to character modeling, I would suggest you model the character in a more neutral pose first and then pose it again when you are done. It will prevent you from falling into the pitfalls of "what looks right for the pose" and what is actually anatomically correct. I can already see some areas where it looks like you might already be having that issue. Mostly below the belly button. The legs are too thin and doughy and do not look like they connect properly to the pelvis. You need to imagine the underlying forms and how they affect how the body moves, but once again, you would probably have less problem with this starting from a neutrasl pose.

Keep it up.:)
  • 3Drobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like it mate! I think the only thing i can point out to you atm is that the face may be abit 'manly'. so what you could do is a less sandra bullock square jaw, smaller up turned nose (not to upturned like that chick at work ;) ) more of a cutie face, dont get me wrong, shes good now, just abit masculine. I'll get you some pics if you want but you should be able to just google some of this stuff, 3d chicks ect, also poser... its got heaps of good shit to ref off. :)

See these for heart shaped faced girls:

http://my.smithmicro.com/mac/poser/index.html