Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP Gun: NewB Needs Help!

Replies

• BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    nrek: Thank you, and all very good points so I really appreciate the crits.
    I fixed the stuff you mentioned and it only cost an extra 20 tri's so its definitely worth it.

Here's what it looks like now:

TriggerFix.jpg
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    sweet! nice UV usage too!
  • Loraine Howard iii
    That's one bad ass looking gun, after I'm done with that big monster I'm working on I'll try to do a gun too. I was looking at the time you posted your pics up, correct if I'm wrong but it only took you 5 days to model the gun in max? Keep up the good work, I can't wait to see it texture.... Oh and by the way buy Tumerboy 4 cases of beer he deserves it.lol:)
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Looking great Brad. You have just been an improve-a-saurus lately.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Tumerboy: Thanks :)

Loraine Howard: Ha ha, and thanks. I have been working on this gun off and on, but I have learned a lot so next time it will be faster. In total it really hasn't been fast work, as it has been a month now from when I started.

Cody: Heh, thanks man! Always good to hear.

Here are the textures I came up with; made specifically for the Marmoset Engine (by 8 Monkey Labs).
    You will probably notice some seams there, but they are just in my specular and diffuse atm and I will fix them in Bodypaint soon.
    I figured I would fix the seams in Bodypaint once I get some crits on the textures first. This way if I make adjustments, I don't create whole new seams. Also, I still have to level the textures and make some minor tweaks.
    So, please let me know what I can do to make this better before I call it done.

KrissScreenShot_MarmosetEngine.jpg
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    It looks bad ass Brad! This really damn pumped you up a notch or five! My ONLY crit is it feels too dirty and splotchy. Like the threshold is a bit high in the spec map or something... i dunno,it feels old and it's a new gun, not an m1 or mg42..... Just my opinion really, but it looks ace!
  • Rumkugel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rumkugel polycounter lvl 14
    Your Eotech seems to be a bit squashed:

http://mikonos.globat.com/~joeworld-online.com/news/uploads/fig_18_eotech_holo_scope.jpg

good ref:
    http://www.pixagogo.com/2722774636

like bert said,
    the overall texture is way too random with the dirt.

the chipped paint looks ok.
    hint: the fire selector often leaves a circular mark near the base of the axis, that comes from a ball bearing or similar.

plastic parts that originally have a rough surface, might wear off with the time and appear more even, thus a tighter spec. this often appears around the grip.

you also have a nasty seam on top of the stock.

keep it up :)
  • dolemite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn this is awesome work! I think I'm going to start a thread like it soon. So inspiring.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    wow, nice work Brad! Looks great!

. . . but flip down your sights. . .
  • Loraine Howard iii
    All I have to say is WOW. Man you stepping your Game up.lol Great Job!!!
  • Kimono
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kimono polycounter lvl 10
    Pretty nice mate. Possibly some things to think about:

-The texture looks confused. The dark metal is extremely cloudy and at times it almost resembles charcoal.

-I'd also say remove alot of the noise in the metal, it'll aid in differentiating the metal from the polymer.

-You have edging literally everywhere, on the sides, bottoms and tops of things. I know I do this sometimes and it always hurts the final product, try making it a bit more localised and less like somebody has deliberately set out to wear the finish off.

That being said I'm a fan :>
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    Yo brad whats cookin' :)

Dude this gun is looking fine as hell.I absolutely love the fps view, 100% what i would expect to see in an actual game.
    good job.youre improving fast man.real fast.
  • vj_box
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Insane Brad! Love the details and the real time render on this!
  • dolemite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll give you a beer if you post the spec map wip :)
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello! Good job, Brad. This is Jon from UAT. I've gotta say you've made a lot of improvements to your modeling and I'm noticing significant improvement in your texturing skills as well.

For this project, I think you could add a couple more soft highlights to the edges of geometry in the FPS view that appear dark. For instance around the edges of this dark area here:

bradmyre.jpg

Overall, impressive work and presentation. Just remember to avoid some of those black areas or to make them pop with edge highlights.

Show us your texture sheets! Thanks man, good luck to you!
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
    o wow really nice work...great hi poly n textures to boot. 1 thing I'd say tho for your presentation would be to scale down your images a bit. You're most likely almost never going to get that close to the gun in game, so why should your renders be that big as well?
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Firebert: Thanks, yeah, the whole time I was texturing I was telling myself not to go overboard with the dirt and scratches, but its hard to resist sometimes. I backed it off a little; but next time I'll be more careful.

Rumkugel: Awe man, where were you when I was doing the high poly. Those are great EO tech references. Unfortunately, I think I'm done tweaking this but thanks anyways. I did fix the seams as promised though.

dolemite: Much appreciated. It would be cool if you did start a thread like this, trust me you will be happy you did. Also, I have the textures here if you are still interested. You should be able to make out most of it at the 512 res, but if not let me know and I will post higher res versions.

Tumerboy: They are flipped down now. :) Thanks again for all the support.

Loraine Howard: Thank you.

Kimono: Hey, thanks for the crits. I agree with everything you said, and I backed off the edging a bit with the final textures. I checked out your site too, you have some really awesome guns there. I'll be sure to not make the same mistakes next time.

butt_sahib: Thanks for the encouragement, much appreciated.

vj_box: Thanks, yeah 8 Monkey labs hooked us up good by letting us use there engine. It's great because its so simplistic yet powerful.

408: Hey Jon, nice hearing from you and thanks. Yeah, I tried to clean up as much of those little things as I could with the final textures here.

EricV: Your definitely right about the big render sizes and it got me thinking about pulling back the camera because I don't want such a distorted view anyways (due to the FOV). The renders I am about to show are still pretty big I know, but they will be a little smaller when I post them on my website.

Well I made some changes here taking the advice given. The most noticeable changes are that the specular edging has been cut down and used more sparingly, and the levels adjustments and post processing I did (to make the light not so yellow).
    As you will see, textures are included in the image, but if you guys want to see them at full res, I would happy to post that as well. Hopefully the changes I made are for the better, I'm gonna call this one done for now. Thanks for the help everyone, especially Tumerboy, I owe you one (or several) buddy.

By they way, if anyone is exporting .obj from max Be Careful! I notice at the last minute that it was messing up my uv's and making the normals and stuff weird looking. For some reason, if I export from max 2009 instead of max 2010 it wouldn't mess my model up. Just thought I would share.

FinalKrissPresentationSheet.jpg
  • dolemite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for posting those flats!

Are you worried about the bent body UVWs on the body of the Kriss? I guess you relaxed it out that way?

I ask because I'm dealing with this dilemma in my own work: Relax to get non-warped UVWs, but get funny pixelization along straight lines. Keep it straight in UVW, and there is a distortion, but the pixels are straight along straight lines.

I'm not sure which is the better way to go, or if it even matters at such high res.

Great work man! I'll put a beer in the mail and write "New York" on it.
  • Rumkugel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rumkugel polycounter lvl 14
    Generally spoken, "straight" uvw´s are usually better within game environments (especially for hardsurface things), since you can get your texture more crisp and its easier to texture them.

organic parts are a different matter imho.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    the uvw is a tad messy, but what i think this piece lacks is material definition, because it looks nothing like plastic nor metal , id suggest pay attention to reference about them , use the specular full power , specially on marmoset , 70% of the work goes into the specular, take a look at the sample assets to know what i mean :) but i think you have a solid HP model , so just work on that spec !
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Dolemite: No problem. Yeah there is definitely a balance that is needed when doing your UVW's. I probably let them get too organic (like Rumkugel pointed out) because I am used to doing characters more. I use mainly unfold 3d magic which has a tendency to give you the more organic uvs. But I always fix up my uvw's in 3ds max, and that's where I straighten a lot of stuff up. My uvw's are way more straight then they were when Unfold was finished, but I could probably have straightened them out more in 3ds max. The major issues I run into really are when I am trying to get nice text (like EOTECH on the sides). With the current layout I have, just typing it out would give you messed up results, because everything is not straight on my uvw's. But, I don't really worry about that, because I use Bodypaint, and just project the text right on there. So I do have my work arounds, but generally speaking I think you may want your uv's a little more straight when doing a gun like this, then the way I have them currently.

Johny: Hey, thanks a bunch for the crit. It definitely got me thinking, and I opened up the "Jebus" mesh to see what they had there. I was pretty surprised by how reflective it is. But then I noticed its setup to look good in indirect light, as oppose to direct light (I have the gun in direct light). It makes sense now, why they are able to use such bright spec maps and not have everything blown out in there results.
    So...
    Here is the Kriss in indirect light with the spec strength increased. I think it may be reading better; but I have to change some stuff on the spec if I go this route (the bullets are too bright for instance)

Here is the Kriss in indirect sunlight with the spec turned up. Please let me know if it is reading better, and I if should adjust my specular map to fit these settings.

KrissIndirectSunlight.jpg
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    hey man i dont think jeebus is the best mesh since it is supposed to be marble :P take a look at the sample mesh at the start of the thread the M7 and CW :) and pay attention to refs and how metal works, reeealy tricky.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Johny: I see what you mean about the Jeebus mesh and I took a look at EQ's examples instead. I tried using the same values EQ used for the spec material and then I tweaked my diffuse and specular maps accordingly; unfortunately it wasn't working all that well. So I am afraid that I either have to redo my diffuse and specular entirely or just call it done and move on.

So, lesson learned I'm just going to move on. Certainly I will approach the textures differently next time and I'm sure they will turn out better as a result.
    Thanks for the advice man.