Home General Discussion

How to be successful 3d artist

Hi i'm Self learner Newcomer in 3d World
& i joined this forum because it have a great & professional & active community .
So i'm asking for advice & tips & what things that i have to look after it or avoid it .
or tutorials you find it useful & can help me .

I'm learning Maya From Digital tutors DVD tutorials
i choosed maya because it is the only software that have plenty of tutorials about game modeling & the interface is good too.

& thanks for anyone who read my post :)

Replies

• rooster
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    good luick dude it's rad to the max!
    this is my estimate of what being successful 3d artist would be

listen to per, even if he bites your nose off, its all for love
  • supermedo
    perna wrote: »
    Hi Supermedo

We have a relevant forum here : http://boards.polycount.net/forumdisplay.php?f=43

If you want answers, you should ask an actual question.
    Sorry but i though to post it in here because i didn't mean a Tech Advice ,
    like keep modeling or practicing in ,,,ETC

Well i will post there thanks

good luick dude it's rad to the max!
    this is my estimate of what being successful 3d artist would be

listen to per, even if he bites your nose off, its all for love
    :)haha , thanks man & i don't mind been bitten as long as is useful for me
  • Pope Adam
    Offline / Send Message
    Pope Adam polycounter lvl 11
    sometimes polycount will lick you... do you like being licked if it is useful?
  • killingpeople
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    you guys are pretentious assholes, i've had it up to here *points to crotch*
  • low odor
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
  • Rens
  • Valandar
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    Serious answers:

Practice everything - 2D, 3D, characters, environments, modelling, texturing, concepting, high poly, low poly, everything.

Knowing what to do is good, knowing why you do it is better.

Polycount answers:

Pay any "Veteran Polycounter" $50 and offer to blow him.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    low odor wrote: »
    bacon
    +1 :D

Honestly now, you just practice. Also practice and more practice. Did I mention practice? PRACTICE, DAMNIT. Read tutorials, buy books, look at other people's work, try to rebuild it.

I never really touched a PC until 1998 when I bought my own. Started off by modding weapons for counterstrike, reading online tutorials and using apps like milkshape3D. Over time I improved, learned new things and new applications. I landed my first artist job just one year later (contract) then my first full time position one year after that. Since then it's just been an uphill ride (albeit bumpy along the way).

If you have the drive, will and talent to do it, there's absolutely nothing to stop you but yourself. You don't need a college degree to be a game artist, you just need talent.
  • Mark Dygert
    What Vassago said +1 and he's right about the practice too. But don't do the same damn thing over and over again. Push yourself in new ways.
  • supermedo
    Practice everything - 2D, 3D, characters, environments, modelling, texturing, concepting, high poly, low poly, everything.

Knowing what to do is good, knowing why you do it is better.
    Thanks i always though as i want to be 3d Game artist i have to concentrate on low poly modeling only .
    Vassago wrote: »
    +1 :D

Honestly now, you just practice. Also practice and more practice. Did I mention practice? PRACTICE, DAMNIT. Read tutorials, buy books, look at other people's work, try to rebuild it.

I never really touched a PC until 1998 when I bought my own. Started off by modding weapons for counterstrike, reading online tutorials and using apps like milkshape3D. Over time I improved, learned new things and new applications. I landed my first artist job just one year later (contract) then my first full time position one year after that. Since then it's just been an uphill ride (albeit bumpy along the way).

If you have the drive, will and talent to do it, there's absolutely nothing to stop you but yourself. You don't need a college degree to be a game artist, you just need talent.
    Well Thanks ,
    I get to practice & practice until i master a way of modeling & make it perfect then move to the other thing
    What Vassago said +1 and he's right about the practice too. But don't do the same damn thing over and over again. Push yourself in new ways.
    Ok thanks i get

& thanks for everybody funny comments :)
    but i didn't get the lick part *shrug*
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    dedication and a certain amount of panache and flamboyance!
  • Rens
    you will get it

and dont quote if just replying on people, just use it with good reason,
    it fills up a post quickly and if its not important its anoying
  • SHEPEIRO
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    get the shit ripped out of your models and come back for more, its a bit like fight club only with more explosion
  • dejawolf
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    if you feel you can't do something, do that shit over and over till you can.
    everything is impossible until you know how to do it. then it becomes trivial.
  • Ghostscape
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    Sometimes a dude he gotta suck some dick.

Seriously though, dabble in everything, find which one you love, and home in on that. I don't enjoy animation, I have a poor sense of timing, and ergo I don't animate. I've dabbled with it and know the basics but I don't do much of it. You could be the opposite and find you like animating but aren't too keen on models.

Nobody is a superstar at everything, and nobody gets paid to be a superstar at everything. Excel in one area and understand the others.

Always make cool shit. Scrap something and rebuild it if you get stuck, if you spend too long trying to polish a turd it still won't shine and you won't really learn - the times you learn the most when you're modeling are when you make mistakes, so don't try to smooth over them.

Practice Practice Practice.
  • D4V1DC
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    SHEPEIRO wrote: »
    get the shit ripped out of your models and come back for more, its a bit like fight club only with more explosion

You just broke the first two rules!

OT:
    What everyone else has said practice but don't just try and replicate something understand it and then use what you've learned to create something original and new.
  • crazyfingers
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Honestly dude, it gets harder every year to get into this industry. Each year the technology becomes more complicated, there are more aspiring artists wanting to "live the dream" just like you, and the economy seems to tank a little more.

This creates a really terrible job situation. If you can look at all this and still press on, it's probably due to blind ignorance.

If you're going to do this, you're going to do it regardless of what's best in all reality. I did the same thing 2 years ago, good luck haha!
  • I_luv_Pixels
    Offline / Send Message
    I_luv_Pixels polycounter lvl 17
    do work....... a lot of work
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 18
    Get passionate about what you are doing and the rest will take care of itself.

Which is my way of saying that practice seen simply as practice for the sake of arriving at a destination like an industry job is pretty daunting. Practice that is approached as something you use to enjoy yourself always seems easier to me.

I got passionate about a game I liked playing, editing that game to further my enjoyment of the game with my friends, firstly through making character textures for our clan, later making modifcations to the HUD then levels for us to play in seemed like natural fun progressions to me because I was enjoying myself.

I improve more quickly when I enjoy myself, it's easier to become invested in the work if we enjoy it I think. So look toward building something you are interested in rather than something you think will look good in your portfolio because initially that is the way to progress.

Once you realize you have progressed, thats when its time to start challenging yourself with something new or focus on an area you are still unsure of and accept that 'discomfort' when trying new things leads to more growth than staying inside your comfort zone.

1st things first though, find your comfort zone.
  • Pope Adam
    Offline / Send Message
    Pope Adam polycounter lvl 11
    go go go! make art!
  • Mark Dygert
    Get passionate about what you are doing and the rest will take care of itself.

Which is my way of saying that practice seen simply as practice for the sake of arriving at a destination like an industry job is pretty daunting. Practice that is approached as something you use to enjoy yourself always seems easier to me.
    Agreed. Practice for the right reasons and it's not practice.

People start out down this road for the wrong reasons and it never really transitions to doing what you love. It turns into just another job that wears you down. Mostly because it never was something you loved in the first place.

I think PeterK said once "there is a difference between loving games and loving making them"

This industry is a constant source of new things to learn and problems to solve. I love that it offers so much growth in so many directions. That can be scary, but mostly its really rewarding if you love the journey.

I guess what I'm saying is, if this is a hobby you wouldn't mind getting paid for its a pretty sweet gig. If you're in it just to get a pay check then that's all you'll get out of it, if you're lucky.
  • supermedo
    Kevin Johnstone Thanks that was really helpful
    huh..Comfort Zone.. You remind me of Anthony Robbins in time of your life course .
    I guess what I'm saying is, if this is a hobby you wouldn't mind getting paid for its a pretty sweet gig. If you're in it just to get a pay check then that's all you'll get out of it, if you're lucky.
    that is a wonderful words you said vig
    Well i'm an MIS student going to the third year & i like 3D art & Games too
    i'm not silly person who don't know anything about game development pipeline
    i choosed to be an artist because i'm a person with active imaginenation
    I'm still visualizing the moment when i finish my first Original 3D Model .
    & i'm really having fun watching the tutorials but i have too keep myself passionate all time to progress very fast.
    Honestly dude, it gets harder every year to get into this industry. Each year the technology becomes more complicated, there are more aspiring artists wanting to "live the dream" just like you, and the economy seems to tank a little more.

This creates a really terrible job situation. If you can look at all this and still press on, it's probably due to blind ignorance.

If you're going to do this, you're going to do it regardless of what's best in all reality. I did the same thing 2 years ago, good luck haha!
    it gets more complicated not harder i think
    i know in old times all you had it to it to create a 300 polycharacter or something & texture it & it all done
    but now the artist have to model 6000 poly character & detail it in zbrush & rig it & Animate it with physix & gravity in mind .
    i think it is more fun like that + i don't think in indusrty that the arist will model & detail & animate , i think they a have to specialize in something.

If didn't get job in industry that is ok , i choosed it as hobby
    & i'm mis student, i'm gonna be banker WHO CARES ABOUT MONEY :P

Seriously Thanks to everybody for their comments
  • Flynny
    Offline / Send Message
    Flynny polycounter lvl 9
    Sheer perseverance will get you somewhere.
    It helps alot i geuss if you love the making part more than the playing.
  • katzeimsack
    Offline / Send Message
    katzeimsack polycounter lvl 17
    Do gameart after every party ;) That's how i got into the industry. After comming back from clubs around 4 am I always modeled for hours ..

What I want to say is, do art whenenver you can! in the bus, after the club, always!
    Push yourself and get as much crits as you can!