Home General Discussion

new alien species found???

Replies

• Murdoc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Murdoc polycounter lvl 11
    That is so cg its not even funny and I'm mildly offended anyone whos in the business of making 3d couldn't spot that, lol (not necessarily you, but the people I work with)

And for logics sake, why does a small town in NC have a robot witha camera searching its sewers?
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i dont know....looks pretty real to me
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    the article you linked says they confirmed it's a worm colony

cool lookin goo wad though
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yea....some people are saying its tubifex worms all clumped together...lame

and here i was hoping it was that shit from war of the worlds.

THREAD CLOSED lol
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Murdoc wrote: »
    That is so cg its not even funny and I'm mildly offended anyone whos in the business of making 3d couldn't spot that, lol (not necessarily you, but the people I work with)

And for logics sake, why does a small town in NC have a robot witha camera searching its sewers?

hahaha
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19

I'll take "Completely Clueless" for $100, Alex.
  • PixelGoat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelGoat polycounter lvl 12
    adam wrote: »
    I'll take "Completely Clueless" for $100, Alex.

Owned :P
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Jayzus, even if it's not an alient that's some nasty ass shit. I hope we don't have worm-goo sacks like that around here.

uhg *shudders*
  • CrazyMatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Everyone quick! grab you're Fire extinguishers!!

It's the BLOB!!!
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17

I think the people you work with should be slightly offended by having "a know it all" like you around :)

Other than that. Freaky ass shit. I´ll bring the flamethrower.
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    After hearing what it is, just looks a bunch of harmless little worms.
    Cool appearance, though. NS2 dynamic creep viral advertising, haha.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    looks like me in the shower....nothing special...just one ugly mothaf....
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    self ownage is always awesome.
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18

Haha... pretty much all the shows I see on Discovery or NatGeo or whatever have a little rover whenever they go inspecting in sewer pipes. They don't have to be massive people sized ones, probably not even a foot in diameter that pipe is. Doesn't take much to have an RC bot with a camera on it.
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    We didn't have this problem until Insomniac opened shop and brought their little Chimera buddies over here disguised in a cute little Ratchet & Clank package...

That bit about the sewer discharging into the public water system has me feeling all bubbly and happy inside.
    And for logics sake, why does a small town in NC have a robot with a camera searching its sewers?
    The state has been handing these out to everyone around here for like the past eight months and I have no idea why. Personally, I'm sick of it. So far I've received 12 of these ginormous robot camera fuckers. They take up so much space and get in the way! Why NC!?! Why! My precious tax dollars!
    Raleigh is too small to keep a slew of gaming companies, be the state capital, and still house a place for these sewer robots to live!
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    This is, literally, 5-10 minutes down the road from our studio. Soooo freaky. I was so hoping for some facehugger shit. Unfortunately, it's just a big colony of worms. Apparently these worms form the membrane around them, in the absence of soil. There's one larger worm that surrounds the majority of them, and when it contracts, all of the worms contract simultaneously. G-R-O-S-S.
    And for logics sake, why does a small town in NC have a robot with a camera searching its sewers?
    This was filmed by a private contractor in a private sewer system.
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    looks like something you crap out after eating a chipolte burrito.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "While Mr Buchan could not say what species of worms they are, other experts claim they are clumps of annelid worms, which normally live in soil and sediment at the bottom and edges of polluted streams."
    That's the part that freaks me out. If they're drawn to pollution, what's being dumped in that sewer that they would forgo their natural habitat (soil) and be able to thrive like that in a sewer?

Now here's the freaky part, what's in the water lines that where laid down about the same time...
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vig wrote: »
    Now here's the freaky part, what's in the water lines that where laid down about the same time...
    yeah... ummmmmm... bottled water please!
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    yeah, bottled water, if you live in Cameron Village :)
    Aside from that, it's a private water system altogether. Not like this was found in the public water systems.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    fuck that made me vomit, thanks.
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    true that Geezus. :)

my sci-fi horror movie brain says that although it is a private water system, that's only how that crap is going to start. just wait. this thing will spread like an STD before you know it and then damn aliens will start bursting through our sternums and all hell will break loose. :poly122: ahhhhh!

the fact that those are a bunch of worms is just so totally sick.
  • Frank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frank polycounter lvl 18
    That's the part that freaks me out. If they're drawn to pollution, what's being dumped in that sewer that they would forgo their natural habitat (soil) and be able to thrive like that in a sewer?
    Err...shit?

Frank the Avenger
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So what kind of heavy metals, pesticides, PCB's and industrial cleaners are you guys eating?
  • mLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like them pesticides. I'm not that worried about that stuff. The more of a germaphobe you are, the worse it is for you. Your body loses it's ability to fight off common germs and you get sick more often and for longer periods of time.
  • soulstice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    soulstice polycounter lvl 9
    That's like something straight out of a 80's horror movie.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    i cant take that video out of my mind...
  • Murdoc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert wrote: »

The state has been handing these out to everyone around here for like the past eight months and I have no idea why. !

Lol, nice.

Anyway, still looks fake to me, like student demo reel and I'll remain skeptical until I see a point of reference in one of these shots, not a self contained fake looking pipe thing.
  • Unleashed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Unleashed polycounter lvl 19
    that is how I pictured my dom war character's bits to be
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    Lol, nice.

Anyway, still looks fake to me, like student demo reel and I'll remain skeptical until I see a point of reference in one of these shots, not a self contained fake looking pipe thing.

Right, just like the moon landing. It's a bunch of worms in a sewer not a damn Xenomorph/Licker; what's so hard to believe?
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I think it's the "goo" that makes it harder to believe. If it's worms, wtf is the gooey sticky crap that it's sucking into itself? It looks like it's part of itself, that's spreading out, then it sucks it back in? =\
    Looks f'n gross, whatever it is.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Damn, that's cool. Something I never expected to see when I opened a tab for Polycount. I watched that video while eating... Murdoc had me expecting it would be really fake looking. :\

I've been watching the X-Files lately and, "a clump of worms" sounds like a typical cover lie! The truth is on youtube!

Next thing we know the town of Cameron Village will be having an "Unexpected accidental gasleak" or an "Unfortunate incident involving unsafe drinking water." To explain the strange disappearance of many towsnfolk.
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    I don't know what it is, but I like it :D Looks just like Natural Selection infestation !
  • Jack Daniels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump wrote: »
    Damn, that's cool. Something I never expected to see when I opened a tab for Polycount. I watched that video while eating... Murdoc had me expecting it would be really fake looking. :

I've been watching the X-Files lately and, "a clump of worms" sounds like a typical cover lie! The truth is on youtube!

Next thing we know the town of Cameron Village will be having an "Unexpected accidental gasleak" or an "Unfortunate incident involving unsafe drinking water." To explain the strange disappearance of many towsnfolk.

lol I to have been watching X-files lately and thought the same thing when I saw this.
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    I don't know what it is, but I like it :D Looks just like Natural Selection infestation !

= ) cant wait.
  • Murdoc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well what kind of worms are they? I'd like more facts on this so I could find supporting evidence on this, not "it's worms, they do that sometimes, it's rare, trust us"

I've never seen worms look like that, and that doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. I mean if you look closely for worms, yeah it kind of looks like that, but still having a hard time believing it. Plus the whole "construction firm sent down to inspect sewers" thing is a bit thin to me, the completely controlled environment its in and just how it looks, its like a classic vfx reel or something trying to be real.

Maybe its because I'm exposed to more cg then I am worms, but thats the first thing I thought of when I saw it, so I'd need more supporting evidence(what type of worms, has anything like this been captured on video before?) and a point of reference that isn't ina controlled environment, then I'd believe it a little more.

What can I say, I'm a skeptic. If it turns out to be a student demo reel, the kid deserves a job.
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    eeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwww
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    yea super nasty....but cool ref for anyone doing any fleshy alien style shit. te pulsation is what makes my skin crawl.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks like a big ball of living roots when they're in water.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zn9kh7MaFQQ[/ame]

I guess they stick together when they're not submerged giving it that egg sack look.
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah, someone probably just flushed their fish food. Poor tubifexies.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 18
    When I first saw this on YouTube, I didn't believe it was even a sewer. I don't know how big sewer tubes are, but I always thought they were fairly big. The way the water moves in the video, it looks like the tube must be tiny. And the distance meter on the HUD starts at 2' and goes to 4'. I thought it was a colonoscopy recording at first, then an esophagus-cam (in which the water at the bottom is actually saliva), on someone (or some animal, like a snake maybe) with some kind of nasty polyps or 'rroids. It seemed logical enough to me, because the lumps move kind of like the small semi-involuntary movements of a throat, and they look like a slightly messed up version of the veinous alienoid underside of your tongue.

Never would have guessed worms though. That's right up there with aliens to me. I always kind of assumed that if there was going to be an invasion from aliens, they would probably come from underwater not outer space.
  • rasmus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome, always one to appreciate a reason to get the flamethrowers out :)
  • Frank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frank polycounter lvl 18
    So what kind of heavy metals, pesticides, PCB's and industrial cleaners are you guys eating?
    I think your definition of 'polluted' is a little too specific. Do you really think these worms, that have been around for hundreds of millions of years, actually feed on industrial pollutants like heavy metals and pesticides? You can pollute an area with nothing but human fecal matter, you know. :p

And as everyone knows, Shit Is Nutritious!

Frank the Avenger
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hahaha very true
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Being a home owner who's sewer pipe has broken, I can vouch for the accuracy of the pipe scope. When they think you have a break in the pipe, they send down a snake (flexible metal extension that they feed down manually) with a video camera on the front end of it. They then look for what the obstructions are. Our scope looked pretty much identical to this one, minus the aliens, and the fact that ours was black and white (this was about 5 years ago).

That the cams are now in color isn't too shocking. Other than that, it looks about right. Pipe diameter is something around 8 inches or so, there is usually a little bit of water in the bottom. The pipes in this video actually look to be in pretty good shape. Ours had numerous cracks, etc., which eventually led to the breakage (and resultant $7000 fix due to having to tear up the street.)

Pretty much any roto-rooter type sewer/plumber repair places will be able to do this type os snake video cam thing to check for pipe problems.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seriously, some of you guys are all too eager to jump on a conspiracy theory.
    pipe-cams are sci-fi now?
  • Canadian Ink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Canadian Ink polycounter lvl 12
    I'm so jadedm whenever I see something like that I immediately assume that its a viral video for Pepsi or something like that ;-)
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    plumbers also will "cam" your pipes these days for an extra fee to check for blockage, etc, so they can fix it. A buddy of mine warned me about it a few months ago when i was having troubles with some plubming and said to not let them do it, as it runs a pretty hefty extra fee. I may get it done now though, but I dunno if these aliens live out here in cary.

I have been wanting to move down there though, maybe these things are making me want to with their psychic pulsating orb brains.