Home General Discussion

Post apoc survival show on Discovery

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
Just watched the first 2 episodes last night and I enjoyed it, I was a bit put off with how people behaved in the beginning and the nagging feeling that "reality" shows are seldom that but overall it's entertaining.

I kind of wish they would drop the "this is an educational experiment" there's no evidence that leather clad biker gangs form after a disaster. They should just do the show because it's a cool idea (and introduce roving bands of mutants)

I did learn you can bake wood to create fuel, how cool is that!? (apparently people did this during WW2 when gasoline supplies where short)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Hv4ADUr-0E[/ame]

I also like the style of the commercials
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZFAHRkcI5c[/ame]

Replies

• Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Looks awesome. Seems like an epic Fallout larp session. Count me in :P

EDIT: Here's Episode 1 http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/the-colony-arrival-and-survival-full-episode.html
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the links guys. Well maybe I should watch it first... =P
  • Sandbag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sandbag polycounter lvl 18
    I like the idea of more post apocalyptic content making it to tv but it'd be pretty hard to capture the spirit of that kind of survival without the threat of actual death and a really incredible sized plot of land with actual city and rural areas to scavenge. People can be pretty damn ugly when it comes to actual life or death situations and I'd have a hard time believing it'd be a very 'real' representation if they knew in the end it was just a tv show (and that their actions would be taped and aired for all to judge).

I'm holding out hope that they secretly have a second band of 'survivors' at the opposite end of the turf that no one else knows about so we can see some gang wars. That'd be an interesting shock to the current team.
  • Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    They have the first episode up on Discovery channel...I couldn't get it to work in Firefox but is working on IE.

http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/the-colony-arrival-and-survival-full-episode.html
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    I'd suggest "Life After People" if you see it on.

It basically looks at what would happen to the world if all human suddenly disappeared, such as how nature would take over, how long structures would remain etc.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Life After People was pretty cool. I thought their take on cats that never touch the ground was pretty cool.

So I watched the first episode. I liked it but it does seem pretty staged. A tiny bit like Walking Dead but without the tension, humor, or zombies...

- They seem to jump into character pretty quick.
    - They seem to get dirty and disheveled kind of quick too, especially the second group that shows up. All except the bigger guy who dresses impeccably well. Probably a source of contention for future episodes.
    - I was a little surprised no one tried to encouraged Mr improvised sock guy to stop waste precious resources like duct tape on trivial things like make shift socks.
    - Wow 20 batteries, and all the brand new hardware to daisy chain em... they should have had to scavenge for the connections...
    - The "I've done hard time" guy seems to be a mole. He shows up and asks "have you found any food yet, what about supplies?" Almost like he was the guy planting the stuff around.
    - The drain pipe looked pretty new, it looks like a price sticker is still on the section they point at. Planted? Humm think so.
    - They'll never make deadly defenses or really bunker down because they know its a show.

Drama aside its a pretty cool experiment.

I wonder if they'll ever consider the camera crew as a possible food source...
  • Havok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Havok polycounter lvl 14
    !!!RANT ALERT!!!

I've seen both episodes and it is great so far but all I have to say is that that Mike guy really needs to be put in his place. The way he acts really annoys the fuck out of me. In the second episode when they are making the fuel from wood (very cool) the Mike guy comes out and says "Don't light this, it's a bomb. This is deadly." Then when they finally shoo him away he goes on to say "I'm gonna let them fail. I'm not gonna save them." Now although it didn't work, it wasn't a bomb either.

At this same time, Mike and another guy were building a generator from an engine (from power washer) and a pulley system. Now this guy acts like he knows everything but guess who's project was successfully finished first? That's right, the fuel project.

Another thing that really pissed me off was when he said "Oh, they have PhD's and artsy fartsy degrees but does that make them better at surviving in a situation like this?" Well without them, who would have made fuel out of FUCKING WOOD for you to run the generator to charge the batteries? They also did a bunch of other shit he never would have figured out on his own. Also whenever the bikers come to the door and do whatever, he won't go outside or do anything, but once they leave, he's the toughest motherfucker that ever lived.

Anyone who has watched both episodes, what do you think about this guy? I know it's fake but I feel there is never ANY reason to act like this guy. He just makes it harder for everyone else.

Alright, I'm done :).
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    Havok -- reality tv shows have hordes of psychologists who search for people with just the specific type of personalities to conflict with the other members of the show and cause drama. It's so artificial that it's got no bearing in reality. hahaha try to delete it. it's practically meaningless.

I hate reality tv, but this actually looks awesome. educated people working together in creative ways? that might actually have some substance behind it! it's a far cry from watching some spoiled cunt wine about her bloody vagina.
  • Havok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Havok polycounter lvl 14
    Yea, I know it's artificial but it makes the show a lot more fun to discuss it as if it were real :). And I agree about the vagina comment :D. The apocalyptic setting for this really makes it more enjoyable and worthwhile than the average "Put BLANK and BLANK on an island and see what happens" scenario. It also seems like the guys whine more about their vaginas than the girls.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    it's a far cry from watching some spoiled cunt wine about her bloody vagina.

This.....this is a quote right here.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Our 3d skillz won't get us for in the new world... :/
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Most 3D artist build post apocalyptic structures all day long. They're the master architectures of the new world. True that gravity might be bit of hurdle. But after the first 2-3 structural failures I bet most 3D artists would be able to devise some pretty stylish fortifications.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    ebagg wrote: »
    Our 3d skillz won't get us for in the new world... :/
    but our many hours of experience in survival simulators will serve us well. might go put a few more hours in, supermutants need their faces cut off with my electrosword
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Vig wrote: »
    Most 3D artist build post apocalyptic structures all day long. They're the master architectures of the new world. True that gravity might be bit of hurdle. But after the first 2-3 structural failures I bet most 3D artists would be able to devise some pretty stylish fortifications.

Hahaha right. And our FPS skillz will make us elite soldiers.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually scratch that, I think most might die a quick death. Or at least be caught outside trying to spray paint AO or touch up weld marks.
  • Jay Evans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jay Evans polycounter lvl 18
    Just wanted to add my constructive feedback.

This show blows...