Home General Discussion

Google expects artists to work for free...

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/15/business/media/15illo.html?_r=1&em

This is a fucking joke.

Google can afford to pay artists, they are a multibillion dollar company, so this is just being plain rude, and setting a horrible precedent for artists.

Man i wish this sort of thing could be outlawed.

Replies

• oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    how could it be outlawed. artist are given a choice to accept the offer or decline it. I could see it being a useful thing for artist who want to get their name out there. For a seasoned vet it might not be as useful. its not like google is the only place illustrators can get work.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heh that last comment was more me steaming annoyance than an actual wish for it to happen ;) (its impossible and would probably cause more harm than good). The main point here is that they are actually contacting professional artists and asking them to work for free. It isnt simply an open offer.

Its also about the fact that google can afford to pay, its not a small start up company. And this sets a bad precedent for other corporations...
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    I agree it cannot be outlawed but it is crappy. If an artist works for free it cheapens the trade. This guy has a great blog post about working for free (it deals with photography but it's the same issue) and he can articulate it much better than I could

http://photobusinessforum.blogspot.com/2008/12/professional-photographers-vs-hobby.html
  • sinistergfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sinistergfx polycounter lvl 18
    HA!

Hasn't everyone had someone try to propose this shitty deal as some point?
    "It won't pay but it will get your name out there!" Then you laugh in their face.

Lame, Google, lame.
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    This sort of thing always reminds me of deviantART, I think because some article about spec work somewhere went on about the "sponsored" contests and challenges that go on there.
  • kat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kat polycounter lvl 17
    That's the web for you... anything connected to or with it carries the "free" expectation. *sigh*
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    Oh yeah, I've heard that crap line before.

"It won't pay, but it will get your name out there!"

The important thing to ask is, "It will get me name out where?" I love the little sketches and drawings that Google uses for their logo from time to time. But I couldn't tell you the name of a single artist who produced them. I've worked in small indie design studios before, and various people were always trying to feed us this crap. They weren't willing to pay us, but they'd make sure our name got "Out There."

"Out There" does not pay the bills.
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    Johnny Raptor expects google to go %(!) itself, its discriminating and degrading to our line of work....shiet, id love to see em ask their lawyers to work for free...
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    But they'd have the worldwide prestige of being Google's free lawyers.
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    I've seen many websites and forums out there have a "contest" for people to redesign their layout, graphics, everything - and the "prize" is ussually piddly compared to the work involved.

Meh, Something For Nothing is only good as a Rush song from the album 2112 - and even then, not one of their best.
  • MattW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattW polycounter lvl 10
    I don't really agree that even for a person struggling to get started that this is an OK practice or should be viewed as an 'opportunity.' No matter who you are you or what your status is you have to believe that your work has merit and you should be compensated for your time. Unless you can quantify the benefit of doing this type of project and it manages to outweigh the time you put into it, there's no reason to do this ever.

I see this as having a two-fold effect. First if a large corporation like Google has no qualms asking for such a thing, smaller firms certainly will follow suit. And there's always some 'artist' willing to fill that spot you won't. Second, it will more than likely dilute the market with sub par, yet free/cheap work (see: clip art). Companies are very often willing to cut costs at the loss of quality. In a time when print is going out of style and the illustration industry and is struggling this creates a very dangerous slippery slope.
  • kat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kat polycounter lvl 17
    .. oh and also there's a presumption from the likes of Google that all that publicity would actually amount to something - anyone that's done AdWords or online advertising will tell you that it invariably doesn't always work like that; the end user don't care or question the 'whys' and 'wherefores' of something they get for free themselves.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    This is my favorite article (well, the first part) on the "THINK OF THE EXPOOOOOOOSURE" scam

http://www.povonline.com/cols/COL209.htm

Seriously fuck Google. 1.42 billion quarterly profit? Hook these people up.
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    It is one thing to expect this from someone starting up a project and looking for some pro-bono, but from Google, it is downright insulting to... well, everyone.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A contest is different. For starters, a contest is a competition between various artists. And artists like that sort of thing. They enjoy stacking their work up and criticizing other artists' work. That's part of the fun. Moreover, a contest has the implied expectation of prizes. And prizes are a form of compensation. Oh sure, anyone who doesn't rank in the contest doesn't get compensated. But there's also the expectation that those entries won't be used in a commercial capacity.

A contest is still a scam to get a lot of artwork for a very cheap price. But there is something there for anyone who participates to enjoy. Straight-up pro bono for nothing but "exposure" is outright extortion. You can't even write that crap off on your taxes. A company with deep-ass pockets like Google has no excuse for this sort of behaviour.
  • [Deleted User]
    oobersli wrote: »
    how could it be outlawed.
    It's called a price floor, the government can set one in order to prevent a damaging level of undercutting. It absolutely can be done, and has been.
  • Rox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rox
    Valandar wrote: »
    I've seen many websites and forums out there have a "contest" for people to redesign their layout, graphics, everything - and the "prize" is ussually piddly compared to the work involved.
    That one's always fun! I've seen tons of that over at Pixelation. Even people trying to make games. They post a thread under the Challenges forum and say "OKAY. Everyone who's awesome, design and animate the main character sprite for my 2D platformer! The WINNER gets to have HIS GRAPHICS IN A GAME! Yeeaah!"

A perfectly good scam to get craploads of free graphics for nothing. Hmm, that sounds familiar...
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daaark polycounter lvl 17
    Wasn't there a time when Google paid all their employees nothing but stock options?
  • TWilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TWilson polycounter lvl 18
    You get what you pay for...
  • Elhrrah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elhrrah polycounter lvl 8
    What about food? Would you be happy if they paid you in food? Everywhere I go, I see if people will allow me to pay them in food; strangely, they never let me.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Wow, my respect for google just dropped like a rock. Also for the artists who took the offer. Why in the crap would you do a whack load of work for a giant corporation and not get paid. Hafta have a spine like a wet noodle. :P
  • ArtsyFartsy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wasn't there a thread around here some time ago about contemporary art and everybody was laughing at them and saying what a joke it is, and how the money people pay for it is ridiculous?

The artist position is heavily discriminated against, and even more so between artists of different disciplines. Artists get paid the least of any department in a production pipeline, even though their skills are the hardest and most time consuming to attain. You can teach a monkey to program in a year. I've been drawing for 5 years and still got nothing.

For this state of affairs I blame artists themselves most of all, because of the contempt they show towards other artists, and for being such prostitutes and selling themselves for nothing at every chance they get.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    That's outrageous!!! I am completely and totally outraged!!!

On an unrelated note, how much is Polycount paying all of the artists who have their work shown in the rotating banner graphics at the top of each page?
  • Zack Fowler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Fowler polycounter lvl 11
    About as much as they are making off them, I assume.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    shut up, you're all a bunch of snobs.
    bills? pah, say you're damaged after a lifetime in front of the computers, and the state will give you cash.
    and then you can work for free.
    actually this is how things should be. the government gives you money, and you create stuff of value.
    you get to have fun and create stuff, the govt makes sure you stay alive, and is happy, so you can create stuff.

its my new ideological system. i call it social capitalism.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Artists get paid the least of any department in a production pipeline, even though their skills are the hardest and most time consuming to attain. You can teach a monkey to program in a year. I've been drawing for 5 years and still got nothing.

While I take umbrage to the implication that programming is easy, I freely acknowledge that art is much harder to teach. At the end of the day, an artist needs a certain degree of natural talent, as well as practice, in order to make decent art. You can teach almost anyone to write decent code.

And as far as employment goes, a lot of the time decent code, or even half-assed code, will suffice. As long as it works, that's good enough. It doesn't work that way with art. If its half-assed, everyone knows it, and its not good enough.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    It doesn't work that way with art. If its half-assed, everyone knows it, and its not good enough.

Totally, you never see incompetent artists making the same salary as you (or more than you). Game art is a totally merit-based position, you can't just skate through by kissing ass. No sir. Only the best survive!
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    artsy... you couldnt teach me programming if you had 10 years. I've tried. I suck at it. Can't think that way.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah its getting to the stage where commerical art is becoming one of the only industries where skill actually matters (well determinies your paycheck anyways). ( well i suppose music could be counted as well, but with the popularity of things like american idol...)

I think that is part of the beauty of doing art as well, because it is so difficult that when you succeed it feels unreal.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    this reminds me of when I worked on Ultimate Duck Hunting and the promise of royalties while working for free.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    well I for one sell my art skills at every opportunity for peanuts, but I will not work for nothing. I hate that shit.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't ask pros to donate their work unless its for a good cause.

Now if only they had a way to advertise that they where taking free chrome skin submissions... like some kind of ad software or a page everyone visits... humm...
  • kat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kat polycounter lvl 17
    vermilion wrote: »
    That's outrageous!!! I am completely and totally outraged!!!

On an unrelated note, how much is Polycount paying all of the artists who have their work shown in the rotating banner graphics at the top of each page?
    The difference is, I suppose, that the banners weren't specifically commissioned for use as such. *shrugs*
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Anyone notice this?
    where artists and companies (including Jeff Koons, Bob Dylan and Gucci) contributed images to be used as skins.

All three of those CAN AFFORD to give things away. (And Koons is a no talent hack who relies on workmen to get his ideas out)

But..

Please be careful with your complaints about "free" work. Mods, and startups have to rely on people willing to give their own time. Many times for projects that may never see the light of day.
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sort of related to this discussion, I'm sure all you freelancers out there can relate to this:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2a8TRSgzZY[/ame]
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    why make a big deal of it? drawing a middle finger in a decline is a pretty douche move. a simple "no" wouldn't suffice? why pay for it when others will very likely offer their art for free? because you're a multimillion dollar company? pff, keep making your money elsewhere hotshot, whatever.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    ... I'd really love to know how much coding you guys have done artsy and richard. Seems to me that you may talking outa your asses a bit, yea?

Oxy - there's a huge difference between a mod or startup and a corporate giant like google looking for free work.

And Ben - that video is awesome.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Absolutely Tulk. I just wanted to point it out, as it came across as a global statement by some.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir wrote: »
    ... I'd really love to know how much coding you guys have done artsy and richard. Seems to me that you may talking outa your asses a bit, yea?

I'm a web designer by trade. I regularly code in HTML, XML, Actionscript 3.0, PHP, MYSQL, ColdFusion, and CSS. In my free time I dapple in C#, Python, and Objective-C. (like everyone and their dog, I am working on my own iPhone app) I'm not a programmer in the strictest sense. I majored in Graphic Design in college and have only ever taken one programming course.

Of course, that's part of why I think most people can learn programming without much in the way of talent. I learned most of the programming I know on my own. We only had like 2 weeks worth of web design in university. Everything else was traditional mediums and general theory. If I can manage to learn multiple languages on my own, I would imagine most people could learn at least one with competent instruction.

Perhaps most importantly, programming is a "behind-the-scenes" discipline. It is back-end. When a programmer does his or her job right, it seems like magic to most non-programmers. People interact with a programmer's work all the time, but they never "see" it. As long as there are no glaring bugs that show up in the final product, the end user is fine.

But that doesn't mean that the programmer has written solid code. Good code is easy to change and easy to follow. It lends itself well to the structure of the project in question. But there are any number of solutions. And a bad, convoluted solution can end up providing the same functionality as a streamlined, well-documented solution. A bad programmer can get the same results as a good programmer. His results will probably take longer, and they will be a nightmare to go back and change later, but he can still provide a comparable product.

An artist works on the front-end. Their work is immediately obvious, because it is what the end-user actually sees. If they make bad art, most everybody can tell immediately. You have to be a programmer, and have access to source-code, in order to recognize bad programming. You don't have to be an artist to recognize bad art.
  • [Deleted User]
    On the other hand, there's one blindingly obvious reason why programmers make the money they do...
  • DEElekgolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DEElekgolo interpolator
    “So for you, I give you a special salute that I hope will keep you away because I don’t need your work,” Mr. Taxali wrote, followed by his own drawing of a hand gesture popular with impatient motorists.
    haha
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    Lee3dee wrote: »
    this reminds me of when I worked on Ultimate Duck Hunting and the promise of royalties while working for free.

So just curious because... uh a friend of mine is doing the same thing, how did it work out for you in the end?
  • ArtsyFartsy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir wrote: »

The quote about a monkey learning programming is not mine but my brother's who is a senior java developer at a cell phone company. I only took a couple of programming classes in college and I did ace them ::pats on back::

Calm down programmers, nobody is saying your job is not hard to do. It, also takes many many years of training to master, and lots of reading to stay current.

And also i should note that there are tons of free software out there, open source and what have you. Or my beloved xnormal.

But you better watch yourselves programmers. Because market forces can push in unpredictable ways, and 10 years from now, you could be here complaining about not making enough money.
    It could happen to you
    to you...
    to you...
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    t4paN wrote: »
    So just curious because... uh a friend of mine is doing the same thing, how did it work out for you in the end?

I saw $5 for 40 hours a week, for 8 months.
  • MachineMinded
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm a web designer by trade. I regularly code in HTML, XML, Actionscript 3.0, PHP, MYSQL, ColdFusion, and CSS. In my free time I dapple in C#, Python, and Objective-C. (like everyone and their dog, I am working on my own iPhone app) I'm not a programmer in the strictest sense. I majored in Graphic Design in college and have only ever taken one programming course.
    HTML, XML, PHP and SQL aren't programming languages. First two are languages for describing things, third is a scripting language that you could argue is sort of programming and the fourth is a query language. I'm not familiar with ColdFusion though.

I call bullshit on bad programmer being able to get the same end result as a good programmer if given enough time. Programming is about problem solving and solutions. Some minds simply don't think the same way as others and as such some solutions can be hard or impossible to find by some.

I think people should be fairly compensated for their work, no matter what it entails. But don't start talking out of your ass of things you really don't know so much about.
  • sir-knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sir-knight polycounter lvl 10
    so... I go into a restaurant... and I ask the chef to feed me every day for free, and pay him only in promises that I will tell all my friends about his place?

Nothing pisses me off more than people wanting others to work for free with a promise of exposure.

When was the last time you asked who the specific artist was who designed the FF logo? or the MS logo? Come on.

I'm so sick and tired of people thinking that artists, no matter what their skill can shit out quality art that's perfect to their every nitpicky need like it's an unwanted effortless bodily function.
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    t4paN wrote: »

Take a wild guess.

A friend of mine was in the same boat as your 'friend' while working on some projects for some self-important fraud who also happens to be the director of a school at the university.

Tell your 'friend' to get out of that shitty deal now.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    sir-knight wrote: »
    I'm so sick and tired of people thinking that artists, no matter what their skill can shit out quality art that's perfect to their every nitpicky need like it's an unwanted effortless bodily function.

It's because we make it look effortless!

to the programming is easy crowd:
    programming isn't easy, you may have a natural aptitude for it but that just means its easy to you.
  • ArtsyFartsy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I forgive programmers making more money since their field is nothing but dudes. Have you seen these Computer Science schools? There's more sausage there than at a Polish meat festival.

What about internships that require you to be a flawless artist already?
  • bombadil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bombadil polycounter lvl 18
    I think this is not fair. To not use a stronger word...

They pay or sort of to their google summer of code students...even considering they're students, not pros or freelancers living of it...

Once again, artists' work hours mean nothing to a lot of people...

It's even worse if Google does it... Last news I had was that enormous company had not suffered from crisis , compared to other huge companies...

And just for the art of a tool... I mean, is not such a big quantity of money...Not for them in any case.