Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Justin goes to WAR

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
This is the only time I'm going to address this, if you want to critique the art that's fine but opinions on gameplay belong in general discussion

Since Land of the Dead is live I'm going to gather some of my work together:
geo is by Rhinokey, I did the textures and geo tweaks. Tile floor texture and the hanging braziers aren't mine, I'll see if I can rangle up some credits. update: braziers by Will Austin
tk_embalmingroom.jpg

geo by me, most of the large surfaces are drawing from the Tomb King pool of textures, I did the pillars, counterweights (the guy that's scared of the scorpion on his chest), gears and the big skull over the door. The gears and counterweights are animated so they don't get light maps.
tk_sanctum01.jpg
click here for a big image that marketing just released

starting to feel a bit bummed when I realize there's alot of work that I modeled and someone else textured or I did hallway sets that use other textures etc... I guess that's how it goes! I'll grab some shots of some more personal favorites from the rest of WAR.

sorry, can't show wireframe or flats

Working on Tomb Kings was a blast, being able to work on something that wasn't the standard medieval style was a nice break and a challenge.

might take a little bit to rangle up some more but here's ye olde art test that was also my crash coarse in Max (I was a Maya user at the time) that was my actual submission so it has my watermark at the bottom. I don't want to give anyone the idea I'm looking for work!
jmeisse_shrine.jpg

Replies

• Ancient-Pig
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ancient-Pig polycounter lvl 18
    Looking good! I was a big fan of that game when it came out!
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    it looks very good, for sure. but i couldn't help noticing some of the "new" gear is actually recycled gear that already exists, with new textures.

the landscape is awesome though, and the tombs are quite fun. but we beat the vulture lord on launch day.

also, it's totally destroyed rvr on our server. currently it goes:
    order wait for domination lock as there are no destro in the rvr lakes to fight and get resources from. this takes 2 hours.
    order gain access, storm land of the dead, destro log out to keep their toons in land of the dead, and log their T4 alts (yes, we have about 4 each) to recap the zones, the dom timers start, which gives us 2 hours to wait til we have "access" again.
    then we relog back to our mains, who're still in land of the dead, have some skirmishes, but nothing major. since the bugged traps in the dungeons wipe you and brand you a traitor so you can't do anything else.

rinse, repeat.

edit: art wise, i can't fault you. it's really well executed, and after Xeno posted examples of how the texture system works, and then reading up on the engine you're using, i doubt you could achieve a better result :)
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Nice job completely ignoring Justin's request on gameplay comments Gir.

Looks sweet dude. I don't play the game, so I'm awaiting more photos!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haven't played it, but I like what you guys did. =)
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    it looks like it breaks the gameplay and ruins warhammer, gosh.

Sweet work dude!
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    Ceiling kinda looks like its floating on the pillars. Looks pretty though.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Slum wrote: »
    Nice job completely ignoring Justin's request on gameplay comments Gir.

Looks sweet dude. I don't play the game, so I'm awaiting more photos!

he edited his post after i posted mine.

thanks for making me look like more of a dick justin :D
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    Nice work, Soldier!
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    Looks great, i might have to download the free trial to take a stroll, but i think this is the expansion right? I'm working on one of the WAR concepts at the minute, an egyptian styled one, so whatever you do don't post any work someone has done on for it, or i might not be able to finish it. Solid.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Nice work! Can you post any texture flats?
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Looks great, i might have to download the free trial to take a stroll, but i think this is the expansion right? I'm working on one of the WAR concepts at the minute, an egyptian styled one, so whatever you do don't post any work someone has done on for it, or i might not be able to finish it. Solid.

Yeah, to get in you have to be at least rank 25 I think, so you won't be able to see it in the free trial.
    Slum wrote: »
    Nice work! Can you post any texture flats?

I'm assuming I can't, I actually posted that in my big unorganized wall of text but I don't fault you for missing it! Before I posted, I asked the former AD for permission (who was promoted recently but I forgot his title now) and he was kind of hesitant at first but then he said as long as they are in game shots.
  • natetheartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    natetheartist polycounter lvl 9
    are there spec maps here? The textures look nicely painted, but the metalic areas especially seem somewhat flat. Perhaps that's the intended style?
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18