Home General Discussion

Braid - PC, Mac, Xbox Live - Review by ZeitgeistReview

Hey everyone, I just finished my review of Braid. Check it out and subscribe to my channel! Don't forget to leave questions and comments!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vO73iFm6E8[/ame]

Replies

• Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    great game, freakin mind bending tho haha
  • ZeitgeistReview
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh man, I'm going to have to pick that up, looks like a lot of fun, thanks for the review.
  • Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    yeah this game blew my mind! Everyone should try it out :D
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    If you're looking for critiques, it seems pretty ridiculous to review a game like this (one pretty much entirely about a unique delivery of narrative) without addressing the story at all. I guess it offers a different than normal perspective, though.
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    I wouldn't say Braid is all about story, but yeah, the lack of commentary seems pretty odd. You finished it, right? How do you get through that ending and have nothing to say?
  • ZeitgeistReview
    acc wrote: »
    I wouldn't say Braid is all about story, but yeah, the lack of commentary seems pretty odd. You finished it, right? How do you get through that ending and have nothing to say?

Haha, probably because I didn't understand the ending. Everyone keeps saying that but I still have no clue what you guys are talking about. Send me a PM and fill me in. Frankly, I just didn't get the story at all. Hence my questioned look.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    This is my favorite interpretation:

Braid is about the mistake of developing the nuclear bomb.

http://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?showtopic=190136%C2%A0
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    Those secret stars are a bit too secret! I would never have known about them if I didnt read about it online... Some of them are absurd to get, like waiting 2 hours for a very slow cloud to move across the level lol -.- And I really do not see how anyone can discover that star in the house by themselves...

These secrets remind me of some things in final fantasy 8, 9, 10 & 12, super secrets that only super super hardcore people who literally try every combination of non-related tasks to find.... there are crazy things you gotta do, some secrets are designed in a way that forces the user to save before doing it, and then reset the game if the outcome is not the desired one because you only get 1 chance. Basically something people used to do to "cheat", except its intentional :/ (only talking about FF here, not Braid)

Of course you can play the game and not know about the stars, which im sure 99% of players do including myself and see that its still a very clever and fun puzzle game :)

And on the note about story, I personally didnt have much idea on what the books were on about but then again I never was much interested in reading stories. It was definitely not the reason I wanted to "advance" to the next levels.
  • frostymoose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frostymoose polycounter lvl 17
    I didnt pick up on the atomic bomb dealy. . .

I didn't play it for the story anyways. I played it for the puzzles/challenge. Which is a good thing because I like the overall package a little less for the "story"...

Great platformer, though.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    I think the story and text are often interpreted TOO specifically. The manhattan project is used as a very specific example of the greater point of the game, but if you do not try and interpret the game as having a singular story, but more of a singular philosophical nugget surrounded by supporting anecdotes it becomes a little more clear, to me anyway.

The core idea behind braid is: All people have dreams and wishes they try and fulfill, but by taking the dreams and wishes to the level of obsession, even if they are fulfilled, only disaster can result.

The "princess" is simply a symbol for that lofty goal, "saving her" and indeed the gameplay itself is a metaphor for the process of the pursuit of that goal, often having to take obscure routes, or counter intuitive steps to get the "keys" to unlock a new route or "level" of understanding bringing you closer to that goal.
    if you happen to have NOT finished the game events from the end sequence are hidden here.
    The twist of the game is of course shown in the several end levels, where time is flowing differently, and the final stage where you must race "with" the princess away from the "big baddie" against the wave of fire to the safety of her house/castle. OF course once you reach the "end" you see that she was not running with you, but away from you, and the baddie wasn't there to harm her, but to save her. You were the "bad guy". Stalking the princess with single minded devotion and obsession, blind to any outcome of your actions other than what was held in your fantasies.

We instinctively play games the same way humans pursue obsessions. We play with single minded purpose toward a goal which at times is vaguely defined, but we know our efforts to be "good" simply because we progress through the game to greater challenges, and within the context of your average game progress is the only indicator of performance. Games are not Bad in this regard, but it is a conditioned method of approach which braid exploits to twist its point back onto the player. I remember when I first got to the end of the game my jaw dropped and I said "Oh no way."
    The development of the atomic bomb is particularly poignant as it illustrates the great destructive potential which can accompany otherwise beneficent pursuits. Atomic energy and the secrets of the structure of matter can provide great benefit to human kind. Long lasting, relatively clean power, medical advances, pacemakers, innumerable benign and helpful things have come, however indirectly, from the efforts of the Manhattan project. However, one development overshadows them all, and with it has tainted the very ideas of the words Atomic and Nuclear to forever bear the stain of great destruction and death.

Thats always been my take on it anyway.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Vailias wrote: »

Great post man, that was my take on it too, though I've never explained it quite so eloquently. I'ma have to remember your post to refer people to when they ask. Not to mention it'll save me the time of trying to explain for the hundredth time why braid is awesome, and why it's an important game to be noted from a game developement perspective.
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    hmm I feel sad that I dont enjoy certain aspects of games the same way as you 2 :( Honestly I never thought of the story like that, and the "oh no way" moment sounds like a awesome moment that is now too late for me to feel :<

*goes back to killing stuff that moves*
  • frostymoose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frostymoose polycounter lvl 17
    the princess explodes in world 1-1 if you get all 8 stars
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18

We instinctively play games the same way humans pursue obsessions. We play with single minded purpose toward a goal which at times is vaguely defined, but we know our efforts to be "good" simply because we progress through the game to greater challenges,

Sounds like any value system anywhere, actually. sounds like life. folks rarely take an objective look at their values..

*cough cough digital art*
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    the princess explodes in world 1-1 if you get all 8 stars

yes. But then her constellation on the "home" world is floating free with broken chains. The princess, and tim, are finally free.

(is this bad posting form?)

Edit: Tulk. Thanks. :) Games like this are to some degree why I really like the medium of interactive video entertainment. They point toward the actual power of the medium to convey more than just fun, but introspection and stimulation of thought via a massively shared experience, which can also be free from existing conventions and points of reference. Even if the majority of players missed the subtext of the game those who did get it, or some version of whatever the original IT was, have all had a rich experience beyond simple achievement, but supported by it.

Its like what I feel the real beauty of RPG's is, specifically the extended DnD universe/system. The setting and context and setting create a safe area to believe and behave in whatever way you choose to explore philosophically /emotionally/mentally while not having to suffer "real world" repercussions. That gives the player the option to better know and understand other ways of thinking, and or know themselves better. (assuming that the whole troupe is on the same wavelength, and playing the game for similar purposes)

Of course most often the system and setting become about ale and whores and hackin' 'n' slashin' anything even moderately aggressive. :shrug: just why I wind up not playing. I never did like level grinding, paper or electronic.

John: I like how "objectively looking at their values" makes a nice pun when applied to digital art and color theory. ;) I mean, shadows just get darker right? Thats what shadow is. :chuckle:
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Thanks for hiding the spoilers guys, Im enjoying braid - only into the 3rd room of the house but man some of those puzzles are so difficult to figure out on your own! it looks like a casual game but it requires hardcore levels of perseverance, which I dont usually have when playing games. What Ive seen of the story from the books at the beginning left me with ominous and slightly disheartened feelings and I havent even gotten anywhere near the ending. Its a strange thing because usually I feel that the goal of the story drives me on but this just seems kinda sad and pointless, the only reason I want to play through the game is for the fun of interesting puzzles and to find out what the story is trying to say rather than in other games where Im looking forward to a resolution or conclusion to the story.
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    John: I like how "objectively looking at their values" makes a nice pun when applied to digital art and color theory. ;) I mean, shadows just get darker right? Thats what shadow is. :chuckle:

har har har :)
  • ZeitgeistReview
    Yozora wrote: »
    Those secret stars are a bit too secret! I would never have known about them if I didnt read about it online... Some of them are absurd to get, like waiting 2 hours for a very slow cloud to move across the level lol -.- And I really do not see how anyone can discover that star in the house by themselves...

These secrets remind me of some things in final fantasy 8, 9, 10 & 12, super secrets that only super super hardcore people who literally try every combination of non-related tasks to find.... there are crazy things you gotta do, some secrets are designed in a way that forces the user to save before doing it, and then reset the game if the outcome is not the desired one because you only get 1 chance. Basically something people used to do to "cheat", except its intentional :/ (only talking about FF here, not Braid)

Of course you can play the game and not know about the stars, which im sure 99% of players do including myself and see that its still a very clever and fun puzzle game :)

And on the note about story, I personally didnt have much idea on what the books were on about but then again I never was much interested in reading stories. It was definitely not the reason I wanted to "advance" to the next levels.

Thank you, that's exactly how I felt as well. I posted my video on Gametrailers and Wooo! Lots of Haters and Fanbois all over that site. People trying to rip me apart because I left the story out. "Ha, sorry, I didn't care about the story. Thanks for watching my review anyway. Hope it helped people who haven't played the game, instead of people who have played it, trying to rip apart reviewers ;-)" (What I feel about GameTrailers posters)
  • ZeitgeistReview
    I think the story and text are often interpreted TOO specifically. The manhattan project is used as a very specific example of the greater point of the game, but if you do not try and interpret the game as having a singular story, but more of a singular philosophical nugget surrounded by supporting anecdotes it becomes a little more clear, to me anyway.

The core idea behind braid is: All people have dreams and wishes they try and fulfill, but by taking the dreams and wishes to the level of obsession, even if they are fulfilled, only disaster can result.

The "princess" is simply a symbol for that lofty goal, "saving her" and indeed the gameplay itself is a metaphor for the process of the pursuit of that goal, often having to take obscure routes, or counter intuitive steps to get the "keys" to unlock a new route or "level" of understanding bringing you closer to that goal.
    if you happen to have NOT finished the game events from the end sequence are hidden here.
    The twist of the game is of course shown in the several end levels, where time is flowing differently, and the final stage where you must race "with" the princess away from the "big baddie" against the wave of fire to the safety of her house/castle. OF course once you reach the "end" you see that she was not running with you, but away from you, and the baddie wasn't there to harm her, but to save her. You were the "bad guy". Stalking the princess with single minded devotion and obsession, blind to any outcome of your actions other than what was held in your fantasies.

We instinctively play games the same way humans pursue obsessions. We play with single minded purpose toward a goal which at times is vaguely defined, but we know our efforts to be "good" simply because we progress through the game to greater challenges, and within the context of your average game progress is the only indicator of performance. Games are not Bad in this regard, but it is a conditioned method of approach which braid exploits to twist its point back onto the player. I remember when I first got to the end of the game my jaw dropped and I said "Oh no way."
    The development of the atomic bomb is particularly poignant as it illustrates the great destructive potential which can accompany otherwise beneficent pursuits. Atomic energy and the secrets of the structure of matter can provide great benefit to human kind. Long lasting, relatively clean power, medical advances, pacemakers, innumerable benign and helpful things have come, however indirectly, from the efforts of the Manhattan project. However, one development overshadows them all, and with it has tainted the very ideas of the words Atomic and Nuclear to forever bear the stain of great destruction and death.

After doing some research, it seems the majority of the internet agrees with what you've just written here. But who really would have known all of this without looking it up first on the internet. A few clever people took the time to delve into what was really happening and wrote it up on the internet, and others then played the game and, like me, were like, WTF was that story even about. So they googled it, and read something like what you just wrote. Then they act high and mighty like, duh you fking idiot, you didn't understand the story? No, I didn't, and fuck you kindly. (Not you, the generic internet asshole)
  • ZeitgeistReview
    Ged wrote: »
    Thanks for hiding the spoilers guys, Im enjoying braid - only into the 3rd room of the house but man some of those puzzles are so difficult to figure out on your own! it looks like a casual game but it requires hardcore levels of perseverance, which I dont usually have when playing games. What Ive seen of the story from the books at the beginning left me with ominous and slightly disheartened feelings and I havent even gotten anywhere near the ending. Its a strange thing because usually I feel that the goal of the story drives me on but this just seems kinda sad and pointless, the only reason I want to play through the game is for the fun of interesting puzzles and to find out what the story is trying to say rather than in other games where Im looking forward to a resolution or conclusion to the story.

I feel the same. I usually care about the story, but the interesting puzzles is what drove me on, in Braid.