Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

W.I.P - "Boogerman" remake.

Hey guys, i've decided that I want to bring back an old (and corny) video game character glorified in 3D for fun and Boogerman was top of the list.

I don't think I want to take this character down the "ultra realistic 10'000'000 poly sculpt" route and instead try and keep it simple but next gen (style of Ratchet & Clank/Team Fortress 2).

Here's the original character (For those that don't know him).

362149-boogerman___a_pick_and_flick_adventure_coverart_large.png

I don't want to simply recreate a 3D version of the above but rather
update him, changing his proportions and adding detail to his costume.

Here are some thumbnails for the kind of proportions i'm looking at, keeping his upper half quite bulky but under emphasizing his leg:

Things that I want to implement for definate:

* Snot dripping from the hands (perhaps covering a hand in snot).
* Giving him a chest logo.
* Maybe modelling a sidekick.

thumbnailsw.jpg

Hopefully I can keep updating this thread before the next Dom War mini.

Replies

• NiGHTS2o06
    Hey guys, started working on a base mesh for sculpting. Still unsure of the final proportions (taking into account that I dont want to go into crazy detail but rather enough just to push out the basic form).

With this not relying on the standard convention for creating humans, it appears to be more difficult to create proportions that are exaggerated and yet just look "right".

basemesh1.jpg
  • Bronco
    Offline / Send Message
    Bronco polycounter lvl 18
    Hey!.

This aint a bad start. I know its WIP so what im about to sy no doubt will be done at somepoint anyway im sure :).

*Arms need more muscle definition,too cylindrical right now.
    * in the orginal his hips come in alot more and the legs look closer together with his gut hanging over more. I think that big gut is a feature ya just gotta bring across :).

looking forward to seeing where this goes.

John
  • NiGHTS2o06
    Bronco: Ive tried not to define the arms too much as I want to do this in Mudbox. I agree, the stomach also needs more definition but again, im going to see how much of this I can add in Mudbox so I can avoid adding too many edge loops in the base mesh.

Heres another update (hopefully I can get one more in tommorow before I go on holiday for a few days). This is still only the base mesh for the sculpt. I want to get everything right before I take it into Mudbox.

basemesh2.jpg
  • NiGHTS2o06
    After a short break away, ive started working on some sculpting ideas for the character. I'm trying not to define everything in extreme amounts of detail as I'm still going for the cartoony "less is more" approach. The material of the costume will be more latex rather than conventional material so im limited with clothing creases.

sculpt1.jpg
  • pangarang
    Offline / Send Message
    pangarang polycounter lvl 11
    It took me a second to realize that his chin is actually his chin and not some tumor growing out of his face. I think this is cause - looking at the 2D art, the size of his chin is actually a combination of the jaw and chin. On your 3D model, they are two separate entities.

Also comparing the art to the model - 2D, the hips are 1/4th the width of his shoulders. 3D, they're about 7/8ths.

The nostrils are much to big compared to the 2D image, and given their width, make the proportion of the nose to the mouth a lot larger than it is in the concept.

My personal opinion - it's better to have the mesh match as closely to the concept in silhouette BEFORE taking it to a sculpting program like mudbox or zbrush.
  • NiGHTS2o06
    Thanks Pangarang but I did state in the original message that the character im creating is more of a re-envisioning of the original character, not an exact remake. The proportional changes are purposely done as I want to re-create the character in a different style (hence the addition of the logo and the removal of the torn clothes).
  • conte
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
  • tadpole3159
    Offline / Send Message
    tadpole3159 polycounter lvl 12
  • woogity
    proportions could defiantly use a second look man, for such a cartoony character where there isnt tons of detail to distract the viewer form things like proportion, you really have to nail them. the upper head could be much smaller and the chin much bigger.

even tho you are going to do high to low poly with some high frequency details, its still not a complex design and the proportions could benefit from some more concepting. Good luck on the updates, love the idea behind it, poor boogerman seems to have fallen out of favor the last 15 years :(

-Woog
  • Muzzoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Good start.

Keep in mind that a direct translation will not work too well as this character was designed for simplistic 2d sprites. Rather badly designed as well. So be prepared to change somethings if they dont read to your audience, instead sell the character through general proportions and masses. Good art are both as important as each other so dont go sacrificing good art for accuracy.

(hence the addition of the logo and the removal of the torn clothes).

and thus removing the most recognisable part of the character.... There isnt much on him that is recognisable as it is. He might as well have the name of generic man!
  • NiGHTS2o06
    Thanks for the feedback guys. Yeah the "chinballs" are now gone, replaced with a more conventional (if you can call it conventional) chin. Changed the proportions of the character a little although im reasonably happy with the new outcome. I want to work on the cape more as its quickly sculpted just as a placeholder.

sculpt2.jpg
  • NiGHTS2o06
    Hey,

decided on the final sculpt and have built the low poly mesh. Its currently clocking at 4'466 tri's.

lowpoly.jpg

sculpt3.jpg
  • Indecom
    Offline / Send Message
    Indecom polycounter lvl 16
    Hmm not bad, but the chin is like, i dunno, its a bit much compared to the rest of his face. Like, it looks flat, i recommend shortening it, or adjusting the rest of the head to match.
  • NiGHTS2o06
    Indecom: I tried shortening the chin but I felt it took some of the personality away so instead I made it a bit thicker to compensate. I think it works now.

I've created the normals and ambient occlusion (I've converted to XNormal, its great :D) and started working on the texture.

lowpoly2s.jpg
  • NiGHTS2o06
    Hey guys, think im done. Might work some more over the weekend on posing (not a big fan of rigging but I might as well give it a try).

lowpoly3.jpg