Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sniper Rifle for Cinder Mod

I am currently working on a full scale conversion mod using the Unreal 3 engine at the Art Institute of Pittsburgh. The title of the game is Cinder. We are currently working on putting together an art package to post here on Polycount.

I just finished the first run at modelling the sniper rifle for the game, known as "Juanita". The concept was drawn by a student who has since graduated, so even though its appreciated, I'm not really looking for any advice around the concept. The concept is only being posted to show what I modelled off of. Any comments or criticism on the actual model will be greatly appreciated. I still need to add detail to the magazine. And the bipod will probably be taken off altogether.

Also, this is my first attempt at modelling a weapon.

Have at it = )

concept
juanita_side.png

side
juanita-side-wires.jpg

perspective
juanita-perspective-wires.jpg

first person
juanita-fp-wires.jpg

render
juanita_testrender4.jpg

thanks everyone
a%3E
IMG%5D
IMG%5D

Replies

• Hellspawn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow this looks great! I would love to shake your hand someday...maybe when we go on break! Can't wait to here what people say about it.
  • P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    i'm not getting a "sniper rifle" vibe. It seems it would be more appropriate as an assault rifle to me. Make the barrel longer. Also, the clip being behind the trigger is so awkward. Imagine how you would reload that weapon. You'd have to put the gun in your left hand and turn it upside down or have to reach under your trigger arm. Maybe if it was a laser rifle that would work, but not with bullets.
  • downarmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    downarmy polycounter lvl 7
    too many edge that contribute to nothing just get rid of them!
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    Your model itself seems ok, but my main issue is the design. Right now it's very blocky, with a lot of sharp corners and shapes everywhere. It's especially apparent in the first person view. Sci-fi guns are usually sleeker, with a lot more curves and sections with finer, more techy details.

It also needs more small detail and such, but it seems like this is a wip still so I'm guessing that is soon to come.

Edit: P442, it's a bullpup design, and it's pretty common. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bullpup
  • P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    Hmm, bullpups. Strange, I can't remember ever seeing one before, but I stand corrected.
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer - I agree that it does seem very blocky at the moment. This is mostly due to the concept art for the factions you can play as in our game. The more high tech side has very smooth weapons with lots of curves. The faction that uses this weapon has more of a blocky feel to their guns. Even so, I completely agree that it could be smoothed out to an extent. As this was my first run at putting together a full high poly weapon, I was trying to get the basic weapon completed first. I'll go back and smooth it out and add in a lot of details and techy stuff. Your tutorial will be great to refer to.

downarmy - i'll go back through and optimize it when i add in the extra details

thanks for the advice guys, its really appreciated
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    Extend the visible portion of the barrel some to get it to read as a sniper rifle. If you extend the barrels about 2-3 inches (maybe give it a muzzle break like a M82 or something similar to keep it interesting) and bring the foregrip back about 3 "grip notches" it should read better.

Post some pictures of the high poly without wireframes, the wireframes are really not needed for demoing a high poly mesh.

Don't optimize your high poly mesh that is retarded.

I'm of course assuming this is a high poly mesh because you're using smoothing and subD modeling, although your post above makes it sound like you are thinking this is a game mesh?
  • dolemite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeh longer barrel would make it look more like a sniper rifle.