Home General Discussion

Tim Langdell and Edge Games still at it

http://tigsource.com/articles/2009/07/15/tim-langdell-and-edge-games-still-at-it
http://www.tigsource.com/pages/edge-games

Read those articles. This guy pisses me right the fuck off.

An example of what he does:

3724300173_2680b2c023.jpg
Mirrors, a game by edge!

Replies

• Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Yeah ive been following this.

Dudes a douche
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 18
    This is the first I've heard of this guy, so maybe I'm jumping to conclusions, but wow! What an uncommonly douchey bag of douche.

He ought to be held in contempt for repeated frivolous suits. Or maybe smacked around by The Edge from U2 or something. Whatever they do with people who try to piss on stuff by trying to own words.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    He's also on the board of directors of the IGDA.

Yes, exactly. This parasite on the industry is in the igda.

edit:
    haha, check this: http://adamatomic.com/edge/
    Part of this competition: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=6807.0
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    Can't believe he completely ripped EDGE magazine's font and style, I've got a 1998 issue right next to me now. Surely he'd have to prove that he copyrighted the logo before the first issue of the magazine was published, back in `93 I think. He's going to create lots of resentment and hate towards himself if he keeps it up.
  • FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FAT_CAP polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah I had heard of this guy from TheChaosEngine.com forums where people had a similar response.

The smugness of the guy's grin just sums up the whole thing to me.
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    haha mirrors by edge. Win!
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    This is the internet... what to expect!

I found people using my work as own ¬¬
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    Can't believe he completely ripped EDGE magazine's font and style.
    This is the first thing I thought :P
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    What an arse that man is. I imagine he has no friends at all.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    the removal petition <-- you have to be an IGDA member
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, got a message about the petition earlier. His actions are completely unaligned with the core values of the IGDA. Total deutschbag.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    I freakin can't stand parasites like this man.

There's a facebook group about it now too. :P http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/group.php?gid=100713289870&ref=mf

Hopefully this guy gets what's coming to him!
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer wrote: »
    This is the internet... what to expect!

I found people using my work as own ¬¬
    No, it's not.
    This is the real world.
  • ericdigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ericdigital polycounter lvl 13
    I hate this fucking guy. How he ever manged to be part of IGDA board is beyond me.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    the removal petition <-- you have to be an IGDA member

Signed!
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    MightyPea wrote: »
    He's also on the board of directors of the IGDA.

Yes, exactly. This parasite on the industry is in the igda.

edit:
    haha, check this: http://adamatomic.com/edge/
    Part of this competition: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=6807.0

haha, have not heard from Adamatomic since i hung out on CGtalk back in the day, glad to see his humours still the same, and hes still pushing the sprites
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    That adamatomic game is genius :)
  • Zack Fowler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Fowler polycounter lvl 11
    After doing a little digging around, apparently there are some old, old horror stories floating around the internets. Interestingly, a few are not about Edge Games the trademark troll, but Edge Games the indie game publisher who refuses to pay developers. Apparently the only person who ever has anything nice to say about the guy is his wife, who considerably sweetened up the Wikipedia page about him.

I suspect that over the years Tim has spent far more money on legal action than he has ever legitimately earned by the sweat of his brow.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZackF wrote: »
    Apparently the only person who ever has anything nice to say about the guy is his wife, who considerably sweetened up the Wikipedia page about him.
    I think its a disservice to wives everywhere when he calls that grotesquely mistreated inflatable doll on wires, a wife.
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Aw, don't insult the wife. I am sure SHE is a good enough person.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    MightyPea wrote: »
    No, it's not.
    This is the real world.

I thought the internet was a part of the real world XDDD
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    THAT MORON IS GOING DOWN.

=]
  • kwakkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kwakkie polycounter lvl 12
    It's really sad that an independent studio apparently isnt 'REALLY' supported by the IGDA after all... check this tweet from mobigame:

"...It was EDGE LITE. Hope you liked it because it's gone! Thanks to every player. So bad there is no association to help us...who said IGDA?"

If you cant even depend on the organisation that has a specific task/goal/purpose to help you, whats the point? :susp:
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    what does the IGDA do anyway?
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18

IGDA is important. thats what they do. being important. :P
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    I think that they get to wear fancy hats on fridays.
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack polycounter lvl 10
    Ive been to a hand full of IGDA meetings and there all crap. Here ill break it down for you....

You will show up, and exspect to see respectable individuals that will be full of usefull information and would like to connect with like minded people....This is not what you will find. On the contrary, you will find old men, and the occassional woman (this is more rare than a unicorn) standing around chatting amongst themselfs. They have little to no interest in meeting new people. Its like a exclusive social club for them. Once you actually DO break through there barrier of cold shoulders, you will find, they are washed up dinosaurs of the games industry. Most are so far removed from todays actual production that its lunacy. On the other side of the room, you will find the always shy group of students. They are always friendly and open to talk, but like the old people, dont really bring any birth of new knowledge to your ears....So you walk away, most the time drunk....because of a lack of anything else to do. Next day you sit and realize, that was a complete waist of time and never return.

So the cycle goes.....dinos hang about, the students stroke there egos, and the actual talented people walk away. THUS the IGDA continues is cycle of bullshiting people into giving them money.

This all from my perspective ofcource... quite a few igda's in a few diff citys around california, and in canada. Perhapse there is a good one somewhere??
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nizza_waaarg polycounter lvl 15
    man this shit is fuggin infuriating (i'm infuriated >:{)

how come he hasn't been sued or threatened or had legal action taken against him by these much larger companies he's fucking with (ea, sony, etc), while he goes around ruining the smaller developer's for more or less what he seem's to be doing to them (mirror's edge, edge magazine, etc).

seem's kinda fucked up if i've read it right (umm, give me a couple more minutes...)

and that edgecrement game was dope :)
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    For those that don't know, the IDGA has sent out a survey asking for member feedback on Langdell.

If 10% of the members call for a meeting to remove him from the board, then they will, but getting 10% won't be easy because IDGA members are lazy and never vote. If you're an IDGA member look for their email, or check the site.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    voted yesterday
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13

Collect dues.

Isn't that the sole reason for most professional organizations?
  • Kovac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kovac polycounter lvl 18
    Voted for sure... this guy's an idiot.

IGDA meetings here are usually my excuse to go down to madison and party with some human head folk when I get the chance every few meets... Raven people don't show often if ever, but I know they hosted the last night at their offices. I definitely wanted to head down for that one but work got in the way so hopefully some more of you Raven guys start attending.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Read the "IGDA email" today it was a funny laundry list against the guy. I fired off an email a few weeks ago when this first came to light. I don't expect much to change, not like IGDA does much anyway other then send me a new plastic card every few months, that I ignore...
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    For those that don't know, the IDGA has sent out a survey asking for member feedback on Langdell.

If 10% of the members call for a meeting to remove him from the board, then they will, but getting 10% won't be easy because IDGA members are lazy and never vote. If you're an IDGA member look for their email, or check the site.

yeah i got that message... then i got a message from the IGDA again saying that it was a hack and that no one from the board sent that e-mail out... they're apparently trying to track down the "culprit"
  • greuh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    greuh polycounter lvl 17
    Firebert wrote: »
    they're apparently trying to track down the "culprit"

instead of addressing the real issues and obviously dealing with the reason that 'spoof' email was sent in the first place.

This whole thing is a masquerade and once again the IGDA shows itself for what it is: a circus.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You know, Im sorry but this IGDA bashing in general has got to stop. YOUR IGDA is what you make it. Have any of you ever offered to give a talk or offered your services for your local board? Or have you gone, not liked what you have seen? Then complained about it versus trying to do something (yes, yes I did go there).

Locally, our last chapter leader tried to have meetings every month. It was hell for her but she did her best, and we did get to see a variety of topics from game design to programming. Even one on art shaders in a great moon.

The new ones... well. I have their email if you want to send a suggestion for something coming up or a service you can offer.

I realize Landell is an @$$ and most likely I have to admit I was one of those that voted for him since the type of things that have come out about him since then would not have been on a writeup. I saw a indie developer which I could relate with. Versus some PR , VP, CEO types vying for positions.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Curious: How many people within the industry attend local IGDA meetings?
  • Quokimbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam wrote: »

The last meeting the IDGA held at The Guildhall SMU I attended, of course I am not in industry. It was free, and two people from Gearbox were there answering questions and giving insight. No information was given to me that was new, (Polycount gave me all of that :) ) but I got to introduce myself to two people who work for Gearbox!

Also, I try to attend everything I can in the area...

Hooray for Networking!
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    :) I had a point to asking that question.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod

I have yet to attend one :\
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    According to the IGDA London UK website, they have had a grand total of 3 local events since 2007.
    What's it for, again?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    None. Like the local chapters current site, my level of involvement has been "coming soon..." For 2-3 years now...
    I totally understand its run on a volunteer basis but 2-3 years to train wreck a functional site, sounds like a crack team.

If work wasn't paying for the membership dues my commitment would be far less.

I would probably do more with IGDA if it was the IGDA Seattle Sputnik from a few years back.
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    I met Tim at GDC this year. Funny to see all this crap rolling around afterward. I signed up for IGD
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vig wrote: »
    None. Like the local chapters current site, my level of involvement has been "coming soon..." For 2-3 years now...

If work wasn't paying for the membership dues it would be far less.

I would probably do more with IGDA if it was the IGDA Seattle Sputnik from a few years back.

The week before they did have a small meeting after an event downtown that was announced through email. Now, it was announced the day before, and it was at a very bad time and downtown Seattle. I did not attend myself. However, if none of you give your suggestions. Its like a blank slate with them having no guidance of what the local community wants.

We also have a forum, though I would insist you attempt to contact the leaders individually.

:::

Mop, have you ever contacted them about offering to give a speech? You have some great info that could be shared.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea I got the email, it was in a bad spot, at a bad time and it was the first meeting in a long time. Hopefully they don't need me to tell them they couldn't plan their way out of a wet paper bag...
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    Our local IGDA doesn't do much they announce their meet ups, a couple hours before they have them and when notified of larger events in the area they don't even cover them, I've been trying to open a dialogue about getting Dallas some exposure but nobody's interested here at our local IGDA had about 15 posts since last August.

They never covered Industry Giants 2009, Massive Black, nor Diverge Workshops. Although they were notified.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    I've been to a couple here in Boston. It has a pretty good turnout and good times are had. The PostMortem actually predates the IGDA, which probably explains the difference.
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    Dekard wrote: »
    Our local IGDA doesn't do much they announce their meet ups, a couple hours before they have them and when notified of larger events in the area they don't even cover them, I've been trying to open a dialogue about getting Dallas some exposure but nobody's interested here at our local IGDA had about 15 posts since last August.

They never covered Industry Giants 2009, Massive Black, nor Diverge Workshops. Although they were notified.

This is something that bothers me quite a bit. I'm all for industry associations,
    and I genuinely believe the IDGA has game dev's best interests in mind but I'm concerned with how the IDGA could remain ignorant of the art workshops/culture that are feeding the industry. It's just bizarre. Likewise, any mention of Dominance War and Unearthly Challenge to them seems to just vanish into the void. Maybe that'll change in the future though.
  • AnimeAngel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Nothing of consequence, polycount does more for the game community then IGDA does
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    Tim Langdell (Mr. 'EDGE') just resigned from IGDA Board of Directors

http://www.igda.org/newsroom/Tim%20Resigns.pdf