Cowboy Hat

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
CT007 polycounter lvl 13

Replies

• samgriffiths
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Interesting, but those specs I feel are overkill for something this significant, I'd assume it would be on a characters head and would occupy 256 without needing to model the centre.

It would be interesting to see what the professionals have to say about my comment.
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pope Adam polycounter lvl 11
    Hey ct007

Looks decent. As a stand alone prop it's very boring though. If you're gonna make a cowboy hat for the sake of making an awesome cowboy hat at least make it super badass.

UV unwrap has a lot of wasted space... color is a little flat.

Model a character under this bad boy!

Good things going on though, it does in fact look like a cowboy hat. Mission accomplished there. Just kick it up a notch and take more risks.
  • Rokkx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    can we see the model's wireframe?
  • CT007
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CT007 polycounter lvl 13
    Rokkx wrote: »
    can we see the model's wireframe?

Done.

About the diffuse, I suppose little subtleties are not as appreciated as the larger ones, in the case of games...not that this diffuse has any/many in the first place! =p

I don't like using super small textures because I don't get any detail texturing practise out of it, so I should just make another, wimpy version of it, and improve this one's texture. Now that I look at it again, I could close up some of the sides of edge loops on the bottom side.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Well little subtleties are appreciated, but taking up a 1024 for a rather small asset isn't. =P
    Besides, you could probably get very similar results by applying a tiled detail map.

So far it looks good, albeit a bit resource heavy imho, but i' m missing some things.
    For instance sewing seams; around the outer rim, top of the hat, where the middle part meets the flatter part, and the back of the middle part
    the top looks a bit messy, bubbly like.
    and the leather band seems flat, maybe you could punch the normals and spec a bit?
  • CT007
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CT007 polycounter lvl 13
    Snader wrote: »
    Well little subtleties are appreciated, but taking up a 1024 for a rather small asset isn't. =P
    Besides, you could probably get very similar results by applying a tiled detail map.

So far it looks good, albeit a bit resource heavy imho, but i' m missing some things.
    For instance sewing seams; around the outer rim, top of the hat, where the middle part meets the flatter part, and the back of the middle part
    the top looks a bit messy, bubbly like.
    and the leather band seems flat, maybe you could punch the normals and spec a bit?

Felt doesn't have seams? Here's my reference, which the buttons definitely fail:
    Flickr
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I think you could spend some more time looking at the ref and trying to see what makes it pop. At the moment your rendition looks a bit like a molded plastic cast of the original, painted straight with shiny paint :P

Since the ref is so plain you have to really pimp the few areas where the eyes stop. The first one is the leather strap. What's its personality trait? Its thickness, the obvious thin rectangular cross section that is also brighter because of the darker main surface treatment, the way it sometimes goes away from the suede surface.

Then contrast :

- what materials contrast together? The suede (matte), the leather (slightly shiny, with a colored specular, I'd say try grey-blueish or orange-ish), the copper (very shiny, rich gold/brown reflexion).

- what are the different surface 'plastics'? Suede (made of micro little things, so it has to look dry, no need for spec, just throw in a faint rimlight and it will look velevety already. no need for bump either), Leather (don't be affraid to make another kind of leather than the ref. You could try croc), and the embossed coppers. Go bold with them, have fun and sculpt them!

Pimp it up man!
  • CT007
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CT007 polycounter lvl 13
    Isn't the spec for bronze/copper pinkish? Is there a list of material spec colors somewhere? lol
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    It's all in your eye man!
    Depends on the light source anyways...