Home General Discussion

UP!!!

Quaggs
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Quaggs polycounter lvl 18
Just got back from seeing Pixar's latest movie, UP, with a few friends and I must say I thought it was excellent. the animation was great as always, and the story was fun, and hilarious, it even had a few touching moments that made me leak water from my face. I recommend it very much. the opening short was great as well. Has anyone else seen it yet?

Replies

• Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    I'm going to see it tomorrow.

I'd go with friends if, you know, I had any.
  • scourgewarper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Now that's made me leak water from my face!

A temporary measure could be to just randomly click 'add friend' on facebook and see what comes up, like everyone else these days my self worth is directly correlated to the number of friends I have on fb (can't....resist...the...cynicism!)
  • Yura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah i'm already hearing from multiple people that it's good, i guess i'll have to add it to my to-watch-list.
  • TheMadArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheMadArtist polycounter lvl 12
    I loved it. So many great characters, and a really touching story at the heart of it. Dug was by far my favorite part of the movie, mainly because I have a golden retriever and they did a great job of portraying golden's personalities with him.

The short, Partly Cloudy, was pretty cute too. Although I don't think they'll be able to top Presto for awhile, but that might just be me. Definitely a must see.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I haven't seen it yet, I'm really excited to go see it. The one part I cringe at, is the talking doberman, I hope its voice isn't like that through the whole movie and if it is, I hope it doesn't do a lot of talking. The rest of it looks amazing.
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    I haven´t seen it yet (Not out here) but the dog seems brilliant with his talking necklace. :)
  • TheMadArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vig wrote: »
    I haven't seen it yet, I'm really excited to go see it. The one part I cringe at, is the talking doberman, I hope its voice isn't like that through the whole movie and if it is, I hope it doesn't do a lot of talking. The rest of it looks amazing.

Don't worry, he doesn't talk enough to be annoying.
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    So... in other words, Pixar did it again? :D
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    I just got back from seeing it.

You know that montage in Toy Story 2 where Jesse is telling Woody about how her girl left her? I've always thought that was the saddest scene in any Pixar movie, but goddamn... The opening of Up is even worse. It's good the rest of the movie isn't like that or I'd have started leaking water from my face.
  • Marcus Dublin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marcus Dublin polycounter lvl 17
    I saw the film today and it blew me away, this is an instant classic and easily the best Pixar film to date! I have to say the that the first ten or so minutes could have been a short film in itself. Hell I even found myself a bit choked up.

The only thing that I found disappointing was the "3d" aspect or lack there of. Was it just me or did anyone feel like this wasn't made with 3d in mind?

Aside from that this is a great film that I will enjoy for years to come.
  • nrek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek polycounter lvl 14
    It was a awesome movie, I think some of my favorite parts where all the scenes with the old polaroids, they felt so real yet and the same time it is so stylized.

I do agree with Marcus about the 3d though, I would prefer to just watch it like any normal film. So far the only thing that has really impressed me about these new 3D movies are the bright tech advertisments that play before the film starts.

But yea if you havn't seen this movie yet find some time to check it out, you will not be dissapointed.:)
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    saw it tonight.

Wow.

I LOVED it.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    saw it just now. in 2d cause 2d is better :)

Soooo good. 2nd best pixar movie imo. I already can't wait to see what they come up with next (as far as original IPs. Dont care about toy story or cars sequels really...)
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    It doesnt come out in aus till september.... wtf...
  • elementrix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    elementrix polycounter lvl 15
    Muzz wrote: »
    It doesnt come out in aus till september.... wtf...

here in the Netherlands we have to wait till the 8th of October :S

you Americans will already have the DVD release by then!

and they expect us not to download it in the meantime...
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
  • Luxury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxury polycounter lvl 18
    Freaking loved loved LOVED it!
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    This was my daughters first movie..so I saw about 20 minutes of it... it had some laugh out loud moments. Alpha Dog's voice craked me up
  • Murdoc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Murdoc polycounter lvl 11
    Ok so Im looking for showtimes tommorrow and I can only find Up in 3D(you know that shit with the glasses) so basically I probably won't go now since I hate that distracting stuff, I just want to go see the movie.

Anyone know if its actually playing normally somewhere in Vancouver?
  • Zack Fowler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Fowler polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah, saw it last night and loved it. Pixar really outdid themselves on the materials and lighting on this one, it's probably the best visual execution they've had so far. And they did a really, really good job talking some heavy, somber plot points without making the movie seem artificially melodramatic or manipulative.

Murdoc, I saw it in 3D with friends, and even though I wore the clunky 3D glasses over my own clunky glasses I forgot about the gimmick a few minutes in. I think the 3D presentation really helps the dramatic action moments pop and it didn't bother me at all.
  • coldkodiak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    coldkodiak polycounter lvl 17
    Beautiful movie.
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Murdoc wrote: »

Silvercity Coquitlam.
  • ericdigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ericdigital polycounter lvl 13
    Murdoc wrote: »
    Ok so Im looking for showtimes tommorrow and I can only find Up in 3D(you know that shit with the glasses) so basically I probably won't go now since I hate that distracting stuff, I just want to go see the movie.

I understand where you are coming from but the 3d really was not distracting. Pixar and Disney handle it with a lot more grace than most. They don't push it to make it gimmicky its very subtle. At times I forgot it was even 3d, I think their approach is to make it more of sub conscious approach rather than in your face. I don't think there was a scene in the whole movie where they were blantly trying to say "Hey! this is in 3d!"

Movie was great, Partly clowdy was great, though I think Presto still holds the belt!
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I've read a number of reviews that suggest you're better off watching it in regular 2d as you lose some of the lovely subtle colour variation with the fancy pants glasses.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    yeah I wish for the 3d versions they'd up the saturation.. a lot gets lost with those damn things because they don't take it into account
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    Loved it! Yeah the opening scene not only made me tear up but I openly sobbed a bit. :(

Oh and Partly Cloudy is now my favorite short!

- BoBo
  • Laughing_Bun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Laughing_Bun polycounter lvl 17
    I saw the movie too. I liked it but it had some really annoying problems. For starters all the dogs. Im so sick of seeing animated dogs and other "pets". Here is a whimsical movie about a grandpa and a chubby kid flying on balloons and it gets turned into the same old same old Lame kids movie with talking animals. Along with all the horrid dog jokes...We get it dogs like squirrels... Pixar is the master of animation watching characters move on screen is mesmerizing, they are best when doing "silent movie" type scenes. I don't know if its them marketing towards kids too much or what, but the dialogue is always very cheesy. Pixar apparently has the sense of humor as an 8 year old. Atleast Dreamwork pictures have more sophisticated humor hidden within.
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I liked it, but I don't think it's Pixar's best. Every aspect of it felt very blunt compared to their other efforts... they've always had a great ability to say more with less. UP! bashed you over the head with everything from characterization, to repeated gags, to heavily repeated imagery (house on cliff, house on cliff! HOUSE ON CLIFF!).

It was also pretty dark and 'real' feeling for a kids movie. It's been a long time since I was a kid, but I think parts of that would have either confused, bored or scared the crap out of me back then.

In short: see it, but temper your expectations.
  • Luxury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxury polycounter lvl 18
    Atleast Dreamwork pictures have more sophisticated humor hidden within.
    You're kidding right? You have to be kidding since most of Dreamworks humor comes from pop culture "You are the weakest link, goodbye!" bullshit.
  • Laughing_Bun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Laughing_Bun polycounter lvl 17
    Luxury wrote: »
    You're kidding right? You have to be kidding since most of Dreamworks humor comes from pop culture "You are the weakest link, goodbye!" bullshit.

Yah your right I wouldn't call it sophisticated. But atleast its more funny than jokes about dogs chasing squirrels.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I took the fam to it last night. I loved the movie, but my kids really didn't. I agree, that it isn't the best Pixar flick, but it's definitely good. I think it's better for adults than kids though, because the best part IMO, is the story of the adult relationship/promises. I don't think kids connect with that.

I think the movie is a waste for 3D though. At least if you have to pay extra for it, like I did. They started that shit, where you have to pay an extra 2 dollars per person for the 3D. I understand the added cost of the glasses, but if I have my own glasses, should I still have to pay the $2?

I still feel like many of the good comedic parts were given out in commercials/trailers. On the same point, the initial trailers didn't have me interested at all, but the later commercials revealed there was more of a story, and got my money ;)
  • sicsided
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glib wrote: »
    It was also pretty dark and 'real' feeling for a kids movie. It's been a long time since I was a kid, but I think parts of that would have either confused, bored or scared the crap out of me back then.

Fox and the Hound, love the movie, but damn did it bring about fear of losing my friends and others when I was a kid. Granted that's not the same as what happened with Carl and such, but its very true to life what happens to couples all the time. Blunt yes, but Carl also seemed to be a blunt man so I believe it fit.
  • nutsy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nutsy polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome, loved it.
    I applaud their effort in not shooting scenes as if this was a movie presented in 3d, but rather, it seems, they just shot the scenes as if it was nothing more than a movie. For me, 3d is a gimmick, nothing more, nothing less.

I wouldn't rank this as their best effort(Incredibles anyone?), but this movie was absolutely gorgeous, and while maybe aimed at children, the story was quite charming. The opening bit, showing Carl become Carl, with no dialogue mind you, was heartwrenching.

Dug the dog? Perfect. Always had that preoccupied sense about him, even when carrying on a conversation. I'll take the squirrel jokes all day long, thank you very much :D
  • Snight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snight polycounter lvl 16
    just saw it with my fiance, it was superb. Close to one of the best things Pixar has done. Definitely an instant classic!
  • TheMadArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Atleast Dreamwork pictures have more sophisticated humor hidden within.

Pixar's humor will hold up 20 years from now. Dreamwork's will not.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
  • animatr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    animatr polycounter lvl 18
    i loved it.
    but i gotta say, I was shocked they showed blood in there.
    Will be seeing it again at a later showtime to hopefully lessen the presence of children :/

oh yeah, I saw it in 3d and they never showed the short! wtf? I knew there was one, but it went from previews straight to feature. kinda bummed about that too
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah I thought the blood was out of place. I actually said something to my wife right after that scene.
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hollowmind polycounter lvl 18
    I just saw this and loved it, too. Though a couple of my kids were bored with it. Very cool story. I didn't think the opening sequence was really sad. They had a full, happy life together. :) Fucking hell I'm a big sap...

The blood seemed out of place in a Pixar movie but they probably wanted it in there to show the seriousness of his offense, even though it was mostly an accident.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    It was a good, weird, movie. I felt there were maybe a bit too many gags. It seems past Pixar movies haven't had to resort to that. I thought the Star Wars gag in particular fell flat as well as being cheap.

I would rank this one a little bit above Cars, but below their other recent films. Still, pretty outstanding.
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack polycounter lvl 10
    someone remind me.....when was there blood? I truly dont remember it.

Felt the movie was amazing, and there were plenty of subtle moments! Deffinately a must purchase for me.
  • Murdoc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Murdoc polycounter lvl 11
    stimpack wrote: »
    someone remind me.....when was there blood? I truly dont remember it.

Felt the movie was amazing, and there were plenty of subtle moments! Deffinately a must purchase for me.

at the start where the guy got nailed by the cane for stealing the mailbox.

The movie was pretty good, but not there best, as others have mentioned it was kind of a one note movie. Though the use of guns and blood was welcomed. (not everything needs it, but the more mature oriented outings of pixar have been my favorite stuff)
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Just saw it with my buddies... really enjoyed it, I'm more excited for the "newer" movies that will continue to use the 3D rendering / effect etc.

Really impressed at how pixar can pull at your heart strings one second, then bring you back around to laughing at another, I think (personally for me) this is my favourite movie from pixar so far, I'm looking forward to their newer "mature...er" direction.
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hollowmind polycounter lvl 18
    Definitely my favorite right behind the Incredibles. What's with all these Toy Story sequels? Dammit! I need Incredibles 2!
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    Just saw it tonight--wow!!
    No one even say the name Ellie--I might leak fluids from my eyes again o.o I just remember being all... "wtf? Why am I so emotional over this?? ;_;" during the movie. I guess that's the power of Pixar?

Right now, I'm pretty sure I still prefer Wall-E and some of the other Pixar movies to this one, but this one is still amazing. (Did I expect anything less from Pixar?) I very much enjoyed the Squirrel jokes, as well as the brilliant animation on the dogs in general, since it was all very true--Haven't you ever seen a dog around squirrels? :P

I gotta say, I felt it was a little shorter than I would have liked, and felt like it was missing a little something further along in the story--not sure what though. Hence Wall-E and other of Pixar's still holding higher on my list.

The short was also very amusing and cute, I liked it a lot, but where I think it fell short was the ending packed less of a punch than one like Presto or other past ones. They always feel like they're building up to a lot, and this one didn't quite satisfy as much. Awesome nonetheless :)

P.S. I won't lie--I'm excited for Toy Story 3, as long as they do a good job. The first was OK to me, but I LOVED the second. Hoping they continue getting better! Cars 2 though? I could do without that (get over Cars, Mr John Lasseter, its really not your best)
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    One of my favorite movies ever.

Saw it twice already.

:D
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Aesthetically I thought the movie was beautiful. The montage of their life at the beginning pulled on the old heart strings a handful of times.

That said, it really felt flat to me. For some reason the entire story was just.. 'hmmph', to me.
    I mean he finally gets to the spot on the rock, and leaves immediately. It just seemed so anti-climatic. Sure, it ends up there at the end and that is REALLY touching, but when he got there then leaves, it almost made the entire previous events seem... pointless?
    Not sure I am articulating how I am feeling.

Partly Cloudy was great.

I loved the credits and how each department had their own image, within context. Fun!
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    adamBrome wrote: »
    Aesthetically I thought the movie was beautiful. The montage of their life at the beginning pulled on the old heart strings a handful of times.

That said, it really felt flat to me. For some reason the entire story was just.. 'hmmph', to me.
    I mean he finally gets to the spot on the rock, and leaves immediately. It just seemed so anti-climatic. Sure, it ends up there at the end and that is REALLY touching, but when he got there then leaves, it almost made the entire previous events seem... pointless?
    Not sure I am articulating how I am feeling.

Partly Cloudy was great.

I loved the credits and how each department had their own image, within context. Fun!
    Dude, he was going there to die. Alone. And sad. Instead he decided to continue his life and have new experiences. Nottttt pointless.
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah I'm with aesir on this one. Character change for the win!

Even so, I was disappointed. I even think cars was better. most Pixar films are extremely concise and have deep, well expressed stories. this story was a tad watered down.. the theme wasn't as deeply expressed or as complex as their other films, and it had fluff, from a story perspective --

to be honest, it stank like Disney. I'll bet anything they had their 'family magic' hand in the creative pie. no doubt.
    seriously, talking dogs? are you fucking kidding?
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    adamBrome wrote: »
    The point was that the "goal" WAS meaningless. It was everything else that mattered. I would break it down like this. You have the Old Dude, the Wife, the Kid and the Explorer. The Old Dude has lived his life well but thinks maybe he is missing out because of his unrealized goal. You have the wife who realized the goal is not important but is dead. The kid who has a goal but it is only a means of achieving time with his dad, and the explorer who has put his goals ahead of everything else and gone insane

I wouldn't say the movie had no depth, but I also agree that it felt a bit cheap for some reason.