Home General Discussion

GRIN! LAYOFFS

ae.
polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
ae. polycounter lvl 12
Sounds shitty is it true?

http://kotaku.com/5271661/rumor-mass-layoffs-hit-bionic-commando-developer-grin

grin is one of the companies i would love to work at! sux if these rumors are true :(

Replies

• Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    doh

Were you one of those cut, Peris?
  • Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    no, i lucked out. Some really good people were let go, good friends of mine.
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    this shit needs to slooooww down already >:{
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    fuuuuck! iv got a couple of friends in the barcelona and stockholm studios...hope theyr fine! best of luck to the rest of you
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    damn! You would figure they would do that once they get in the sales numbers first...
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    sheeeeit, grin is one of the top places of my to work at list, sad to hear it, you guys have been pumping out titles like mad! best of luck to anyone effected.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    ouch, that's a lot of jobs... good luck to those out of work :/

we're looking for a technical animator and a graphics programmer if anyone wants to pass stuff along.
  • Christian Hjerpe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Christian Hjerpe polycounter lvl 11
    This sucks. Didnt they just put out 3 big titles? Wanted, Bionic and Terminator Salvation?
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    But wanted bombed I think (I thought it was pretty cool). Terminator i have no clue about. Bionic is getting good reviews though.
  • Christian Hjerpe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Christian Hjerpe polycounter lvl 11
    I was reading like two weeks ago an article about the swedish game developers and how almost all of the big ones was working on projects with $200 million budgets and things was going in the right direction considering the economics in the world.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    and now they are jobless on one of europe's most expensive cities.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sh!t, this blows...
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hope everyone lands on their feet, I'm surprised too seeing as they've just released 3 games. Must not have sold well then?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    humm... or its the typical hire just before release and fire just after? Hopefully that's not the case. Probably not, most places don't hire full time staff for that kind of crunch. But there are still a few bastards out there that like to treat people like contract workers without them knowing it.
  • FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FAT_CAP polycounter lvl 18
    Best of luck to everyone affected.

It really seems like a lot of places are getting made redundant recently - bad times indeed.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    best of luck!

I imagine it was also a choice of having all three games finish so soon from each other. All of a sudden you're faced with 3 full teams and not much work to do.

Gotta stair step those projects.
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    best of luck!

I imagine it was also a choice of having all three games finish so soon from each other. All of a sudden you're faced with 3 full teams and not much work to do.

I think you're right.
    Also, when you get into full production mode on such a huge scale, and have to blow up the team sizes, maybe it would be smart to in-house contract the positions. So they know that after the game is done it's time to move on. I know that has it's issues too, But really, It's wrong to hire somebody at the "Polish Phase" of a project, treat them like they are gonna be with the company forever, Get them all comfortable so they decorate their cube and get all cozy, then at the end of the project Lay off everybody but the core team. Mentally, it would just be nicer to know strait up the when the project is over, the Team will Deflate.
    Like I said though, this does have it's issues too, like relocation expenses and whatnot.
    But I hear that's how they roll in Hollywood with the carpentry and set building positions, they know they are only gonna be there for a while, but it's cool because the next gig is just across the street.
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    Josh_Singh wrote: »
    I think you're right.
    Also, when you get into full production mode on such a huge scale, and have to blow up the team sizes, maybe it would be smart to in-house contract the positions. So they know that after the game is done it's time to move on. I know that has it's issues too, But really, It's wrong to hire somebody at the "Polish Phase" of a project, treat them like they are gonna be with the company forever, Get them all comfortable so they decorate their cube and get all cozy, then at the end of the project Lay off everybody but the core team. Mentally, it would just be nicer to know strait up the when the project is over, the Team will Deflate.
    Like I said though, this does have it's issues too, like relocation expenses and whatnot.
    But I hear that's how they roll in Hollywood with the carpentry and set building positions, they know they are only gonna be there for a while, but it's cool because the next gig is just across the street.

QFT

best of luck to everyone affected !
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh wrote: »
    I think you're right.

Frankly I'd rather have the false sense of security. At least I'd get severance on the way out if they'd made it a permanent position, which really helps ease the transition.
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19

Yep. It's also tough that all three titles were licensed IP. GRIN could neither monkey with the release dates (especially with the movie IP), nor could they plan for sequels or follow on projects. They are entirely at the whim of the license holders, and its the employees that suffer the consequences.

I was very impressed with GRIN and what they were able to do with these games, but it's still a tough way of doing business that has sunk many developers. Maybe a publisher will give them a shot with an original title now and give them a chance to control their own destiny. If that doesn't happen, they will need more investment or a buyout very very soon.
  • _Shimmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Shimmer polycounter lvl 18
    i cant say i didnt saw this one coming, but i am still very suprised this happend so early and in this way (shortly before e3).
    Bad planning? act of precaution? to many projects not enough revenue? act of total betrayal against employees? pfft, really weird.

considering their buisnessplans or whatever its seems crazy they opened these offices and wanted to shop more.

well, best of luck to all ! if somebody plans on moving to germany, shall drop me a line.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    seems it's rather tough right now to secure new projects, so even if you 'stair step', payroll might still eat you alive before the next check comes around.

shame, watching from the sidelines i thought grin was shaping up well. best of luck to the affected ones indeed!
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    sad sad news...

I imagine they didn't sell too many copies as to compensate the investment on the different projects.
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    best of luck to all affected, sounds like hard times indeed.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer wrote: »
    sad sad news...

I imagine they didn't sell too many copies as to compensate the investment on the different projects.
    I don't know the specifics of their deals, but I think in general when studios take on IP from publishers I think the pub puts up cash up front and then installments as milestones are met and very little if none at all profit sharing after the title ships. So they could be selling really well but most of it is going to the publisher, who is busy shoring up their bottom line and not starting up as many new projects?

But seriously with the caliber of work they've been cranking out I hope they land something, long and lasting.
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vig. Caliber of work? 2 out of the 3 games bombed.

Metacritic.
    Wanted: 62 / 100
    Terminator: 48-50 / 100

But then again. Bionic commando rearmed did well and so does the remake. So maybe it´s the studios themselves that weren´t handled properly? (The 2 good ones were made in Stockholm and yes it would be cool if they got to do something of their own this time)
  • o2car
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    o2car polycounter lvl 16
    Bionic commando Metacritic is 69-71 / 100.
    I was hoping they would score better, since I have tons of friends there and looked forward to play it.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    After Terminator: Salvation, who didn't see this coming...
  • flow3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flow3d polycounter lvl 18
    meh, like some have pointed out all ready. 2/3 games (3/3 if you ask me) dont really have much to offer, bombed.

the messed up part is that the people being sacked are probably artists and whatever kind of programmers. not the gamedesigners and gameplay programmers, the people who messed it up.
    gamedesigners, who in my book are the worst kinds of people in gamedev to begin with..
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vig. Caliber of work? 2 out of the 3 games bombed.

Metacritic.
    Wanted: 62 / 100
    Terminator: 48-50 / 100

But then again. Bionic commando rearmed did well and so does the remake. So maybe it´s the studios themselves that weren´t handled properly? (The 2 good ones were made in Stockholm and yes it would be cool if they got to do something of their own this time)
    The only one I wouldn't touch is Wanted.The game and the movie just never appealed to me the game looked rushed and like the typical movie tie-in but it didn't look that bad.

Bionic and Terminator looked good and both looked fun. Maybe some stiff animation in Terminator but the environments and models look good. I haven't played either of them yet so both could be steaming piles of crap, but based on what I've seen online Terminator looked good and looks like it might be fun. I think it just shipped didn't it? And people always trash movie IP tie-in's.

Trailer looked all right:
    http://www.gametrailers.com/video/spike-vga-terminator-salvation/43637
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vig: Yeah the graphics look nice. :)

And i agree with flow3d.

PS: I tried Wanted and it did have some cool things in it though.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    but don't forget sales work both way.. even if the game is amazing if the film is shite, you can't count on the sales. and wanted was shite
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    Best of luck to all affected, it sucks hearing about this happening everywhere week after week...
    I wish best not only to those let go but also to those who still have their job, its gotta be hard seeing so many mates leave and it cant be easy on the morale.

:(
  • Rox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rox
    Vig wrote: »
    While you're on GT, why not take a look at their review, too?
    http://www.gametrailers.com/video/review-hd-terminator-salvation/49399

Of course I don't trust a review blindly, but a 4 hour long campaign and no online multiplayer... doesn't sound like a game I'd buy. Ever.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, I know a lad over here who got it for the Achievments, and got all of them in just under three hours, not 4... Thats terrible. He took it back and got his money back...

But about the only good thing about it is the Gears style cover system. The art, animations, models and voice acting are terrible...

Trouble is with the T:S game, it could of been VERY well done if the devs actually cared for it, but they wanted it out in time for the film, which is a classic mistake.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    odium wrote: »
    Trouble is with the T:S game, it could of been VERY well done if the devs actually cared for it, but they wanted it out in time for the film, which is a classic mistake.

Er, pretty sure it's the publishers who push the release date, not the developers. The developers may well have cared a lot, but if the publisher is leaning on them and won't take no for an answer, there's absolutely nothing they can do other than finish the game on time and on budget.

For someone who claims to know a lot about game development, you really do make some monumentally silly remarks a lot of the time.
  • Rox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rox
    odium wrote: »
    Yeah, I know a lad over here who got it for the Achievments, and got all of them in just under three hours, not 4... Thats terrible. He took it back and got his money back...
    Yeah. Reviews tend to be pretty generous with playtime, I've noticed. Seven hours for Halo 3, they all said. I think I beat it in eight or so. A friend of mine beat it in just under five, his first time playing it... When they say four hours, I expect four if you're lounging about and taking your time.

I wonder how anyone can think it's a good idea to release a four-hour-at-best long game with no multiplayer and expect people to pay full price for it. I've played indie freeware games with much, much better longevity and incentive to keep playing.
  • Zack Fowler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Fowler polycounter lvl 11
    Vig wrote: »
    ... but the environments and models look good.

Yeah, I remember seeing screens for Terminator and thinking it looked really good, visually speaking, for a movie tie-in. It's a shame that artists are being let go because frankly it sounds like the art production is not the reason that the games suffered. All of GRIN's games that I've seen had good visuals, but I'm guessing they just aren't injecting the proper degree of fun and addictive game design. What they need to do is get better designers.

It's a bummer, but that's what can happen when you're dealing with such a wildly multidisciplinary medium, eh?
  • Mique
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mique polycounter lvl 11
    that's some really shitty news, the only cool game developer where I live shuts down =(
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    Mique wrote: »
    that's some really shitty news, the only cool game developer where I live shuts down =(

No I dont think they are shutting down, they are letting some people go.
  • ae.
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    Sad news, I just played through Bionic Commando a few days back and I thought it was a fine game (and quite beautiful). Good luck to all the the Grin peeps looking for new jobs.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Sorry to hear that :/
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    Yeah, it really sucks :( They didn't deserve that :( I guess its a combination of expanding rapidly, failure to reach commercial success with their last three releases, and the economic climate. :(
  • MartinKDahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MartinKDahl polycounter lvl 17
    WTF! two of my closest friends got the shaft. This his horrible....
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Wow... Grin has been one of my favourite studios for a long, long time, the art they produce is absolutely inspiring. I can't believe it has come to this though...

I wish everyone the best of luck, you're all crazy talented and I know you'll land back on your feet in no time!
  • peppi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peppi polycounter lvl 18
    This isn't a huge surprise after the layoffs in May.. still crap though. Hope everyone will have a smooth landing.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    sorry to hear. lots of shit going down recently
  • PixelGoat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelGoat polycounter lvl 12
    Some crazy talented people there with whom I have had the privilege to work with personally. Best of luck to you all.