Home Technical Talk

3dsmax 2010, graphite modling tools gone

sublime tool
Offline / Send Message
renderhjs sublime tool
what the image says:
max2010graphitegone.gif

anyone knows which switch to flip in order to get it back? I heard that the panel is based on XML files - maybe they are gone? - at least I was not aware of disabling them at any point - just with the next start they went missing.

Replies

• renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    ok restarted my computer and its now back, odd thing
  • solar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    solar polycounter lvl 18
    Speaking of the graphite tools, anyone had the extend tool (previously border tool) just stop working. Won't start working again for me unless I restart max.
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    Seems that restarting max is still a good way to fix a number of issues. :D
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Renderhjs: I have the graphite tools assigned to a hot key so I can quickly show it or hide it. If you look in your customize user-interface section its under "Graphite Modeling Tools..." Like I said, this opens and closes that interface.

Since we are on the topic of broken stuff in max 2010. I have the 64 bit version and smoothing groups have completely went haywire. This occurred with a project I was working on for about a month. It may have been a messed up file or something, but it kept happening on this particular project.
    In this case, I notice that if I attached something, this would often mess up the smoothing groups (it looks like they are flipped inside-out, but they aren't) and if you try to undo the attach; it crashes max. I am guessing it all has to do with the new real-time preview features creating problems with one's graphic card (I have a 8800gt which seems to be pretty standard these days and shouldn't cause problems).
    If the smoothing groups go all crazy on a mesh, sometimes flipping them and flipping them back fixes it, but other times it doesn't. The smooth all feature (can't really remember its specific name) but the shortcut that assigns all smoothing groups the same number is completely broken (only) when I am having these smoothing groups errors.
    If I save the scene, and restart 3ds max, the issue is NOT resolved.
    The only resolution I have found is to export the messed up model to 3ds max 2009. Import the mesh (max2009) reassign the smoothing groups as needed. Then export (max2009) and import back into max 2010. Then pray they don't get all messed up again, or make sure that you don't change the smoothing group settings or attach / unattached objects as you have them.

This is my only major gripe with max 2010. Hopefully its something they fix soon because its enough to completely ruin my experience with max 2010.

Anyone else run into this problem?
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    i havent had any problems with smoothing groups. have you tried the smooth option in the graphite tools? also they just released a hotfix recently