Home General Discussion

mods and NDA'S

I have been working on a mod for almost 1 year.

I was handed over a NDA by one of the self-proclaimed producers to sign it.

From that day on, situation got worse and worse.

I left, right now they are changing my existing content and claiming it as their own.

He says He claims to own the right of my work, because I signed a NDA.

Is that even possible?

Replies

• Vredesbyrd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have been working on a mod for almost 1 year.

I was handed over a NDA by one of the self-proclaimed producers to sign it.

From that day on, situation got worse and worse.

I left, right now they are changing my existing content and claiming it as their own.

He says He claims to own the right of my work, because I signed a NDA.

Is that even possible?

This is not a company this is a mod.
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    I'd say it depends on what was in the NDA.
  • Vredesbyrd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Non-Disclosure Agreement (Confidential Information)

WHEREAS:
    1. The Client and the Independent Contractor are currently considering a business
    relationship involving certain computer technology;
    2. The parties can only properly negotiate such a business relationship if there is disclosure
    between the parties of "Confidential Information" which is more fully defined in paragraph 1;
    3. As a result, the parties wish to define their rights with respect to the said Confidential
    Information and to protect the rights of the Client and its affiliates to such Confidential Information;
    IN CONSIDERATION of the respective covenants and agreements hereinafter contained and for other
    good and valuable consideration (the receipt and sufficiency of which are hereby acknowledged) it
    is hereby agreed as follows:
    1. Definitions
    As used in this agreement, in any amendment hereof, in any documents to be executed and
    delivered pursuant to this agreement and in any documents executed and delivered in connection
    with the completion of any activities contemplated herein, the following words and phrases shall
    have the following meanings respectively:
    (a) "Confidential Information" means material in the possession of the Client which is
    not generally available to or used by others or the utility or value of which is not
    generally known or recognized as standard practice, whether or not the underlying
    details are in the public domain, including, without limitation, all Business
    Information, Computer Software and Computer Technology whether patentable,
    copyrightable or not, which is acquired or developed by or on behalf of the Client
    from time to time.
    (b) "Business Information" means all,
    (i) financial business and personal data relating to clients, affiliates,
    subsidiaries, consultants and employees of the Client;
    (ii) business and marketing plans, strategies and methods which are not standard
    industry practice, or which are not generally known in the industry, and
    (iii) studies, charts, plans, tables and compilations of business and industrial
    information acquired or prepared by or on behalf of the Client.
    (c) "Computer Software" means:
    (i) all sets of statements or instructions, in either human readable or machine
    readable form, that are expressed, fixed, embodied or stored in any manner
    and that can be used directly or indirectly in a computer ("Computer
    Programs");
    (ii) any report format, design or drawing produced by the Computer Programs,
    and
    (iii) all documentation, design specifications and charts, and operating
    procedures which support the Computer Programs.
    (d) "Computer Technology" means all scientific and technical information or material
    pertaining to any machine, appliance or process, including specifications, proposals,
    models, designs, formulae, test results and reports, analyses, simulation results,
    tables of operating conditions, materials, components, industrial skills, operating
    and testing procedures, shop practices, know-how and show-how.
    2. Limitations on Confidential Information
    The Confidential Information shall not include and the Independent Contractor shall have
    no obligation with respect to any Business Information, Computer Software or Computer
    Technology which:
    (a) is disclosed to the Independent Contractor by a third party who is acting
    independently and at arm's length from the Independent Contractor and without
    knowledge of the contents of this agreement and who acquires and delivers the
    information lawfully and without breach of any agreement, including the
    Independent Contractor's breach of this agreement;
    (b) has been, is being or will be developed by the Independent Contractor or its parent,
    subsidiaries, associates or affiliates independently of the Confidential Information
    gained pursuant to this agreement, but only in circumstances whereby the
    Independent Contractor can provide to the Client, on demand, evidence of the
    independence of such development which would be in a form and of a nature
    acceptable to a Canadian court of law, or
    (c) is already in the public domain or becomes so.
    3. Term
    (1) The term of this agreement shall be for a period of five (5) years, commencing from the
    date of first delivery of any Confidential Information by the Client to the Independent Contractor
    and upon termination of this agreement, all obligations and duties of the Independent Contractor
    hereunder shall be at an end.
    (2) The Independent Contractor hereby agrees that any information which falls within the
    definition of Confidential Information and which was disclosed or provided to the Independent
    Contractor by the Client or an agent or an affiliate of the Client prior to the Independent
    Contractor's signing of this agreement, shall be deemed to be included in and covered by the terms
    and conditions of this agreement.
    4. Communication of and Title to Developments
    (1) The Independent Contractor shall communicate to the Client promptly and fully all
    inventions, discoveries, concepts and ideas whether patentable or not including but not limited to
    hardware and apparatus, processes and methods, formulas, computer programs and techniques, as
    well as improvements thereof and knowledge related thereto (the "Developments") conceived,
    completed, or reduced to practice (whether solely by the Independent Contractor or jointly with
    others) during the period of the Independent Contractor's work for the Client:
    (a) which are related to the present or prospective business, work, or investigations of
    the Client;
    (b) which result from any work the Independent Contractor performs with the use of
    any equipment, facilities, materials or personnel of the company, or
    (c) which result from or are suggested by any work which the Independent Contractor
    does for or on behalf of the Client.
    (2) The Independent Contractor hereby assigns to the Client or to the Client's designee its
    entire right, title and interest in and to all such Developments and all copyright and mask work
    rights in such Developments and any patent applications filed and patents granted thereon including
    those in foreign countries. The Independent Contractor further agrees both during its work with the
    Client and thereafter to execute any patent papers covering such Developments as well as any
    papers that the Client may consider necessary or helpful in obtaining or maintaining said patents
    during the prosecution of patent applications thereon or during the conduct of any interference,
    litigation or any other matter in connection therewith. It is understood and agreed that all expenses
    incident to the filing of such applications, the prosecution thereof and the conduct of any such
    interference, litigation, or other controversy shall be borne by the Client.
    5. Non-disclosure
    Except as the Client may otherwise consent in writing, the Independent Contractor shall not
    use other than for the Client and not directly or indirectly publish or otherwise disclose at any time
    (except as the Independent Contractor's duties for the Client require) either during or subsequent to
    the Independent Contractor’s work, any of the Client's Confidential Information (whether or not
    conceived, originated, discovered, or developed in whole or in part by the Independent Contractor).
    6. Copies and Distribution
    The Confidential Information shall not be mechanically or electronically copied or
    otherwise reproduced by the Independent Contractor without the express written permission of the
    Client, except for such copies as the Independent Contractor may reasonably require for its use
    pursuant to this agreement. In addition, the Independent Contractor agrees that it shall not sell,
    assign, sublicense or part with possession of or otherwise transfer or dispose of the Confidential
    Information or any copies thereof, except as expressly provided in this agreement.
    7. Ownership
    The Independent Contractor hereby acknowledges that, as between itself and the Client, the
    Client is and shall remain the sole owner of all right, title and interest in the Confidential
    Information, including, but not limited to any and all rights in copyright, patent, trade secret and
    trade mark, and the Confidential Information and all copies thereof which are supplied to the
    Independent Contractor by the Client shall be held in trust by the Independent Contractor for the
    benefit of the Client only.
    8. Return of Confidential Information
    The Independent Contractor shall deliver to the Client promptly upon request or on the date
    of termination of the Independent Contractor's work for the Client all documents, copies thereof and
    other materials in the Independent Contractor's possession or under its power or control pertaining
    to the business of the Client, including, but not limited to, Confidential Information, and thereafter
    promptly to return documents and copies thereof pertaining to the business of the Client and
    originating with the company that come into the Independent Contractor's possession. In the
    alternative, if so directed by the Client, the Independent Contractor shall destroy such Confidential
    Information, documents and other materials and copies thereof and shall furnish proof of such
    destruction to the reasonable satisfaction of the Client.
    9. Scope of Agreement
    (1) Neither party hereunder shall acquire by virtue of this agreement any right, capacity or
    power to act as an agent for the other or to bind the other to any other person, firm, or corporation,
    except as is necessary to carry out the purpose and intent of this agreement.
    (2) The Independent Contractor hereby specifically acknowledges that this agreement shall
    in no way detract from or limit the power of the Client to carry on any other negotiations or
    otherwise deal with its Confidential Information in any manner whatsoever.
    (3) The provision of the Confidential Information to the Independent Contractor shall be at
    the sole discretion of the Client and nothing in this agreement shall obligate the Client to disclose,
    or grant access to any particular Confidential Information to the Independent Contractor.
    10. Representations
    (1) The Client hereby represents and warrants that it has all such rights and powers as are
    necessary for it to enter into this agreement and to disclose the Confidential Information to the
    Independent Contractor as contemplated by this agreement.
    (2) The Independent Contractor represents and warrants that it is not now a party to and
    agrees not to enter into any agreement, business relationship or to incur any obligations which may
    be in conflict with this agreement.
    11. Indemnification
    The Independent Contractor hereby agrees to indemnify the company and save it harmless
    for any and all losses, expenses, costs, including legal costs, and damages resulting directly or
    indirectly from the actions of:
    (a) the officers, employees and agents of the Independent Contractor;
    (b) the officers, employees and agents of the parent corporation or any affiliate or
    subsidiary corporation of the Independent Contractor, or
    (c) any other party who obtains access to the Confidential Information either on or off
    the Independent Contractor's premises as a result of the Independent Contractor's
    negligence or its failure to comply with the terms of this agreement.
    (2) This indemnification shall survive the termination of this agreement and shall not detract
    in any way from any other rights or remedy which the Client may have under this agreement or
    otherwise in law or in equity.
    12. Governing Law
    This Agreement shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the
    Province of Ontario, Canada.
    13. Entire Agreement
    This Agreement constitutes the sole understanding of the parties about this subject matter
    and may not be amended or modified except in writing signed by each of the parties to the
    Agreement.
    This Agreement, consisting of six (6) pages, including this page, is entered into this 23rd day of
    January 2009.
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    in accordance with the laws of the
    Province of Ontario, Canada.

therein lies the answer
  • Vredesbyrd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am not canadian I cannot be owned by these parasites?
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    no, that was just a joke.

i dont have much professional experience with this type of stuff. theyre not even a LLC? worst that can happen is them taking you to some lowly court.

but what do you plan to do with the stuff you made there? personal portfolio?
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    From my understanding, I'm not bothering to read this "NDA" you posted, but there's a difference between NDAs and contracts. So, I don't think he (they) really have the rights to your work...but man, it's a mod, it's not like the guy is screwing you out of money or anything like that. Unless he is actually making money off of your work and not giving you credit/pay, I wouldn't get too worked up over it, you'd still have the art you created for it which, in the end, is pretty much the reason for doing mod work..right?

Edit. So, I don't think they "own the rights" to your work because you signed an NDA, I'd say they own the rights to your work because you participated in their project, thus giving them permission to do with it as they please.
  • Vredesbyrd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    They tell me I cannot use the work, I build for portfolio.
    I have plans to use the content I build that mod with a existing mod.

These plans are clearly ruined today.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    Um, I think you screwed.

Section 1 says pretty much anything you work on for them is covered by the NDA and Section 7 says that anything that is covered by the NDA is owned by them. That said, if you are serious, I would get laywer.
  • Campaignjunkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Campaignjunkie polycounter lvl 18
    (Amateur lawyer hat) if you signed it then I think it's legally binding under most systems of common law, whether you read it or not, whether you thought it was serious or not.

(Fellow modder hat) they're a freakin' mod, it's your work, and they won't waste the time to sue you for breach of contract (what monetary compensation can they claim anyway, if it's all volunteer for what would be a free product?) - put it on your portfolio, call their bluff.
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    edit: whoops, misread something.

yeah, section 7 states that the client owns all the contractor's stuff... but this does sound very shady, clearly. this guy is a sleeze bag.

for one, i doubt very seriously he's goign to take legal action. he sounds like a bully.

This sounds like bullshit. NDAs are not supposed to transfer ownership of materials, as far as i can tell. this very well might be illegal.. but i don't know.

surely, you can't give someone an "NDA" and then in the middle of it somewhere say "and the contractor owes us a hundred million dollars too" because that would be manipulative bullshit.

you should read what you sign, but even so, this is really fucked.
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    They gave you a contract. You signed the contract. They own your work now.

Don't like it? Then learn to read things before you sign them!
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    what monetary compensation can they claim anyway, if it's all volunteer for what would be a free product?

This is a really great point
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    This NDA seems less about sharing and more about taking! It's a darn greedy thing. I thought working on a volunteer team was about sharing talents, not manipulating people. :\
  • Xenobond
  • sicsided
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    do NDAs have to be notarized? Is this one?
  • NyneDown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NyneDown polycounter lvl 11
    Have you tried asking him/them if you could use what you created for your personal portfolio?

And if someone asked me to sign an NDA for a gaming mod...I think that would immediately throw up some red flags.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    yeah I would pass on mod teams that have NDAs or contracts....I'd be leary of Mods with producers....or Idea guys whos ony contribution is being in charge.. plus I think contracts are not legally binding in canada unless you sign in mooseblood
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    if they are not benefiting in any monetary way then they really dont have shit to sue you for. I love when mods try to be all big boy like and try to bully anyone who quits.

my response would be suck on deez nutz. do you seriously think this dude will go to the trouble of hiring a lawyer and attempting to track you down and create an international lawsuit? that would cost him thousands of dollars to even get it started and seeing as a mod makes no income how would he ever prove damages and recoupe any money. its just some cockaius trying to bully you.

if they were paying you then it would be another story as they would have been compensating you for your time and then it would be more serious. I wouldnt argue the fact that they have the right to use your assets you provided them, but for a free mod to tell you you dont have the right to your own work, fuck off.

chances are the mod will never be released like 90% of them anyways so i dont think its worth worrying over.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    I think PixelMasher said it perfectly there. I can't believe this mod actually had you sign a NDA and then did this. Completely ridiculous.
  • Cojax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cojax polycounter lvl 10
    lol. No international court would take this seriously if he decided to take you on. Post the your stuff, chances are nothing will happen. It's non-profit on both sides.
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    do you want to use the work for another mod project?
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    Go ahead and do what ever you want, thats the most laughable NDA Ive ever read..And youre a fool for signing it in the first place..
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    What the hell, now I have a compulsive need to see the models you created for them. Screw that shady nda and post them in this thread already! Also, I think it might not be the best move to share the work you did for them with some other mod, but f' them if they think they can disallow you to use the stuff for your personal portfolio.

The way I see it, this mod = no money, your portfolio = potential money. Maybe you should sue them instead?
  • Vredesbyrd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its getting complicated.
    I am part of the Haunted MOD , phase 2 winner of MSU.
    I wish to merge the content I made for these parasites with Haunted MOD.

They forced me to SIGN THE GODDAMN NDA after I spent 8 months working full time or I would get kicked out.
    I would have stayed if idea guy was actually doing REAL WORK.

I was foolish enough to think that a NDA cannot hold any ownership rights, so I signed it.

I trusted him, so I get fucked over right now..

Any idea's to expose this on a further level?
  • ericdigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ericdigital polycounter lvl 13
    Why would you join a mod that made you sign something, especially not being paid. It sound's like after being phase 2 winner they got cocky and tried to step it up a notch I suppose.

Kind of a sad trombone moment.
  • Vredesbyrd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have carefully read everybody's response it might take a while because I am also discussing this with a friend of mine.
  • Vredesbyrd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Why would you join a mod that made you sign something, especially not being paid. It sound's like after being phase 2 winner they got cocky and tried to step it up a notch I suppose.

Kind of a sad trombone moment.

When I joined the Mod, i was working towards MSU.
    But after I worked my asshole off and got pissed about progress.
    The mofos presented me a NDA , so I signed it or I would get kicked out.
    Not knowing that a NDA could hold any ownership i signed it.

You don't understand.
    me and Haunted Mod are buddies.

the assholes who made me sign the NDA are different mod.

Haunted is a great mod,
  • ericdigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ericdigital polycounter lvl 13
    I see. I think that would make things even more complicated. With Haunted being the phase 2 winner, it gives it the possibility to maybe even win the entire contest and take home the license and the cash, meaning the mod could later be profitable. However if work you have that is bound by that NDA is in Haunted and Haunted went on to be a success then there could be a problem, if that makes any sense? It's a small possibility that scenario could occur, but it is possible.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    All i know is under australian law for a contract to be legally binding there must be an exchange of something of value for the goods or services you provide and it must be stated in the contract. (note this thing of value can be anything, hell 5 cents would be something of worth in the courts eyes, but if nothing was given then thats different).

If there was nothing of worth given in return for your services as far as i know the contract is void. This is just what i learnt last trimester at college, and im not sure if it is the same in america. (the contract is under the laws of where the contract was formed)

Also im in agreeance that you should just call his bluff and show the work. Can they actually afford to hire lawyers for an international law suit?
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Let's see :
    - a link to the mod that you're in bad terms with,
    - a link to that haunted mod that seems more chill,
    - a link to your work on both!

Then again if you can support yourself for 8 months doing fulltime work for free it seems like you have enough ressources to just start over the artwork anyways?

One thing is sure, you can show your work. It's a MOD, for an amateur CONTEST. It's not as if the winner will instantly become the next Portal or L4D.

Recycling stuff for the next mod, I guess why not, but if I were a judge for the MSU that would annoy me, and maybe would make me put both mods at the bottom of the ranking because neither of them would be in the mod spirit of things.

I'd say recycle your base models, redo your bakes and such. Don't start over again, just maximize your resources. The "NDA" guy sounds like a jerk so yeah he will likely reuse and butcher your work but there's nothing you can do, it's just him being an ass.

Show us some stuff!

(btw Haunted is looking good!)
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    Is the contract backdated to when you started work ? EDIT scratch that 3(i) covers anything before that date.. but still fuck em Id say...

and no NDA should not contain anything about transfer of copyright... normaally even if there was a dispute the material would be still under non disclosure (unless NDA is terminated) but still owned by the respective parties...
  • 00Zero
  • Vredesbyrd
  • Vredesbyrd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haunted stuff cannot be shown yet.
  • Vredesbyrd
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Never trust a mod requiring and NDA or you doing an art test. Its just completely retarded. In your case it looks like they pulled some bullshit way after you joined tho, which is entirely different. But yeah, read anything you sign, or better yet get a lawyer to read anything you sign in the future. But in the mean time, this guy is a wanker and likely has no ability to sue, nor would he ever win if he was foolish enough to do so. It wasn't paid work so there is no binding contract or damages that could be extracted. Atleast as far as i see it.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    wow thats some awesome work dude, i love the environment model, looks bangin'.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    nice stuff, give those fucks a swift kick in the sack i say.
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nizza_waaarg polycounter lvl 15
    i'm pretty sure you don't have to worry about them coming after you or anything... it's still a free mod afaik and they never actually paid you anything (they didn't, right?).

Kinda of a shit deal but if you are really in doubt get a lawyer or somthin to maybe clear stuff up and tell you the possible outcomes. I'd say use them in your folio as much as you please but maybe make some fresh stuff for the new mod (reuse bits if you want to tho).
    And make sure you check which contracts you signed. One of them (the nda's) never actually specified rights to ownership, the actual contract did however.

Hope the haunted goes better than the last one for you :P
  • NyneDown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NyneDown polycounter lvl 11
    Nice work man....I was totally not expecting to see that. Good job :)

And honestly, it's your work regardless of the "NDA" he required you to sign. It's non-profit, there's no legal action that could be taken. This sounds like a wannabe big shot douche that is on a power trip.
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    ~ As long as no one is making money, and nobody is slandering someone. You can do what the fuck you like with your work.

The most that could happen is that they sue you for $0. Because that's how much they would have made anyway.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Dreamer is pretty right on.

And actually I think you have another loophole. The contract defines you as an independent contractor, but in fact you were a volunteer. That means the agreement is talking about a different classification of business relationship and so does not apply to you. ;)

One mod project I was on had an NDA as part of it, however that NDA was with Vivindi Universal, and had good reason to exist. There may have been a later clause added for grant of license to use work done for the project, but there certainly wasn't anything about ownership of materials.
  • kolbyjukes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kolbyjukes polycounter lvl 18
    An NDA is a non-disclosure agreement. Unless stated specifically within the agreement, an NDA does not grant the issuer exclusive rights/ownership to content you produce, etc. That what a contract or work-for-hire agreement is for. Best take a look at the document you signed and see what it says.

That being said a signed NDA could keep you from showing the work you did publicly, provided he goes to the trouble to enforce the NDA (ie. lawsuit).

NDAs and such seem a bit excessive & dramatic for a mod.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    The first, a NDA is only an non disclosure agreement between 2 parts.
    1. The Client and the Independent Contractor are currently considering a business
    relationship involving certain computer technology;
    Second, you are not an independent contractor and you didn't currently consider a business. A businees as result have a profit, have they ever paid you for your work? did you maked invoices? any contract signed?

All this sound stupid, so that nda has no validity (client is not specified). They used a nda template and they didn't modified it to their needs. What a wanker wannabe is the one who make u sign that XDD, he must be a teenage playing to be an adult or something XDDD

Being a mod, a work for the sake of art and passion for games... they can eat a shit ^^
    7. Ownership
    The Independent Contractor hereby acknowledges that, as between itself and the Client, the
    Client is and shall remain the sole owner of all right, title and interest in the Confidential
    Information
    , including, but not limited to any and all rights in copyright, patent, trade secret and
    trade mark, and the Confidential Information and all copies thereof which are supplied to the
    Independent Contractor by the Client shall be held in trust by the Independent Contractor for the
    benefit of the Client only.
    I haven't read anything where you lose your rights over your work. The mod is public now, isn't it? then you could show it without any problems because you did the work (that's if the nda were valid hehe).

Like the nda stablishes you as a "contractor", if there isn't a (paid) contract, you can fuck them as you wish, the work is yours. The may have the rights over the designs and all the information they supply you, but that's all.
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    If you were informed it is an NDA, then it is not binding as they decieved you into signing a full contract.

That right there will get this thrown out of court in a heartbeat if they sue you, and will get you instant win if you sue them.

That being said, go ahead and use the work for your portfolio or mod, and if they raise a stink, read to them the beginning of this post. :D
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    I'm confused here...

You joined the mod, then like 8 months in some dude decided he was the producer and forced you to sign the contract, and claimed ownership to your work? Cause if that's what went down it doesn't hold up in any sense. Unless it's otherwise stated somewhere everyone who worked on that owns their individual chunks of work. You aren't a contractor, and there is no company/client that would be able to claim ownership of the work. So basically, whoever designed the thing would own the IP, whoever made the models would own the models, whoever wrote the code would own the code.

Simple as that. A dude calling himself the "producer" would own nothing, nor would the overall group, as it is not a business, but just a clump of individuals. Unless you signed something that says "I hereby sign ownership of my work to Joe Shmo" it wouldn't work. And Joe Shmo would have to be a legal entity - either a recognized company or a person, and would have to be named. I just skimmed, but I never even saw a it noted who the contract was between on what you posted...

Keep in mind that I'm no lawyer here, this is just based on my understanding of how things work. I do know that contracts that I've signed when I worked for companies specifically state that the work I create while at the company is owned by them. This is because if they don't state that in my contract I retain ownership, which they don't want. :P

To sum that up - Don't worry about showing the work, as has already been mentioned. And remember that you do retain ownership of your models. If that mod goes and wins a million bucks and has your art all over it, make sure you look into getting your bit.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    dude personally i would tell them to fuck off!

its a mod they cant do anything to stop you from using your own work.

use your work you made they cant do anything about it!
  • CrazyMatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As a person who's been all around the modding scene for about 8 1/2 years now.

The only thing they can do is bitch at you for doing so and so. If profit is not involved with any copyright ownership that states it's a company, and this is not a company. They cannot do a damn thing to you and you're work.

It's understandable if it's a mod team undergoing NDA agreements to the (Game companies SDK) for early testing. But a mod team alone cannot do anything more than to ask you not to show you're work.

Personally if I knew that this person had lived anywhere near me. I'd probably go to this person's place and slash their tires for being a douche bag.
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    This "producer" guy actually makes as much sense as Michael from the Office, just walking in a room and saying "I declare bankrupcy" lulz.

Your work is great btw, some really interesting stuff.