Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Environment - Boiler Room

Hey guys, just thought I'd post my latest project here. I've always been a bit of a lurker :)

First off all the shaders in this project were made with Shader FX so I just want to thank Lumonix for making this software free for individuals like me. It's a fantastic piece of software, and I would have never been able to create this project with out it. It's extremely powerful for someone like myself who doesn't code, but is somewhat technical. So big props to them.

Now for some screen grabs from the max view port:

daycamera01.jpg
daycamera02.jpg
nightcamera03.jpg
nightcamera04.jpg
nightcamera05.jpg
nightcamera06.jpg

You can check out a video, some bigger screen grabs and some shader layouts here:

http://testroete.com/index.php?location=boiler

Any suggestions are welcome :)

and lastly! I'm looking for work, I live in Vancouver, but relocating isn't a problem ;)

Replies

• MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    this looks really good, nice fine detail, no crits from me
    how are you doing that realtime walk through in 3dsmax?
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Wow nice screengrabs, Shader Fx is more powerful than I thought.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    so more detail ideas i had while looking at your scene: wooden stage for work area, or maybe cement, metal blockades to protect shit from vehicles, light above work area, hanging from ceiling or from the wall, metal shelf filled with plastic crates, paint buckets, etc. sink, water pipes, drainage pipes, crappy old security camera, roof access ladder, flip switches, light switches, large electrical outlets, large power tool, like a drill press, large fans, low vents on the walls, drains and grates...
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    it's odd that the yellow painted lines on the cement floor show through the dust and dirt buildup. the cement ground is so brown i thought it was a dirt floor until a second glance.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    This looks great, man.
  • dutch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF wrote: »
    this looks really good, nice fine detail, no crits from me
    how are you doing that realtime walk through in 3dsmax?

I used FRAPs. It's aimed more toward gamers, but it works fine for capturing the 3dsmax frame buffer.

kaburan wrote: »
    Wow nice screengrabs, Shader Fx is more powerful than I thought.

Yeah its actually really awesome. There is a big of a learning curve and it can take a while to figure out how to do something, but once you get it, its really rewarding.
    so more detail ideas i had while looking at your scene: wooden stage for work area, or maybe cement, metal blockades to protect shit from vehicles, light above work area, hanging from ceiling or from the wall, metal shelf filled with plastic crates, paint buckets, etc. sink, water pipes, drainage pipes, crappy old security camera, roof access ladder, flip switches, light switches, large electrical outlets, large power tool, like a drill press, large fans, low vents on the walls, drains and grates...

wow those are great suggestions, i think ill save that list for the next go around :D I wish I had posted it here before I called it "finished".
  • nfrrtycmplx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nfrrtycmplx polycounter lvl 18
    Looks good... I only have a few things to add...

1. Hard texture transitions between the wall/ground are standard among game environments... but one of the more offputting things I see. Some sort of trim to celebrate the edge at the floor... or something to soften the transition?

2. Same for where door meets wall and window meets wall. Just kinda stops/goes. Put a clearly visible frame around it of some kind?

3. everything seems too bumpy. Surfaces could use more contrast between the rough/smooth surfaces.

4. The crack in the wall/brick is like a bulls-eye. I can't stop looking at it.. and it's very clearly repeated.

5. The bottom right hand corner of the last image... the floor texture... it confuses me. I don't know what it is supposed to be... is it broken floor? why is the floor so broken up? especially on the bits where large trucks and things can't really get to?

Other than that, I dig it.

Cheers
  • nfrrtycmplx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nfrrtycmplx polycounter lvl 18
    and more signage would be nice...
  • cman2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cman2k polycounter lvl 17
    pretty mindblowing that this is all in the max viewport.....nicely done.
  • urgaffel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    urgaffel polycounter lvl 17
    Really nice work Dutch, good suggestions too. Long time no see :)

Had a look at your site, amazing photograhpy. The "This is Japan" video is spectacular. Slightly jealous now...
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    Top notch work, this shaderfx stuff looks amazing.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    sexy

whats with making the teapot?
  • r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r4ptur3 polycounter lvl 10
    most impressive!

inspired me to dig up shaderFX again!
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Dutch, are you calling this done? All the advice given would really bring this piece from a 7-8-out-of-10 to a 10-out-of-10. One thing I learned long ago, was just because you've called it finished, doesn't make it so ;)
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think that this is looking really impressive so far especially as it's real time in max. I would take on board everyone's advice though, it would really give it that final level of polish :)
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    good job dude, id like to see more time spent on the floor, its an oft neglected element in alot of envs, in this case on top of some other posts i would replce the rubble rubbish( doesnt read well cant tell what it is) at the edges with maybe something modelled propperly
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    I agree with Shepeiro, the contrast between the wall and the ground is so striking, you should blend some more in the corners so you have a nice transition. If you're using tileables, you could use some alpha blending to smooth those transitions.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Great scene, and some good advice in here. I'd love to see more of that pipework, it has by far the most character in your scene. I was tempted to say to tone down the green on it, but i think if you threw it around the rest of the area it would harmonize itself. You should also rotate the handles a bit so they're not all in the same position. Also consider rotating some of the pipes with handles around the z axis ever so slightly so they're not all perfect 90% angles, should help add some more character to it.

Aside from that i think your scene could use one more prop. Not sure what it is, but just something that wasn't a pipe, or a barrel, you know what I mean? Something that makes it unique and memorable.
  • dutch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the advice guys, ill see what i can do :)