Home General Discussion

How important is it to know target studio's 3D app?

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Zack Fowler polycounter lvl 11
Hey guys, got a general question for you. This is more for the guys who have been through a few gigs or have been involved in the hiring process at their studios.

How important would you say it is for me as a potential hire to be familiar with a target studio's primary 3D package? In other words, I'm pretty much 3DS max exclusive at the moment but some of the studios I'm planning to apply to after building my portfolio for a couple more months are Maya centric. To make myself as attractive a hire as possible, should I try picking up Maya or just focus on cranking out the best work I can in 3DS MAX? I have a decently technical mind and can pick up new software fairly easily, but I don't know if learning Maya would be worth my time right now. What do you think?

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I haven't done a lot of studio hopping but I'll toss my 2 bits as I've been in that boat before when I was looking around.

It really depends on the studio and how much time and effort they are willing to put into someone to get them up to speed. A mediocre artist might get passed over if they don't know the core software but a great artist might be given a little more wiggle room.

There is also the HR filter you might have to pass.

Either way I think it helps to know as much as you can about the given app they prefer when applying. I would definitely pick up Maya and crank out some models simulating a production like experience and add that to the list of software you can use. I've seen some people rate their experience on a scale so would-be employers know "this app is preferred but I have some experience with these".

I think getting to a point where you wouldn't be asking super-noob questions would be good. It kind of sucks learning new software, it would suck even more learning new software while starting a new job. Do yourself a favor and get the facepalm moments over and done with in the privacy of your own home =P
  • Zack Fowler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the detailed reply, Vig. :) Good point, I don't have to make my major showcase pieces in Maya. I'll just do a few minor props to get the general gist of it. Seems like a sound strategy to state primary/secondary apps too.
  • RyRyB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RyRyB polycounter lvl 18
    I agree with Vig.

Get the basics down. I made the switch from Max to Maya at my current job and had to do it while learning everything else. It's not easy, especially when it comes to deadline time.

That being said, there's no better way to learn than to jump off the cliff and grow your wings on the way down. :)
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    I was in the same boat, but the studio gave me about a week to learn Maya (pretty much all you really need).

In the end youre just moving verts around, the rest you can learn as you go.
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    you still can do models in max, then export to any package, you want)
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte wrote: »
    I think the problem he would run into is the place would need to buy 2 seats of software for one artist. Some places might be fine with it, others, not.

At that point I think skill weighs in heavily. Skill translates from one app to another it just takes time, are they willing to put that time in? Is the skill worth it?
  • Kevin Albers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Albers polycounter lvl 18
    The primary/secondary strategy is probably a good one, but most studios either state 'must be expert at our choosen 3d app' or state 'must be expert in either 3d app'. I haven't seen job postings that state 'must be expert at our choosen app or at least familiar with it'.
    It's still a good strategy though.
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    Vig hit it on the head with this one. At the end of the day, if your a great artist, it doesnt matter what tool you use, the studio will hire you. In a production environment, it wont take more than max a week or two to get efficient in a new package. Spending 8 hours a day at least with regular users of a specific application will get you up to speed pretty fast.

If your art is good enough to surpass your technical skills, and depending on what position your applying for, you could easily just crank out an awesome portfolio and get the job.
  • Zack Fowler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte wrote: »

Ehh, that's not really a workable long-term solution. Last gig I was at all the environment artists used Max and it was a problem when people tried using Maya then porting over, because of things like when another person on the team needs to make tweaks to the asset and they don't know the other app. Eventually it was decreed that all environment assets should be authored in Max just to cut down on headaches.
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    Johnny, good one!
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jocose polycounter lvl 11
    I think it's good to have at least looked at all the major apps and be familiar with at least their superficial features and limitations.

That way you can put on your resume that you are at least familiar with the app. It will help answer the lingering question: how much does this guy already know, and how much are we going to have to teach him?

With that information up front, they will feel more confident in hiring you or asking you for an interview because they know your not bias to one tool, and are capable of learning new ones.

Aside from the that, yeah just make kick ass art.
  • Zack Fowler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the advice guys! For some reason I had this idea in my head that if I did anything with Maya at all it needed to be up to my standards with max. I'll make a handful of minor assets with it to get the boneheaded noobishness out of the way and leave it at that for my portfolio building period. Might screw around with XSI and Modo trials also.
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    Back in the day i used to be a maya-guy. Then i got hired and the company said. Eh! Start using max. I said awright while being slightly scared but it didn´t take long for me to get to grips with the stuff and if i can do it, you can do it. I´m pretty much a moron. :)

I don´t think companies are very strict about that whole 3d package requirement.
  • Zack Fowler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, that's what I'm hoping. I figure establishing a general "this guy knows what he's doing" vibe will be good enough if I express that I'm very willing to adapt and learn.

Stumbled on this thread and thought I'd link in case any lurkers are also considering picking up Maya: http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=41837
  • TWilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TWilson polycounter lvl 18
    I joined Radical having hardly used Maya. I picked it up enough to work in the first couple weeks and somewhat fluid in the first month.

[cheese] My grandpa once told me he was starting a new job at a mine along with 6 other new guys. The boss lined them all up and asked if anyone knew how to control the carts. He said he did, and ended up just driving the boss around all day while the others broke their backs mining. Moral of the story is... lie a little but learn fast :)
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tyler, ha!

Zack, There have been a few threads like that in the past some even more helpful than that. I'm not sure they can be found though... But when you get ready if you hit snags you can probably start your own.

Someone should write a guide for the wiki about switching back and forth.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    I pray for the day when things like Colladra are advanced enough that you can share between different programs for 95% of things. Then the developer just has to buy one seat of whatever you use the best.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FBX goes a long way in porting info back and forth it exports a bunch of things, lights cameras, animations, materials. Autodesk made a QuickTimeVR plug-in that lets you explore FBX files without opening them in a 3D package.
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary wrote: »
    I pray for the day when things like Colladra are advanced enough that you can share between different programs for 95% of things. Then the developer just has to buy one seat of whatever you use the best.

Unlikely. This would either mean paying a huge tech team to support tools across many different packages, or a license for one package that every artist gets, then another license for each artist that wants to work in something specific.
  • Whargoul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whargoul polycounter lvl 18
    Learn the package. Studios do not want to support multiple packages, SEs don't want to debug your assets when they don't look quite right, and I don't want to have to hear you say: "But this is soooo easy in package X" all day long.

Fuck that annoys the hell out of me. Reminds me of this douchebag on my team who has to interject and say how fucking awesome Houdini into any imaginable context. And how easy it is for him to make this awesome tool, and it will only take a couple days..... two months ago.... and it still sucks.

Long story short - learn the studio's package. :)
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    Whargoul wrote: »
    Learn the package. Studios do not want to support multiple packages, SEs don't want to debug your assets when they don't look quite right, and I don't want to have to hear you say: "But this is soooo easy in package X" all day long.

Fuck that annoys the hell out of me. Reminds me of this douchebag on my team who has to interject and say how fucking awesome Houdini into any imaginable context. And how easy it is for him to make this awesome tool, and it will only take a couple days..... two months ago.... and it still sucks.

Long story short - learn the studio's package. :)

id say bollox to that unless its a technical art position, the art is important, i joined travellers tales having opened maya once or twice, and rockstar without opening max for about three years, they didnt care, in my experience your probably going to end up use alot of inhouse tools anyway...
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    OBJ, fools
    FBX! Meshes, Lights, Cameras, Materials, Animation.

Motion Builder, Maya, Max (and I think XSI?) all play really nicely with it. There also is a QuicktimeVR stand alone plug-in that lets you view FBX files and nav around inside the file and watch animations without having a 3D package installed.
  • rv_el
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rv_el polycounter lvl 18
    One thing i can say is that its different for every company, just like how every company is different from each other in this industry - which is a fun but often times confusing/annoying thing. Each company is like an individual person where what they want is directly set by the people involved (package infatuated AD's... Traditional Art orientated...you name it.) But also i want to point out that the companies "situation" can come into play.

So on a lot of entry level companies your probably more likely to find people looking for somebody who can seriously "hit the ground sprinting". Lots of companies (like this) will hire when they are most desperate and right before ship and in the middle of heavy crunch. I think MANY people on this board including myself can relate to getting a job (especially first job) to a hit-the-ground-sprinting-till-ship situation. You can bet you should know the package :)

But as time goes on this can become less of an issue as you grow as an artist. Your main focus should ALWAYS be on art and becoming a good artist. Then you will pull the attention of a more paced and solid developer who is willing ,for all your amazing art skills, allow you to learn the package more or less.. obviously you want to do whatever you can to kill any doubts they might have which does includes sofware packages. I mean it always helps :).

But anyways i thought i would just throw that out there. From your end a company might look like they are just looking for somebody talented but what you dont see is a bunch of techy art people scrambling to find somebody who can help get the current game on hand done and out the door. :)
  • warby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    the answer is ... "very !"
  • TWilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TWilson polycounter lvl 18
    Whargoul wrote: »
    ...I don't want to have to hear you say: "But this is soooo easy in package X" all day long.

True dat
  • Zack Fowler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whargoul: I think you misunderstand. I'm only asking about learning the 3D package before applying for a position, not learning it once you're there.

rv_el: Insightful stuff, thanks man. I'm hoping to land the latter kind of job: at an established studio where hiring is based more on overall talent and skill rather than immediate needs. I can take a pay-the-bills gig once my savings run out if I need to but I'm aiming high. :)
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    glib wrote: »
    Unlikely. This would either mean paying a huge tech team to support tools across many different packages, or a license for one package that every artist gets, then another license for each artist that wants to work in something specific.

Unless.. All that can be done on the shared format.. So in other words. Any particular engine tweaks that need to be made or to be imported, are done on that shared file format itself. No worries about creating particular pipeline items for the 3d program. Just for the final shared format.

Quick example. How some engines are allowing direct importation of colladra files.

Vig, I thought FBX was owned by Autodesk? Thats why I think Colladra is more open.