Home General Discussion

No Paycheck, what a great way to start the weekend

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Pseudo polycounter lvl 18
I checked my bank account this morning and noticed my direct deposit hadn't gone through, which had me worried and gave me that sinking feeling in my stomach.

So I come into work and it turns out that no one got paid.

FML.

So we wait around for a few hours, no one is really sure what to do, and we get the "We don't know whats going on, we are waiting for news, hang tight" email.

Then we get an email saying that there was a problem and we wont be getting our paychecks until Monday.

:(

Replies

• BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Ah, man that sucks. Does this have anything to do with that sweet Iphone game you posted? I wasn't sure if that was a personal project or done at your work.
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daaark polycounter lvl 17
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    ...careful about writing stuff like this online pseudo.....may seem hardless and venting to you....but it might come back and bite you in the ass (cough Nspace....)
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    try being a freelancer and then dare to complain:)
  • aesir
  • Mechadus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sux man - Sounds like your boss handled the situation very poorly. IMO he should have given you guys a heads up when he found out.

The same sort of thing is happening here too - In the last 6 months, 4 of my paychecks have bounced after not even getting them till the following monday. It can really be depressing. My advice - get plan B solidified. Mine is probably a BS retail job, but if it pays the bills........

-N!
  • Pseudo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pseudo polycounter lvl 18
    Brad - the game was done at work, but unrelated to whats going on

Ruz - I definitely don't envy the stress that comes with the freelance lifestyle

Mechadus - sorry to hear you are in the same boat, this is happening more and more often.

Of course there are also a lot of people in far worse situations.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    seforin wrote: »
    ...careful about writing stuff like this online pseudo.....may seem hardless and venting to you....but it might come back and bite you in the ass (cough Nspace....)

LOTS of people read polycount but never post... Keep that in mind. A pay delay is not fun but its best to remind yourself that your still getting paid. Its best not to complain about little things like that, you might find your complaints being echoed from your bosses mouth.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    I.E. Someone jerkoff might Nark, or your boss has too much freetime on his hands to read art forums.
  • I_luv_Pixels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I_luv_Pixels polycounter lvl 17
    My pay was delayed right before i was laid off.....:( Don't want to scare you or anything but that's just my personal experience.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    sry to hear that Pseudo, here's hoping things get better. i'd see something like that as a red flag, it'd be wise to have a backup plan. i'd also second what's been said, on how you don't want to post stuff like this publicly.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    i wouldn't panic until it doesn't show up on monday. then you'll have cause to start a ruckus.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    just kidding bTw . hope things get sorted out for you
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's perfectly reasonable to be upset about late pay. Bills have to be paid.

What is this nspace stuff people are referring to?
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary wrote: »
    I.E. Someone jerkoff might Nark, or your boss has too much freetime on his hands to read art forums.

I had this situation happen to me with n-space a LONG time ago...so just FYI people read and it travels small industry

Might I suggest a face book update of stuff like this so only close friends can read this and not just anyone?

(But either way shitty situation, get the boxing gloves on)
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    seforin wrote: »
    Might I suggest a face book update

quote of the day
  • foreverendering
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    foreverendering polycounter lvl 12
    Might I suggest no update :P
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Might I suggest no update :P

or that to *Rolls eyes*
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LOL @ Facebook.

It's starting to come up now that people who apply for jobs are expected to list their names and passwords for facebook, and any online forums they belong to*. *Note that I said STARTING, and didn't say it was common place. This is just a PSA for the reading comprehension challenged.

Also, the amount of people who get canned over facebook posts is on the rise. Also, there is always this. hehehe
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daaark wrote: »
    LOL @ Facebook.

It's starting to come up now that people who apply for jobs are expected to list their names and passwords for facebook, and any online forums they belong to*. *Note that I said STARTING, and didn't say it was common place. This is just a PSA for the reading comprehension challenged.

Also, the amount of people who get canned over facebook posts is on the rise. Also, there is always this. hehehe

wow its getting to the point of checking face book crap, I thought that was all private unless you added them in yourself

Woop Psuedo :fuck it man dont post jack
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daaark wrote: »
    LOL @ Facebook.

Is that just in Canada? I would think in America, that would interfere with privacy laws. And dont give "if you don't they just wont hire you even if they say its not required". From what I understand, It would be illegal to even bring that up (if again illegal) such intrusive questions during a interview as it is.
  • NyneDown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NyneDown polycounter lvl 11
    Sucks to hear man. But airing out the dirty laundry probably isnt a good idea. It's pretty crap-tasticle that "the man" can get away with this, but venting about it here isnt going to really make anything better. Hope you get your cheese though ;)
  • Zoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zoid polycounter lvl 14
    facebook would be worse, this is specialized area off the path im sure.

no one got paid? i actually think this might be a misdemeanor though dont quote me
    had you walked in late to a meeting youd hear about it and certainly for not giving the heads up...

the tough sh** rule #1 "its always managements fault"

the credit market (commercial paper) isnt frozen atm, that was almost a year ago
    pay roll knew there was nothing, unacceptable. no warning means bills came unprepared to someones account. the boss is culpable and/or ignorant, and if they are ignorant that is no leader.

if management cant figure out how to work the books, who to keep and who to let go, proposals, reckless spending, nickle pinching, wheeling and dealing...
    i know that type of business, its why the term has negative connotations, their fault, its that simple. and im not going to blame victims

no matter what; If your the boss and things screw up then its your fault, NO exceptions. no blame shifting or denial. That boss is either not qualified or a jackass.

we do FAR too much glorifying of CEOs in USA... we are way too accepting of their power-leverage and often risky behavior, and i think turning your head with a shrug is exactly the enabling they need.

Somehow we need to be thankful for the job they let us have? So nice to LET us earn the company 300%+ of what they pay us? (thats a little rule of thumb i learned from a large mortgage co. owner)

shenanigans happen and we shake our head and say "careful psuedo" ?

i hope things work out psuedo, good luck
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is that just in Canada? I would think in America, that would interfere with privacy laws. And dont give "if you don't they just wont hire you even if they say its not required". From what I understand, It would be illegal to even bring that up (if again illegal) such intrusive questions during a interview as it is.
    If you're planning to apply for a job with the city of Bozeman, Mont., be prepared to hand over much more than your references and resume. That's the latest case I've heard of it.

I heard of some company not long ago demanding a list of all online forums and social networks someone is on, with login names and passwords asked to be handed over.

That's horrible.

What next, a copy of your house key?
  • Zoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zoid polycounter lvl 14
    thats a position for the govt no? the bigger the power, the bigger the responsibility.

i find it though a bit flawed.

if info is not given thats what a good BG check is for. The check is intended to find that stuff out, or its not worth its service.
    seems outrageous they would need to take possession, even temporarily.
  • NyneDown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NyneDown polycounter lvl 11
    I think bg checks through social networking sites is a lot more common then what we might think. That's why it's pretty imperative that you conduct yourself on the internet as you would "in real life."
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NyneDown wrote: »
    I think bg checks through social networking sites is a lot more common then what we might think. That's why it's pretty imperative that you conduct yourself on the internet as you would "in real life."

No. That's why we need legislation to make privacy more apparent. I purposely act like an @sshole (well more than here believe it or not), on some forums just to get a rise out of some people. I love poking sticks at a hornets nest of far right wing fanatics.

Should that reflect how I should be treated in real life? No.

PS. The City background checks are scary. I can understand for a position like that TO A POINT. But the excuses they used were weak. Since the things they mentioned would have a criminal record attached. Thanks for the link..
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Should that reflect how I should be treated in real life? No.

I disagree. I think you should be prepared to accept the consequences of how you act, regardless of where. Believe it or not, the people you piss off on the internets are real.
  • jrs100000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jrs100000 polycounter lvl 8
    Just posting this as a notice any potential employers Googling me from the far future: You must pay me in full and on time or I will not be happy.

Guess my career is over before it even started :(
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sectaurs wrote: »
    I disagree. I think you should be prepared to accept the consequences of how you act, regardless of where. Believe it or not, the people you piss off on the internets are real.

Too bad. Thats what the internet was before social sites, and people silly enough to spew their identities all over. Let me ask, is there any non biased psychological profile data you can point to that shows a direct link between a way a online identity works versus a real person?

Why should I just not lie, and give the information to say an identity with an outstanding onlline profile? You know lots of friends, type a, agrees with political stance of powers that be.

I find it disheartening you would so readily accept this invasion of privacy. Do you want our rights as individuals eaten away?

Anyhow, this is getting far off topic from original posters headache. I suggest we start a new thread for this.

Edit: Found this right off with a quick search:
    http://www-usr.rider.edu/~suler/psycyber/showdown.html
  • PeterK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeterK greentooth
    Hey Ox, I hate to break it to you, but the internet is inside your "real life". So act like a twat at your own risk. I am not a fan of the "poke to annoy" thing. But I guess it takes all kinds.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Edit opps was supposed to be a PM. NOTHING TO SEE HERE!!! ;)
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    PeterK wrote: »
    Hey Ox, I hate to break it to you, but the internet is inside your "real life". So act like a twat at your own risk.
    Yeah, it's why I use my real first name on every forum. Kinda keeps me in check and I hate being called anything else other than Lamont or 父さん.

As for OP's concerns, I've been in that situation more than I can count. All you can do is ride it out and hope they come through.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Whatever, I'm the same on the net as I am in person. However, the difference is, in person, my words aren't etched in stone for people to look back on at their leisure. So fuck that noise
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    heh, i'm glad i got my 9000€ paycheck. should last me out the year :)
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    I hope you get tuesday and wednesday off! :P
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    Ruz wrote: »
    try being a freelancer and then dare to complain:)

haha yeah my first thought, did you ever wait for 3 or more months for your money? No? then all is fine :P
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Thegodzero wrote: »
    LOTS of people read polycount but never post... Keep that in mind. A pay delay is not fun but its best to remind yourself that your still getting paid. Its best not to complain about little things like that, you might find your complaints being echoed from your bosses mouth.

while i agree to a point, the last time it happened to me, the company was going under and nobody knew, and they didn't pay us for 3 months in a row, and then we didn't get compensation, because they were already in liquidation.

so yeah, not getting paid is a big deal, especially if no reason is given.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    yeah I hope it doesn't mean the company is out of funding. good luck
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    while i agree to a point, the last time it happened to me, the company was going under and nobody knew, and they didn't pay us for 3 months in a row, and then we didn't get compensation, because they were already in liquidation.

so yeah, not getting paid is a big deal, especially if no reason is given.

Remember a while ago about that kid who was a animator who posted on his "blog" about the state of the company etc and how he got fired over it?

(were talking a few months ago and it was posted here and was a big deal)

In retrospect this is a lump in a sea of shit, but unfortanetly that lump can hit a fan very easily if you catch my drift....

Lets just say sometimes its just best to rant to friends versus to a crowd

in another way of thinking this

You wouldnt say

"my GF/BF is cheating on me "in the middle of the streets for everyone to hear.

You more or less would tell your friends / family right?

well the internet is like the streets nowdays, You yell something obnoxious

chances are someone will remember you as "crazy guy yellings its a conspiracy" :p

((well this is my 2 cents on it, pseudo ive been were you have been before, its really horrible, and I wish for the best. But take this as your goal to get to a better job while you still HAVE a job...trust me its harder to find work when you dont have one...))
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    just keep your aliases secret, fuck em, fuck em in the asss
  • Zoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zoid polycounter lvl 14
    Neox wrote: »
    haha yeah my first thought, did you ever wait for 3 or more months for your money? No? then all is fine :P

fine my ass.
    if you are a freelancer you knew what the situation was and can compensate when things are looking tight

i doubt the OP signed a contract that stated in the section about payment, sometimes it would be randomly late without any warning
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    sef, i wasn't saying he should bitch about, or even comment on the state of his company.

my point was merely that you should ALWAYS be worried when your paycheck doesn't come through.

companies lie. fact.

look at midway?
  • Zoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zoid polycounter lvl 14
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    Neox I have waited about 2 months though.
    Sometimes its tough to get paid even if the job goes really smoothly.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it took me over 3 month till i got my money from an AMD ad job and yes it was written down when i have to get the money, apperently my contact person at the company just was away, one day after i finished the job and no one in the company could or wanted to help me, so i sent them dunnings (right word?) one after another and then just right after i sent the third dunning via my lawyer the money was just transferred, without ever contacting me or replying or anything. It sucked but i had enough money as back up, but seriously also as employee you should build up such a backup to live for at least 1 or two months (better more...) to have the time to get a new job, this has nothing to do with beeing freelance or not, its just common sense, that that shit can happen to anyone, no matter what company or position he is in.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    Neox they always say that:) I heard that they only pay the people who are pushy ie if you don't keep on at them, they will pay you last. sucks really
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz wrote: »
    Neox they always say that:) I heard that they only pay the people who are pushy ie if you don't keep on at them, they will pay you last. sucks really

yeah its the same like "oh you didn't get your money? let me check" and "ah yes, i just transfered it a minute ago"

the guy for the amd job contacted me a few months later "hi steffen, do you remember me? I have a Job offer for you"... yes i do, no thanks...
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    Got the same here yesterday...
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    from what I read and experienced the bigger the company, the more they make you wait for your pay on freelance gigs. Sucks. A lot of them just do it to get the most they can get on interest while they keep your pay in their bank account. :D Don't worry will keep it safe for you, where it does us the most good. It's win, win, mes ami