Home General Discussion

Tehran, reTweet from Neil Gaiman

Replies

• Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pope Adam polycounter lvl 11
    Kat, exactly what i was thinking!

National guard recieves a monthly check from the fed gov not state gov. they're not gonna answer to anyone else.

the nat guard generals would have to be willing to fight the government in order to then even attempt to convince their troops to do the same, and judging by how many army sheep i met back in my ft. bragg days, they would be hard pressed to fight against their beloved G.W. or any pres. for that matter
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kat wrote: »
    There are articles online that report that Obama used the National Guard to round up dissenters during his election campaign - not sure what they did with those they corralled though.
    How does a lone senator from Illinois tell the National Guard to do anything?
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pope Adam polycounter lvl 11
    With his cool black-dude street cred! Duh!
  • kat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kat polycounter lvl 17
    Vig wrote: »
    How does a lone senator from Illinois tell the National Guard to do anything?
    Sorry got my facts mixed up, apologies for that.. Obama 'asked' various states (Missouri in this instance) to arrest people allegedly telling 'lies' (dessenting) about his campaign whilst is was going on as part of something called "The Truth Squad". It was never clarified exactly which authorities were part of this.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ha, well according to that it looks like a group of lawyers out to dispel "swiftboat veterans for truth" style political hit jobs.

I don't see any mention of the national guard rounding people up. At most they mention that part of the group is a local sheriff... Big leap from concerned citizens trying to set the record straight and fend off dirty politics than to National Guard rounding up people like the zombie apocalypse was upon us.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1904764,00.html?xid=rss-topstories
    times article, 2-3 million demonstrators converged in teheran to protest the government.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    There are articles online that report that Obama used the National Guard to round up dissenters during his election campaign - not sure what they did with those they corralled though.

@ SupRore : I don't quite understand what you mean by "conventional victory", surely the purpose of all fighting is to 'win' a war so that the enemy is no longer able to or willing to fight, the methods and techniques to do that aren't exclusive to the use of heavy machinery (as we're seeing in Iraq et-al), right?

Unless i';m mistaken a state militia of national guard has to be activated before it's answerable to the federal government, so in a situation where a state wanted to secede or rebel or whatever they could just retain command of them. That may not be the way it works anymore.

And the conventional victory would be capture of the country. No homegrown force is going to take control of america, merely force it into economic and societal decay. America cant afford to fight that kind of war, but that doesn't mean that kind of militia could oust the government.
    t4paN wrote: »
    he could use the militia to round up his political oposition and have them kill their neighbours who don't view him as a world savior.

This is true, but if the majority of people with guns want to help the government, the people don't want a rebellion.

It's not designed to prevent evil or whatever, it's designed to empower the people. If the people want craziness and genocide, they'll get it.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Sorry got my facts mixed up, apologies for that.. Obama 'asked' various states (Missouri in this instance) to arrest people allegedly telling 'lies' (dessenting) about his campaign whilst is was going on as part of something called "The Truth Squad". It was never clarified exactly which authorities were part of this.

kat, are you a US citizen?

Anyhow. Read more.
    “to respond forcefully” to “the incredible distortions that are coming from the Clinton campaign in particular and our desire to set the record straight,

Musta got the National Guard on the former presidents ass.. Huh?
    http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/01/22/598186.aspx
    There is no evidence, however, that these prosecutors are threatening to use their prosecutorial powers in such a way.

And despite GOP complaints that the mere presence of prosecutors on the "Truth Squad" could intimidate Obama's critics, Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., and his running mate Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin have used prosecutors on their "Truth Squads" too, prompting no complaints from the GOP at the time.

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2008/09/attacking-obama.html

BTW, that unverified politically biased rumor did not even belong in this thread. This is about the Irans steering where their country goes.

PS. What about all the arrests at the GOP convention back then? Even for innocent protestors? (Answer off this thread if you do)
  • kat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kat polycounter lvl 17
    oXYnary wrote: »
    kat, are you a US citizen?

...stuff...
    I don't quite follow why you're asking that in a topic where ostensibly Western citizens are discussing the out come of a foreign election in Iran.

The comment made above is not an endorsement for or against any particular party but an example that sprang to mind of an authority using its powers against a populace unlawfully; I'm fully aware of what both parties do with regards to 'detaining' citizens protesters.

I'd also disagree and say that yes, commentary of this nature does belong here as a natural progression of a discussion about un/armed populace being able to defend itself against an overzealous authority, right now for example, YouTube is bursting with heavy handed responses to the Iranian election protests on both sides of the fence.

By the way I have no bias, I regard all politicians with equal contempt, irrespective of party or country allegiances [insert wink icon here].
  • ericdigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ericdigital polycounter lvl 13
    Here is a set of pictures from Boston.com. Really gives a great sense of what is happening.

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2009/06/irans_disputed_election.html

i03_19377861.jpg
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    http://www.boingboing.net/2009/06/16/cyberwar-guide-for-i.html

For those who want to help in some minuscule way, like changing timezone and location to Tehran to slow down the government in finding the bloggers/Tweeters.

Read a lot of bullshit that Iran is doing... Creating false Twitter accounts spreading disinformation, government TV saying the protesters are actually supporters of the re-elected president, election 'experts' saying there is no way that the election was rigged with over 10 million votes for the incumbent, university exams are still on, students being told 'everything is fine'.....

Saw one tweet that Hezbolah is in among the crowd attacking people.. O.O;;
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    just got this in my facebook inbox from a friend:

"Just 10 minutes ago, I recieved a call from my relatives in Rasht, and they said that they are killing people in masses specially students. I also recieved an email from my friend who is a student in Esfahan and she said the same thing. I feel so helpless. I have emailed UN two times and I want to encourage you to do so as well it only takes 5 minuates or so but it means sooo much!\

We have to do everything we can here and help them!
    Please come up with ideas and spread them!

peace and love/Mona''
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    snemmy wrote: »
    Saw one tweet that Hezbolah is in among the crowd attacking people.. O.O;;

Why does this surprises you?

Man, I hate to be the jaded fucker, but I'm afraid nothing will come of this. The people in power will stamp down hard on the dissenters.

Student protests at Tiananmen Square.

Monks protesting in Mayanmar.

Doesn't mean the protesters should stop, though. No matter how futile one's fight may be, all that matters is you fight for what is right.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I heard on NPR that they locked down all foreign media to their hotels and offices, no reporting from the streets. They are even starting to kick a few out.

Then I read this morning that they are starting to round up and arrest key people.

http://www.iranhumanrights.org/2009/06/increasingrepression/

Hopefully the protests can stay peaceful on both sides.
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    Here is a set of pictures from Boston.com. Really gives a great sense of what is happening.

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2009/06/irans_disputed_election.html

i03_19377861.jpg

jesus christ that's really fucked up
  • kat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kat polycounter lvl 17
    Vig wrote: »
    I heard on NPR that they locked down all foreign media to their hotels and offices, no reporting from the streets. They are even starting to kick a few out...
    Glanced at Huffington Post (at-al) yesterday/last night they had the same headline.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    The situation in Iran has gotten a lot worse and its really frustrating not being able to do anything.

Ive gone to some rallies in Vancouver and such but there is no way to help the Iranians in Iran because of the clamp on down by the government on foreigners and new agencies.

I hope that all the people that have died during the clashes R.I.P and the people that are still disobeying the fuck face ayatollah are safe and continue there efforts in changing the face of Iran.
  • [Deleted User]
    If anyone's still following persiankiwi, it's getting even more depressing :(
  • sir-knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sir-knight polycounter lvl 10
    It's difficult to do anything about it even if we can rouse our governments. Say the UN goes in and pulls them apart and forces another election... how is the rest of the middle east going to see it?

I don't want to sound racist or anything, but the west is in a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.

We do something, the middle east will say the west is interfering in their affairs, bastardly westerners fuxing with out shiznat... more hate for the west is created.

We do nothing, we feel bad, the people who are being murdered in the streets feel like the world left them out to dry, more hate for the west is created.

It's a long way from being over, problem is how much info getting out is real on both sides?

I know I saw amateur video of someone coming up on a dead body of a woman protester in the street, so obviously people ARE dying over there, people ARE being arrested, and foreign press ARE being confined or expelled.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree, there is nothing the west can do. Can't use force, can't use diplomacy and we shouldn't try and push a covert agenda. What little has been said by western governments has been labeled as meddling. I can't believe that more US politicians want to play into the propaganda and give them more ammunition.

I'm pretty much convinced we've seen the end of the protests (thanks to the brutal crack down), but a lot of people have been awakened by this inside and out. This could be the beginning of the unraveling. But I think if anyone should be doing the unraveling it should be by the Iranian people themselves. This is their fight if they so choose it to be.

I still blame the people who were handing out false hope like candy at a parade.