Home General Discussion

Windows 7 Beta

Replies

• Microneezia
    Offline / Send Message
    Microneezia polycounter lvl 10
    In the service pack 2 for Max 9 there is a fix for Vista that disables the Aero glass theme while max is running, then reinstates it after... there are tons of viewport glitches i guess in max while the aero window border theme is active.

I notice that Win 7 has this theme as sort of a default, is anyone experiencing problems with max in terms of viewport glitchyness?
  • Flynny
    Offline / Send Message
    Flynny polycounter lvl 9
    In the service pack 2 for Max 9 there is a fix for Vista that disables the Aero glass theme while max is running, then reinstates it after... there are tons of viewport glitches i guess in max while the aero window border theme is active.

I notice that Win 7 has this theme as sort of a default, is anyone experiencing problems with max in terms of viewport glitchyness?

No Idea about max but on my laptop with win7 maya 8.5 sp1 is working as per usual ;)
  • dejawolf
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    perna wrote: »
    That is pure gold. It easily makes up for all your psychotic ramblings on military realism.

i calculate a 90% probability of sarcasm, and a 56% probability of irony. :P
    its hard to not talk about military realism when you've lived and breathed accurate tank models for 6 years :(
    actually so much its affected my texture quality, since i spend nearly 70% of my time modeling looking at reference pictures.
    i think i'll just crawl back to military-meshes now.
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Any users with Windows 7 give Photoshop CS2 or 3DS Max 2008 a run? If they're buttery I will switch...
  • Tumerboy
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 16
    Adam, haven't tried those, but was going to install 2009 and CS4 tonight and see what's up.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Adam, CS2 runs sweet. I don't have Max 08 on here atm.
  • Pedro Amorim
  • Talbot
    Instead of asking what programs work... What programs DO NOT work?

I'm going to reformat my computer today... I'm deciding between vista and windows 7.
  • Talbot
    bitmap wrote: »
    pics plz

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgjMK2sWgsE[/ame]

That sums it up better than any set of screenshots.

If anyone wants to get of the "Send Feedback" link seen here, follow the steps below.

win7-feedback.jpg
    1. Open up the Start Menu
    2. Type "regedit.exe" (without quotes) into the search box and hit enter
    3. Navigate to "HKEY_Current_User\Control Panel\Desktop
    4. Locate the key on the right side that says FeedbackToolEnabled
    5. Double Click on FeedBackToolEnabled
    6. Change the value from 3 to 0

I upgraded my vista to the Windows 7 beta last night. Everything seems to be working fine. I think I'm going to be using it until August 1... when it expires.
  • Frankie
    Offline / Send Message
    Frankie polycounter lvl 19
    Sorry to drag up this old thread but I didn't want to start a new one. Hows everyone going with Windows 7? Has anyone done a direct upgrade from vista to 7? I'm thinking about doing it but not totally convinced yet.
  • Cybroxide
    Offline / Send Message
    Cybroxide polycounter lvl 17
    PS CS3
    Max 9
    ZB 3.1 all work
    Most every game ive tried (guild wars, oblivion, tf2, starcraft, quake2, UT3) all work really smoothly.
    Can't seem to get Bioshock working but my roommate did on his rig. oh well

all drivers work except my nintendo wifi dongle drivers :( no mario kart
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master

i was with max9. but now on 2010 there are no problems at all.
  • HntrLuc
    Offline / Send Message
    HntrLuc polycounter lvl 18
    yeah for the most part it runs great! no problems with any 3d related apps so far :)

still come across little hiccups here and there though.
    off the top of my head the most recent one is if i patch unreal tournament 3 to a newer version, my wireless internet stops working :/
    could have nothing to do with 7, but it seems like ive found a few problems like this since switching...
  • Keg
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    Only issue I have had is a small graphics glitch that's part of the nvidia drivers. This seems to be happening only with the 64-bit version. The default drivers work perfectly, but the newest ones off nvidia's website have a small glitch that's sorta hard to describe. Basically in tf2 when the death cam comes up it has some errors and only if i'm playing full screen, windowed tf2 is fine.

It's a slight annoyance, but one I can live with since it hasn't affect any real gameplay. There's also the option of installing a virtual xp machine onto a win7 system to run things through windows xp. That info is available here: http://lifehacker.com/5245396/set-up-and-use-xp-mode-in-windows-7
  • bounchfx
    they gave me a free copy at the windows party but I don't want to have to do a clean install..

is there an option when installing to keep files and only update the windows portion?
  • Frankie
    Offline / Send Message
    Frankie polycounter lvl 19
    Ok I just installed as an upgrade from vista and seems to have worked keeping all my programs setup. Also found all these tips http://blogs.msdn.com/tims/archive/2009/01/12/the-bumper-list-of-windows-7-secrets.aspx
  • Conor
    Offline / Send Message
    Conor polycounter lvl 18
    I heard it doesn't work with Quake Live - can anyone confirm this?
  • Wahlgren
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    It works with quake live. I got windows 7, ive played quake live. It works. Haven´t had any issues with w7 and i will defo buy it. Yes. Buy! OH MY GOD ;O
  • Herr-Maestro
    Offline / Send Message
    Herr-Maestro polycounter lvl 18
    Just got my copy from houseparty, and seems I won a free copy of Windows 7 Signature Ultimate Edition. I was shocked but I've also been beta testing it since The beginning as well. But I am totally stoked, after the install I'm gonna test it with maya 9.
  • moose
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    im with pior.

those icons better be scalable, or imma choke a bitch
  • alexl
    Offline / Send Message
    alexl polycounter lvl 10
    Just thought I'd chime in, went from Vista Home 32bit to 7 Pro 64bit and upped my RAM to 6GB, and most of the apps I use (PS CS3, Max2010, zb3.1 and just about every game) work well.
    But yeah, mostly no headaches and everything works fine, so far I'm fairly happy with the transition.
  • Xenobond
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    since I had picked up Vista when it came out, I pre-ordered the win7 pro upgrade for $99. Will probably pick up a second full retail version later though. Very nice OS for me to playin mah games on. Only just installed the windows xp mode nonsense. Haven't tried to fiddle with programs through it yet.
  • slipsius
    Bumping this thread. i would like to know if anyone has the released version? how it is?
  • Rick Stirling
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Fast, but I've not played with it much yet.
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    It has issues with my intuos4, can't get it working, so running vista still.
  • breakneck
    Offline / Send Message
    breakneck polycounter lvl 13
    i use it on my home computer and my intuos 4 works fine. I like it better than vista.
  • Tumerboy
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 16
    breakneck wrote: »
    i use it on my home computer and my intuos 4 works fine. I like it better than vista.

QFT
  • pior
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Let me show you my windows sevanz.
    windowssevanz.png

Honestly ever since I began meeting tech-oriented people, I've never ever seen such nonsense hype. Since when shiny icons and user interface redesigns eating away MORE resources from our video cards (yknow, the stuff we max out 'while doing game art) are a good thing?

Or is it just a case of, at least it's better than Vista? I never found anything that didn't run on my xp64 machine built a few months ago.
    Or maybe this is the first time an OS release is successfully hyped through social networking.

"I just got my windows SEVANZ!!"'
    <<< Archimbold Woodstick and 54 others like this.

Yay!
  • crazyfingers
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    XP fan here too, kinda bummed that the new 3d photoshop enhancements don't work on this setup. Not so much because i needed it, but i'm sure it's a sign of lack of support for XP in the future.
  • danshewan
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    pior wrote: »
    Honestly ever since I began meeting tech-oriented people, I've never ever seen such nonsense hype. I never found anything that didn't run on my xp64 machine built a few months ago.

Amen to that. I'm not planning on switching any time soon.
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Windows 7 (even vista for that matter) are remarkable stable, never had any issues with the OS, XP... not so much. Faster boot times and better ram management, plus better support for multi-core processors... No hick-ups, no slow downs. But performance in games?

"I noticed a straight drop of about 8-10 frames per second when running World of Warcraft in particular after my move from XP Pro to Vista Ult. However, I also noticed a significant increase in frames when running HL2 or BF2142."

Short answer, it varies, but isn't too significant, but with DX10 and new games coming out actually coded for win7, I'm sure there's going to be bigger boosts in speed.
  • BeatKitano
    Offline / Send Message
    BeatKitano polycounter lvl 16
    One thing that bothers me a lot, and keep me on 7 is the alt+tab.

In xp you can only switch between apps with the keyboard, on 7 you clic the windos you want its so much faster when you have lots of app/windows open. ANd the grouping with no text on the taskbar is also a big plus in useable space.

This two little nitpicks are enough for me to stay on it, and the os is stable and way better in general ergonomy :)
  • Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Pior, really, you're being overly grumpy now...
    I can see where you're coming from, but it really isn't like you see it. Even in Vista I never noticed my 3DS Max viewport to run slow because of "shiny icons", in fact, it was blazing along at 250+ fps. Max 9 and 2008 even disabled some effects on startup to ensure compatibility.
    Also, you're hardly "maxing out" your videocard whe just looking at Max viewport. You would be if you were playing actual games, but guess what, all the shiny stuff gets automatically dsiabled when you start a game. And if a component would be severely taxed by doing game art it'd be the CPU and RAM when baking/rendering; all the shiny interface stuff is all done on the graphics card, and Windows 7 does a great job at not needlessly taxing your system like Vista seemed to do at times.

And if you want reasons to actually get 7:

-DirectX10 support, which will surely become more usefull in coming year or two
    -Explorer/folder browsing has become a lot more streamlined, XP feels very slow to me now.
    -complete SSD hard drive support. Because frankly, you're missing out a lot of fun if you're not running 7 from an SSD. I can claim speed increases of over 500% in some applications (Unreal Ed for example).
    -No headaches with networks and shared folders!!! OMG it just works! No more driver headaches, fiddling with settings, etc. You install, and it works. Took Microsoft a long time to get there but they finally did it.
    -The new taskbar is actually very, very handy. I've even got shortcuts for Max and Photoshop in there; I never even considered that in older OS'es.
    -very handy "gesture" things for multiple monitors. With a single drag movement, you can move a window between screens. In combination with the previous point, I don't need Ultramon anymore!

Maybe give it a try man, because I'm certain my Sevanz is faster and easier to use than your XP, all while I have no performance hinder at all...
  • pior
    Online / Send Message
    Hi there!
    Well yeah I agree with many of your points - but, because it all really is an end user preference thing anyways, some pluses on that list become minuses for me! Then again I dont think it is worth arguing, but just to explain my point here goes :

The problem with shiny icons (and by that I mean, the whole Aero enabling/disabling issue) is that it is just another layer of ... stuff, and extra stuffing is not what I want on my work machine. (for me games are a whole other business altogether and deserve a partition of their own). Take that auto-disable solution for Max under Vista (I know that one too well hehe). It sure was a good hack (better than doing it manally) but, for instance once disabled ... Photoshop wouldn't give smooth strokes anymore.

Thats just one prime example amongst many others, of a totally unnecessary feature (mere UI bling), that I would totally be happy going without. But this bling is such a selling point, that it ends up intertwined with the real core of the OS, and then turning that shit off cause other issues. Once you experience that, you don't really want to trust the designers behind it. Maybe it's Microsoft's faults, maybe it's Adobe's maybe it's Autodesk's, but all I know is, if that hyped layer of stuff wasn't there, the problem and the hours of teeth grinding annoyance coming with it would have never happened.

See my point? If they really want to make multiple OS variants, lets have a WindowsBloated7, and a cheaper, StripedDownBareToTheBones7. This I would buy. But taxing my vidcard for fancy windows transitions whereas I am taxing it already with at lest 3 demanding 3D apps running at the same time, two of them with advanced realtime shaders, nope I'll pass. I find it sad that pro reviewers never mention that kind of stuff. Heavier, taxing, yet fancy features? Yeah easy, just throw more power at them! No need for much ram left to watch Youtubez anyways! (yeah I know, 90% of the user base.)

And yeah SSDs are cool, my XPpro64 runs on a beloved OCZ :P

Yawn!
  • Lamont
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    You just got XP64 a couple months ago. No wonder you're in bliss, you didn't get the early adopters pains :D :P. I've ran XP64 it since it came out and stopped as soon as my Vista Ultimate came in. Went through two motherboards that had crappy support for XP64 (BioStar and an MSI) and ended up on an Asus. My Lightwave and Motion Builder dongles did not work and drivers were in perpetual beta. Wacom drivers were shoddy. My scanner didn't work, went and got an HP all-in-one from a friend that didn't work as well. Blackberry didn't work. XBox 360 memory card adapter didn't work. A lot of apps had basic install problems.

Vista, even with my Photoshop problem, is better than my experience with XP64. Resources aren't being hogged by useless fluff in Vista, turned it all off, hell you can make it look like XP again. No way I am going back to XP64. I got rid of one of my XP64 lic for next to nothing. Still have another, PM me if you wanna buy it.

As for shiny icons and interface designs, they never did a thing for me:

desktopshot.jpg
  • pior
    Online / Send Message
    Yeah I totally agree with that too Lamont. I think it's safe to say that most if not all OSes are never really perfect at release! Thats also why I dont 'get' the hype.

As for XPpro, I own the thing (got the physical, non OEM CD) but I am actually running a repacked and optimized version called ''SuperiorXP64'. Its basically all the necessary patches all in one, packed by guys who really know their shit. All the unnecessary background processes are disabled, all that kind of stuff. I guess I have been spoiled lol. I find it sad that Microsoft never re-released it in such a form. That also why it makes me doubtful about their future OS releases too. Their development process must be such a bloated tangled mess of strings ....

(by the way yes I tried 7 some time ago. At the same time and on the same hardware I tried Ubuntu from a mere boot CD and it impressed me much more hehe :P)
  • Lamont
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Well, people who know their stuff will go in and "fix" the OS when they get in there. It's the first thing I do on every install, and it's something I recommend for anyone who installs stuff on their workstations.

When I get off my ass and actually install W7, I'll see what the hub-bub is about. That is if the beta will still work.
  • Junkie_XL
    Offline / Send Message
    Junkie_XL polycounter lvl 14
    I'm with pior. I don't understand the Windows 7 hype either. I turn off most of the features in Vista that it had over XP.

EDIT: Isn't SSD flash memory? Won't that wear out sooner?
  • Keg
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    The hype with windows 7 was for me personally from the fact the beta release was more polished and stable than vista was at launch. I've been using Win 7 since the first beta release with minimal issues which have been related to drivers and even then those were resolved fairly quickly.

I've had better performance, stability and ease of use with Win 7. The fancy graphics aren't needed for everyone, but they're easy to turn off. UAC people might complain about still, but it's alot easier to get to UAC and change the settings for it (getting started from the start menu.

Windows update I am liking more now. With my new laptop both nvidia and asus have zero 64-bit driver support for my graphics card. Asus has32-bit vista drivers. Nvidia supports the 260m and 280m but not the 240m mobile gpu. The nice thing with windows update was I got 64-bit drivers with physx installed as well for my laptop. They're not the newest available drivers from nvidia, but for the ease of use it's really nice. Also on the topic of graphics drivers, within the newest drivers from Nvidia I have not required rebooting the system to get the drivers working fully.

The non-rebooting for drivers was something Microsoft promised as part of Vista, but never really showed up. DirectX 11 that is included with windows 7 isn't too useful at the moment, but items like tesselation will be a nice addition to games when it's more readily available.

Dirt 2 DirectX11 Video: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/uk-directx-dirt-2/58055
  • oXYnary
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    pior wrote: »
    Yeah I totally agree with that too Lamont. I think it's safe to say that most if not all OSes are never really perfect at release! Thats also why I dont 'get' the hype.

As for XPpro, I own the thing (got the physical, non OEM CD) but I am actually running a repacked and optimized version called ''SuperiorXP64'. Its basically all the necessary patches all in one, packed by guys who really know their shit. All the unnecessary background processes are disabled, all that kind of stuff. I guess I have been spoiled lol. I find it sad that Microsoft never re-released it in such a form. That also why it makes me doubtful about their future OS releases too. Their development process must be such a bloated tangled mess of strings ....

(by the way yes I tried 7 some time ago. At the same time and on the same hardware I tried Ubuntu from a mere boot CD and it impressed me much more hehe :P)

Goodluck finding wireless card drivers. Thats was the biggest fluke of Windows Server 2003 and XP 64.

I want Linux to take off as well, but seriously. Its time to let XP fade out. You can even emulate XP with its XP emulation mode in the Pro/Ultimate version. Yes, it takes more resources, but not not as bad as Vista. That and memory isnt that expensive.