Home Contests & Challenges Archives Game Art Workshops

Workshop # 1- okkun

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
okkun polycounter lvl 18
This has been shown before but I thought I'd chime in since some people seem to be making it much harder than in needs to be by working on a solid Sub-D model.

The benefit of using a reference with a stack means you can work on a really simple model and get instant feedback. Don't worry about quads or tris, in fact, adding verts without edges is usually better. Even though the high-res is pretty sloppy all you really need to worry about is how it looks shaded.

Another added benefit to this is that you can go in at any time using the spline and fatten up your edges if they're not turning out the way you want in a render or bake. And you have a low res without a bunch of extra edges that will be easy to optimize for a normal map render.

HoloShellModeling.jpghttp://www.valent.us/joakim/HolosightModel.max
http://www.valent.us/joakim/HolosightModel.obj

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yep, this is exactly how I was going to do it. Shell modifier is awesome. I wouldn't use a reference though, since I have hotkeys for moving up and down the stack and toggling end result.
    Definitely the smart way to work.
  • okkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okkun polycounter lvl 18
    I might have to try that. I just like to see things as I'm doing them, did tab toggle in lightwave for too many years I guess :)
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Well, that's what I mean... toggling a turbosmooth modifier using Show End Result is just like using TAB in Lightwave, if I remember right.
  • mdeforge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mdeforge polycounter lvl 14
    Even though the high-res is pretty sloppy all you really need to worry about is how it looks shaded.

I'm not sure if this is ever the approach I would take. But that's just me personally. Maybe if I was doing movies or CGI that didn't involve as strict polycount limitations I would do it this way, but for games, no.

It sounds to me like it's a trade off of speed vs. quality. Not to say your result doesn't provide quality when shaded, it just has a lot of unnecessary poly's.

I'm interested in hearing people's thoughts on this.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stradigos wrote: »
    I'm not sure if this is ever the approach I would take. But that's just me personally. Maybe if I was doing movies or CGI that didn't involve as strict polycount limitations I would do it this way, but for games, no.

It sounds to me like it's a trade off of speed vs. quality. Not to say your result doesn't provide quality when shaded, it just has a lot of unnecessary poly's.

I'm interested in hearing people's thoughts on this.

It really depends on what you're talking about here.

If its a lowpoly mesh, sure you have to take the extra care to make sure it is constructed well, optimized, etc.

Highpoly for baking nm? Do whatever works, optimizing a hp mesh, or doing any other time wasting thing that doesnt actually affect the visual end result of the mesh is a total waste of time, there is absolutely no reason to do it.
  • mdeforge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mdeforge polycounter lvl 14
    Ah, good point. I was assuming low-poly for some reason. Probably because of my lack of sleep!