Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    that looks pretty awesome...hope they have it for maxas well
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    and i thought decimation master was awesome, this is will be streamlining workflow to no end.
  • Akaikami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm curious as to why they aren't marketing it for Max as well. Hopefully they don't just skip Max.
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    No they will have a max version, probably soon enough after it is released if not before. I would imagine it is a LOT of work to get separate plugins working with each different app that allow you to send mesh data back and forth - especially when you change vert order, and still maintain your sculpt info back in zbrush!? =o
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    they are also offering up the sdk so it should make to all packages if the demand is there.

this is pretty awesome, love how you can add edge loops and stuff in maya and it retains all your sculpted details in zbrush.
  • Vitor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vitor polycounter lvl 18
    PHACK yes! I'm liking Zb4 already too much. So it also seems you can edit the topology of the model and keep modeling?

Hope they get one for Max too...
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    The lack of technical barriers that make working with in ZBrush feel like real world sculpting and painting is why so many have created such ground breaking work.

Hahaha.

But anyways. If editing topology in Max/Maya and sending the edits back to Z without breaking anything *really* works, this is a winner!

Hope they'll improve viewport nav for the next release. If they do, along with that GoZ, Mud would then be left behind.

Interesting times!!
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    next update make art button?

awsum!
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Holy crap, that's intensely awesome.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    excellent, my work combo is modo+Zbrush! this is a great notice!
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    wow thats awesome, its great to see them adding all these dope tools to ZB.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, man.

If this works with modo as well as it says it does, I think Mudbox can wave goodbye from my pipeline.
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    I think that we found the solution to the other thread where we was talking about import/export problems ;)

GG pixologic !
  • ericdigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ericdigital polycounter lvl 13
    wow decimation master, 3d print exporter and now this!? What are these Zbrush guys think they are doing!

So awesome, Is there a download for this yet? I couldn't find a link or anything.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    this is what happens when autodesk does not buy you.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    arshlevon wrote: »
    this is what happens when autodesk does not buy you.
    you made my day
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    Ya seriously, good on Pixologic for constantly improving Z. Hope the MB guys wake up soon though, still waiting on the SP3 with proper faceted shading.
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    Hell yeah! I wonder how this will affect retopo in ZB? If you start out with a decent base mesh, could you just GoZ into Maya, cut in all your new geo bringing it down to low res, map it, and GoZ again? GoZ a decimated mesh as a template while you do all that. Would it still hold up after moving so much stuff around? That's a ton of point order demolition, plus making new UV maps!?!?!?!?! Or does it really only work if you prefab all that, or say for only adding in geo for detail concentration and not deleting existing geo?

Could this be the glorious end of exploding OBJs in Maya!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

ZB just keeps bringing out more and more and more that puts them ahead.

:)
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    this is pretty sweet.

BUT

who even still uses cinema4d? i mean come on, pick a more obscure package for your tool to work with out of the box, wtf happened to the max version?

and yeah if they get bought out by autodesk every one of these features will be slated for a zbrush 20xx release not to mention they willl all be incompatible with each other so you will have to install a separate copy of zbrush for each of them and go back and forth between them.
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    I'm guessing this has a lot to do with cooperation from parties outside of pixologic. Understandable if autodesk isn't as willing to help them out as say, luxology or maxxon, seeing as how they make a competing sculpting package themselves. Perhaps the maya version has to do more with basic familiarity with that package/sdk at pixologic than others and so it was easier for pix to support it initially. Also, all of the listed apps so far have mac versions. Max and XSI do not.
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, would be a bit pointless to work on Max support when the first version of GoZ comes out for the OSX version of Z3
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    hmm.. might be time to take another look at zbrush..
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    I also agree that there's no Max version announced at the minute because Max isn't available on OSX, but the other 3 named packages are AND they've announced that the OSX version is coming out 2 months before the Windows version.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Gwot makes a very good point - I doubt Autodesk will be helping out Pixologic at all, given they're selling a competing product now. Pixologic have also always been heavy into Mac support, and as has been pointed out, Max isn't available on Mac while Maya is.
    Plus it may just have been easier for them to develop the plugin for Maya than Max. I assume, given their track record (and given that this isn't released yet), they will have a Max plugin available soon - they'd be mad not to. Just a matter of time.
  • BeatKitano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeatKitano polycounter lvl 16
    Off topic: Is it me or the name of the plug is close to "crap" in chinese ?

Oh, and it shows edge loop adding, no polyflow changes (topology changes). I believe we are still stuck with the vertices order curse.
  • Goz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goz
    Awesome! Can't wait to test it out.

I think it's funny to see a tool as my user name.
  • DimitrisT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DimitrisT polycounter lvl 17
    At first I thought it was another Gears of ZBrush article, but this was alot better! :D
  • InProgress
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    InProgress polycounter lvl 14
    All I can say is:

house-do-want_thumbnail.jpg
  • FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FAT_CAP polycounter lvl 18
    Wow - this looks like a great update and one sure to solve a lot of the headaches that people had going back and forth between packages.

If it sets up proper displacement settings inside Max for you that would be a godsend.
  • DrElu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Omg, that's exactly what I've been waiting for so long!
    And Modo 401 is announced for June. Great summer!

I see an art boom coming along this year ;D
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    can't wait for a max version, say what you want about pixologic but this kicks ass ^^
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay I've been watching the vid some more times and I noticed a few things ...

- Like it's been mentionned before I feel like one cannot make 'real' mesh changes back in the 3D app. It seems to be limited to : inserting loops, splitting polygons (cut tool), maybe inset. Or extrude, if kept at distance zero. Basically stuff that adds density, but doesn't redirect anything. The operations mentionned above usually don't break UVs - that would explain the correct transition back to Z (its like loading the edited model instead of the old one, and applying the disp map again - it works, even today wituouth GoZ)

-At the beginning of the vid, the hand gets rotated 90degrees in the maya>Z>maya process, that's kinda bad.

- Also I am wondering about the transfer times. Is it really instant? Wouldn't Z have to re-render the disp at each and every import and export?

I am not trying to be a nitpicking fanboy here, just trying to understand what the thing really does. I have been getting a bit tired by the pixologic annoucements lately, stuff that seem kickass in videos but in practice not so great (like the layer system ...)

On the other hand, what I want to know is the following. Near the end of the video, I can see a tube being created in Z with Zspheres, being successfully exported to Maya. Will it be possible to do the opposite? Like creating new chunks in maya (selecting a few faces, and copy-detach them to make say a belt basemesh) and nicely exporting that extra little chunk to Z as a new subtool, without any of the current hassle? That would be fantastic...

At least it seems to ease out the obj import-export process so thats good. Besides from the automatic shader thing in maya, so far I don't see much that cannot be done already?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    pior wrote: »
    Will it be possible to do the opposite? Like creating new chunks in maya (selecting a few faces, and copy-detach them to make say a belt basemesh) and nicely exporting that extra little chunk to Z as a new subtool, without any of the current hassle? That would be fantastic...

Out of interest, what is the current hassle? I go:
    1. Export mesh from max (or maya) as OBJ
    2. Append a PolyMesh3D to the current Tool
    3. Import the OBJ
    Is that so hard...?

However I see what you are saying, and I kinda agree - it doesn't look like much you couldn't do before, it's just kinda streamlining the whole process. Which is good, yeah, but maybe not quite as amazing as they make out ;)
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well i don't even see why there would be a need for step 2 for instance :P
    And I keep hearing horror stories about obj placement, sometimes getting screwed up ...

Anyways, can't wait to try it, might even buy the mac version when it comes out.

Would be great to have Silo support too.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Yeah, this looks neat but with neither Silo nor Max support, I'm left a bit out in the cold.
  • Okt
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Okt polycounter lvl 19
    MoP wrote: »
    Out of interest, what is the current hassle? I go:
    1. Export mesh from max (or maya) as OBJ
    2. Append a PolyMesh3D to the current Tool
    3. Import the OBJ
    Is that so hard...?

However I see what you are saying, and I kinda agree - it doesn't look like much you couldn't do before, it's just kinda streamlining the whole process. Which is good, yeah, but maybe not quite as amazing as they make out ;)

I'm not sure if this is a ZBrush issue or a restriction on my account privileges here at school, but I've found it's a major time consumer pointing the file select dialog boxes to the appropriate folder every time I wish to import/export.

This sounds pretty interesting, maybe I'll make a full move from Mud to ZBrush with the new version. 401 might also allow me to make a change from Windows to OSX...
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    I would hope that neverwinter would support this- as its one of the finest pre- sculpting modeling tools out there.
  • kary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kary polycounter lvl 18
    And I keep hearing horror stories about obj placement, sometimes getting screwed up ...

Anyways, can't wait to try it, might even buy the mac version when it comes out.

Would be great to have Silo support too.

I use sub tool master and my process from Silo is: Ctrl Shift S to save selected as an OBJ, alt tab to ZB, the hotkey for subtool master, go to multi append (even with a single object), select the obj, sculpt.

It works the same out of max or Maya as well. ZB feels pretty much like importing and exporting from any other program to me now, GoZ would make it quite a lot better though. Never had a scale issue so I can't speak to that.

Okt Filebox Extender or Direct Folders does a lot to keep the folder jumping sane. Without being able to use those it would be an amazing amount of time lost.

Lampoly There are a lot of things that they could rush into, there are a depressing number of fundamentals that need cleanup still though. I do still think Silo is still great mind you :).
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 18

The Subtool Master plug-in's MultiAppend function actually fixes both of those issues. It goes straight to an Import OBJ dialog where you can pick one or more OBJs to append, and it brings them in as subtools straight away. It's like the best ZB ever :)
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah yeah i used zubtoolmaster, it does help! But it should be included by default. Maybe it is now?
    Trying to test the latest mac version, but theres no demo? WTF
  • tacit math
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tacit math polycounter lvl 17
    those guys have been smoking down hard on their delusion pole for so long now it's impossible to trust anything they present as a preview. but of course. if it does actually work as advertised and without exception it will be fucking awesome. i'll be tipping my hat to them for sure

as it is though. from pure force of habit. they've probably got it set up so you have to hit the ' GoZ ' button ten fucking times while rubbing your belly anticlockwise and reciting some arcane garbled palaver to make it work
  • artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artstream polycounter lvl 11
    tacit math wrote: »
    those guys have been smoking down hard on their delusion pole for so long now it's impossible to trust anything they present as a preview. but of course. if it does actually work as advertised and without exception it will be fucking awesome. i'll be tipping my hat to them for sure

as it is though. from pure force of habit. they've probably got it set up so you have to hit the ' GoZ ' button ten fucking times while rubbing your belly anticlockwise and reciting some arcane garbled palaver to make it work

Hahaha, yes. Although I have to say that the DM recently helped me with a project IMMENSELY, so I have faith in Pixologic. But I am ready to also rub my belly while chanting.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    isnt Maya owned by Autodesk too? //edit: nm, reread and agree with the Mac support stuff, not evil corporations hatin on the playas. ;)

looks like an awesome feature, would be bodacious to not need "export_max01.obj" file and "export_zbrush01.obj" files for a given thing/section/whatever!
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    yes but the difference is that max only runs on the Microsoft windows series, and maya runs on OSX and linux.
    Some people assume its because pixel Logic has preference (combination of package and OS) that results into a missing support for max. Because obviously 3dsmax is one of the important packages. So you probably just have to wait a little bit.
    It wont probably take long till the blender scene develops their part themselves in blender - those are usually quick guys.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hehe Zbrushcentral posters can be hilarious at times. Why would Pixologic have a preference for a platform over another? One can be easier to develop on, sure. But preferences go down the drain when you consider that max users are certainly 50%+ of the audience. I think the max plugin is just, huh, not ready yet!
  • DrElu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lets just keep cool until Zb 4 is out and then lets make great stuff ;)
    Can't wait to get my copy though ...

Sorry for OT but: Has anyone tried Decimation Master yet? It's like PolygonCruncher for ZBrush.
  • NyneDown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NyneDown polycounter lvl 11
    Damn...I was just searching around to see if there was a way to re-topologize meshes in a 3d app. and re-import back into Z, but all of this just answered my question.

There NEEDS to be an update to allow artists to do this. Re-topology in zbrush is great to have, but it just isnt practical for everyone out there. I honestly dont like the feeling of being locked in to any one application to achieve something such as this. It's looking like this will be an added feature in the future possibly...so hopefully they take note.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    New video for this, shows extrusions and cutting holes in meshes.

http://zbrushcentral.com/zbc/showthread.php?t=072510
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks awesome! Would be better if they had 3dsmax support. /crosses fingers
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    That's bloody nice. I'm glad Maya is our primary studio app at the moment, for now ;)