Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Yakuza (CCWS)

Hi,

this is my first post to this great community
and I wanted to introduce myself with the latest work of mine right away.

IMG%5Dyakuzabeautyshot01.png

I created this bad boy in Thomas Mahler's Character Creation Workshop he held in Games College Vienna (Austria).

The Workshop lasted about 2 months (2 units a week) and our main goal was to create a TF2 (Team Fortress) stylized character by using Thomas' gorgeous pipeline.

I hope you guys like it.

Feedback and crits are more than welcome!

yakuzahighres01.png

yakuzawireframes01.png

yakuzafinals01.png
yakuzatexturesheet01.png

cu,

Atilla

Replies

• snake85027
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snake85027 polycounter lvl 18
    dude thats fucking awesome! dont know why there hasnt been any responses to this.
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ polycounter lvl 14
    Welcome to polycount! :D

Excellent work you got there, and the beautyshot is awesome.
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord McMutton polycounter lvl 17
    Wonder of wonders, style of styles!
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Pretty cool, I like the style :)
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    nice style, just wandering why you posted the AO, as its already in the diffuse, is it used for any other rendering process?
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    Dude, I like the glowing barrels... though if he shot those guns at that point, he'd lose a hand. :D
  • Helixx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Helixx polygon
    Badass style man, welcome to polycount.
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Fantastic style! I love it!
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 18
    Welcome to Polycount.
    Nice work. If there's anything I'd want to mention it would be the tattoos. The don't convince me. Might be because they seem too crisp.
  • holygon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks GREAT! The only thing I can say is, I think the studded wrist band doesn't really fit with the whole yakuza thing in my personal opinion, other that that, it seems quiet flawless to me :) :thumbup:
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    I read the title as "Yakuza (COWS)" and was somewhat disappointed to learn that the character inside was not actually a heifer with crazy-awesome markings and a case of the angries.

However, my spirits picked up when I actually looked at the character. Really good work. That unwrap is impressively clean and well laid-out.

I notice the AO has some directional lighting to it. Did you do that so the details pop a little better?
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    The style is fantastic!
  • Axcel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axcel polycounter lvl 14
    Work has a style, but in my opinion, too many tris. :)

And you didn`t show render of back.
  • A.Ceylan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO wrote: »
    nice style, just wandering why you posted the AO, as its already in the diffuse, is it used for any other rendering process?

No, you're right. The AO you see in the texture sheet is only for the color map.
    But I do use it additionaly with the color map, when I'm working in Maya's high quality view. Since otherwise the scene is too dark and the colors don't look as bright as they should.
    I know, I could simply add a light source instead, but i prefer a constant light while working > Maya's default lighting.

holygon wrote: »
    Looks GREAT! The only thing I can say is, I think the studded wrist band doesn't really fit with the whole yakuza thing in my personal opinion, other that that, it seems quiet flawless to me :) :thumbup:

Well, you ain't alone there mate. Some people told me that already.
    The thing is just that I needed something else in the silhouette (imo) and since the Yakuza's overall look wasn't badass enough, I came up with the studded wristband.

Swizzle wrote: »
    However, my spirits picked up when I actually looked at the character. Really good work. That unwrap is impressively clean and well laid-out.

I notice the AO has some directional lighting to it. Did you do that so the details pop a little better?

The unwrap is really nothing special. Infact it is not good, 'cause I still have about 30% space left and we all know that every single pixel of a texture sheet should be used.

About the 'directional lighting' in the AO - there is none. I simply placed a plane below the character (bad mistake btw) and baked the AO with XNormals (HighRes to LowRes). Later some tweaking in Photoshop and that was pretty much it.
  • A.Ceylan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi,

-sorry for the double post-

first of all here's a quick gallery update.

yakuzabeautyshot2.png

And for those who are interested, I made a quick step-by-step tutorial on how I gave that character this angular look.

-Step 1- I first sculpted some muscles with Clay Tubes.
    -Step 2- Then I defined the 'hard edges' with the Standard Brush
    -Step 3- I used the Flatten Brush to straighten the large areas
    -Hint- While flatting out an area, change the perspective as you were looking down at it
    -Step 4- At last I pinched the 'hard edges' and smoothed out some ugly areas

stepbystep01.png

Thanks for all the nice comments so far!

cu,

Atilla
  • A.Kincade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A.Kincade polycounter lvl 9
    Wow. This is awesome.

Great texture work. I really like how the tats turned out. Not too many people can get that looking correct. You nailed it. Thanks for the tut as well. I love that angular look. Seemed to work out great for getting that AO.

Can't wait to see more. Keep up the great work.
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Cool technique, tho I think it would look a little bit better without the pinching step (using smooth or flatten on both side of the edge instead)

Cool back view!
    I would suggest adding a hint of an ankle in there, it looks a bit as if the feet are going through the base atm.
  • imb3nt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imb3nt polycounter lvl 14
    Really cool stuff! :thumbup:
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cool stuff! think the count is a bit high, but its still nice style and a nice final product! like the pinched style alot, proportions are very fun too. really dig the glasses

-Woog
  • A.Ceylan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A.Kincade wrote: »
    Wow. This is awesome.

Great texture work. I really like how the tats turned out. Not too many people can get that looking correct.

Thx, man. I guess you're the only one who likes the tats.

pior wrote: »
    Cool technique, tho I think it would look a little bit better without the pinching step (using smooth or flatten on both side of the edge instead)

I used the Smooth Brush more at the final model as I did in the tutorial, it looks a bit too angular indeed. Maybe you're right though, gotta watch out next time when I do a similar model to that.

woogity wrote: »
    cool stuff! think the count is a bit high, but its still nice style and a nice final product! like the pinched style alot, proportions are very fun too. really dig the glasses

-Woog

Polycount is 20.316 tris without the base but all the assets.

cu,

Atilla
  • jacob07777
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jacob07777 polycounter lvl 14
    This really did turn out awesome man, nothin to critique on the character he looks great. Although I would have liked to see as much detail on the gun as you put into the character ;) Great stuff though, can't wait to see more of your work
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryan Smith polycounter lvl 11
    Nice Shot man. Welcome to Polycount. Specularity for skin tends to have more of a blue-ish hue... It looks great right now, but i'd say experiment with it a bit to see what kind of result you get. You never know, you might like it more.
  • A.Ceylan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One last update for the Yakuza.

yakuzamainposefullright.jpg

yakuzamainposecloseupri.jpg

yakuzamainposecloseuple.jpg

yakuzamainposecloseupfr.jpg

yakuzamainposecloseupba.jpg

yakuzaactionposefulllef.jpg

yakuzaactionposecloseupl.jpg

yakuzaactionposecloseup.jpg

Thanks again for all your crits and comments.
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    WHOOOA pretty durn cool man!

you have some REaLLY nice values in most of the shadows, but the armpits, and crotch and the core shadow on the base fall into 100% black. I feel like the piece would sing if it had some subtly values in those dark places.

It might be good to push the gun back into the joint of the thumb a bit, and wrap the fingers around the grip a bit more. I realize the gun would clip into the hand, but it might make the grip on the gun look more dynamic. Maybe you already tried this, but if not I`m just throwin it out there.
  • Diwan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Diwan polycounter lvl 13
    Very cool style! Kinda reminds me of Vin Diesel :P Only part that bugs me a little is the arms, the forearm is bigger that the triceps, and he barely has any wrist.

Other than that, welcome to PC, way to go entering like a champ already! :P
  • soulstice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    soulstice polycounter lvl 9
    really cool model, love how the tats turn out! :) I agree with pior that adding a hint to his ankle would help sell it more.
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    really badass
    like it and the presentation adds alot to it
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sick style dude!
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    For how badass of a character this guy is, the first pose is really taking away from the character. The way he is leaning back appears almost uncomfortable rather than intimidating.

Your 2nd pose works a lot better and shows off the character. As for your work that went into this project, two thumbs up! Great work :D
  • mikezoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mikezoo polycounter lvl 14
    dude this is so sick! I love the amount of character and style you put into this guy. Inspires me to do some character busts.

I like the first set of images better than the later. His pose, does seem like hes falling backward a tad. Thats just me though. But to me, everything about the first image seems to pop more. the pose, the expression, everything. nice work.
  • 3dskillet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cool stuff

you should consider removing one of his fingers to show his loyalty :)
  • imb3nt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imb3nt polycounter lvl 14
    dudes ready to F S up.
  • kodiak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This makes me wish Valve would release a Yakuza themed variant team in TF2. Hahah.
    Its nice to dream...

But seriously, this guy, from his proportions to his execution is easily worthy of Valve's art department or any other's.

Great work.
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    I'd love to see this ingame/moving around :) I agree pior about the ankle though.
  • Canadian Ink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Canadian Ink polycounter lvl 12
    Looks awesome!...I always love seeing stylized characters over the kind of overdone gritty gears of war realism that seems to be pervasive in character design these days.
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 18
    Nice work dude. Really like the second pose and the characters attitude.
  • A.Ceylan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3dskillet wrote: »
    cool stuff

you should consider removing one of his fingers to show his loyalty :)

:) I thought about that during the creation process. But Thomas who did the workshop had already shown us a character, who was missing a finger.

And I just didn't want my class-mates pointing at me and telling me that I am stealing ideas.

But in my future designs I won't think that way anymore, so what ...
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    This guy reminds me of Johnny Gat from Saints Row, nice work!
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18