Home General Discussion

Valve considering user funded game development

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
Now here's an interesting little tidbit that popped up on the Australian video game program "Good Game" tonight.
“One of the areas that I am super interested in right now is how we can do financing from the community. So right now, what typically happens is you have this budget - it needs to be huge, it has to be $10m - $30m, and it has to be all available at the beginning of the project. There’s a huge amount of risk associated with those dollars and decisions have to be incredibly conservative.

What I think would be much better would be if the community could finance the games. In other words, ‘Hey, I really like this idea you have. I’ll be an early investor in that and, as a result, at a later point I may make a return on that product, but I’ll also get a copy of that game.’

So move financing from something that occurs between a publisher and a developer… Instead have it be something where funding is coming out of community for games and game concepts they really like.”
I'm somewhat at a loss as to what this would really mean or entail but it's an interesting concept. Could it possibly work?

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2009/07/valve-predicts-fan-funded-game-development-future/#comment-32411

You can watch the interview here:
http://www.abc.net.au/tv/goodgame/video/default.htm?pres=20090720_2030&story=5
Select "Inside Valve Software" on the side bar and skip to about 4:25.

Replies

• Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    as long as they dont interfere in gameplay nor "give ideas" i think it could work...with the right team of course.
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack polycounter lvl 10
    Sweet! i agree with johny. only let people put money in, but have no say on production and ideas. Ive watched publishers butcher great ideas, i can only imagine what a community would do to a project if they got say on things.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    interesting idea, could get messy if a game got put on the backburner or ended up being canned for a multitude of reasons and all the fans who invested in it are left feeling rather frustrated by the whole system and perhaps even wanting money refunded.
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    Blender's Open Movies have been partially funded by pre-orders, with the buyers getting their name in the final credits. It's a bit more complicated there, though, because the eventual movie is released for free on the Internet and the pre-orders are donations more than sales (unless you think €30 for a 10-minute DVD is worth it). It helps, of course, that Blender's Open Movies have the improvement of the software as their main goal, so people will benefit from the project even if they don't like the end result.

When it comes to games, though, it sounds like a terrible idea to me. Considering 95% of all games are crap, I already think I'm paying too early. Result based payment over hype based payment, thank you very much. I'm sure Daikatana and Duke Nukem Forever would have ended up getting a lot of money with this concept and look at how they ended up.

If Valve actually managed to spend the hundreds of millions of dollars they earned over the years so that now they need outside financing, I wouldn't happily give them my money...
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    haha...

It smells of "we cant get a loan from institutions so lets get it from customers instead"
    Its a great way to mitigate risk when its spread so thinly..

interestingly though, I wonder what recourse a so called investor would have if the game didnt make it or if it were irretrivably shit..
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So valve sets up a special paypal-esk link?

I agree with Johny, fans already try to assert an ungodly amount of ownership over games, now imagine they actually have a stake in ownership... however Valve is pretty good at telling its community: "no you're wrong. We're going to do it a way that works and is fun for everyone, not just the vocal minority" But they do it in a way that makes it look like they took the horrible advice and made it better.

I'm not going to say it won't work, but I see it ending negatively more times then good.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    I agree with Johny as well. The TF2 community, for example, is full of smarmy fools who think they have the greatest ideas since sliced bread. If you give those people the ability to not only contribute ideas but funds as well, then they'll have an even worse misplaced sense of entitlement than before and any gaming website will be full of people bitching because Valve didn't put their shitty ideas in the game even though they paid 'em to.

I'm curious how well this could work in the real world. On the one hand, it sounds like a great way to show them what you want in a game by throwing money at a project that sounds cool. On the other, Valve is known for extremely long development cycles and those make people very uncomfortable. People would get even more uncomfortable if Valve took the money people are throwing at them and they don't produce what people were hoping or expecting for ten years.

I wonder if this is Valve trying to get away from standard investment procedures to get funding for something really crazy that normal investors wouldn't touch.
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    The first thing that comes to mind is, what happens if the game never comes out? I assume people don't get their money back. Doesn't that leave the system open to being cheated? A bunch of artists such as ourselves could probably put together a slick looking pitch that would appeal to brainless fanboys in about a week. Then we go raise as much money as we possibly can and sadly announce a year from now that we cannot continue to work on the game :(

Like Gabe says, the devs need the money up front. . . so, I'm not sure how they would keep the devs honest. Solve that issue and I think it's a great idea - sort of like placing a bet on unnanounced games.
  • jerry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, i have this awesome idea! I'm gonna post it on the internet and then all these guys will give me money, great.

One year later: Oh never mind, EA made it already because they thought the idea was great aswell -_-"
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Well then you have lots of money and don't have to do any work. It's win-win.
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually, I just watched the video and I think this is what he's talking about:

There would be a website where you could go an check out games in development. Each game would have a page with standard info like how far along it is, screenshots, info about the devs, etc. People would invest in it continuously. So, if the people are untrustworthy (like a low Ebay rating), and the game is brand new (0% done), then you probably won't invest in it.

As a developer, it's a good reason to make your development public and to try and win support from the community - they will give you money up front. It would be a nice way of getting feedback on how you are doing.

Early investors get a bigger potential return, fakers get a big black mark and are never supported again. Sounds awesome.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    This seems like a great thing to say to get your fans stoked and a terrible thing to build a business on.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    I think it could work for valve. not many other companies.
  • jerry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jackablade wrote: »
    Well then you have lots of money and don't have to do any work. It's win-win.

:)

Maybe something like what doc_rob says could work, but the problem i tried to make clear would still exist if you post your game up there at 0% done. Because that basically means you are pitching your game concept on the web, and that is just plain stupid.

When the game you invested in get's canned, that would be a pretty big bummer aswell.

The best example of a structure like this is Sellaband. Basically, you browse bands in a genre you like, find a band, listen to their demo or previous albums and then buy one or more shares in the band and when all the shares (parts) are sold they can make a new album. The thing is, the budget is lower, they only pitch with what they already made and you know they will deliver because the organisation of the site helps them.

Maye the game idea could work if the last two guarantees Sellaband makes are delivered. But i think they are not easily converted to the game idea.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    It's incredible ^^, they don't have enough with the games they sell?

I don't see any logic here...
  • IchII3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IchII3D polycounter lvl 12
    Hmmm, such a bizzare idea. But at the same time not completely stupid, I can't see it working on a game that has an insanely long development cycle, but imagen something like Battlefeild Hero's been developed in that way?

I think its better to look at the whole thing not as a gamer, but a small time investor. It could be very lucrative on small but original games.
  • LlamaJuice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LlamaJuice polycounter lvl 11
    Definitely an interesting concept and it seems like it'd be more useful for smaller companies than giants like Valve.... but it'd be hard for a new starting company to get recognition and get a decent "rating" without actually producing anything yet.

Plus... with the way the economy is now I dunno that a system like this could be used in the near future.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    it's just another ploy for Valve to get your money, they setup the site, you put your game down and they take a percentage of the money given and they don't have to do anything in the process. :)
  • Zack Fowler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Fowler polycounter lvl 11
    This just sounds like a really, really bad idea to me. Like Swizzle was saying, your typical gamer already has an overdeveloped sense of entitlement. How much would that get amplified when someone has actually invested a bit of cash into it? I could only see this semi-working for very small developers like The Behemoth, and even then it sounds problematic.
  • kat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kat polycounter lvl 17
    So they reckon on the community raising $10 million++++ dollars?

How about Valve cutting their cost to the bone by working from garden sheds, we have a greenhouse but we could rent that out if they wanted it; would certainly be cheaper than paying out millions renting those big expensive offices they're in. That seems like a much more reasonable way to save money and reduce production overheads to me.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixar0.jpg
    I hear they already are... oh wait that was Pixar, nevermind carry on.
  • mrsincredible
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc_rob wrote: »
    Actually, I just watched the video and I think this is what he's talking about:

There would be a website where you could go an check out games in development. Each game would have a page with standard info like how far along it is, screenshots, info about the devs, etc. People would invest in it continuously. So, if the people are untrustworthy (like a low Ebay rating), and the game is brand new (0% done), then you probably won't invest in it.

As a developer, it's a good reason to make your development public and to try and win support from the community - they will give you money up front. It would be a nice way of getting feedback on how you are doing.

Early investors get a bigger potential return, fakers get a big black mark and are never supported again. Sounds awesome.

Sounds like "Hot or Not" but with games and real money for voting purposes.
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, also like a democratized YCombinator - it could work if Valve can take care of the legal/business logistics, and put together what would have to be a pretty substantial website/community.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    So it's like the stock market, only in this, you might get a free game!

I'm in.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    doc_rob wrote: »
    The first thing that comes to mind is, what happens if the game never comes out? I assume people don't get their money back. Doesn't that leave the system open to being cheated? A bunch of artists such as ourselves could probably put together a slick looking pitch that would appeal to brainless fanboys in about a week. Then we go raise as much money as we possibly can and sadly announce a year from now that we cannot continue to work on the game :(

Like Gabe says, the devs need the money up front. . . so, I'm not sure how they would keep the devs honest. Solve that issue and I think it's a great idea - sort of like placing a bet on unnanounced games.

Buyer beware. This is no different than investing in the stock market. Would I invest $20 of my money in the established and successful Valve Software? Sure, that seems like a safe bet. Would I invest $20 of my money in the unproven fan-mod startup Asshat Software? I'm much less likely.

Besides that, there are laws in place to prevent those kinds of abuses. If Asshat Software is incorporated as a legitimate company, and it's fradulently selling shares in a product it has no plans to deliver, it's called fraud and they send the Asshats to Pound-Me-In-The-Ass prison for attempting it.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vig wrote: »
    So valve sets up a special paypal-esk link?

I agree with Johny, fans already try to assert an ungodly amount of ownership over games, now imagine they actually have a stake in ownership... however Valve is pretty good at telling its community: "no you're wrong. We're going to do it a way that works and is fun for everyone, not just the vocal minority" But they do it in a way that makes it look like they took the horrible advice and made it better.

I'm not going to say it won't work, but I see it ending negatively more times then good.

Like I just told Doc Rob, this is not much different than buying stock in a company. You'd be getting a non-voting share in a game, which entitles you to partcicipate in profits (and losses!) but not in controlling development. If you buy a share of Apple stock, you don't get a hotline to Steve Jobs to bitch about things; you just get the stock. I expect it would be the same in a game. Any l33t g4m3r who thinks his $20 contribution to the development of Cornhole Avenger 2 entitles him to influence how the game is made is going to get a complimentary lesson in economics along with his game investment.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    On second thought, a better way to think of it is being a bit like an investor in a film production. You're a financial contributor towards the development of an intellectual property, and you share in the profit/loss on that development, but have no stake in the studio or control over the development.
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    i can barely balance my checkbook, but wouldn't this hurt profit on titles shipped if your web based investors get a copy and a percentage of whatever profit you do actually make? wouldn't you also be killing the profits of the suppliers and ultimately limiting the sales of titles in outlets that can still make a buck on surplus items?
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Firebert wrote: »
    i can barely balance my checkbook, but wouldn't this hurt profit on titles shipped if your web based investors get a copy and a percentage of whatever profit you do actually make? wouldn't you also be killing the profits of the suppliers and ultimately limiting the sales of titles in outlets that can still make a buck on surplus items?

someone invests a minimum 35 bucks lets say. You give them a free game when it comes out, which, they already paid for. If the game is making a profit, you give them a piece. You'll still be making a profit, and they're only getting a percent of it. A tiny tiny percent. If you don't make a profit, you still basically pre-sold a game.
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    yeah, stupid ass question..... -1
    my bad
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    valve have always been good at predicting and spearheading trends so far, haven't they? sounds like something very interesting to keep an eye on
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    fuck the entitled gamer. I'm quite sure that they'll make them agree to a few bold statements that say "you're going to shut your fucking mouth, even though you gave us money"

I think it's a great idea, simply because it hasn't been thought up. it's origional and I think it's just what small time people like Mitch and I can learn from. maybe it'll be a flop, maybe not, but at the very least we'll learn something, or it might be able to be applied to something else..

imagine an indie games site, where you can post progress of your work and viewers can send a few dollars to projects that interest them. the site would index who gave what to who, to make it easy for crediting them and deciding who gets a copy of what..
  • jerry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, all great but what happens when the developer says: "I don't like this game anymore, i won't write another line of code on this thing."

If the site did not send the money through to the developer, the whole concept is lost. So if the site did give the developer the money, the investor lost it. I don't know about you but i would not risk that.
  • HausFly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HausFly polycounter lvl 17
    I really like the idea of "micro-investments." I imagine it's something the film industry has avoided due to the high overhead cost of managing thousands of smaller investments, rather than just a few big ones. It's perfect for a technology company like Valve which already has an established customer platform (Steam) that could manage investor accounts.
  • [Deleted User]
    The problem is, if the people who invested have no voice whatsoever in the production, as publishers currently do, who will ensure that the game is being made in a timely manner? What's to prevent an indefinite series of reboots and major conceptual shifts midway through a project, a la Duke Nukem Forever, if you have a large amount of funding and none of the supervision that generally comes with it?

The comparison to stocks here isn't quite valid imo - stockholders have options as far as being informed of what's going on in the company, they can complain when they don't like it, and they can sell their shares and move on if it's not fixed. With this system, you pay presumably a large amount of money to this studio, then you don't get thrown one single bone until the game either comes out or doesn't. It's so susceptible to mismanagement and outright fraud (how many times has a dev promised something, then not followed through? What if you had invested based on that promise?) that I am very very uncomfortable with it.
  • Parnell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Parnell polycounter lvl 18
    This reminds me of Kiva.org just on a much larger scale.
    B
  • OpethRockr55
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't see this doing much in a big studio such as Valve, where they've probably already got the money to back up future endeavors, but I can see this working wonders for smaller, indie devs. Look at Wolfire and Overgrowth, they've been doing something like this for what... half a year now?
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    this sounds quite similar to flashbang's plan with blurst come to think of it. They plan eventually to introduce a subscription service, with user suggestions and game ideas the primary source of the game concepts.

maybe they will completely embrace user input rather than shut out
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kaskad wrote: »
    The problem is, if the people who invested have no voice whatsoever in the production, as publishers currently do, who will ensure that the game is being made in a timely manner? What's to prevent an indefinite series of reboots and major conceptual shifts midway through a project, a la Duke Nukem Forever, if you have a large amount of funding and none of the supervision that generally comes with it?

The comparison to stocks here isn't quite valid imo - stockholders have options as far as being informed of what's going on in the company, they can complain when they don't like it, and they can sell their shares and move on if it's not fixed. With this system, you pay presumably a large amount of money to this studio, then you don't get thrown one single bone until the game either comes out or doesn't. It's so susceptible to mismanagement and outright fraud (how many times has a dev promised something, then not followed through? What if you had invested based on that promise?) that I am very very uncomfortable with it.

A large amount of money? I don't see that happening. If studios are asking fans to donate 10-20 bucks, it'll work. If it gets into hundreds of dollars, no one will bother.

Beyond that, the situation is simple. Got $20 you're willing to invest in a game idea you like? Go for it. Are you very very uncomfortable with the idea? Keep your money and buy the game if/when it hits retail.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    I'd say if anyone can do it Valve can. And I'd expect, as said before. it's "thanks for the money to help, now please shut up" type deal, and reckon Valve would be funding much of it themselves, but this extra money would help them along.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    think about it. if valve can get a couple hundred thousand people to pay 20-30 as an investment and in return get a 50$ game (+ potentially more back depending on how the game sells) I think that's pretty damn awesome. nothing said fans had to front ALL the money and if this gives them the resources to make it the best game they can make I'd say that's a sweet fuckin deal.

valve could even sweeten the deal up by giving investors other perks.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    i like the way taleworlds did mount&blade a lot better.

it started off really simple. they released an early alpha, and the players paid very little for it.
    they could give input on the forums, and at the same time they beta-tested it, and all sorts of stuff. as the game improved the price gradually increased, until it was released.
    imho, its one of the most fun games on PC right now.
    its also got a very open architecture, so its fully moddable.
    and its been interesting to see how the game developed.
    thats the way i think this should be done.

open beta the games. the players get to see that their money is going somewhere.

another way to do it is open beta with milestones.

set a $ milestone for certain features, to be implemented. and as soon as the milestone is met, those features are added.
    of course, this is a much better system for open world games. linear games will be far more troublesome.

it would also be a good way to do development tools.

he, i got this idea from reading the goblins webcomic.

the creator has something he calls "tempts fate" which is a goblin who needs to get through a set of challenges. and the more money he gets, the better tempts fate does it.
    on the last tempts fate comic, he was donated $3858 in 21 days.
  • Kevin Albers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Albers polycounter lvl 18
    It seems like a fairly terrible idea, but Valve has such a rep that they could possibly pull it off. Investing in one specific game when the game is at the very beginning stages is about as absurdly high risk an investment that someone could make.
  • TWilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TWilson polycounter lvl 18
    funny I just read the subject as "Valve considers UNDER funded game development"
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    I've pissed away 20 dollars on much worse :\
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    It depends on the required investment in the end, and what is agreed that you get with it. I can see this working, and I can see myself investing.
  • [Deleted User]
    vermilion wrote: »
    A large amount of money? I don't see that happening. If studios are asking fans to donate 10-20 bucks, it'll work. If it gets into hundreds of dollars, no one will bother.

Beyond that, the situation is simple. Got $20 you're willing to invest in a game idea you like? Go for it. Are you very very uncomfortable with the idea? Keep your money and buy the game if/when it hits retail.
    bounchfx wrote: »
    think about it. if valve can get a couple hundred thousand people to pay 20-30 as an investment and in return get a 50$ game (+ potentially more back depending on how the game sells) I think that's pretty damn awesome.
    So now you've got 2-3 hundred thousand copies of the game you're producing but not making money on... not that that's a realistic number of people who will fund something like this.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    The only reason this might work is because this is valve.

I'm also excited by the prospect of a highly motivated creative team being able to make whatever the *#&($ they want. Don't see that often enough.

I'd be willing to pay 40 bucks to valve for that, Hell i almost feel like i owe it to 'em. Sure the game might crash and burn, but if i got PAID to play an amazing game... Think about that. That's fucking cool.

Come to think about it, it almost seems like the less profitable the game was, the more I might enjoy it. I'm sick of these mass market, easy, generic games that publishers always push. Fight night 14, madden 205. Rip off of wow X.

It's a wonderful idea, but it'll probably never work. Here's hopin' though.
  • tacit math
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tacit math polycounter lvl 17
    i appreciate the idea at least of introducing community involvement earlier on in a project. i'd like to see something similar flow into application development

' hey. if you could spare a couple bucks we're thinking about adding this viewcube thing into the top right of. . . '

' fuck off. you dicks '
  • mikezoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mikezoo polycounter lvl 14
    tacit math wrote: »
    ' hey. if you could spare a couple bucks we're thinking about adding this viewcube thing into the top right of. . . '

' fuck off. you dicks '

hahahah.
    oh man, the view cube joke never gets old.