Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

YO whats up

I'm going to make a destroyed metal wall, I dont have a lot of reference of torn metal but I can picture it, heres some reference i have of old metal

CIMG2456.jpg

CIMG2455.jpg

CIMG2457.jpg

its not torn where I would bend the pieces to make it seem as though something rip through the metal, not have that ref yet, started making the basic mesh as well

Replies

• ceebee
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee polycounter lvl 14
    Have you figured out what kind of metal it would be? I'd look up metal paneling, sheetmetal, iron construction, steel construction, rusted metal, aluminum, galvanized steel, etc. Each of these will had tons of reference material from google images, and adding adjectives to them such as aged, rusty/rusted, worn, etc might help with the specific look you're trying to go for.

None of the metal that you have pictured, the inside of a car I believe, would be used in making a wall since it's so thin. A metal that is quite thin is more prone to being completely covered in rust, but a larger/thicker piece would only have certain parts rusted over that were subjected to the elements/open to the elements.
  • Bulls_eye
    I see what you mean, the car metal I know is sheet metal, I was thinking of making the wall that is made out of this so that when i alpha the pieces being torn they are believable , because of the thinest of sheet metal

heres my mesh so far

fgd.jpg

wall_metal.jpg
  • Bulls_eye
    the sheet metal in the ref is about 50 years old, rust and decay for that long wheres it thinner, I agree it doesnt have the the detail I want where the metal has been punctured by some thing, I had an idea to buy some sheet metal and destroy it with some tools, I know i could cut it with a certain welder, and then get some monkey wrench and pull the ends out, not sure thats a good idea but be nice ref
  • ceebee
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee polycounter lvl 14
    A hole like that looks like it'd be caused by a large shell fired from a tank. If it was damage from something like a bomb it'd be bent throughout the hole plate like an inverted crater.

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=shell+damage&gbv=2&aq=f&oq=&aqi=
  • L3XICON
    if your going for sheet metal for the wall, it could be cool to show a frame of thicker cast iron or other strong metal that the sheet metal has been riveted too. it could both show the construction of the wall, and also make the silhouette of the punctured hole have some added interest too :D good luck!
  • Bulls_eye
    thanks for the feed back, well the thing that punctured the wall, and I thinks this sounds stupid so let me know, is a plant that eats humans, the place has been abandon as well for a while, its a post-apocalyptic. so as a player your running through this environment that has been destroyed and taken over by nuclear like plants that are not like the ones here on earth.

so after i make this torn up wall I'm going to make seem as though it has aged, and some vegetation has grown on it

L3X, thanks for the Idea I'l add it
    nice ref ceebee
  • Bulls_eye
    daslf.jpg

I added a bit more detail to it.
  • Bulls_eye
    heres the back side, I dont know if I should do a back side, or have 2 different reasons as for the damaged made to the wall,

back.jpg

heres some photoshoping of my model, before i make textures for it to get an idea of what it will look like I'm going to make it an alpha for the leafs on the moss thing growing on it so it can pop.

wall_moss.jpg
  • whats_true
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    I'm assuming someone bit the metal, cause if you were to refold that to original condition, you'd be missing a huge chunk of it. Medal folds out unless it were really rusted up enough to break off, and yours look pretty new.