Home General Discussion

Pirate Bay found Guilty...

Replies

• kat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kat polycounter lvl 17
    I thought these guys originally contended that they never made any money from the core of what Pirate Bay did?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    They don't profit from the file sharing, but they do rake it in based on the ads.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    You cut the head off a chicken, it's still going to run.
    I think it's about time people start buying what they play, including myself.
    Brb, getting a job
    Also, I disagree heavily with the way they are punishing the people. Make them pay for what they downloaded, at it's full price, plus a fine and some community service, maybe. Make them get off their asses and help the community, now that's REAL punishment. Instead, people who miraculously get caught downloading the new Miley Cyrus album or what have you get charged some over the top fine, PER song. I understand it's to make up from the "losses" from the other people who have downloaded the same thing but Christ, aside from court fees, murder looks like a better crime to commit from a financial standpoint.
  • frostymoose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frostymoose polycounter lvl 17
    Vig wrote: »
    They don't profit from the file sharing, but they do rake it in based on the ads.

Site like that has to be expensive to run.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18

Yea, apparently they don't make any money. They all had day jobs. Any revenue went into bandwidth and server costs.

Anyways, smart move on their part. When you each owe millions in fines, it'd be pretty dumb to refuse an offer like that.
  • TWilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TWilson polycounter lvl 18
  • Murdoc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Murdoc polycounter lvl 11
    Kind of a shame really, because despite your opinion on piracy, what they really were doing we're making people aware of the outdated copyright laws and complete bias that is going on towards large companies when they get changed.

Not to mention I think having a spokesperson like they were for a free internet is pretty important. I mean even as frivolous as watching a "legitimate" episode on hulu outside the U.S is pretty much a chore to getting news about your government outside of it's control are pretty important things.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir wrote: »
    Yea, apparently they don't make any money. They all had day jobs. Any revenue went into bandwidth and server costs.

Anyways, smart move on their part. When you each owe millions in fines, it'd be pretty dumb to refuse an offer like that.
    I thought they where rolling in the cash and the fine could be paid, but they where going to fight it? Crazy, sucks to be TPB.
  • [Deleted User]
    TSome other site or method will spring up, become popular, grow a big sack of cash that lawyers will harvest when its ripe.
    There already are plenty of other well-known torrent sites... TPB is just the one that's most publicly obsessed over
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pope Adam polycounter lvl 11
    GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    kat wrote: »
    I thought these guys originally contended that they never made any money from the core of what Pirate Bay did?

Man, I ate so much crow today, it's not even funny. Off to burn that t-shirt I bought from their "store". You know what the funny part is? The shirt isn't good quality even by bought-it-off-the-internet standards.

Proper butt-pirates, these guys.
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmmmmm.. reminds me of another awesome service turned uberghey.....what was it called... OH YEA NAPSTER
  • CiscoJavier
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] wrote: »
    Say what you wish guys, but if it wasn't for piracy, 99% of the people here, would have never be here!

Remenber that old 3dsmax* torrent that started it all for you? yeah... ;)

LOL

I think that is very true. Maybe not for everyone in the industry though. But im sure a high high majority.

Or maybe not?
  • [Deleted User]
    LOL

I think that is very true. Maybe not for everyone in the industry though. But im sure a high high majority.

Or maybe not?
    Yeah, there was a poll a while back. Most people (here) pirate or have pirated software
  • 7point83hertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pirates have gone legit in the past.
    what was the name of that english one...

piratebay does nothing countless other sites are doing too, I just liked their total top 100 thing.
  • whipSwitch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whipSwitch polycounter lvl 8
    At the end of the day, piracy is piracy, but I think the sentiment among people who have/do download 3d or art production apps do so with the intention of "I need to know this to get a job" rather than "I want it, but I don't want to pay for it, wahhhh". I think in most cases, its much more a matter of circumstance, rather than sheer theft, like it is with most movies/games/music. At least our industry has taken a few steps to at least try to alleviate that situation, somewhat..
  • Lamont