Home General Discussion

PSP Go - Thoughts..?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
odium polycounter lvl 18
Link: http://kotaku.com/5273208/rumor-qore-lets-slip-the-first-look-at-psp-go

Now, is it me, or does this scream bad...? Awful button placement, that analog stick is going to kill people after a few mins of play, they protect the buttons and not the screen with a sliding design, no actual UMD support, its all online, and a much smaller screen size...

Step backwards IMO... Thoughts?

Replies

• Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    I thought the original analog stick was/is bad, that should be their first priority, sort the stick out sony! The slide concept could work, but if the thing is top heavy it will be like a leverage problem, trying to keep it at your fingertips. UMD is kind of in a decline right now, smaller screen size is not the way to go.
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    lol

Grand Torismo

Really? Wants that supposed to be on this PSP already?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Protect the screen not the buttons.
    Smaller screen? Maybe less battery consumption?
    16gb of memory, that's pretty cool, but how are they going to use it?
    Tether to your cell phone?

It's been about 2 years since I last used my PSP.
  • HellMark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HellMark polycounter lvl 18
    While the other stuff is kind of cool I think that analog stick position is going to be a deal killer for many. Looks like the iPhone has nothing to worry about.
  • ericdigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ericdigital polycounter lvl 13
    The design looks terrible to me, I'm not really sure what they are thinking with this. Is it still a PSP just a different design, I mean does the 3000 and this one still play the same games?

Some more pics

504x_PSP_GO_002.bmp.jpg

504x_PSP_GO_001.bmp.jpg

504x_PSP_GO_007.bmp.jpg

ss_preview_PSP_GO_006.bmp.jpg?slideshow=true
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    This thing sounds pretty expensive, if true.
  • mLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thing is ugly as hell. I hope this is a joke.
  • Murdoc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Murdoc polycounter lvl 11
    SCREWS! Same with the F@#$ing ZUNE, SCREWS! It 2009, I don't want F@#$ing screws and if its there to look all badass nerd tech, that is so 2005. Also wheres the piano finish? That is what made the psp look slick, this looks like cheap plastic.

seriously, screws...

edit: spelling, wow.
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks like the battery is not removable? Doesn't make sense to have to take off 4 screws to change out a dead battery pack for one that's fresh.
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    I think it looks pretty slick but the placement of the analog nub makes it seem like some sort of torture device. They took the most uncomfortable part of the existing PSP and put it in a harder to reach spot!?
  • mLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    psp2_00.jpg

This is how it should look, this design is awesome. Just as long as the screen has glass over it.
  • ericdigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ericdigital polycounter lvl 13
    amen that mock up is nice, people have been crying for two thumbsticks forever, I wish they would listen!
  • jerry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mLichy wrote: »
    psp2_00.jpg

This is how it should look, this design is awesome. Just as long as the screen has glass over it.

Sony should hire they guy that did this and fire the idiots that did the real thing. First thing that comes to mind is: cramp / rsi :poly127:
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Murdoc wrote: »
    SCREWS! Same with the F@# ZUNE, SCREWS! It 2009, I don't want F@# screws and if its there to look all badass nerd tech, that is so 2005. Also wheres the piano finish? That is what made the psp look slick, this looks like cheap plastic.

seriously, screws...

edit: spelling, wow.

I agree with everyone in this thread, the design is pretty bad. Gotta disagree on the piano finish issue though...its good its gone. Saves all the icky fingerprints and having to wipe the thing down every day.
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with everyone in this thread, the design is pretty bad. Gotta disagree on the piano finish issue though...its good its gone. Saves all the icky fingerprints and having to wipe the thing down every day.

i doubt the fingerprint issue will be a concern once we all start living under one world government. our identities will be useless so our fingerprints will be chemically erased at birth. so no more fingerprints on your future electronic devices yay!
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    It looks like ass. That user concept render is hot shit, though.
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    they just need to take a playstation controller and attach an 8 inch screen to it (+ other components). there, problem solved. who the hell cares if its super duper slim or shiny black. i think companies are too worried about how slim their stupid products should be and they try to fit their whole product around a certain size. I mean, we're gonna hit the point where if we go any thinner it will be counter productive (we're already reaching that point with all these 'oops i squeezed my ipod/laptop a little too hard' stories).

another thing that annoys me with these new product designs is all the uber obvious curves they put into them. the idea is that they should be subtle, not in your face. i personally would rather play that 90 degree box that they have in the 3d mockup render than the actual one.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    like vig says, totally backward to ds: protecting the buttons not the screen
    and also, yeah I havent used my psp in about 2 years: thanks to all that firmware vs homebrew crap. I actually downgraded mine
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mLichy wrote: »
    psp2_00.jpg

This... I might buy.
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    I´m just really worried about scratching the screen when it´s always up like that. That´s why i think the nintendo DS design is so good (well the new ones). If they want it to fold or flip or whatever. Do it like that.

EDIT: Although yeah. That would be hard to do with a huge ass screen like that.
  • anoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I dunno... I liked it. (Though the fan made concept is better.)

I figure the exposed screen was so you could watch movies and stuff without it all opened up.

Should have had two analog nubs though...
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    In terms of making the PSP a more portable system, this is a big step in the right direction. In terms of expanding the PSP's market share...I'm not so sure.

I can say one thing for certain. Developers are going to be very happy about this revision to the PSP. You can expect any and all support for the UMD format for movies or games to be dead and gone in the next year and a half. They say that they are going to continue to support the PSP 3000. But I guarantee that promise is as hollow as when Nintendo promised to continue supporting the GameBoy. If the PSP GO does well in sales, you can expect Sony to drop the 3000 as quickly as they can. Having a handheld that will be dependent on connecting to an on-line store will clear up piracy issues on the PSP platform very quickly. You can expect a lot of developers who had written the PSP off to show renewed interest in the GO.

Having the buttons under the slide is good for streamlining the size of the system. I've always felt that having the buttons under the screen is better than on either side. Though a subtle difference, historical precedence has shown that handhelds with this layout tend to do better. The complaint about the screen being unprotected remains valid. The biggest problem I have with the portability of my PSP 1000 is that I'm constantly concerned with damaging the exposed screen. I don't think there was very much they could do about that though. Decreasing the size of the screen will probably end up working out well for them. As much as I love the PSP's massive screen, it does make the system more cumbersome.
  • flow3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flow3d polycounter lvl 18
    fan-made concept is soooooo much better

I might get this still though,
    just wondering how my current psp games would work on it..it wont have a UMD drive right, its all about digital games, downloaded from the PS Store.
    Ive got a couple of psp games all ready (lost my psp2000 8months ago..), if they would offer some sort of conversion drive, usb compatible with any computer or whatever.....
  • mLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the idea of it being more compact as well as UMDless with flash memory. But as far as myself, I'm not going to get sucked into getting another handheld. I said it before, but ended up getting a DS, then DS Lite, and I also had a PSP. But I never played them after a month or so.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    I don't think it's ugly, but I do think the button placement sucks, and the fan made one looks 10000x better.
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy-S polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah, that looks like ass. And not good ass either, more like cottage cheese, pimply ass. The user mock up is much better. Seems like it would be much better to watch video on too. The design they're going with for some reason reminds me of the old portable genesis.

I like the 16gb's. That's a nice feature, plenty of games, video, and music on that. UMDless? How are they gonna pull that off? You'd have to connect to the internet? L A M E ! ! I understand all the reasons to do it, but the reasons to NOT do it are more plain. I don't even like letting STEAM connect to the net when I wanna play a game on my pc, why would I wanna let my psp do it? They'll just sneak new software, and firmware shit on to my PSP which I don't like at all.

I'll stick with my regular PSP thanks.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    flow3d wrote: »
    if they would offer some sort of conversion drive, usb compatible with any computer or whatever.....

I can tell you right now...that shit aint happening. The biggest problem that Sony has with the current PSP is exactly what you are describing. Right now, people are successfully ripping games off of UMDs, and then distributing them for free on-line. Anyone with a hacked-firmware PSP can play these downloaded games free of charge. So the kind of situation you are envisioning is the very antithesis of what Sony is trying to accomplish with the PSP GO.

If you pick up a PSP GO, the only way you are going to be able to play games that you already own is if you buy them again off the PSN Store. Sony will move heaven and earth to make sure the PSP GO stays that way. They will pull every copy protection, log-in authorization, and password encryption trick that they can to insure that no one plays anything on the PSP GO that they haven't paid for.

All of you keep harping on the aesthetics of the GO. But that is a very minor consideration in this equation. After all, the original PSP was sex squeezed into a handheld console. The thing was, and still is, gorgeous. But that didn't make up for all its failings as a portable video game machine. The GOs design might not be as attractive outwardly, but I can tell the changes will make it a better portable game console.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    still no touch screen ah sony?

although you know I'll be 1st in line for some of this... if it looked like that second picture
  • Rox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rox
    Oh wow. That looks even more uncomfortable than playing a dual-stick game on the PlayStation.

Ohh, burn! But seriously... Really? Are Sony really THAT bad with ergonomics? Sure, the PSX controller was the bee's knees when it came out, but that was really only because it was the first of its kind at the time. As soon as the other consoles caught up, the PlayStation controller fell to the bottom of my list when it comes to comfortability. It doesn't look like they're trying to remedy that with any of their systems any time soon...
  • kwakkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kwakkie polycounter lvl 12
    That user made thing looks kick ass!!! The real deal... not so much :/ I personally think it looks like a chinese fake version of a PSP.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Woah haha it's as if the hands in the promo picture have cramps already. How is thats supposed to be held! I even have a hard time holing a DS already - this is so bad...
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    rooster wrote: »
    and also, yeah I havent used my psp in about 2 years: thanks to all that firmware vs homebrew crap. I actually downgraded mine

You haven't used it because of Custom Firmware? That's why I do use it lol! Why don't you put a few PSOne games on there? Feckin best use for a PSP. MGS, Final Fantasy, you name it; it all plays great on the PSP. And the best thing is, there are tools you can use to burn copies of games you actually own onto the PSP, so you don't feel bad because you already gave them money for it a few years back.:)
  • ImSlightlyBored
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ImSlightlyBored polycounter lvl 13
    Rox wrote: »
    Oh wow. That looks even more uncomfortable than playing a dual-stick game on the PlayStation.

Ohh, burn! But seriously... Really? Are Sony really THAT bad with ergonomics? Sure, the PSX controller was the bee's knees when it came out, but that was really only because it was the first of its kind at the time. As soon as the other consoles caught up, the PlayStation controller fell to the bottom of my list when it comes to comfortability. It doesn't look like they're trying to remedy that with any of their systems any time soon...
    quoting for truth
    So few people get the fact that the PS pads are horrible, cheap and uncomfortable.

As for this? I actually liked it, but it was only when I started thinking about how big my hands are and how small that is, that I decided it was a really bad idea. No way.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    pior wrote: »
    Woah haha it's as if the hands in the promo picture have cramps already.
    Those tiny little Japanese girl hands. How's the average Polish sausage finger white-man going to deal with it?

The lack of a touch screen seems delightfully quaint too. If they're trying to take on the IPhone head on methinks they're going to need to do better than this. At least it's better than the one with the fat keyboard in the middle that was being bandied about a while back.
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Would love to have dual analogs on the psp. Would make playing Monster Hunter feel more like it was on the PS2. -,-
  • Rox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rox
    As for this? I actually liked it, but it was only when I started thinking about how big my hands are and how small that is, that I decided it was a really bad idea. No way.
    Yeah. Something struck me, actually. A few months ago I was discussing a NES pad with someone, going "LOL look at that thing. People sure didn't know what ergonomics were back then. The LEAST you could do is put the buttons near the upper edge instead of the lower edge so they're easier to reach!"

And look at where the buttons are on that darn PSP there. I wonder how comfortable a similar design held upside-down would be. Sure, no one would buy it because it looks terrible, but a lot of things are more comfortable if you can rest them on your palm. Take a folding mobile phone. Those lower rows of buttons are hell to reach when texting with one hand unless you reposition the whole device specifically for that. But if you flip it around so the display rests against your palm, suddenly it's much more comfortable no matter what button you need to reach. I'd kinda like to see a handheld gaming device with the screen below the buttons. Much bigger grip area, and if done right you could probably make it much more comfortable without risking obscuring the screen or anything.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    You bring up a good point. They should make something that could have the controls pull out the sides, then down. That would probably feel more natural that going back to the days of contorting your hands/wrists to play. My hands use to get so damn sore back in the Nintendo days.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    504x_cartman.jpg

nuff said:P looks ok but begs the question why when its so far behind the ds, especially when the market is gonna be online only, the average joe hits up his best buy/future shop far more than browsing online i think.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    I think it looks hot! I'm sure it will do great like the PS 3. I'll by a PSP Go if it's at least 350.... I can't wait.

I wonder how many years experience the guy that designed that layout has, maybe he got a million dollar bonus, he sure deserves it! I mean I'm 5"9 with small hands and I don't think I can use that thing unless it's as wide as the psp and then I think I would some help.

Good job sony, keep it up.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Love the fan made render but were are the speakers on it?!
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    speakers are those lil 4 dpad shaped holes either side of the screen i believe.
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    i'm asian with even smaller hands and I doubt that thing will be comfortable to hold.
  • Junkie_XL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Junkie_XL polycounter lvl 14
    So this is the great iPhone / DS killer the Sony fanboys were waiting for? Tether to your existing cell? This really doesn't seem like anything new or great at all. pass.

My PSP-1000 is still enough for me. Makes a great paperweight. Give me Mega Man Powered Up 2 please.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    will have to be really low price point to do well at the moment.

like $99 or less
  • Parnell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Parnell polycounter lvl 18
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    Just saw somewhere they're saying it should retail for about $250 USD, apparently the same price as when the original PSP first came out. Not TOO bad, then...
    However...

What the badly placed analog stick batman?? Really, did someone even bother to TRY playing a game on it and seeing how uncomfortable it is? Or did they finally try it and were like, "Ehhh... its not too bad... nah, it's good, let's not fix this mistake and go with it!!" (get it... 'go' with it??)
    I think its good that they're getting rid of the UMD drive, cause I don't know about you guys, but the painful, horrible grinding reading noises the UMDs make won't be missed by me. However, no backwards compatability is not gonna work in its favour. (But we're already used to that crap from the PS3, right?)

I still have some hope it will turn out well... I'm not sure how, but I'm remaining blindly optimistic...
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    250 is too much.
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    I'd like to try holding one first, if it feels as bad as it looks like it will feel then I'll pass ;/

I don't think it looks _that_ bad, Of course it can look better and the fan-made version definitely does look better, but still, its not fugly enough to make me not-buy it just from the looks alone :p
  • c0ldhands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    c0ldhands polycounter lvl 15
    Dont know guys, i dont have nothing on the design issue, it seems alright to me, the thing about the size kind of appeals to me, my old psp is more like a brick, couldnt carry it arround for music, nor did it have the space, thats why I bought a ipod touch, but now that I see the new psp, Im totally gonna sell my ipod for a Go. Not to mention all the good games coming out on the system (sony press conferance) I think psp is going to have a nice year.
  • Rox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rox
    Gizmodo fondle the PSP Go: http://gizmodo.com/5276226/hands-on-is-the-psp-go-too-small
    Personally... I don't know, I obviously haven't held it but I don't think that looks like it could be anything close to comfortable...