Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Weapons for GET Force Go!

Hey guys,

I'm working on a co-op third-person shooter game project with some friends using Unity. The game is going to be toony and cel-shaded, using diffuse textures almost exclusively.

I'm currently working on the game's weapons, so I thought I'd start a progress thread. The game has four weapons: pistol, assault rifle, shotgun, and rocket launcher.

My biggest struggle right now is making convincing textures. Any crits I can take would be greatly appreciated. Concepts were done by my friend, Allyn.

Assault Rifle
assault_concept.jpg

assault_wire_v1.jpg

Tris: 692

The sphere on the front is actually a whole sphere. In animation, that's going to be detachable as the ammo clip.

Shotgun
shotgun_concept.jpg

shotgun_wire_v1.jpg

shotgun_color_v1.jpg

Tris:
Map: 512x Diffuse

Replies

• Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    Hey Brody, good start. What kind of specs can you work with? do you JUST have Diffuse? can you use Normal/Spec?
  • BrodyB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Unity has good support for Alpha/Normal/Spec/Emissive. We're trying to go for a sort of Craig McCracken/Next Level Games toon style, so we're experimenting with having nothing but a diffuse and seeing if that's all we need to achieve the effect. The shotgun texture I have going right now is kind of an experiment, which I'm probably going to nix, as it just looks dirty as opposed to metalic.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    I don't know why people think that Toon=Diffuse only. It really doesn't. TF2 for instance uses normal and spec maps to great effect in support of a "toony" look.

Anyway, it's your bag, do what'cha like. Though, spec will help A LOT with selling metal. . .