Home General Discussion

Fans threaten to boycott left 4 dead 2...

Bronco
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Bronco polycounter lvl 18
hey guys,

Hope this hasn't been posted before.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/technology/2009/06/04/left-4-dead-fans-threaten-boycott-of-left-4-dead-2-115875-21415139/

Ive just read somewhere the number has now reached 15,000.

So, Whats your standing on this?

And will this make any difference what so ever at Valve?

Im not going to Boycott Left 4 Dead 2. Theres a simple reason for this and its the same for any other game as well. Ive had many hours of fun on L4D and I believe the hours ive put into the game and the hours the game has drawn me back for more (despite its repetitiveness) outweigh the cost of buying the game yet again (I bought 2 copies of Left 4 Dead so I could play 4 way LAN) and the same goes for updates, if Valve did release more updates and at a cost, id buy them.

However, my opinion when I heard at E3 of Left 4 Dead 2 was one of disappointment, Largely because of the promised updates for Left 4 Dead. I was disappointed with the survivor pack because it felt amateurish and wasn't well designed in my opinion.
Also I bought the game based on its CO-OP game play and the promise of updates since I love playing games with my dad (and sister) and he is off the pace meaning direct online gaming is out of the question, so CO-OP gaming has always suited us much better.
So the lack of new CO-OP levels is disappointing.

Some of you guys in the E3 thread pointed out that we cannot expect Valve to make stuff for free and I agree totally with this . However IF Valve are in financial trouble Id like to see them come out today, tomorrow, next week and say there situation and release TF2 add-ons for a small price,then L4D2 makes sense , but right now they are gonna end up losing even more money and shoot themselves in the foot due to disillusioned L4D fans.

As its stands from the very small amount i've seen of L4D2 it looks very similar to L4D and right now id like to see a discount for people who purchased L4D1 . However im giving Valve the benefit of the doubt for now and seeing what they can come up with to change my opinion.

John

Replies

• Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    I fully agree with everything you said and would like to add. I feel l4d2 feels a bit... amateurish. I mean. inci... fire rounds and melee weapons. It just doesn´t feel right. It feels gimmicky. Who the hell wants to run to a tank with a frying pan on expert? :/

It´s probably fun but hey, I can´t shake that feeling. I haven´t decided anything yet but i will probably buy it because as you said. It is a really fun game (When you play with friends)
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    I won't buy this one, no Zoey, no left 4 dead hahaha

jokes apart, i will surely buy it, because i know perfectly how much work is behind l4d2. It may be more of the same, but it deserves it imho.

People are very customed to download all for free (pirate), and that's not something good.

Left 4 dead gave me too much hours, and that's something i value a lot. If the new l4d has 4 campaigns, that won't be a problem for me because when i play TF2, i like to play in the same maps... and i see l4d as a good game with its versus mode (totally fun).

I paid much more for Gears of War PC, for its cooperative, and the game is so short, but a really enjoying experience with my bro. I finished the game more than 5 times hahaha.

BTW, i would have called l4d2 as "l4d:name of expansion", because there isn't graphical improvement at all hehe. It's up to Valve.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Personally, I'd rather have new levels for the original than a new game, but no one's forcing you to buy it and Valve are still going to be updating and supporting L4D with new stuff. It's not as if they're just dropping it completely for L4D2... so what's the big deal?
  • InProgress
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    InProgress polycounter lvl 14
    Honestly, I don't see what's the fans are bitching about. It's not like Valve is making games only for them. They should be happy that they are getting the updates they wanted, even if they have to pay again for the game.
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    Initial reaction was negative because I compared L4D to TF2. But if you compare it with most other games, it doesn't seem so bad. Its kinda like what happened with CoD4 and CoD5, except by the same developer.

Lets hope the sequel is an improvement, either way I'm still going to buy it anyway just to play with new maps. It would be nice if things were backwards compatible, so l4d1 maps can be played on l4d2 with the addition of the new AI/weapons/special infected and we can pick from all 8 survivors in versus mode.
  • ericdigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ericdigital polycounter lvl 13
    I think the thing that struck me was not the fact that its something you would have to pay for again, but why not make it an expansion, or DLC that you can purchase for L4D. Like Blazier mentioned it doesn't really appear to have any graphical or engine based upgrades, simply more features and tighter mechanics. I feel like releasing the goods as an L4D expansion wouldn't have riled up the community as much I suppose?
  • kwakkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kwakkie polycounter lvl 12
    Isnt L4D2 basically just a mod? I can totally understand the fans, they should release this as paid DLC, wouldnt pay more than 10$ for this.
  • Slainean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slainean polycounter lvl 18
    Talon wrote: »
    Personally, I'd rather have new levels for the original than a new game, but no one's forcing you to buy it and Valve are still going to be updating and supporting L4D with new stuff. It's not as if they're just dropping it completely for L4D2... so what's the big deal?

In that respect, I feel the fans are right in thinking that it would split up the community and cut the lifespan of both games a bit shorter. I know there are supposed to be engine updates, but I'd rather have content for the L4D minus those features. I think a priced DLC approach would have been a smart compromise.

And yeah, it didn't occur to me during E3 but incendiary rounds totally sound like a 1990s FPS feature, haha.
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    I'm gonna buy this one, simply because I didn't buy the first L4D (just tried the demo which was awesome, btw). If L4D2 is like L4D1 with more features and more environments, then, it sounds like a good plan for me to buy this "second" opus. One question, though : I'm wondering about compatibility between both games. I'd like to be able to play all campaigns :)

As a side note, I could "understand" the point of the guys bitching against Valve on this one. I think it has more to do with the fact Valve promised (?) upgrades for free (like they are basically doing with most of their games, now) and now, it looks like they are hiding this big update behind a new game's jacket labeled as a next game ;) It's common in the industry, but the difference here is that they (fans) thought that Valve wouldn't do that :)

Anyways, can't wait to give it a try !
  • Rox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rox
    The thing that feels strange to me is how flexible L4D was supposed to be. Valve explained how, because of how awesome their AI is, modders will be able to make levels from scratch and basically implement no NPCs at all because the AI director can take care of all of that on the fly, and because of that you can make all kinds of crazy complex levels and they'll last forever because the rhythm is decided by the AI director. Even just those four campaigns were supposed to last for ages because of it. And yeah, they sort of did. But then what, what happens when they started to go slightly stale? What to do with that easily modifiable game with the on-the-fly AI that can apparently make each playthrough different?

Oh, I know, let's make a new game! And on top of that, let's ditch the graphical style of the first game, which I loved and would love to see more of, for a much more generic looking FPS environment. As well as the first game's characters which I bet most people would love to see and hear more of because their personalities were so very well defined and entertaining.

It feels sort of like they had a very good thing going which could easily be expanded on, then decided to not take advantage of any of that at all.
  • dehebo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i'm sure valve will still survive without these guys buying L4D2, and frankly a decent percentage(or high) of these guys will get it anyway.

And as someone else said Valve ain't there to make games for free; sure they made sone implication regarding L4D, but hell things change.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    I'm hoping that L4D1 will be able to be merged into L4D2, sort of a reverse-expansion type thing. They've said that community made maps should be able to be brought in ok, so hopefully the existing campaigns will. I think that would also help reduce the community division a bit.
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onionhead_o polycounter lvl 16
    when i first heard about L4D2, Im like hm.. lets check it out. But once i saw it , i was like WTF. why did i buy the first game. why cant they add the melee weapons to the first game. Im not a fan of the first one but i own it. But seriously they should not charge L4D owners full price for the L4D2.
  • pyromania
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pyromania polycounter lvl 18
    The melee weapons killed it for me. I won't be buying this. L4D is about sticking together as a team and gunning down zombies. If I want to go hit zombies with frying pans I'll go play Dead Rising. So now we are going to have teammates running off with the axe trying to melee a tank instead of sticking with the team.
  • Kovac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kovac polycounter lvl 18
    pyromania wrote: »
    The melee weapons killed it for me. I won't be buying this. L4D is about sticking together as a team and gunning down zombies. If I want to go hit zombies with frying pans I'll go play Dead Rising. So now we are going to have teammates running off with the axe trying to melee a tank instead of sticking with the team.

That would happen just the same as a ranged weapon... it's totally based on how you play it and with whom. It should be fine as long as Valve doesn't decide to make achievements for that kinda crap and give too many incentives to rambo with the melee. I think MAG (zipper int's new socom style game) keeps a simple but effective strategy of an area of influence where you're largely benefited by being near your team's radius, be it damage, health, etc.

I would love to organize a chainsaw phalanx of some sort to mow down waves of zombies.
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daaark polycounter lvl 17
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    pyromania wrote: »

ha. i like you telling the devs what their game is about.

i think this boycott is retarded, and i hate everyone who signed it. EVEN YOU
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks like more L4D fun, I'll buy it. If you don't like it mod it into something you do. If you're not willing to do that then go play something else.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    I firmly believe the best way to communicate your POV is to speak with their wallets.

Don't buy it if you feel L4D was not worth your money.

I personally believe it was an amazing experience that was well worth the $20 I dished out for it.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    people not buying something they don't like the look of?

SHOCKER
  • Parnell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Parnell polycounter lvl 18
    This boycott is totally retarded and pathetic.
    Probably all of the people that signed it will play it because they actually went to the trouble of signing a stupid petition about it. The interesting thing will be how many of them buy it or pirate it and then come up with some stupid bull shit reason why they pirated it.
    B
  • breakneck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    breakneck polycounter lvl 13
    oh how i love that angry people always have something negative to say. I bet this is the same gang of idots that rage quit if their team dies in the first level of vs. mode. L4D is worth the money and I will probably buy L4D2. We all should be very grateful that we even have this thing call free DLC. Ehhh, idots piss me off. I personally would like more half life news rather than a L4D sequel - but whatever.
  • sicsided
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reminds me of what happened to the first Call of Duty on PC, and the expansion Call of Duty United Offense. Both great games, same gameplay, except different locations and the multiplayer was quite different. If you wanted more open world, vehicle gameplay, you played United Offense. If you wanted the tight fasted paced Deathmatch/Search and Destroy, you played the original. I know me and plenty of friends that played it back in the day didn't mind switching back and forth. With that said, I see this as you want midnight missions in the northern part of the US? Play L4D. You want to play in the south, in the daytime? Play L4D2. Although United Offense was an expansion, and at $30 instead of $50. I feel the price should be around $30 as well for this, if not a bit more. Just feels like an expansion, but I'll be buying it still.
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    I never bought l4d - wanted to but got busy and stuff and missed out on the popularity phase with friends. Is it true that l4d2 is going to be 60 bux? I thought 1 was a lot cheaper. 60 seems a bit high for a steam download. I recall way back when steam was born that part of the motivation for creating it was to cut down on the cost of games. No distribution or publishing costs to drain the dev's income so they could charge a lot less. 60 doesn't seem like a lot less for what strikes me as an outsider as more of an expansion. Not complaining... more or less just wondering aloud. I'll probably buy this time around if I see enough interest in friends/coworkers around me. Though I might keep my eyes open for a discount.
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    I`ll buy that shit if its 60 bux sadly. dont want too but the content is SOOO good 60 bux is the max id pay-
    I hope they have more content than 4 levels. that had weak sauce written all over it. if there was 10+ levels I`d drop 80 bucks easily.

which begs the question, how much is a single level worth to you guys?
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    They said 5 full campaigns, all also available in versus, which is fine by me, would just be great if you could add the 4 original campaigns to it.

This boycott is a joke, I'll be preordering this as soon as I can. :D
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    these aren't fans.

I'd prefer DLC but whatever, if it's enough new content to justify a purchase then it's day 1 from me.

my biggest gripe is if we dont have all the content accessible from one hub. I'd like to join an L4D server and have it contain ALL the maps and characters.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    This boycott seems silly. If you aren't already a fan of Left 4 Dead, it is unlikely that you are going to rush out to get Left 4 Dead 2. And if you ARE a fan of Left 4 Dead, you would likely play the sequel more than enough to justify spending an additional $50.

The sequel isn't going to be smaller than the original, is it? No. They've already stated that it will in fact feature more levels, and improved features. I really don't see what the problem is. (of course, I bought L4D 50% during one of Steam's weekend sales)
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valve needs to release the names of those protesters, and send Jay and Silent Bob to their doorstep.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjWFZPJZTxU[/ame]
  • Mark.N
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lol yeah that'd be great Daaark.

I'm still a bit on the fence for this one. I really did enjoy L4D and put way too many hours in to the game, but it almost seems as if it's too soon for a full release of a new game. Especially when you consider how long it took them to finally get L4D1 up to speed with where it should have been at release.

I'm really interested to see how L4D2 pans out, especially now that Valve has been at the helm for the full project, rather than buying it part way through. Hopefully the amount of content in L4D2 will make up for such a quick release, especially if things like the new game types are awesome.

There really isn't any point boycotting the game or even just saying it'll be bad etc...just isn't enough info on the game yet.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    One aspect of this that people seem to be forgetting is the fact that Valve were originally going to charge for the L4D updates. There was (as per usual) a public outcry, after which Valve relented. The result of this is that we're paying in one big chunk instead of incrementally.
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There is never really a public outcry. It's as per usual, a small, vocal, minority.
  • jouste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jouste polycounter lvl 14
    i'm a big fan of L4D but did anyone else think it felt really prototypey? the whole game felt like valve was saying "ok look, we got something really awesome here and it's gonna be great. but we just need to get all our shit together so we can really blow your minds".

and it sounds like they had so much great new stuff that it would require a whole new game. like come on, new characters? new venues? new weapons and enemies? that's getting "patched" into the first one? with NO problems?

please.

this is gonna be super, and valve deserves the cash cause they've been so good to us with free content and updates on their other titles.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    If it has better versus maps I'll buy it. I loved the hell out of L4D, although the update that added Dead Air and Death Toll as versus maps sucked because the maps do not feel balanced for versus mode at all - it seemed like a major case of artificial DLC, even if it was free - the maps were barely changed for versus and I don't see why they weren't included in the original. Survivor mode is gimmicky and feels very unpolished - I've spent about 30 minutes with it and have no intention of ever going back.

No Mercy is easily the best 5 maps in the game and I've probably dropped 30 hours on No Mercy, so I definitely feel like L4D gave me my money's worth. Versus mode is great.

If L4D2 adds party vs party gameplay (why this wasn't included in the original I don't get - pubstomps are fun when you're stomping the pubs, but getting two indepedently organized teams together is impossible. Although I've got enough people in my friends network to fill up 8 player games, or at least I did when the game was new) I'll buy it. If it has 5 maps as good as No Mercy I'll buy it. I'm worried that they're focusing too much on the co-op game, though, which really isn't the point of the game, imho. It doesn't have enough going on in co-op to make it a really solid experience there - it has all the components of versus mode, but it feels like playing versus against bots rather than a real singleplayer experience.

But if there is a campaign as good as No Mercy and party vs party I'll buy the hell out of it.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I liked it better when these types of things involved pitch forks, torches and actual organized effort. I also liked that they where easily defended against with a moat and or hot bubbling oil...

Anyone know if you can create replacement models for L4D characters? I'd like to replace the witch with one of these guys... Seems fitting considering they both do about the same amount of crying.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    I think the idea that every sequel has to showcase major engine improvements is dumb. The concept that Valve has to give major amounts of free content is dumb.

That said, I was never impressed with what I saw in L4D1, and think L4D2 looks even worse.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    its all about the gameplay tho, rather than eye candy.. i wondered around UT4 with my jaw on the floor, but I only played the game four or five times before I was bored. play l4d every day and I'm not sick of it.

definately think the boycott is silly.. l4d1 was fantastic entertainment value, and I'm sure 2 will be as well. valve havent let us down yet
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Sorry folks, I can't find any reason to complain.

Valve has always delivered MORE than they have led us to expect. Which is clear contrast to the rest of the PC game industry. They've given consistent FREE content and gameplay updates to one of the most fun multiplayer FPS games atm. Time after time they've offered their games at huge discount prices. They gave us Steam, which is the only reason why I still buy some PC games these days. They have encouraged and supported the mod community, in addition to providing free tools to create even more. They gave us the companion cube.

All those complaining will buy it anyway. And they know why.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree I feel like I still should be making payments on HL1. Literally gave me years of enjoyment.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    What bugs me is that there's nothing that warrants a whole new game. It's new missions, new characters, new weapons and zombies. Why a whole a new boxed game? Why not sell it as an expansion? Even if it's full price. I have to boot up a whole other game in order to play, which is just...annoying. Why can't I just play across all 9 campaigns in one damn game! :\
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with that. Hopefully they pull some magic crap out of their ass that warrants the title of sequel. I'm also not sure how much asset sharing will go back and forth between the two and how much redundant content is going to be installed because its a new game? Maybe the installer will do some crafty asset checking and not flood my HD with a ton of crap I already have.

It would be funny if they planned it as a pay expansion, called it a sequel to generate nerd rage and then the fans feel a huge ego stroke when "big corporate Valve" bends to the little guys demand further ingraining Valve as a company that gives and cares. I kind of hope they don't bend, and release a great experience well worth being called a sequel.

But I'll buy, play and have fun, I won't be buying it for engine upgrades or jaw dropping graphics. Well the new slack jaws could drop theirs but that's not what I mean.
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pope Adam polycounter lvl 11
    grabbin peels...
  • Murdoc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Murdoc polycounter lvl 11
    Cutty from the Wire does a voice... I really hate to say it but that sold the game to me, I suck so much...
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    hahah people are such whiners. its 50 or 60 bucks, chances are you have gotten more than your moneys worth outta the original if you own it.

I pay 60 bucks for a game that ill play for 10 hours single player and then it sits on my shelf, im not complaining over something that gives me weeks worth of evenings of enjoyment with my buddies.

I was a bit shocked to hear it announced but then with all the whining over how valve takes so long to put out their games, obviously people will find anything to bitch about. somebody call the wahmbulance. people these days, i tell ya, the average consumer thinks the world owes them everything.

seriously 50 bucks isnt anything to start a protest over or even get bent outta shape about, thats not even a round at most bars. online boycotts/protests are always amusing though because they never change a damn thing :P
  • Carbon14
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Carbon14 polycounter lvl 10
    I don't have a problem with L4D2, I just don't want it destroying the original for me. The content looks totally uninteresting to me, I dislike the characters, the setting, the music, and the overall appearance of the thing (incendiary rounds? seriously? Did I miss one of the survivors being Harry Potter?). However it looks like I will practically be forced into buying it because the mappers and content creators will most likely move to the new game, half the players will, and here in Australia it is more than likely the original game will simply die. Especially given apparently the old maps are playable in the new game.

I really do not appreciate having my previous purchase pretty much destroyed by a pointless sequel. If L4D2 was on a new engine, was actually different and not just a reskinned and modded L4D1 then maybe I could see the point in this not being an expansion/update, but as it is, I certainly can't.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Yozora wrote: »
    Its kinda like what happened with CoD4 and CoD5, except by the same developer.

Difference is those were both full fledged games, although I love L4D it is only 4 maps. And for most of the time it was only 2 online maps. Compared to games that come out yearly like CoD they have many more maps and a lot more depth in single player and multilayer.

I will just do what I did for L4D one and wait for them to put in on a weekend sale.

I also think the daylight stuff is kinda lame. To bright, not scary, it loses its stylized darkness that made L4D really cool. Maybe if all the cast shadows are super dark then it could be cool, hide there and pounce survivors or something but I didnt really see that from the vids.
  • sicsided
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon wrote: »
    Difference is those were both full fledged games, although I love L4D it is only 4 maps. And for most of the time it was only 2 online maps. Compared to games that come out yearly like CoD they have many more maps and a lot more depth in single player and multilayer.

I will just do what I did for L4D one and wait for them to put in on a weekend sale.

I also think the daylight stuff is kinda lame. To bright, not scary, it loses its stylized darkness that made L4D really cool. Maybe if all the cast shadows are super dark then it could be cool, hide there and pounce survivors or something but I didnt really see that from the vids.

I really think they are going to rely on the weather system to provide darkness now, which I think would be great.
  • Rox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rox
    I'm going to miss the darkness, too. Especially after hearing the commentary about how they designed the levels to be dark but still have a lot of light sources by using things like flipped cars and fires, so they could keep the streetlights out and windows dark and still keep that "the city is dead" feel throughout the whole thing.

Not to mention, when playing through the game the first time, alone, I only remember feeling kinda stuck once or twice. I never once wondered where I should go. I can't put my finger exactly on what it was, but there was always something that let me know where to go the instant I entered a new area. I think lighting had a lot to do with it. Everything was dark and misty except for a narrow little path of completely natural looking lights leading to the next saferoom. And not once did I feel boxed in even though I was, because I do NOT EVER want to wander out into the darkness. The city felt pretty open despite being basically a series of corridors because of the threatening environment. It'll be extremely hard to pull that off in a daytime environment.

And that's why I'd rather see a new campaign or two for the first game! I hope not all of L4D2 takes place during the day.
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    I cant help but feel this has something to do with Live and how Microsoft deals with updated content/ downloadable content.

We havent yet seen updates to the console versions of the Orange box did we? I think part of it is that Microsoft would want to charge for these updates and Valve would probably want to avoid screwing over the console owners by forcing people to pay for updates that should be free.

Shipping a brand new game would make sense for consoles because valve's update strategy for Steam cant directly be translated to XLive. Noticing that there isnt a PS3 skew so they must want to have a fresh start with the Xbox.