Home General Discussion

3D Print!

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Wells polycounter lvl 18
I gots a model printed!

Here's a shot of the 3D source - modelled in an evening to try out a printing machine.

3556651049_b76f0640d1.jpg

Here's what got spat out. He's about 5 inches tall. Straight out of the machine, he's little rough around the edges and has an interesting surface quality, but it's solid ABS plastic, which means I can sand it down, paint it, melt it, do whatever the hell i want to... it's plastic. I was pretty pleased that it could handle the noodly arms and legs no problem.

Robit.jpg

Now, a question: I'm starting a business that would provide rapid prototyping, and I don't see why this couldn't include any 3D model you want made real. Would anyone be interested in this sort of thing? This is absolutely a prototype-quality print, but as I said you can class it up as much as you want, limited only to how much effort you're willing to put into it. I can easily get away with charging half of what's currently available on the market, perhaps less - I'm still working out exact pricing.

I figured since I'm going to be abusing the fuck out my machines to make everything I've ever modelled, why not open this up to the community? First step: seeing if there's even any interest.

Replies

• ericdigital
    Offline / Send Message
    ericdigital polycounter lvl 13
    haha cute lil' char. I think there could be a interest and even demand for it if, like you said the price was much lower than normal methods. I think it would be about finding the right price point that made warrenting the extra clean up work involved to be worth it. I know I would at least!
  • monkeyboy_garth
    Offline / Send Message
    monkeyboy_garth polycounter lvl 9
    That's awesome. If you were in Australia and I had something worth printing I'd totally do it. I'd love to fill my desk with crazy custom figurines I'd made!
  • Valandar
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    Dude, if I had a Rapid Prototyper or 3D Printer, not only would my desk be soon COVERED in critters and things, but I'd also be custom-making my own Transformers - or at least TF heads for custom figs. :D
  • ae.
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    I am working on a high-poly vehicle right now PM with some info how much would you charge and seeing as you dont live in canada how would shipping work?
  • Rens
    3d prints, thats sweet yum yum,

i would defenitly be interested
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I've got an interest in that - been meaning to get something 3D-printed for a while... just need to make something worth it.
    The current prices I've seen on a lot of sites are still a bit steep for my liking (although the price is dropping still), so I'd be very interested in bringing business your way if you could provide quality prints at lower cost :)
  • Microneezia
    Offline / Send Message
    Microneezia polycounter lvl 10
    Im totally interested!

Ive made some miniatures before, but used ultracal-30 for the mold and 2prt rubber for the casting material. I then had to paint the rubber with autobody paint, as a primer before i painted any final color texture onto it.

With abs its pretty much the same I think ya? are you priming it before you paint or can you paint directly?

Thats cool you can do that with abs, its so cheap!
  • Vailias
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Hell yes. ... If you can swing reasonable rates I'm redoing some of the Starsiege stuff in high rez.
  • oXYnary
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    You know, maybe you could hook something up with PC and the Dominance Winners. So that people could come here and buy a 3d printout of the winning one they liked. Where you add a surcharge that is used towards Polycount.
  • FAT_CAP
    Offline / Send Message
    FAT_CAP polycounter lvl 18
    I would be really interested in this! I've been wanting to get a 3D print done for ages but have never settled on a piece to print because of the high price point.

If the prices were right I would definately get my next model printed out.
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    sounds like a good idea to me and the quality seems just about good enough even before cleanup. Ive always wanted to try 3D printing but the costs are way to high at the moment. Arent you worried about the work you would have to do if you started getting loads of customers with various demands? it could turn into a proper business with a secretary and paperwork etc haha
  • Snowfly
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    Best material I've seen for a 3D print out ever. Haven't seen a lot, but everything that I have seen was powder based. Your guy looks like he could take a beating. :D

Yeah I'd be interested in getting something done by you.. I'd be your first Southeast Asian customer if I can get off my lazy ass and model :)
  • BradMyers82
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    nice test there, thanks for sharing.

YES! Very interested, and I do believe if the price is reasonable there would be a huge demand for this.
  • Marnik
    Offline / Send Message
    Marnik polycounter lvl 8
    Oh man, if I had a 3d printer I'd have tiny battle axes and swords all over my desk! How much are we talkin here? You may have some business coming out of Pittsburgh =D
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
  • sir-knight
    Offline / Send Message
    sir-knight polycounter lvl 10
    I wonder how super complex things would work in that machine... you'd probably have to split the model up with gluing joints and piece it back together when you get all the parts.

definitely interested :D
  • Parnell
    Offline / Send Message
    Parnell polycounter lvl 18
    Count me in!
    And you know exactly what I'd print;)
    mew?
    B
  • Slum
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome. I will get something made for sure.
  • glib
    I'll just chime in too. Definitely interested, how much?
  • Spark
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    Sectuars, I would love to have something as well, but know a few companies give some prints free to artists that allow them to use there art for future sales. Maybe you might want to see what can be created ( difficulty of mesh ) and have people post what they might like to have printed, and select a few to help each other out? Just a suggestion, as I know it is some cost to create a print, just not sure on how much.

Spark

P.S: Not trying to get mine for free, I would be happy to pay for a print, just thought it might be something cool to do, like a mini comp or such.
  • killingpeople
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    hee! noodle armed robot turned out great. pics of the printer plx! penis taaank!
  • Wells
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    wow, thanks for all the comments. I thought it would be of interest to you guys, but you never know...

I'm testing various, easy ways to sand down the models to get them nice and smooth for a nicer finish. If I can polish them at my end cost-effectively I'd be all for it.

ae - i'm not sure if taking international orders will be complicated or not, but i'm sure we'd be able to work something out :)

oxy - you know, that's a sweet idea. i'd def be down.

microneezia - if you take the model straight out of the machine, you should be able to paint it no problem. if it's a super-smooth sanded work of art, you'll need to either apply an abs primer or rough it up a bit with steel wool. will conduct tests!

sir-knight - no glueing! you can make as complex a piece as you want. interlocking gears, spheres inside of solid spheres, whatever you want

glib - final pricing hasn't been decided yet, but the robot cost less than a video game ;)

spark - you're right, and i was planning on getting you guys to submit a couple models of varying styles, polycount, detail etc. and printing them out for you, free or charge, so you guys can gauge the quality.

positive feedback is positive! i'll keep you guys updated
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    So out of interest, how much are the raw materials for this magical model machine? What are they, for that matter?
  • Jesse Moody
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    I have a good collection of things I would like to see printed. Sending ya a pm
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Sectaurs wrote: »
    glib - final pricing hasn't been decided yet, but the robot cost less than a video game ;)

Wow, you weren't kidding on the competitive pricing, I'm planning on doing some sculpts as gifts, I'll keep you in mind!
  • Jay Evans
    Offline / Send Message
    Jay Evans polycounter lvl 18
    Ya I'm always intrested in this stuff. You said you are starting a biz doing this? I assume you have access to a machine? I had similar ideas once apon a time, until i started reseaching the costs of high quality rapid prototyping machines. Crazy money.
  • PixelFish
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelFish polycounter lvl 17
    Neato. That kickstarts a lot of ideas in my head about things I'd want to make with my newly burgeoning 3d skills.
  • Xenobond
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    custom WAR minis, yes
  • BoBo_the_seal
  • Pedro Amorim
  • ericdigital
    Offline / Send Message
    ericdigital polycounter lvl 13
    hahaha brilliant, everyone should have that on there desk!
  • Psyk0
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    That'd be sweet, awesome deal for that price...and penis tank is first on the list! lolz
  • Cody
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
  • Holi
    Offline / Send Message
    Holi polycounter lvl 12
    I have a small project who is waiting to be finished and print, but it is way less cool than a penis tank... I'm in!
  • NyneDown
    Offline / Send Message
    NyneDown polycounter lvl 11
    hahaha...If you put the penis tank into mass production, I'll take 3 please! :P

But fo' sh0'...I'm game!
  • stoofoo
    Offline / Send Message
    stoofoo polycounter lvl 18
    gogogogog ian. im into it. talk to me honey bunches! ^T_^_^_^_^
  • Microneezia
    Offline / Send Message
    Microneezia polycounter lvl 10
    sorry for digging this up, but please update! hows this coming?

Also, heres something I was thinking of;

If you have a 3D model or "positive" and maybe you are able to take that, and make a "negative" or mold from it, then the consumer can mass produce my own!

so take the 3D model - and sub-d 2 cubes for top and bottom of a 2 part mold - boolean the positive into the middle of both halfs (crude description as more thought needed to create a mold), Then print those 2 cubes as the mold. add the injection and flow holes, done~! - that would be amazing!

I havent seen this offered with other 3D printers, but I think all of them can easily do it. there has to be a market for this?

I want one anyway. I want more than one.
  • Wells
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Micro - glad you're excited! The paperwork is all signed and we're officially an LLC. We've got the machine up and running and printing in glorious 3D.

BUT, we're not quite ready to open the gates. Need to iron out a few things, get the website going, etc. Shouldn't be long now, though. If all goes according to plan, I'll have some cool stuff to show off soon. :) If anyone is planning on hitting the San Diego ComicCon you'll be able to manhandle a print and let us know what you think. Find us at table N1 in the small press section.

Making molds is something we've definitely talked about - the others involved are big into custom vinyls and would love to be able to make short runs of characters [or environments...] That would be a bit down the road, however.

I'll be sure and update when there's news.
  • HandSandwich
    Offline / Send Message
    HandSandwich polycounter lvl 18
  • Jeremy Wright
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    I've very interested, if the price is reasonable. I've got no problem with doing my own sanding and painting.
  • MoJo
    You're welcome to anything i got to promote your business. I've got high poly models posed and ready to go!
  • aesir
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
  • Wells
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    love the horned guy in black.jpg!

if anyone wants an estimate on price, go ahead and send a .stl file to info@robotthecompany.com and we'll get back to you as quickly as possible.

http://www.pixologic.com/zbrush/down...nter/zplugins/ - might come in handy.

max dimensions are 6x6x8 inches.
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    would minimum wall thickness be similar to shapeways, like 2mm? Basically so we can hollow our model out to reduce the amount of material used thus lowering the price.

Also, what's the max polycount the machine can handle?
  • Mark Dygert
    Really cool buddy, really cool!

Micro, there are probably better ways to make a mold then to print the actual negative in 3D. Normally that involves coating your creation is some kind of silicone spray, and surrounding it in some kind of resin or plaster, normally half at a time. Then using that to make stronger negative for casting.

Depending on the material used I think you end up losing a bit of volume and your first print should be larger. At least that's how we did it when I worked At HO Sports and we made molds for water skis, wake boards and snowboards.
  • Wells
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Promised these a while ago, but things never go as smoothly as you'd like.

But now I can show off a nice little print we made with lots of high-detail, provided by polycount's very own katzeimsack (a.ka. Manuel Virks). I'm sure some of you will recognize the model.

Again, this is straight out of the machine. We'll be sanding down and cleaning up prints down the line for beauty shots and to show what's easily accomplished, but for now we want to be as transparent as possible and really let you guys see what you would be getting for your money.

Gird your loins for large images:

Otus_08.JPG

Otus_06.JPG

Otus_05.JPG

Otus_07.JPG

and I thought I'd throw this one in for kicks. AND AS A CAUTION.
    this is what could happen to your beautiful model if it is plagued by STL errors or rat's nests of polys due to decimation algorithms. (btw, I am personally responsible for all errors in this model, not kats)

STL%20Tales%20of%20Woe.JPG

that is a large MANS HAND right there. this thing ain't no joke.

Answers to Questions:

Max Polycount: After a lot of trial and error, we've come to the conclusion that you'll want your models at about a million or less. That's not a hard limit, but at the resolution you probably won't need to go higher, anyways.

Max Print Size: A single object being printed cannot exceed 6x6x8 inches. If you absolutely need it larger, cut it into two prints and glue them together.

Min Thickness
    : Min thickness of material is .03", or .75 mm. half of shapeways :p we can print thinner, but wouldn't feel comfortable shipping it.

Hollow out the Model for Super Saving: No. I'll say that again, you cagey consumers. No. That is not how our machine works, and would end up costing you more. Our program is very good about conserving material where it can and using the bare minimum inside to maintain structural integrity.

How Much (Pricing): I wish I could give you guys a price point that would be easily translatable to whatever you're working on, but for an accurate quote you'll really need to ask us for an estimate, which we will gladly do whenever and on whatever at no charge.

For a quick estimate, we charge $9.30 a cubic inch (~$0.57 per cubic cm) for material used.

Why this isn't 100% accurate for you, the user: Your model is not solid. Our program hollows it out on the inside into a devious honeycomb in order to use as little material as possible. Our machine uses two kinds of material, the ABS Plastic you see and a support material which is later dissolved away.
  • aesir
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    whoa craziness. Much liking.
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Sectaurs wrote: »
    Hollow out the Model for Super Saving: No. I'll say that again, you cagey consumers. No. That is not how our machine works, and would end up costing you more. Our program is very good about conserving material where it can and using the bare minimum inside to maintain structural integrity.

That's great news!
  • Muzzoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome. That owl has turned out pretty nicely.

Can you say how much it would cost to get something of that size / volume printed by you guys?